Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
By "local admin" do you mean root? Logging into X? Pretty sure Ubuntu disallows that one.

Please check /var/log/syslog (I think it's syslog on Ubuntu). It's entirely possible that some NetworkManager stupidity is happening when you log in. Do you lose AD on an SSH login or console login? If no, then it's a good indicator of NetworkManager problems.

Depending on how strict your AD setup is, you have the following problems, really:

AD looks up stuff like users over LDAP+KRB5. If your reverse DNS name doesn't match the computer object in AD, it can't issue a ticket, and you can't talk to AD. Likewise-open has some utility (with "dns" in the name, I don't recall the name of the command) to update AD's DNS records to what your computer is now. Again, if NetworkManager is causing problems.

You may also want to see if you can configure NetworkManager to cache credentials longer. Samba/winbind can do this, and I assume Likewise can (VAS certainly can), but I'm unsure.

Try the following once you log in:

id YOURDOMAIN\\your.username (this should eventually fail, but after how long?)
Once it fails
kinit your.username
If you're having Kerberos problems, kinit will spit it out. If that doesn't work, come back, and I'll dig into the Likewise docs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

eXXon posted:

Ugh, I spent the last 10 minutes figuring out what the hell was wrong with sshd and it was a permissions issue as usual. I have my home directory linked to a mounted fakeraid and somehow the permissions changed between dropping a disk/resyncing/rebooting or something. But the ssh client just silently fails and the only indication that loose home directory permissions are the reason why are in the sshd log, which you can't read unless you're root. I suppose the client shouldn't inform users that someone's home directory has lax permissions but surely there's some middle ground between that and failing silently.

Did you try to use 'ssh -v' to connect? That tells you a lot more info from the client side. You can use -vv and -vvv to get even more info.

10 minutes isn't that bad though to figure something out.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
-v -vv and -vvv are generally worthless when it comes to permissions issues like this. Go chmod ~/.ssh so key-based logins don't work anymore. No amount of verbosity will ever tell you why the key failed the exchange.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

evol262 posted:

By "local admin" do you mean root? Logging into X? Pretty sure Ubuntu disallows that one.

Please check /var/log/syslog (I think it's syslog on Ubuntu). It's entirely possible that some NetworkManager stupidity is happening when you log in. Do you lose AD on an SSH login or console login? If no, then it's a good indicator of NetworkManager problems.

Depending on how strict your AD setup is, you have the following problems, really:

AD looks up stuff like users over LDAP+KRB5. If your reverse DNS name doesn't match the computer object in AD, it can't issue a ticket, and you can't talk to AD. Likewise-open has some utility (with "dns" in the name, I don't recall the name of the command) to update AD's DNS records to what your computer is now. Again, if NetworkManager is causing problems.

You may also want to see if you can configure NetworkManager to cache credentials longer. Samba/winbind can do this, and I assume Likewise can (VAS certainly can), but I'm unsure.

Try the following once you log in:

id YOURDOMAIN\\your.username (this should eventually fail, but after how long?)
Once it fails
kinit your.username
If you're having Kerberos problems, kinit will spit it out. If that doesn't work, come back, and I'll dig into the Likewise docs.

Ok, syslog had a couple errors that look like they are causing the issue:

code:
0x7f2ebdffb700:ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s failed with error code -2

and later

<error> [1353349870.451592] [nm-dns-dnsmasq.c:390] update(): dnsmasq not available on the bus, can't update servers.
Nov 19 13:31:10 agcwebmaster NetworkManager[929]: <error> [1353349870.451604] [nm-dns-dnsmasq.c:392] update(): dnsmasq owner not found on bus: Could not get owner of name 'org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.dnsmasq': no such name
Nov 19 13:31:10 agcwebmaster NetworkManager[929]: <warn> DNS: plugin dnsmasq update failed
If I remember correctly, I had some dnsmasq configurations to make when setting up likewise, so it's probably that?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
NetworkManager to the rescue :negative:

Go uncomment "dns=dnsmasq" in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf". AD uses DNS to find servers (nslookup your.domain to return a list). DNSmasq is killing AD. It's probably NM+AppArmor problems, but it's easily fixed.

You probably didn't have to touch dnsmasq to set up Likewise. I never did.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Is there any way that I can put a tv tuner in a linux box and then stream it over the network to windows clients? Also change channels?

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

evol262 posted:

NetworkManager to the rescue :negative:

Go uncomment "dns=dnsmasq" in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf". AD uses DNS to find servers (nslookup your.domain to return a list). DNSmasq is killing AD. It's probably NM+AppArmor problems, but it's easily fixed.

You probably didn't have to touch dnsmasq to set up Likewise. I never did.

Newp, its already uncommented..

rugbert fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 20, 2012

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

revmoo posted:

Is there any way that I can put a tv tuner in a linux box and then stream it over the network to windows clients? Also change channels?

You might be better off with a purpose designed device like the HDHomeRun. It's a little box with a coax in for an antenna or cable and Ethernet out to stream and control.

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 20, 2012

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

rugbert posted:

Newp, its already commented out..

And yet it's trying to call it. Explicitly.

<error> [1353349870.451592] [nm-dns-dnsmasq.c:390] update(): dnsmasq not available on the bus, can't update servers.
Nov 19 13:31:10 agcwebmaster NetworkManager[929]: <error> [1353349870.451604] [nm-dns-dnsmasq.c:392] update(): dnsmasq owner not found on bus: Could not get owner of name 'org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.dnsmasq': no such name
Nov 19 13:31:10 agcwebmaster NetworkManager[929]: <warn> DNS: plugin dnsmasq update failed

Is dnsmasq running? If so, as what user?

Can you post /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf?

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

evol262 posted:

And yet it's trying to call it. Explicitly.

Is dnsmasq running? If so, as what user?

Can you post /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf?

looks like there are two instances dnsmasq running by root

code:
[main]
plugins=ifupdown,keyfile
dns=dnsmasq

no-auto-default=90:B1:1C:6C:0E:B1,

[ifupdown]
managed=false

Ack ok- so if I lock my screen it will stay black and only flicker on when I move the mouse of hit a key, but just go blank again. I guess greet freaks out if it doesnt know who I am..

rugbert fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 20, 2012

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
damnit - double post, my bad. need more coffee.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

rugbert posted:

code:
[main]
plugins=ifupdown,keyfile
dns=dnsmasq

[ifupdown]
managed=false

Change to:
code:
[main]
plugins=ifupdown,keyfile
#dns=dnsmasq

[ifupdown]
managed=false

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

evol262 posted:

Change to:
code:
[main]
plugins=ifupdown,keyfile
#dns=dnsmasq

[ifupdown]
managed=false

Ohhhh you said uncomment. Ok So I'll restart now and see whats what.

I rebooted and seemed to have lost my manual login option. A couple reboots later it's back, Im logged in annnnnd looks like Im still being forgotten.

I just checked syslog and it claims that my domain is up tho...

rugbert fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 20, 2012

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
When you're "forgotten", can you kinit?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

revmoo posted:

This sounds like a job for the XBMC PVR feature.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=PVR

Numerous backends supported (Tvheadend seems to be preferred these days) and a nice friendly frontend that runs on pretty much every OS in common use.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

evol262 posted:

When you're "forgotten", can you kinit?

yeah, it asks for my password and then nothing. If I enter a wrong password it tells me as much, so I guess it's authenticating.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
I dont know what's going on with my double posting today. Im going to take a break from the internet now.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

rugbert posted:

yeah, it asks for my password and then nothing. If I enter a wrong password it tells me as much, so I guess it's authenticating.

"klist" will show a ticket. So Kerberos is working, presumably.

Look at /etc/ldap.conf. Or "nslookup your.domain".
Try an LDAP query (authenticated bind) against one of the servers listed.
What does "id" show when you're logged in (as soon as you log in, and once you're forgotten)?
getent passwd $your.uid ?
/var/log/authlog?
Are you still getting the dnsmasq messages?

It may be worth trying PBIS or Winbind.

shimmy
Apr 20, 2011
Complete Linux newbie here with a rather silly problem.
At work I'm doing some stuff in a virtual machine with xubuntu, it's not so hard to get around so I want to put it on my old centrino thinkpad because it's very slow right now.
Anyway I installed it from usb onto the hdd and it's all good except it won't boot. If I boot from the usb stick it works, and I can pull out the stick so it is definitely not running from that. But booting from hdd just gives me a blank screen and blinking cursor instantly after the bios.
I figure I did something wrong but seeing as how booting from the install media puts me straight into the OS, I don't know how to start over! (and I don't know how to describe the problem in a way that will get me usable search results)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

shimmy posted:

At work I'm doing some stuff in a virtual machine with xubuntu, it's not so hard to get around so I want to put it on my old centrino thinkpad because it's very slow right now.
Anyway I installed it from usb onto the hdd and it's all good except it won't boot. If I boot from the usb stick it works, and I can pull out the stick so it is definitely not running from that. But booting from hdd just gives me a blank screen and blinking cursor instantly after the bios.
I figure I did something wrong but seeing as how booting from the install media puts me straight into the OS, I don't know how to start over! (and I don't know how to describe the problem in a way that will get me usable search results)

What has probably happened is that the bootloader, GRUB, has ended up installed to the USB stick rather than the hard drive. If so, you can likely fix this by booting from USB, then running sudo grub-install /dev/<whatever-your-hard-drive-is> from the terminal.

This does assume that it's just the bootloader that ended up installed in the wrong place, and nothing else needed for booting.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

shimmy posted:

Looks like you forgot to install a bootloader.
Check your Distro's manual for whatever procedure they recommend.

If you can't find anything try this:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=10

e: ^^^Ninja

shimmy
Apr 20, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

What has probably happened is that the bootloader, GRUB, has ended up installed to the USB stick rather than the hard drive. If so, you can likely fix this by booting from USB, then running sudo grub-install /dev/<whatever-your-hard-drive-is> from the terminal.

This does assume that it's just the bootloader that ended up installed in the wrong place, and nothing else needed for booting.
Looks that way but I don't know why it would do that. It certainly wasn't an option.
But I did as you said and it worked. Pretty easy though I gotta say I had no clue how <whatever-my-hard-drive-is> is actually called :) I eventually went with dev/sda because I saw someone refer to multiple drives as sda1 and sda2.
I am that clueless, but I don't think I'll have any more trouble. It doesn't take 5 minutes to boot anymore and internet works out of the box so for now I have what I want.
Thanks!

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

shimmy posted:

Looks that way but I don't know why it would do that. It certainly wasn't an option.
But I did as you said and it worked. Pretty easy though I gotta say I had no clue how <whatever-my-hard-drive-is> is actually called :) I eventually went with dev/sda because I saw someone refer to multiple drives as sda1 and sda2.
I am that clueless, but I don't think I'll have any more trouble. It doesn't take 5 minutes to boot anymore and internet works out of the box so for now I have what I want.
Thanks!

I used to run into that problem at my old job when we had drivers and stuff like that on our USB stick to get raid working and then someone runs the installer from CD and it wipes the bootloader from the USB. The BIOS may put it first in the order, or the OS just picks it up as /dev/sda while your real hard drives are something like /dev/sdb.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Aaaghh I'm so goddamn tired of every tiny thing taking 4 million steps and having 300 dependencies that require 20 new repositories. Libvirt is dumb and kvm can go suck a dick. I will literally pay someone to show me what the gently caress I'm doing wrong with this.

Edit
Linux is like a MMO, you always feel one step away from leveling up Fireball of poo poo Working Right and 8 hours later, cross eyed with drool hanging from your chin, you look at your watch and shout "WHY THE gently caress DOES NOTHING WORK"

Pudgygiant fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 21, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Pudgygiant posted:

Aaaghh I'm so goddamn tired of every tiny thing taking 4 million steps and having 300 dependencies that require 20 new repositories. Libvirt is dumb and kvm can go suck a dick. I will literally pay someone to show me what the gently caress I'm doing wrong with this.

What exactly are you trying to do, and what distro are you trying to do it on? Chances are someone has done it before and there's a package or writeup somewhere.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.
In iptables, what does --sport do? I understand --dport, but don't understand --sport.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Oh by the way, don't ever try to use yum to remove an entire group like KDE without carefully scanning the dependency list. It will list pretty much every drat package you ever installed other than gnome ones. There's an option that's supposed to prevent removal of packages that other groups list as dependencies (--disableplugin=remove-with-leaves I think) but I can't believe the default behaviour is considered acceptable. It listed openoffice and opera as dependencies!

Also unreasonably difficult: removing the dozens of useless locales that take up 400mb or the nearly one gigabyte of huge oxygen theme icons.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Crush posted:

In iptables, what does --sport do? I understand --dport, but don't understand --sport.

dport is destination port, sport is source port. It's that simple. :)

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Pudgygiant posted:

Aaaghh I'm so goddamn of every tiny thing taking 4 million and 300 dependencies require 20 new repositories. Libvirt is dumb and kvm can go suck a dick. I will literally pay someone to show me what the gently caress I'm doing wrong with this.

Edit
Linux is like a MMO, you always feel one step away from leveling up Fireball of poo poo Working Right and 8 hours later, with drool hanging from your chin, you look at your watch and shout "WHY THE gently caress DOES NOTHING WORK"

Provide information. What are you trying to do? On what distro? What problems are you having?

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

CentOS 6.2 and Ubuntu 12.10. VMs create just fine (besides the Quantal in Quantal known issue), I can VNC into them no problem, but OpenSSH server won't install. I'm probably doing something dumb and it's a really easy fix, I just hate that every time I want to tweak something in the VM it takes 3 minutes to reprovision.

For a stupid first question, I'm using "--ip=69.162.xxx.xxx --gw=69.162.xxx.xxx" in the vmbuilder command, but it doesn't seem to do anything, because when I edit the XML there's no mention of IPs. I can add it in manually and it works just fine. Is that deprecated, or am I just using it wrong?

Pudgygiant fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Nov 21, 2012

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
At best, vmbuilder is passing something through to Debootstrap or kickstart. I tend to use virsh, and I've never touched vmbuilder.

Three minutes to reprovision a VM? Please explain what you mean by reprovision. In this context, it's sounding OpenStack/cloud-y, and that's probably not what you meant.

Are they NATed, or bridged? Can you ping out from them? Does networking work in general (it probably doesn't)? Can you give actual information on your setup?

I don't care if you're running CentOS 6.2 or Ubuntu 12.10. I want to know:

Are you using virt-manager? qemu-kvm? Something else?
Is networking bridged? Is it being forwarded through some tun interface? Did you do this by hand, or through some kind of wizard?
Does networking work in the guest? VNC "to the guest" is actually to libvirt on the host. It's not any guarantee that networking actually works. Does it? Can you ping out? What's the IP address? Results from a broadcast ping? Does Wireshark on the host show traffic on any of the interfaces? If no, see the previous questions.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

shimmy posted:

On modern linuxes, hard drives (including SATA, SCSI, IDE, and externally connected USB hard drives and thumbdrives) are called /dev/sdX, with X starting at "a" for the first drive. Partitions have the name of their disk postfixed with the partition number, so /dev/sda2 is the second partition on the first drive.

For finding out which devices are being used for what, you have a few options. df -h will show you filesystem usage, but also which devices are mounted where. mount is harder to read but will give you more information like filesystem type. cat /proc/partitions will show you all disks and their partitions, whether mounted or not.

On the graphical side, gparted is a powerful partition editor that can also be used just to examine what disks you have connected and how they're partitioned. lshw-gtk will tell you more than you ever wanted to know, including disk model names and serial numbers, which is useful if you have a bunch of same-size disks connected and need to figure out which disk corresponds to which device.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

ToxicFrog posted:

For finding out which devices are being used for what, you have a few options. df -h will show you filesystem usage, but also which devices are mounted where. mount is harder to read but will give you more information like filesystem type. cat /proc/partitions will show you all disks and their partitions, whether mounted or not.

df gives you partition type with -T, so df -hT if 1K blocks scare you :p.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

evol262 posted:

Are you using virt-manager? qemu-kvm? Something else?
Is networking bridged? Is it being forwarded through some tun interface? Did you do this by hand, or through some kind of wizard?
Does networking work in the guest? VNC "to the guest" is actually to libvirt on the host. It's not any guarantee that networking actually works. Does it? Can you ping out? What's the IP address? Results from a broadcast ping? Does Wireshark on the host show traffic on any of the interfaces? If no, see the previous questions.

Qemu-kvm
Bridged, br0, by hand
Networking works fine, I can ping the guest from remote as soon as I bring it up.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Ok. What error are you getting when you try to install openssh-server?

Is IP forwarding actually turned on? Can the guest ping anything on the internet (4.2.2.2 or whatever)?

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I'm looking to snag a new video card in Newegg's Black Friday Sale. Will be used primarily for gaming. I know NVidia has historically has been better supported on Linux. Is this still the case? The ATI HD 4xxx card I currently have gives me all kinds of problems.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
I've never had a bad experience with Nvidia cards on Linux. I use three different desktop machines with Nvidia cards, and Kubuntu has always automatically installed the proprietary drivers.

In other news, kernel 3.7 allows cross-subvolume reflinks in btrfs :dance:

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Yeah, I can ping in/out just fine. The host is a dedicated server in Denver and I'm in Afghanistan, so I'm going to assume the networking is working ok. It tosses up a permissions error, even though I'm logged in as root. I'm using a fresh Lubuntu iso but not getting any install prompt so I think it's some vmbuilder setting I don't know about that's installing it silently and setting some root permissions I can't see.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Lysidas posted:

In other news, kernel 3.7 allows cross-subvolume reflinks in btrfs :dance:

Whosawhatnow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Pudgygiant posted:

Yeah, I can ping in/out just fine. The host is a dedicated server in Denver and I'm in Afghanistan, so I'm going to assume the networking is working ok. It tosses up a permissions error, even though I'm logged in as root. I'm using a fresh Lubuntu iso but not getting any install prompt so I think it's some vmbuilder setting I don't know about that's installing it silently and setting some root permissions I can't see.

AppArmor/SELinux? File ACLs?

What are you installing it on? KCOW? VMDK?