Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

Has anyone read either of the two Thackery T Lambshead books that Mieville's contributed to? They sound pretty interesting but I'm not sure if the concept of either of the books would hold up for 300 pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

regularizer posted:

Has anyone read either of the two Thackery T Lambshead books that Mieville's contributed to? They sound pretty interesting but I'm not sure if the concept of either of the books would hold up for 300 pages.

I have the first one (the compendium of diseases) and it's pretty hilarious. The second book (cabinet of items?) just looks dull to me though. Anyway, if you get Miéville's short story collection Looking For Jake, it has the entry from the medical encyclopedia. Maybe a future collection will include the second piece.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I like the Cabinet of Curiosities a lot more personally, though I think both of them suffer if you try and read more than 2 or 3 stories a day.

Homemaster
Nov 17, 2012

by XyloJW

BigSkillet posted:

He's complaining as though he's never even heard of Kim Stanley Robinson, Gene Wolfe, or even Jeff Vandermeer -- Mieville's on the lower end of what could be considered 'pretentious literary sci-fi' if he thinks that sort of thing is really worth going all theatre-major-stereotype over.

But getting back to pretentious things, there's an academic journal called Extrapolation who had an entire issue of essays analyzing China Mieville books in Volume 50 Issue 2. It looks like their digital back issues cost $26, but you might be able to get it via EBSCO if you have access through college.

Excellent catch! Based on that, the sea at the end could be the Mariana Trench?

Thankee sai, just downloaded this issue through my university. And here I was with plans and dreams!

This is my new favourite thread on the entire Internet btw. Have the sketches of Jack Half-a-prayer and Toro been posted yet?

Homemaster
Nov 17, 2012

by XyloJW
Also, I personally thought IC was the worst of the three Bas-lag books, only in that his pretentiousness was more apparent. The explanation in this thread makes sense though.

And of course, flesh elementals forgive all.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Homemaster posted:

This is my new favourite thread on the entire Internet btw. Have the sketches of Jack Half-a-prayer and Toro been posted yet?

Well cool :3:

And no, no they haven't!

Homemaster
Nov 17, 2012

by XyloJW
Sah good, Toro is the best imo.

Homemaster
Nov 17, 2012

by XyloJW

taser rates posted:

I like the Cabinet of Curiosities a lot more personally, though I think both of them suffer if you try and read more than 2 or 3 stories a day.

Read this thread in the morning, popped into my local bookshop this arvo, and what do I see. Looking forward to having a gander.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I read and loved Embassytown the other week. It's possibly my favourite Mieville book now - everything about it just clicked perfectly for me. It also features the best George Romero reference in anything ever.

I hope he gets around to writing more (equally unique) stories in the same broad universe.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Where's the Romero reference? I must have missed it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Where's the Romero reference? I must have missed it.

At one point while the humans are holed up in Embassytown, unable to do anything about the zombalien crisis, they watch ancient movies to keep themselves occupied. One movie reminds them a lot about their situation, about survivors trapped in an "edifice for products" (shopping mall), and Avice's narration notes that the movie was some ancient Georgian or Roman film.

Similar kind of in-universe factual error to that of characters in Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space universe thinking "Neal Gagarin" was the first person to walk on the moon.

edit: Found the quote from the prose:

Artists plumbed our archives, digital archaeology, back millions of hours, to the antediasporan age. They pulled up corroded ancient fictions to screen. “These ones are Georgian or Roman, I gather,” one organiser told me. “They talk early Anglo, though.” Men and women bled of colour, in clumsy symbolism, fortified in a house and fighting grossly sick figures. Colour came back, and protagonists were in an edifice full of products, and sicker enemies than before relentlessly came for them. We read the story as ours, of course.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Nov 20, 2012

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Hedrigall posted:

At one point while the humans are holed up in Embassytown, unable to do anything about the zombalien crisis, they watch ancient movies to keep themselves occupied. One movie reminds them a lot about their situation, about survivors trapped in an "edifice for products" (shopping mall), and Avice's narration notes that the movie was some ancient Georgian or Roman film.

Similar kind of in-universe factual error to that of characters in Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space universe thinking "Neal Gagarin" was the first person to walk on the moon.

edit: Found the quote from the prose:

Artists plumbed our archives, digital archaeology, back millions of hours, to the antediasporan age. They pulled up corroded ancient fictions to screen. “These ones are Georgian or Roman, I gather,” one organiser told me. “They talk early Anglo, though.” Men and women bled of colour, in clumsy symbolism, fortified in a house and fighting grossly sick figures. Colour came back, and protagonists were in an edifice full of products, and sicker enemies than before relentlessly came for them. We read the story as ours, of course.

Christ, the things I miss reading Mieville :doh:

Homemaster
Nov 17, 2012

by XyloJW
:holymoley:

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Seems he has had the notion of zombification on the mind a bit recently. I really wish he'd update his blog more.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

So I finally finished reading The Scar before new year's, and it was a good tale, but I just took so long to read it, partly from life-ADD, and partly because it is a detached sort of read, it's always about people going somewhere and getting ready to do... something. There were plenty of good ideas, of course, and none were really overused. The climax as such, was about as expected, really (I suppose you could say there were like 3 or 4, anyway). I like how he tries to defy normal plot convention as well, so that works. Hopefully he'll have another Bas Lag story some day.

Also, anytime I visualized Bellis, this is who I saw: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0931404/

On to Embassytown!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Very slow for news lately :what:

Oh well, here's another lovely paperback cover to tide us over:

I did comment on a Tor UK blog post about upcoming books in 2013, asking if there was a Miéville novel scheduled for this year. All they said was that he's busy writing, and something about patience :sigh:

Oxybeles
Feb 1, 2013
Embassytown felt like his 'deepest' work, to date. Bas-lag has more politics and monsters, but Embassytown really struck my emotional/moral chord, and felt less like pretension and more like philosophy. I hope he writes many more of this caliber.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
This is the coolest loving thing ever, there is now a stage adaptation of The City & the City. It opens at the end of this month in Chicago. I would give anything to see it but I'm on the wrong continent :(

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Sorry for double posting. Anyway, I am reading Un Lun Dun for the second time at the moment. It's good (Miéville always is) but it may be down there with King Rat as one of the Miéville books I'm least enthusiastic about.

(the following I copy/pasted from my Goodreads review)

Un Lun Dun is an enjoyable book with some fun ideas and good characters, but where I think it fails is in its world-building. This is the second time I've read the book but I still can't imagine UnLondon as a cohesive place; rather, just a collection of wacky imagery that doesn't connect together into an actual setting. It may be the least effective world-building of any of Miéville's books.

Bas-Lag is of course the most rich and complete world he's created, but it's spread over three books of 600 or more pages each, after all. Even so, Embassytown, The City & the City, and Railsea are all shorter standalone books that still managed to contain a fully realised invented world. UnLondon is the only creation of Miéville's to date that doesn't feel like it could be a real place, just a literary repository for puns and silly things. Miéville may have intended it that way, but it just means I can't get into this book as easily as almost any of his others. And being lost in a rich, unique world is one of the reasons I read Miéville.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hedrigall posted:

Even so, Embassytown, The City & the City, and Railsea are all shorter standalone books that still managed to contain a fully realised invented world. UnLondon is the only creation of Miéville's to date that doesn't feel like it could be a real place, just a literary repository for puns and silly things. Miéville may have intended it that way, but it just means I can't get into this book as easily as almost any of his others. And being lost in a rich, unique world is one of the reasons I read Miéville.

I enjoyed all the Bas-Lag books, as well as Embassytown and The City & the City, but I just couldn't get into Railsea. I'm not sure what it is. Maybe that it just feels like "Moby Dick with steel rails."

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Ah that sucks, Railsea is amazing. My ranking for the books would probably go Bas-Lag trilogy > Embassytown > Railsea > the rest.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

This is the coolest loving thing ever, there is now a stage adaptation of The City & the City. It opens at the end of this month in Chicago. I would give anything to see it but I'm on the wrong continent :(

drat, I really want to see this too. I would love to see The City & The City realized visually somehow.

Pious Pete
Sep 8, 2006

Ladies like that, right?

Hedrigall posted:

Holy hell. I love everything about this. I work in new play development here in the states... I'll see if I can pull any strings and get a hold of a production script. If anything happens I'll make sure to let folks know.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I just want to see a video of a scene set in a heavily 'crossed' (can't remember the term used) part of the city.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Dial H has had 10 issues now — is anyone else following it? I'm loving it and really looking forward to each new issue. It's an absolute scream. Miéville's love of puns comes through with each new hero idea; and hilariously, the big baddies of the current arc are the Canadian government (who are secretly way more sinister and technologically-advanced than the US government).

I don't read many comics but I can kind of sense that this series is only very loosely adhering to DC Universe canon. So it's great as a standalone, makes fun of a lot of superhero tropes, and is well worth your $3-4.50 per month (or just grab April's trade paperback which collects the first 7 or so issues, afaik).

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 12, 2013

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Junkenstein posted:

I just want to see a video of a scene set in a heavily 'crossed' (can't remember the term used) part of the city.

The term you're looking for is Breach!

I live in Chicago and got a flyer for this a month or so ago in the mail and immediately went "Holy poo poo!" I'll see if I can get to it (should be able to since it runs a month & a half) and give you all a trip report.

Terraplane
Aug 16, 2007

And when I mash down on your little starter, then your spark plug will give me fire.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

The term you're looking for is Breach!

Crosshatched! :eng101: It's not Breach until somebody screws up.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Hedrigall posted:

Well, I'll be going to this!!

BigSkillet
Nov 27, 2003
I said teaberry, not sandalwood!

Hedrigall posted:

Dial H has had 10 issues now — is anyone else following it? I'm loving it and really looking forward to each new issue. It's an absolute scream. Miéville's love of puns comes through with each new hero idea; and hilariously, the big baddies of the current arc are the Canadian government (who are secretly way more sinister and technologically-advanced than the US government).

I don't read many comics but I can kind of sense that this series is only very loosely adhering to DC Universe canon. So it's great as a standalone, makes fun of a lot of superhero tropes, and is well worth your $3-4.50 per month (or just grab April's trade paperback which collects the first 7 or so issues, afaik).

It feels odd going in to the shop every month just to buy one comic, but Dial H has been great so far. China's really getting a knack for humor lately. Do you have any idea if it's doing well in sales numbers? My more comic-savvy friends say DC's editorial board is somewhat spastic at the moment, and I worry it'll get axed to make room for another Batman spinoff.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I really do love Dial H. The pacing is a bit weird over the first arc, but I love the disgruntled Canadian government and the dude with time powers who decides to name himself Centipede.

I'm seriously expecting them to start losing their minds, especially since Nelson is addicted to dialing but they don't have time to address it, while Roxie can't dial again without a mask. I expect right now Centipede is seeing what happens when a dial user completely loses control of their own mind? I'm not completely sure what his agenda towards the end of the most recent issue was -- one of the dangers of reading a comic once a month I suppose

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Terraplane posted:

Crosshatched! :eng101: It's not Breach until somebody screws up.

:doh: You are correct, sir. I would probably do well to re-read this book before I see the play, since it's been several years!

StoicRomance
Jan 3, 2013

For Valentine's day my girlfriend tracked this down in a small town in Florida for me. She knew Kraken was my favourite novel. It was pretty great.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Can you post the cover? Bet it looks cool.

Sargeant Biffalot
Nov 24, 2006

BigSkillet posted:

China's really getting a knack for humor lately.

More like he's getting over the painfully humourless trot style that marred his Bas-Lag books. The contrast between the magical strikes in PSS and Kraken is particularly noticeable, the former is ironically much more ridiculous and impossible to take seriously because of the po-faced delivery.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Sargeant Biffalot posted:

More like he's getting over the painfully humourless trot style that marred his Bas-Lag books. The contrast between the magical strikes in PSS and Kraken is particularly noticeable, the former is ironically much more ridiculous and impossible to take seriously because of the po-faced delivery.

I'd rather prefer his humorless self in PSS than to his attempt at merriment in Kraken.

BigSkillet
Nov 27, 2003
I said teaberry, not sandalwood!
I don't think Bas-Lag was particularly humorless, it just wasn't of the direct bust-a-gut variety. It was quite playful with the tropes and expectations of the fantasy genre, like using an archetypical badass action hero as a secondary character instead of a protagonist in The Scar, or hiring the D&D adventuring party towards the end of Perdido. The strike scene toys with you because of course the political faction sharing the author's views would come out on top, it's fantasy right? And then their leader just gets offed.

There's something inherently smirk-worthy about a fantasy universe where even with mantis-clawed assassins, iron golems, and the blessing of a stream-of-consciousness spider god on their side, the labor movement is still broken and ineffective.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

BigSkillet posted:

I don't think Bas-Lag was particularly humorless, it just wasn't of the direct bust-a-gut variety. It was quite playful with the tropes and expectations of the fantasy genre, like using an archetypical badass action hero as a secondary character instead of a protagonist in The Scar, or hiring the D&D adventuring party towards the end of Perdido. The strike scene toys with you because of course the political faction sharing the author's views would come out on top, it's fantasy right? And then their leader just gets offed.

There's something inherently smirk-worthy about a fantasy universe where even with mantis-clawed assassins, iron golems, and the blessing of a stream-of-consciousness spider god on their side, the labor movement is still broken and ineffective.

This, there is a ton of Clever Fun that makes me feel clever for getting it in Bas-Lag. I linked a bunch of stuff earlier in the thread. The Magus-Fin Macguffin, the Grand Easterly/Great Eastern and so on. Actually I could probably do with less, rather than more, isn't that clever I've been clever with my tropes stuff. I didn't care for Kraken, which tried to be more funner, though I'm nowhere near as in love with Magical London as the populace at large, I guess, which may not have helped.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Isn't New Crobuzon basically a magical London, though?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Isn't New Crobuzon basically a magical London, though?

I think New Corbuzon is more a magical Pittsburgh. More industrial, more provincial, more on the downward slope of a curve than a Magical London ever is. There is old money, there is regional influence, there is a university, but it isn't the center of a major empire, it isn't an eternal city. I think being run by and for the exclusive benefit of political machines, gangsters and oligarchs is also not very London-y. Further, I don't think China _likes_ NC, he does like London.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Feb 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Slo-Tek posted:

I think New Corbuzon is more a magical Pittsburgh. More industrial, more provincial, more on the downward slope of a curve than a Magical London ever is. There is old money, there is regional influence, there is a university, but it isn't the center of a major empire, it isn't an eternal city.

I always saw it more as a magical Baltimore, though for the same exact characteristics you listed.