Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Have there been any reviews of the Nexus 7 with HSPA+?

http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/google-nexus-7-32gb/4505-3126_7-35516550-2.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'm going to buy a Nexus 10, but i can't find the cover anywhere. Is it even available?

I think they pulled the cover that they gave reviewers because it was pretty lovely. It was a giant one of those Galaxy S III covers. That works good for a phone but for a tablet it needed to at least act like a stand.

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

vonManstein posted:

Whelp, broke down and bought it. It's pretty nifty, I'm going to play with it for a while, still don't know if it will replace apex.

Some home grown widgets have been created, I'm hoping more will come in the future.

Same here, it's pretty cool but I think I'd get more out of it if I had a 10 inch tablet instead of 7 inches.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

lamentable dustman posted:

I think they pulled the cover that they gave reviewers because it was pretty lovely. It was a giant one of those Galaxy S III covers. That works good for a phone but for a tablet it needed to at least act like a stand.

Argh. I really liked it. I want a screen cover that adds no thickness to the tablet. It seemed a decent enough idea.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
I got a Nexus 10 and spent a few days customizing it to my liking...setting up the different screens, shortcuts, widgets, apps, etc.

This morning a friend told me that he got me one as a gift (yes it is crazy and my friends don't normally give me things like this). I told him I bought myself one but he insisted I accept the gift. I plan to return the one I purchased. Is there a way to keep all the settings/setup/customization I've done and then just download them to the new tablet?

Demon Lord
Jun 8, 2003
ex nihil, ex omni, ad infinitum

that one guy posted:

I got a Nexus 10 and spent a few days customizing it to my liking...setting up the different screens, shortcuts, widgets, apps, etc.

This morning a friend told me that he got me one as a gift (yes it is crazy and my friends don't normally give me things like this). I told him I bought myself one but he insisted I accept the gift. I plan to return the one I purchased. Is there a way to keep all the settings/setup/customization I've done and then just download them to the new tablet?

Nandroid backup + restore on the other device?

Edit: Also, why don't you return the tablet he gave you? Different capacity?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

that one guy posted:

This morning a friend told me that he got me one as a gift (yes it is crazy and my friends don't normally give me things like this). I told him I bought myself one but he insisted I accept the gift. I plan to return the one I purchased.
Not an answer to your question but the N10 is sold out so you may be able to get more for it than you paid if you put it on eBay.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, Google will charge a restocking fee and they will check the serial number so you can't return the other one. You should tell your friends you returned yours and put theirs on eBay. But It Now for 50 over retail will cover your fees and trouble and it will sell in minutes probably.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

that one guy posted:

Sell the one they gave you on eBay and spend whatever profit you get over what you paid for the one you bought on a gift for that friend.

Slate Slabrock
Sep 12, 2009
Grimey Drawer

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

My Nexus 7 ran out of battery so I plugged it in. It won't turn on now, and when it does it starts up and than turns itself off. What the gently caress? I literally got this thing 3 days ago. Thanks Google/Asus!

E: I plugged it in and it just keeps power cycling.

E2: Oh yeah, this thing is hosed up. Now in addition to power cycling, the screen went all crazy CRT static on me. My girlfriend got this for me through Staples.com, so hopefully we can just go into a store and exchange it.

And people wonder why Android tablets have a bad name.

I had this problem today. I left it off and plugged in for a few hours, and then held the power button for 30 seconds (still plugged in). Seems fine now.

Cream
May 6, 2007
Fett-kart

loudog999 posted:

The worst thing about the new update is that Screen Filter doesn't work with it. I forgot how blindingly bright this thing is when trying to read in the dark. What are some good alternatives to use while they are working on an update to the app?

Night Mode works.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The lockscreen on my n7 has disappeared - I changed nothing & this morning the power button takes me straight to a home screen. I reset it to slide, no dice. Anyone else had this?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Ok, I've had with this thing and multi user support, hard locked when I tried turning on Bluetooth WTF. Wiping to factory unless someone convinces me CM10 is smooth, bug free and not lovely.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Cakefool posted:

The lockscreen on my n7 has disappeared - I changed nothing & this morning the power button takes me straight to a home screen. I reset it to slide, no dice. Anyone else had this?

You lucky bastard! If you figure out how this happened, be sure to let us know!

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

Does anyone like anything about 4.2? It sounds like a big bag of who gives a gently caress.

They couldn't be bothered to fix a specific bug in their email app, so I have no need to upgrade.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Polo-Rican posted:

You lucky bastard! If you figure out how this happened, be sure to let us know!

Well, you CAN straight up disable the lockscreen in the security settings.

illicitporpoises posted:

Does anyone like anything about 4.2? It sounds like a big bag of who gives a gently caress.

They couldn't be bothered to fix a specific bug in their email app, so I have no need to upgrade.

I'm just not sure they tested it on the N7 at all at this point. I've had two random reboots over the weekend and the thing seemingly can't stay on standby for longer than a day now even though it's not registering any awake time.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah, Google will charge a restocking fee and they will check the serial number so you can't return the other one. You should tell your friends you returned yours and put theirs on eBay. But It Now for 50 over retail will cover your fees and trouble and it will sell in minutes probably.

The Google store doesn't show them as out of stock. I put it up on eBay, hoping it will sell...but is it really out of stock even though Google's site says it isn't?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Who the hell knows anymore.

By the way, turns out T-Mobile is blocking the $30 Prepaid 5GB plan from working on the GSM Nexus 7 via IMEI. So that sucks.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

bull3964 posted:

Well, you CAN straight up disable the lockscreen in the security settings.

Setting up a pattern lock them using it & disabling it solved this.

I'm having no performance issues with 4.2 on N7 though.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wordpress.chislonchow.deviceadminkeyguard

Kills 4.2's extra lockscreen widgets (and retarded glowing rectangle). Enjoy.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

that one guy posted:

The Google store doesn't show them as out of stock. I put it up on eBay, hoping it will sell...but is it really out of stock even though Google's site says it isn't?

The 32GB model is out of stock. The 16 is still in stock.

Jul 20, 2006

illicitporpoises posted:

I'm finding navigation a bit smoother on 4.2 on the N7, and I'm really liking the settings drawer now that I've adjusted to it.

I'm also a fan of the new lock screen with widgets. Works very well with my pin lock screen - means I can swipe between now playing and the clock. And the new pin lock pad looks much sexier.

But all this comes with the caveat that I have been avoiding any of the multi-user features after reading about the issues people are having with them.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
Is anyone having their N7 searching for GPS what seems to be every 2-3 minutes? Everytime I open it up, it seems like its blinking up there.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Siroc posted:

Is anyone having their N7 searching for GPS what seems to be every 2-3 minutes? Everytime I open it up, it seems like its blinking up there.

You have an app polling the GPS antenna. Try to find it using something like Better Battery Stats. Probably a weather app.

Is your N7 stock?

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

You have an app polling the GPS antenna. Try to find it using something like Better Battery Stats. Probably a weather app.

Is your N7 stock?

I'll check BBS, though it just started happening with 4.2 (so frequently). Maybe an issue between the app and 4.2. Yeah, its stock.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Ok just making sure. I've seen that behavior on my phone before but tracked it back to the weather feature on CM10's lockscreen.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
I've been thinking about buying the Note 10.1 (I like the pen) but I haven't been able to find an answer to this question and I don't live anywhere where the tablet has been released.
Is it possible to use touch and the pen at the same time? Like hold your finger against the screen and then draw a line.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

illicitporpoises posted:

I like it (even the clock), but they screwed up the implementation, and should have given it a month more for testing.

Issues for me so far (Nexus 7):
- while smoother and faster than 4.1 in general (and 4.1 was already beating the crap out of my - admittedly aging - iPad 2 in this regard) it has some very weird lags and standstills for seconds randomly. Same for bringing up the keyboard in Apps. Most of the time it works great, sometimes I have to wait for seconds.
- the Lockscreen always needs a few seconds if the orientation has been changed until it accepts input
- today I suddenly couldn't install updates in Google Play any more. Second try crashed the system and it required a hard reset. Then it worked again without an issue.
- I had at least one random reboot while the N7 just lay there doing nothing
- Something turns on the screen from time to time when doing nothing. Sync? Lockscreen widget (I only have the clock)? Ghosts?
- The Settings shade needs lot of work. No GPS? Too many shortcuts instead of toggles. Should be somewhat configurable for the user.
- 10-15 seconds of lag and stutter when switching the user (which is excusable, even Windows and OS X had issues with that early on until hardware caught up)

So yeah, while I think 4.2 is generally a step in the right direction in some regards, it's not what I would call a Final Release.

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
It seems 4.2 was rushed out for the Nexus 4 / Nexus 10 launch. I think it's buggy, but not so much that I'm going to roll back.

-Although it's basically just Swype, I like the new keyboard... because Swype isn't free and this is.
-I also like the dual notification shade and also the way that it's divided into right/left. I haven't pulled the wrong one down by mistake yet. At first it was weird, but you get used to it quickly.
-What I don't like is the shades' behavior; they should just not allow you to pull it out any farther than the lowest possible notification, and take out the bouncing behavior. I find myself frequently losing the shade and having to try one or two more times to do it right.
-I also agree that the settings notification shade is half-assed.
-Lock screen widgets are a good idea, but the default ones--Gmail and Calendar--are useless to me. I don't want my personal information on my lockscreen, and I don't really use calendar. A weather widget seems like a no-brainer. Maybe an RSS feed watcher.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
Hey guys, I like the new clock app.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

IT Guy posted:

Hey guys, I like the new clock app.

The stopwatch is neat with the lap counter. Its kinda ugly, but the previous one wasn't a looker, so its still a net gain.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I resolved my ongoing Tree Gloo problem last night

me posted:

Hey there, I'm glad you guys have such a demand, but I'll just go ahead and take the refund. I've heard that you send some people a tracking number without shipping the product in order to get them to wait longer or refuse a refund. I'm not terribly interested in that. Once again, order #*******, you can go ahead and refund.

Thanks!

Jen from Tree Gloo posted:

At your request, your order has been cancelled and a full refund has been issued. This will reflect in your bank statement in a few days:

Regarding the tracking and shipping information, this would not be the case. We ship several hundred packages out daily, and unfortunately, a few may get lost in the shuffle between our facility and being properly scanned in.

Portenzo it is, I guess.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

The Gay Bean posted:

It seems 4.2 was rushed out for the Nexus 4 / Nexus 10 launch. I think it's buggy, but not so much that I'm going to roll back.

-Although it's basically just Swype, I like the new keyboard... because Swype isn't free and this is.

Swype charges now? Really?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

RZA Encryption posted:

I resolved my ongoing Tree Gloo problem last night

Portenzo it is, I guess.

I just ordered from Portenzo last week. Here's to hoping I have a case by Christmas.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

BoyBlunder posted:

Swype charges now? Really?

They charge OEMs, who are the only ones with access to the "full" product. You can join the beta program at any time and get a more updated version for free.

Jul 20, 2006

The Gay Bean posted:

-I also like the dual notification shade and also the way that it's divided into right/left. I haven't pulled the wrong one down by mistake yet. At first it was weird, but you get used to it quickly.
-What I don't like is the shades' behavior; they should just not allow you to pull it out any farther than the lowest possible notification, and take out the bouncing behavior. I find myself frequently losing the shade and having to try one or two more times to do it right.
-I also agree that the settings notification shade is half-assed.
-Lock screen widgets are a good idea, but the default ones--Gmail and Calendar--are useless to me. I don't want my personal information on my lockscreen, and I don't really use calendar. A weather widget seems like a no-brainer. Maybe an RSS feed watcher.

On the subject of the bouncing notification shades being unintuitive, I found it clicked for me when I switched to 'flicking' the shades down rather than dragging them all the way.

Much quicker and much less prone to cock ups.

Made the variable length and bouncing a non-issue for me anyway.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7jemPb4QQc

Hell froze Skype just announced a tablet optimized layout for Android.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Vagrancy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7jemPb4QQc

Hell froze Skype just announced a tablet optimized layout for Android.

Well holy poo poo.

This is probably going to be the most surprising thing I read all day.

e: The video's been made private. Anyone have a mirror?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
We can still mock the official Twitter app on tablets, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Anyone else notice after upgrading to 4.2 that their tablet takes longer to respond to smartcase closing?