Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Taken while still on the plane after landing at DFW. If this is what I can expect I might return to Sprint once they get their poo poo together in Omaha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Duckman2008 posted:

I MUST be a sprint iPhone, it can't be reported lost or stolen and it can't be active on an account. I highly recommend meeting someone in store if you buy used.

Oh well found my phone so the point is moot, but that's good to know.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

The Entire Universe posted:

Taken while still on the plane after landing at DFW. If this is what I can expect I might return to Sprint once they get their poo poo together in Omaha.

This is the best I've seen in this area:

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Can we no longer sign up for the employee referral plans? Chappy's email isn't working for me.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Brightman posted:

This is the best I've seen in this area:

Sheee-it.

E: Your airport's still a clusterfuck. :colbert:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Okay, so if I turn LTE on, will I see a "4G" instead of a 3G? Because with my iphone I haven't actually seen it in nyc yet.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
I'm sorry if I missed this in the thread previously, but I didn't remember an answer. The $50 black friday deal with the upgrade and contract renewal for the S3, is that only online or can I go in-store (retail, or best buy) to pick it up?

Someone posted earlier about pre-black firday sales too, whats that all about?

e:sp.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Just noticed on Amazon that they're doing the S3 for $99 with a 2 year contract renewal and $49 with a new contract. Easy sale:

http://wireless.amazon.com/Samsung-...d=1353434232129

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

MindlessHavok posted:

Just noticed on Amazon that they're doing the S3 for $99 with a 2 year contract renewal and $49 with a new contract. Easy sale:

http://wireless.amazon.com/Samsung-...d=1353434232129

Interesting, I thought the deal was opposite of this, regular price for a new line and 50 for the renewal?

I might need to wait then if its not $50.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Aaaaand I just landed in Tampa, gently caress doing a speed test, gently caress this dialup poo poo, gently caress you sprint.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Interesting, I thought the deal was opposite of this, regular price for a new line and 50 for the renewal?

I might need to wait then if its not $50.

$40 now for new, $100 for renewal. Third-party sellers often have lower prices for new customers like that, because they get a larger carrier kickback than they do for re-ups.

RodShaft posted:

Can we no longer sign up for the employee referral plans? Chappy's email isn't working for me.
So use McGuire's (right sidebar)

WoG fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 20, 2012

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Thanks everyone for the quick info and response!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

WoG posted:

$40 now for new, $100 for renewal. Third-party sellers often have lower prices for new customers like that, because they get a larger carrier kickback than they do for re-ups.
So use McGuire's (right sidebar)

Still cheaper to re-up through them than it is from sprint, even with the buyback program ($30 for my Evo 4g).

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

MindlessHavok posted:

Still cheaper to re-up through them than it is from sprint, even with the buyback program ($30 for my Evo 4g).

I was hoping to go through best buy since they have a pretty decent protection plan.

I didn't want to bother the buyback with my 4G, figured I could keep it as a cheap and disposable wifi device when I go to europe this christmas anyways, or just as a backup.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My mom is on my family plan right now but I'll probably be ditching Sprint soon. Her boyfriend has Sprint. What can we do to get her line on his contract rather than mine?

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

Is there any way to use a Sprint iPhone 4S on any prepaid carrier?

Also, does Sprint still make you sign a contract to set up a new line even if you're bringing your own device?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

pragan4 posted:

Also, does Sprint still make you sign a contract to set up a new line even if you're bringing your own device?

I'm dumb, so this might be wrong, but I believe Cricket can flash stuff to Sprint phones so they work there. And you have to sign a contract but you don't use your upgrade.

beamrider
Sep 22, 2000
Posting "This needs much more love" IS BANNABLE
Ok, here's the situation:

Everything 1500 plan, I have an upgrade available. The wife's phone isn't up for upgrade for about another ~40 days. Can I get the S3 from BB/Sprint on Friday, and activate it on her line, or since I have the upgrade, activate it on my line, and then switch her line to it, and my line back to my original phone? Does that make sense?

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

beamrider posted:

Ok, here's the situation:

Everything 1500 plan, I have an upgrade available. The wife's phone isn't up for upgrade for about another ~40 days. Can I get the S3 from BB/Sprint on Friday, and activate it on her line, or since I have the upgrade, activate it on my line, and then switch her line to it, and my line back to my original phone? Does that make sense?

Yes, this only gets messy when there is a mail in rebate. If wherever you buy it wont do it for you just buy the phone on your line, leave, call customer service when you get home and have them do it.

beamrider
Sep 22, 2000
Still trying to figure out why her upgrade is Jan 1, I know that's not when I activated that drat line.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

FISHMANPET posted:

My mom is on my family plan right now but I'll probably be ditching Sprint soon. Her boyfriend has Sprint. What can we do to get her line on his contract rather than mine?
Just call up Sprint and have them transfer the line over. Easy. They just need to call her boyfriend to confirm it.

beamrider posted:

Still trying to figure out why her upgrade is Jan 1, I know that's not when I activated that drat line.
It's a 22-month or 20-month upgrade cycle nowadays. Not exactly two years.

beamrider
Sep 22, 2000
Ah, I see, that explains it. Well, hopefully all goes well and I can get her this drat phone on my upgrade, and then later get myself another phone on her upgrade, our evo4gs are both getting a bit long in the tooth at this point.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Speaking of upgrades, I take it I can't buy out my contract online, I need to do it over the phone?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

pragan4 posted:

If you unlock the SIM you can throw it in Straight Talk. Pretty sure it has the right 3G band. Tmobile is 2G only for sure. Cricket and metro require flashing and quite frankly I would never recommend either.

And yes, no matter what when you first sign up with sprint, it's a two year contract.

EPRP is probably still available, just FYI to everyone I would assume chappy for a job elsewhere, so you would need to simply dig up another corp employees email. Anyone willing to throw their email out there let me know.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Duckman2008 posted:

If you unlock the SIM you can throw it in Straight Talk. Pretty sure it has the right 3G band. Tmobile is 2G only for sure.
Is the radio not locked specifically to exclude domestic GSM carriers?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Have any of you goons in the Wash DC metro area experienced weird service interruptions? Maybe 30% of my incoming phone calls dont get to my phone and 30% outgoing are met with a "busy signal tone."

I am trying to determine whether it is a problem with my old rear end EVO4G (running CM7.1) or a network issue.

I'm not from that area, but I had the same exact problem with my Galaxy S3. Turning off Google Voice integration seems to have fixed it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

td4guy posted:

Is the radio not locked specifically to exclude domestic GSM carriers?

It is, which is why you get an unlock code from eBay or wherever you get it from now a days.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I'm helping my sister set up 5 eprp lines for her, her husband, and her 3 children.

Since 3 phones will be for children who like games but cannot be trusted.
A few questions.

Is there a way to make it where phones cannot buy premium apps, or buy add-ons for freemium apps?

Do all android phones have the $10 premium data charge?

Is the LG Viper LTE the best Free phone at the moment.

Is there a decent deal on getting internet to a laptop, or is rooting the only way to not pay an arm and a leg?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

RodShaft posted:

Is there a decent deal on getting internet to a laptop, or is rooting the only way to not pay an arm and a leg?

As far as I remember, you can use PDANet for free and without rooting to tether with a USB cable. No free/unrooted wireless tethering that I know of, though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I was told that my plan would be changing to SERO after my next billing cycle when they audited the old employee plan I was on. My bill was due yesterday, but it still shows me on the old plan and when I click "order new phone" it says "an order is already in progress".

Anybody have any idea how long it should take for the plan changeover to kick in? I'm hoping to grab a new phone tomorrow or Friday...

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

RodShaft posted:

Is there a way to make it where phones cannot buy premium apps, or buy add-ons for freemium apps?

The Google Play Store app allows you to set parental controls and/or require a PIN before purchasing anything.

RodShaft posted:

Do all android phones have the $10 premium data charge?

I believe so, yes.

RodShaft posted:

Pretty sure you'll have to root.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Medullah posted:

I was told that my plan would be changing to SERO after my next billing cycle when they audited the old employee plan I was on. My bill was due yesterday, but it still shows me on the old plan and when I click "order new phone" it says "an order is already in progress".

Anybody have any idea how long it should take for the plan changeover to kick in? I'm hoping to grab a new phone tomorrow or Friday...

Perhaps you should call them and see if they can help you out instead of waiting and hoping it works out in time.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Perhaps you should call them and see if they can help you out instead of waiting and hoping it works out in time.

Yeah, that's the next step, just figured I'd ask since I can't call til later tonight. :)

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Can you switch to employee referral prices if you already have an account with an employee discount? I'm looking at replacing my Evo shift with an SIII Black Friday and just discovered this thread. I don't pay much thanks to the discount, but I've since left my last employer and I read that they're asking for verification of employee discounts now.

EDIT: The OP answered a few of my questions.

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 21, 2012

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Thought I'd provide an update for those of you looking to get out of your Sprint contract ETF-free.

I have a 4 line retail (not EPRP) family plan. I installed the Verizon 00001.prl (forces 3G roaming on Verizon towers, for those who don't know) three months ago on my brother's Android phone, and none of the other lines. He used ~12gb roaming in September and ~8gb in October. I received a letter from the Roaming Compliance or Excessive Roaming department, I forget, just after my bill date at the beginning of November. They were going to cancel just the affected line in the beginning of December, but will allow me to port the other three lines ETF-free anytime within 30 days of the cancellation date for the offending line.

The agent indicated they paid ~$580 in roaming charges to Verizon, and it wasn't worth keeping my business.

EDIT: Does anyone want to trade an AT&T iPhone for each of my (2) Sprint iPhone 4 phones. One white, one black.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 21, 2012

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

goku chewbacca posted:

Thought I'd provide an update for those of you looking to get out of your Sprint contract ETF-free.

I have a 4 line retail (not EPRP) family plan. I installed the Verizon 00001.prl (forces 3G roaming on Verizon towers, for those who don't know) three months ago on my brother's Android phone, and none of the other lines. He used ~12gb roaming in September and ~8gb in October. I received a letter from the Roaming Compliance or Excessive Roaming department, I forget, just after my bill date at the beginning of November. They were going to cancel just the affected line in the beginning of December, but will allow me to port the other three lines ETF-free anytime within 30 days of the cancellation date for the offending line.

The agent indicated they paid ~$580 in roaming charges to Verizon, and it wasn't worth keeping my business.

EDIT: Does anyone want to trade an AT&T iPhone for each of my (2) Sprint iPhone 4 phones. One white, one black.

I need to do this. How do I get the Verizon PRL on to my wife's phone?

Cock Democracy
Jan 1, 2003

Now that is the finest piece of chilean sea bass I have ever smelled

tijag posted:

I use the Roam Control app but I don't leave it on roam constantly because I'm not a masochist. It's always good to have an escape plan though.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Cock Democracy posted:

I use the Roam Control app but I don't leave it on roam constantly because I'm not a masochist. It's always good to have an escape plan though.

i'll have to figure out how to root the Evo 4G LTE then. It feels like a nightmare on XDA. I'm spoiled by the easy root of the Samsung and Nexus devices I've owned.

Perhaps you guys can make it more clear.

I think I need to:
1) get S-OFF
2) unlock bootloader
3) gain root

Those are three separate things, and I would be trying to do all of them, correct?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

tijag posted:

i'll have to figure out how to root the Evo 4G LTE then. It feels like a nightmare on XDA. I'm spoiled by the easy root of the Samsung and Nexus devices I've owned.

Perhaps you guys can make it more clear.

I think I need to:
1) get S-OFF
2) unlock bootloader
3) gain root

Those are three separate things, and I would be trying to do all of them, correct?

You don't need to root. Just don't use roam control. Google how to change prl on your phone. Someone should have made a tutorial, but if not, the tutorial for the Evo 3D will probably work too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

tijag posted:

If I remember correctly, you don't need root or an aftermarket ROM to change the PRL, but you also don't want to use the Roam Control app. Roam Control will force roaming, but only on 1x 2G on Verizon. The PRL will force 3G roaming. Stream Netflix and Hulu to run up the data roaming.

I'll find the directions when I get home and update the thread. I have it bookmarked. In the mean time, find out what your MSL# is. You'll need it when you use CDMA Workshop to load the PRL file.