Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Where are the results?

Caio, Kron, and Lovato won by sub, the other three matches were draws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Where are the results?

Here's a run down with some GIFs of the action.

(Beaten with info by FD, but not with moving pictures, and isn't that much more important? Nope :( )

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Mardragon posted:

. Xande also wanted no part of doing anything but stalling on the feet

Xande's never shy about doing this kind of stuff if he thinks the other guy might be troublesome on the mat, as far as I've seen

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
I cannot stop watching this poo poo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wgxqo48NXM

Super Joe
Jun 22, 2012

I'm sorry for all the trouble I've caused.

Oh my god, this is amazing!

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Complete with endorsement by the man himself.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Can't wait for the Rener Gracie squat and push tutorial

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Not a good impersonation because he didn't remind us his grandfather created the UFC.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
I've said this before, but Rener Gracie understands that the real Gracie legacy is self-promotion. If Rorion hadn't dedicated himself body and soul to becoming the PT Barnum of BJJ, the whole family would be working at Gracie Brothers Honda right now.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Here is a thing

It starts at around 4:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1GgMPl7F_4

Inertiatic
Apr 9, 2004

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Here is a thing

It starts at around 4:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1GgMPl7F_4

What was that?

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
I can't tell if he tapped from the split or the Omoplata.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Looks like it's the split, but that's one hell of a position to be stuck in!

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
What's a good escape/guard recovery from halfguard? I'm currently mostly doing the thing where I get underhooks and then catch their other leg, bridge, hip escape under them and then either escape to their back or both hands under their legs, grab their belt and make them fall on their back and then regular "2 arms under" stack pass. I'd like something else to work on. Also, do all half-guard escapes start with you getting underhook? Because obviously that can be hard if the guy gets their first and push his shoulder in your throat.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

KingColliwog posted:

What's a good escape/guard recovery from halfguard? I'm currently mostly doing the thing where I get underhooks and then catch their other leg, bridge, hip escape under them and then either escape to their back or both hands under their legs, grab their belt and make them fall on their back and then regular "2 arms under" stack pass. I'd like something else to work on. Also, do all half-guard escapes start with you getting underhook? Because obviously that can be hard if the guy gets their first and push his shoulder in your throat.

I'll mostly leave this to better grapplers but a couple things:

Letting him get that near side underhook is bad news. Lots of techniques don't require YOU to get the underhook; in fact there are whole positions like Z-guard and deep half and so forth. But not a lot of them will work once HE has one. Likewise your other hand needs to be preventing that crossface. (A far side underhook isn't going to help you with that by any means; I'm a little worried if double underhooks are like the core of your gameplan here.) If these are commonly happening you probably need to work on them before worrying about new techniques.

You should know how to roll him to the near side if he pressures into you when you try to take the back. (Especially if he overhooks your arm, then you can lock that hand in to stop him from posting.) There's not too much involved, trap his leg with your inside foot and bridge and roll. But you need good timing of course.

Also just know a basic full guard recovery, shrimping the inside leg out to a butterfly hook and then back to closed guard with proper hip movement. Any time your sweep attempts force him to widen his base and you can slip your leg out, that's an option.

Beyond that, there's a ton. Learning the foot grab sweep helped me a lot personally, but might overlap somewhat with that second technique of yours (which I hadn't heard of).

McNerd fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 22, 2012

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

McNerd posted:

I'll mostly leave this to better grapplers but a couple things:

Letting him get that near side underhook is bad news. Lots of techniques don't require YOU to get the underhook; in fact there are whole positions like Z-guard and deep half and so forth. But not a lot of them will work once HE has one. Likewise your other hand needs to be preventing that crossface. (A far side underhook isn't going to help you with that by any means; I'm a little worried if double underhooks are like the core of your gameplan here.) If these are commonly happening you probably need to work on them before worrying about new techniques.

You should know how to roll him to the near side if he pressures into you when you try to take the back. (Especially if he overhooks your arm, then you can lock that hand in to stop him from posting.) There's not too much involved, trap his leg with your inside foot and bridge and roll. But you need good timing of course.

Also just know a basic full guard recovery, shrimping the inside leg out to a butterfly hook and then back to closed guard with proper hip movement. Any time your sweep attempts force him to widen his base and you can slip your leg out, that's an option.

Beyond that, there's a ton. Learning the foot grab sweep helped me a lot personally, but might overlap somewhat with that second technique of yours (which I hadn't heard of).

Just to make sure we understood each other, I basically try to get at least one (if possible 2) underhook and then go do a super deep halfguard where I put my hips under his and hug his leg.

But yeah, getting the underhook can be hard at times, which made me wonder if there's anything you can do when he gets the underhook first. Usually if the guy in my half-guard gets the underhook he'll then crossface me and flatten me and get the pass. Halfguard is one of those position I don't really feel confortable in and usually get there when I screwed up so I don't know much about what to do with it.

So basically the first thing to do is to not let the other guy get a underhook in right? Also, if I get this right, you're saying I should try to get a underhook on the same side I got the guy in my half guard? I usually try to fight for the other side first so that might be one of my first mistakes.

If I get you right, you first try to get the same-side underhook and use your other hand to prevent him from crossfacing you?

I mainly do judo so until very recently my only gameplan from half guard was : stall the match until a mate is called. So mostly hugging the guy (over-under if possible) and doing something like the lockdown with my legs or occasionally just get back to guard if the other guy screws up. I'm trying to get out of that so I probably need to work on the basics. Any good video on the basic half-guard stuff? I currently am in love with the deep half guard so basic stuff on how to get it would be good I guess?

Basically I try to get in a position similar to this :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJqMqsHvw34 at 2:12

ok just found this, looks great to me : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS3aEg7UPKw
I guess I was basically fighting for the wrong underhook :downs:

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 22, 2012

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Getting double unders is very difficult, if you don't have a plan B for when you just have one then you're going to have a hard time getting things moving.

I think double under from bottom half in gi is a little iffy too because they can attack the neck in a few different ways. No gi that's not a concern.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
Deep half is really great for getting under people but you need to transition or sweep quick cause it's hard to protect yourself from weird chokes down there (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuxAfBzR7tQ).

Whenever I have room I just go right for the guillotine (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY07__8gYYY) to get my base and lock up a kimura grip on the close arm- it's like money in the bank. If they're just trying to flatten you out and smash you the sweep>knee kick ude gatame>full guard progression is really reliable.

CivilDisobedience fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 22, 2012

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
Yeah you definitely want to prioritize near side underhook. You shouldn't ever have to worry about them getting a far side underhook, if you're on your side with your elbow in; there's just nowhere for their arm to go. If you flare your elbow out you can be exposed for armlocks, so be careful about that.

By going for that far side underhook you have to be careful because you're basically giving him the crossface. If you have the double underhooks, or your head is otherwise deep enough that his arm effectively can't reach it (such as deep half) then you're pretty much safe, but otherwise this can be major trouble. I don't want to read too much into your post but it sounds like maybe this is why you feel most comfortable with these positions: because you're not appropriately defending the crossface so you're screwed otherwise?

Personally I never go for that underhook; I want to block his bicep with my forearm, with my hand in a "hook" posture. As you saw in that Ryan Hall video (nice video by the way, thanks!) there's a lot you can do by posturing up on that elbow or hand, especially if you get the near side underhook. In addition to the back take and other stuff he shows, you can just use the elbow to help you shrimp backwards and regain guard or possibly (I think?) stand up. So you have a lot to work with if you don't get a far side underhook.

Edit: Googling around I found this video which seems highly recommended by some well known online sources (Slideyfoot, Aesopian), if you're interested.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 22, 2012

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

Inertiatic posted:

What was that?

Omoplata stump puller

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
yay, competition trip report now with videos!

First the victory I'm loving proud of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu4qwuxOR2M

I'm the guy with the pony tail and the blue sesh over my belt.

I could have had him on the ground I think but I was scared to get caught in an unlucky pin so I didn't dare sweep him. I like my 1:58 technique because it looks cool, but I'm mainly happy with my 2:50 right side grip, left side ippon. I've been drilling that thing the past few weeks and that was my exact game plan for the comp. I was gassed so I hosed up (didn't step in and let go of him before the end) but still happy with my timing (being an rear end in a top hat with his right sleeve, when he breaks my grip attack with the ippon seoi as soon as he tries to grip back).

Me getting destroyed by a beautiful Uchi Mata. This guy was way better and way stronger than me so I'm not too sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTFBxxlqdNc

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Well, I competed at NAGA today at the Northeast Whatever in New Jersey. It was a pretty horrible experience!

My first opponent jumped guard on me 30 seconds into the match after I got double underhooks standing up. So I go down into his guard and start working to pass when the ref grabs my shoulder and tells me to stop because I've been DQ'd. I'm bewildered, my opponent doesn't know what the gently caress and we both just stare dumbly at the ref. He goes "you're DQ'd, you slammed him". My opponent shrugs at me and I just kind of wander off the mat in a daze. A bunch of people on the side stop me to tell me that the call was hosed up and bullshit. Apparently I was, I dunno, supposed to walk him over to the scorer's table when he jumped guard and gently sit him down there, because going to my knees when someone jumps guard is a "slam".

So yeah, pretty great day :toot:

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Nov 18, 2012

Rids!
Aug 20, 2006

picture this if you will...

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Well, I competed at NAGA today at the Northeast Whatever in New Jersey. It was a pretty horrible experience!

My first opponent jumped guard on me 30 seconds into the match after I got double underhooks standing up. So I go down into his guard and start working to pass when the ref grabs my shoulder and tells me to stop because I've been DQ'd. I'm bewildered, my opponent doesn't know what the gently caress and we both just stare dumbly at the ref. He goes "you're DQ'd, you slammed him". My opponent shrugs at me and I just kind of wander off the mat in a daze. A bunch of people on the side stop me to tell me that the call was hosed up and bullshit. Apparently I was, I dunno, supposed to walk him over to the scorer's table when he jumped guard and gently sit him down there, because going to my knees when someone jumps guard is a "slam".

So yeah, pretty great day :toot:

People who jump guard deserve to be slammed. There, I said it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Rids! posted:

People who jump guard deserve to be slammed. There, I said it.

No disagreement here. Given how things worked out I wish I actually had slammed the guy, at least I would have had the satisfaction.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
reffing at those things is so universally terrible its like they're trying to gently caress up.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Xguard86 posted:

reffing at those things is so universally terrible its like they're trying to gently caress up.

Is that ever going to improve?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Is that ever going to improve?

For there to be better refs, there either need to be more competent people willing to spend 12-16 hours on a Saturday doing a boring and largely thankless job for very little money, or the organizations need to pay them better so there are more competent people willing to spend 12-16 hours on a Saturday doing a boring and largely thankless job for slightly more money.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Alternate answer:

Nope.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I've been a ref based on these qualifications:
Knowing the people who hosted the competition

So,

fatherdog posted:

Alternate answer:

Nope.

Yeah

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

its not all the ref's fault either. The rules are not clearly outlined in a lot of cases. For example in the case of that slam I don't think "slamming" is ever clearly defined in the rulebook. All I could find is this:

quote:

No slamming is allowed in Takedowns. In determining whether or not a Takedown was a slam, Referees will consider whether the intention was to hurt the opponent.

Which is pretty drat vague. CHeck out this rule for horsecollar tackles in the NFL:

quote:

Section 12, Section 2 Personal Fouls,

Article 1:

All players are prohibited from:

(d) grabbing the inside collar of the back of the shoulder pads or jersey, or the inside collar of the side of the shoulder pads or jersey, and immediately pulling down the runner. This does not apply to a runner who is in the tackle box or to a quarterback who is in the pocket.

Penalty: Loss of 15 yards. If any of the above acts is judged by the official(s) to be flagrant, the offender may be disqualified as long as the entire action is observed by the official(s).

It doesn't just say "no horse collaring" but gives the detailed description of what that actually is and the scenario where it applies/does not apply.

Rules are hard to make and even harder to enforce correctly. I don't think local grappling tournaments should be held to the same standards as a prosport but it could be a lot better.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 19, 2012

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

fatherdog posted:

For there to be better refs, there either need to be more competent people willing to spend 12-16 hours on a Saturday doing a boring and largely thankless job for very little money, or the organizations need to pay them better so there are more competent people willing to spend 12-16 hours on a Saturday doing a boring and largely thankless job for slightly more money.

On this note, thank your ref after each match if you're not already doing it.

They seem to get a lot of negative feedback (deserved or not) and not enough positive.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Any competition where you arent allowed to slam your opponent or try to hurt him with a throw is bullshit and for babies

Rids!
Aug 20, 2006

picture this if you will...
Judo may be getting ruined by all its anti-wrestling rules, but at least they understand the importance of just slamming the poo poo out of your opponent.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Sports that are cool and let you slam people: Wrestling, judo, MMA, pro wrestling (?)

Sports where you are encouraged to fall over and scoot around on your rear end, and act like a stupid baby: BJJ

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

manyak posted:

Sports that are cool and let you slam people: Wrestling

Nope. Well I guess Nope in folkstyle. I think you can do it in Greco

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

manyak posted:

Sports that are cool and let you slam people: Wrestling, judo, MMA, pro wrestling (?)

Sports where you are encouraged to fall over and scoot around on your rear end, and act like a stupid baby: BJJ

this is very offensive and close-minded, here's a rebuttal from my facebook feed..oss!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
All these years, and that has never occured to me

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!

Xguard86 posted:

Nope. Well I guess Nope in folkstyle. I think you can do it in Greco

Freestyle! Where the bigger your slam (amplitude) the more points you get but you can't spike.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Nifft posted:

Freestyle! Where the bigger your slam (amplitude) the more points you get but you can't spike.

I forgot that was a thing. OK so 2/3rds of wrestling can slam.

Paul Pot posted:

this is very offensive and close-minded, here's a rebuttal from my facebook feed..oss!

I imagine the next frame as a guy shoved against the cage desperately throwing up submissions while taking thousands of elbows and punches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
As opposed to the guy shoved against the cage desperately trying to sweep while taking thousands of elbows and punches? Not saying I agree with Generic Gracie #5273 but I'm not sure what you're arguing