Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Mongoose
Oct 22, 2010

gooby on rails posted:

Those syndavers are among the most horrifying things I've ever seen on the show :stare:

e: The cannonball only cleared the barrels by a few inches and should have gone straight into the huge berm behind the setup. The question is how it got the additional height it needed to escape the entire area, they say they think it bounced off a rock.

Mythbusters shouldn't have been shooting a cannon anywhere near populated areas to begin with. They were just too cheap to find a safe location such as the quarry and this time it cost them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

dms666 posted:

Did anyone else notice recently shows on Discovery will go to commercial for a few minutes then come back with about 45-60 seconds of the show, then right back to commercials for a few more minutes? I just noticed this starting about a week or two ago during the Alaska show.

Yeah, it's annoying.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Are you sure that it is actually part of the show, and not those weird... how do I explain it... weird "extra" bits they stuff in between? Like for instance, Face Off on SyFy would do a thing once an episode where during a break, you'd get a little clip that didn't really have anything to do with the current episode. It was more just extra stuff that doesn't really fit any where.

I haven't really noticed because all I watch on Discovery is Mythbusters these days (what happened to Dirty Jobs?)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Golden Mongoose posted:

Mythbusters shouldn't have been shooting a cannon anywhere near populated areas to begin with. They were just too cheap to find a safe location such as the quarry and this time it cost them.

Its not like they're just going somewhere and shooting stuff off/exploding things. They always have police and fire department on scene and if they say its okay its not too out there to trust people they've been told are experts.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It looked to me like the cannon was originally aimed straight at the water barrels, but the recoil lifted the barrel up (and nearly lifted the whole front end of the cannon off the ground) when it fired.

Given that they had never fired it with anywhere nearly as powerful a charge before, they simply didn't expect it to do that.

Every other myth it's been used in, it didn't budge. But in those myths they were only firing metal balls using small charges of powder, or shooing cannon balls made of cheese. They hosed up big time firing cannon in a bomb disposal area not designed to act as a firing range. And they hosed up in having only some piddly little screw and nut affair (you can see it in the first image) to angle the cannon rather than having some sort of substantial mechanism.

I would say they took every precaution they thought necessary and were genuinely taken by complete surprise at how much the cannon lifted - but that doesn't mean poo poo when you fire a canon into someone's loving home.

You don't get to say, "Oops! Didn't expect that to happen" when you're firing artillery.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I like how the build team kept saying they were going to be the first people to fire a stone cannonball in 400 years.

I guess the first season was a longer time ago than I thought!

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 15, 2012

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oh hey, tonight's episode of Mythbusters was the episode with Alton Brown.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

muscles like this? posted:

Oh hey, tonight's episode of Mythbusters was the episode with Alton Brown.

and I am thoroughly enjoying it. It's been some time since I've watched Mythbusters. I've found the Discovery Channel programming to be disappointing the past couple years, so I don't even check it anymore. It seems like the only channel I watch regularly anymore is H2 for the documentaries.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't know what they were thinking with the first part of the "tastes like chicken" myth. Of course marinating the meat and putting a bunch of herbs and such onto it will screw up the test. Too bad they couldn't get AB for both sections. I kind of wonder how long he was around though since both bits involving him seemed like they wouldn't actually take all that long to do, just a couple of days of work altogether.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

This might make me an idiot, but my favorite part of tonight's episode was the Chinese pressure vessel popcorn just because of the result.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently somebody at Discovery Channel hosed up because channel guide descriptions mention a myth that wasn't in the episode but ended up on their website. Something about being able to cook lasagna in a dishwasher.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Alton with the crib notes.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Apparently somebody at Discovery Channel hosed up because channel guide descriptions mention a myth that wasn't in the episode but ended up on their website. Something about being able to cook lasagna in a dishwasher.

What, like, a vacuum-sealed sous-vide in the dishwasher, I would guess?

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
It's been posted:
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/videos/dishwasher-lasagna-minimyth.htm#mkcpgn=snag1

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Thanks! I thought their videos were geo-locked and wouldn't work in Canada, for some reason, but I was clearly mistaken!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watching this it really seems like they cut it out at the last second considering the bit where Adam pretends to cut himself on the mandolin made it into the opening of the episode.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Grant had a hell of a time eating that meat-less heavy meal. It looked disgusting, and he looked like he was sweating like crazy trying to keep it down.

Another problem with the 'blind' taste tests was that those were terrible blindfolds; it was obvious Tory had big gaps he could see through. There wouldn't've been much reason for him to cheat, but still. They couldn't whip up some blacked-out swimming goggles or something?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

That whole gimmick with the build team sucked. I have eaten before, I don't need people to tell me what food tastes like.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

That whole gimmick with the build team sucked. I have eaten before, I don't need people to tell me what food tastes like.

What are you talking about?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The tryptophan experiments were horrible in how they were portrayed. Like REALLY bad. Like, fly in the face of the very thing Adam Savage tends to preach with science bad. It came off like an elementary school experiment. I know they leave stuff out for editing often, but dammit basically everything about that experiment just seemed wrong.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

thexerox123 posted:

What are you talking about?

Chicken tastes like chicken, other foods don't. Its a waste of time.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Chicken tastes like chicken, other foods don't. Its a waste of time.

Except for boar, apparently.

And it seems like a pretty disingenuous complaint when they were eating a variety of meats that I'd be willing to assume you've never eaten.

At the very least, the vast majority of their viewers won't have ever eaten a lot of those meats.

"I'm pretty sure I've tasted diamondback snake and tortoise before, Mythbusters. :rolleyes: I DO EAT FOOD, YOU KNOW"

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 20, 2012

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

ToastyPotato posted:

The tryptophan experiments were horrible in how they were portrayed. Like REALLY bad. Like, fly in the face of the very thing Adam Savage tends to preach with science bad. It came off like an elementary school experiment. I know they leave stuff out for editing often, but dammit basically everything about that experiment just seemed wrong.

Definitely agree. The show was a lot better when they took the time to explain methodologies and actually ran control experiments multiple times to get a more accurate baseline. I'm also somewhat disappointed that they ran the experiment three days in a row without taking into consideration what effect compounding those meals like that would have on the boys.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

thexerox123 posted:

Except for boar, apparently.

And it seems like a pretty disingenuous complaint when they were eating a variety of meats that I'd be willing to assume you've never eaten.

At the very least, the vast majority of their viewers won't have ever eaten a lot of those meats.

"I'm pretty sure I've tasted diamondback snake and tortoise before, Mythbusters. :rolleyes: I DO EAT FOOD, YOU KNOW"

The build team is not an adequate sample size, and they're generally terrible at things where the human is the experiment. If they built a demonic tasting machine, it would be infinitely more interesting. Watching them eat is stupid and boring. Even with a group of volunteers, the experiment would be more valid, but watching people chew and swallow, much like the food they were eating, is low-content filler.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

ToastyPotato posted:

Are you sure that it is actually part of the show, and not those weird... how do I explain it... weird "extra" bits they stuff in between? Like for instance, Face Off on SyFy would do a thing once an episode where during a break, you'd get a little clip that didn't really have anything to do with the current episode. It was more just extra stuff that doesn't really fit any where.

I haven't really noticed because all I watch on Discovery is Mythbusters these days (what happened to Dirty Jobs?)

After seeing it happen again tonight, yeah it was kinda just a random clip out of nowhere. It is still annoying that you have to sit through around 7+ minutes of commercials between parts of the actual episode, just so they can fit in that 30 second clip.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't know why they cut the lasagna myth but kept the popcorn one. The popcorn myth was boring and kind of pointless while the lasagna one had at least something going on with it.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
I have to wait over 2 months to see new episodes because Canadian discovery is dumb and bad, but I watched the extras for that ep online and the lasagna working passably was a surprise. It also looked delicious!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Glen Goobersmooches posted:

I have to wait over 2 months to see new episodes because Canadian discovery is dumb and bad, but I watched the extras for that ep online and the lasagna working passably was a surprise. It also looked delicious!

Well as a Canadian you should be familiar with the Surreal Gourmet and his dishwasher salmon so it shouldn't be all that surprising. :colbert:

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
The Lasagna segment was way better than the stupid "what taste like chicken" experiment, which I don't even know how'd they ever do it correctly anyway.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
They're right about alligator though. When it's cooked properly it actually does taste like really chewy chicken.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Pyroclastic posted:

Grant had a hell of a time eating that meat-less heavy meal. It looked disgusting, and he looked like he was sweating like crazy trying to keep it down.

Everything about the meal was almost liquid. The mashed potatoes ran off the spoon like a soup. Whoever the hell prepared that meal is an awful, awful cook.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The sleepy myth was bad on that front too. Most of it was filler of them eating with unflattering close ups of disgusting amounts of food. And the 2nd day meal was needlessly horrible in appearance. Both build team myths were terrible basically and it really sucks that they cut a main team myth for them.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Yeah that sounds awful. They haven't really gained prestige or credibility within the framework of the show through the passing years - in fact, their assignments and scripting is more asinine than ever.

I think the only time I actually liked them losing their lunch was when they were unexpectedly all wretching during the making of "Earwax Candle", because it wasn't supposed to be the content of the segment. Obviously, they're keen to artificially recreate that whenever they get an opportunity.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
In other Discovery networks news, the Science Channel will be airing the start of a new season of Dark Matters: Twisted But True this evening, the historical vignettes show hosted by what is essentially alternate universe Walter Bishop.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/amish-mafia

Well, this is a thing. It's a thing that exists.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

gooby on rails posted:

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/amish-mafia

Well, this is a thing. It's a thing that exists.

Whether this is fake or real, the fact is that the show itself does exist. And I don't really know what to think about that.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Teek posted:

In other Discovery networks news, the Science Channel will be airing the start of a new season of Dark Matters: Twisted But True this evening, the historical vignettes show hosted by what is essentially alternate universe Walter Bishop.

The Science Channel is also airing Fringe, because why the gently caress not.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

golgo13sf posted:

The Science Channel is also airing Fringe, because why the gently caress not.

And yet, it's still more scientific than Mantracker.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Tewratomeh posted:

Whether this is fake or real, the fact is that the show itself does exist. And I don't really know what to think about that.

I remember hearing a while back some Amish up in Pennsylvania got busted running weed and guns. I think it was Pennsylvania. Maybe it was down here in Virginia. Neither would surprise me, honestly :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Capn Beeb posted:

I remember hearing a while back some Amish up in Pennsylvania got busted running weed and guns. I think it was Pennsylvania. Maybe it was down here in Virginia. Neither would surprise me, honestly :v:

There was also the Amish beard-cutting scandal earlier this year. Maybe the Amish are just way more hardcore than we thought.

• Locked thread