Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UtahIsNotAState
Jun 27, 2006

Dick will make you slap somebody!
Just beat AC:Brotherhood.

It continues the tradition of having a lot of side missions that are so repetitive that you get burned out quickly. After about sequence 5 I decided to just stop doing them and just powered through the rest of the game.

I really loving hate the stupid guitar players or whatever that keep on running at you. There was one mission you use a gun, and as soon as I lined up the shot the musician ran in front of it and got shot. Then every once in a while they send 3 of them at you for no good reason.

I guess I should start on revelations, or maybe play some quick game like spec ops: the line so that way I get a break from the series.

My jaw dropped at that ending though. I was like 100% confident that abstergo was gonna bust in there and end the party. I did not think they were gonna kill (maybe she's alive?) Lucy. I was kinda mad that all we got out of the credits was that guy treating desmond. I was hoping we would get more answers.

But it feels really good to beat another game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
If you we're getting sick of AssCreed during Brotherhood the. I'm not sure Revelations is the game for you right now.

Just beat Dishonored and man what an awesome game. Awesome world, great graphics and brutal gameplay that's smooth as butter. I went through it being a semi sneaky murderous thug and I can't wait to replay on a harder difficulty going pacifist. This is probably one of my favorite games of the year.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Yodzilla posted:

If you we're getting sick of AssCreed during Brotherhood the. I'm not sure Revelations is the game for you right now.
I have to agree here. Let it rest for a couple of months and play some other cool games.
I went through all three in a row, and did all side missions too because I love these games, but halfway through AssRev, I had enough and lost interest in it.
Also, Revelations is not in Italy which I kinda missed when I played it.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Hopefully everyone else has been playing this.

Completed: The Walking Dead - God, I'm actually close to crying after it, even the end credit music was perfect. If its on sale, I wholeheartedly recommend getting it. It really is that good.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Not Steam, but gently caress it, I'm proud of myself.

Completed: Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. 100%, 180 emblems and all (and A-ranking the secret stage because that's a great victory lap). The notice that the game was coming out on XBLA and PSN (and presumably Steam eventually) pushed me to pick it back up, start from the beginning, and clock the entire thing.

It really was the best 3D Sonic until Generations came out, and of all the old 3D Sonics it's the one that's definitely aged the best. There's some sketchy bits, and I won't defend a lot of the Knuckles/Rouge levels in particular, but it holds together much better than both its direct predecessor and successors.

EDIT: vv Oh, so it did come out on PC. I missed that.

And yeah, I kinda missed Sonic Colors. I'll accept that Colors is probably pretty close to SA2 in quality, maybe even better (the Chao Garden counts for a lot more than it should though). But for being worryingly close to the start of the Sonic Dark Ages, and arguably starting some of the worst parts of it, it's still a great game.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 23, 2012

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Well, SA2 is indeed on Steam. Came out some days ago.

Cleretic posted:

It really was the best 3D Sonic until Generations came out

I assume you didn't play Sonic Colors? I'd place SA2 as the third best 3D Sonic.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Anyone else getting a strange error with The Backloggery? I input my username and password, it goes to my profile (instead of showing the wrong password screen) but I can't actually edit anything, like I didn't log in at all. I tried using Chrome and IE and it happens in both.

LordAndrew
Jul 13, 2009

Walking death machine equipped with the knowledge of Nuclear.

VisAbsoluta posted:

Anyone else getting a strange error with The Backloggery? I input my username and password, it goes to my profile (instead of showing the wrong password screen) but I can't actually edit anything, like I didn't log in at all. I tried using Chrome and IE and it happens in both.

Logging in and modifying games works for me on Chrome Version 23.0.1271.64 m. The only thing out of the ordinary I've noticed is that the site has been rendering incorrectly for me in the past few weeks.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

fwiw chrome was giving me malware warnings on backloggery the other day. nothing now though.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I'd love to get in on this! Anything to make playin' vidja games a more social experience. My backloggery is here:

I'm just now getting a computer that is capable of really taking advantage of Steam and I've started making...purchases. Not just for Steam though, I bought a handful of Steam games and next thing I knew I was buying PS3 and 360 games too, then started considering buying Steam versions of games I have for console but haven't finished like Fallout NV, and now I'm back to staring at this flash sale countdown salivating at the idea of another deal.

I'm Fifteen of Many and I'm an addict!

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Just a follow up in the log in problem: for some reason, if I select "forever" instead of "one hour" in the dropdown before inputing my user name and password, it works. :iiam:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

UtahIsNotAState posted:

I really loving hate the stupid guitar players or whatever that keep on running at you. There was one mission you use a gun, and as soon as I lined up the shot the musician ran in front of it and got shot. Then every once in a while they send 3 of them at you for no good reason.

Here comes the magnanimous signiooreeee!

I think I'll beat Psychonauts one of these days.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
My little jaunt to play stuff I didn't get on purpose has been quite productive:

COMPLETED: Treasure Adventure Game. With 100%+. Mostly a really good Metroidvania-y game, and I guess I got it as a free promo from GOG.com or something. Humongous world, lots of stuff to explore, spectacularly murderous boss fights. I had more trouble with bosses here than I did with La-Mulana. I'm not kidding, and this doesn't seem to have been the norm. Not sure what the deal was.

BEATEN: Critical Mass. On Casual Classic mode. Got this as part of some indie pack and it wasn't something I'd immediately cared about. It was bad when I gave it 10 minutes a few weeks back, and it didn't get good. QuantZ is better by every metric.

BEATEN: Wizorb. Retroactive pack-in for one of the Humble Bundles. Cute little Arkanoid like game, but with more boss fights, and you get most of your abilities on tap all the time and spend Mana to use them. It doesn't have the kick that Shatter did, though, I don't think. Still, not actively bad.

Not a lot of actual backlog progress at the moment, since I'm emptying out my Steam and GOG wishlists. Projected damage in the Steam Autumn Sale is: Mark of the Ninja, Ether Vapor, and Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams. I expect that I'll have played respectable chunks of all three before the Christmas sale starts, though, so I'm not too worried about that.

The GOG sale did more damage in terms of absolute titles, but the one game I bought to play there (as opposed to 'mandatory pack-in', 'archival DRM-free modern-OS copy', or 'this developer/designer should get money from me') was To the Moon.

Speaking of which:

COMPLETED: To the Moon. For a puzzleless graphic adventure made in RPG Maker, it's really quite good. The premise left me cold if not repulsed, but the writing saved it, and it managed a few genuinely :3: moments, and the soundtrack got me misty-eyed a couple times. (This latter is because I am a sucker for mournful piano solos; even the loving Sky Sanctuary zone from Sonic and Knuckles can manage it). The main steam thread had a question about why anyone was impressed with the game: that turned into a more detailed trip report and analysis.

On deck: The plan is to play enough of the three autumn sale games to get a feel for them, then pick one to be my action game. Odds are Ether Vapor will ultimately get the nod. Then Dragon Age: Origins needs to be dealt with. It's been sitting, ignored, on my Steam install longer than anything else.

ManxomeBromide fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Nov 25, 2012

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
Beat: The Dig
I'd like someone to tell me that I've not gotten dumber in my old age, and that the puzzles in this game are really as obtuse as I thought they were. Maybe I'm just not as patient as I used to be. The game brought me back to those old Lucasarts adventure days, and I loved the animations, backgrounds, even the font used for the subtitles. The gameplay, I thought, was god awful, and eventually I got annoyed and used a walkthrough. In one section, a set of displays shows you clues to solve certain puzzles using alien icons and symbols, but they were vague and usually made no sense until you'd already solved the puzzle. I tried to activate a bridge to another area by clicking on various symbols, then read the walkthrough and discovered you have to click and hold until the bridge is completely formed. Sometimes, you have to talk to a certain NPC at a certain time in a certain place to get a clue.

By the way, the three main characters you interact with are some of the most unlikeable characters I've ever seen in a game. The dialogue is atrocious. Yet another reason for me to dislike Orson Scott Card.

I really wanted to like this, but it just annoyed me. It makes me want to play a more modern adventure game to see how much the genre has improved. Maybe I'll try The Longest Journey or the new Monkey Island episodes.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Beat: Season of Mystery: The Cherry Blossom Murders
I have no idea why, in the middle of a great Steam sale, I decided to spend 3 hours playing a mediocre Hidden Object game, when I have so many awesome games just waiting to be played.
I guess that's why I'm posting in this thread. I need help :negative:

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

BeanBandit posted:

I'd like someone to tell me that I've not gotten dumber in my old age, and that the puzzles in this game are really as obtuse as I thought they were.

The Dig was the most opaque of that era - its immediate successors, Full Throttle and Curse of Monkey Island, were way better.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Beat Hitman: Absolution and Hotline Miami and enjoyed both of them immensely. Yeah I know some people are all up in arms about Absolution not being Blood Money but I think apart from a few levels it's largely fantastic and a complete joy to play. The Glacier 2 engine it's running on is goddamn gorgeous too. Definitely a quality game with good length and excellent replayability.

Hotline Miami is just a loving trip. Can't recommend it enough for some crazy as balls acid trip action.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

BeanBandit posted:

I'd like someone to tell me that I've not gotten dumber in my old age, and that the puzzles in this game are really as obtuse as I thought they were. Maybe I'm just not as patient as I used to be. The game brought me back to those old Lucasarts adventure days, and I loved the animations, backgrounds, even the font used for the subtitles. The gameplay, I thought, was god awful, and eventually I got annoyed and used a walkthrough. [...]

By the way, the three main characters you interact with are some of the most unlikeable characters I've ever seen in a game. The dialogue is atrocious. Yet another reason for me to dislike Orson Scott Card.

Yeah, that's The Dig in a nutshell.

quote:

I really wanted to like this, but it just annoyed me. It makes me want to play a more modern adventure game to see how much the genre has improved. Maybe I'll try The Longest Journey or the new Monkey Island episodes.

TLJ will probably not improve your opinion, and even if it does it may end up just frustrating you when you hit the cliffhanger at the end of the second game with no end in sight.

The Dig is one of LA's weaker SCUMM games; I'd recommend Sam & Max Hit the Road, The Secret of Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, or Loom over it without hesitation. I'm told that the new Monkey Island games are pretty good, too, and the new Sam & Max games start kind of shaky but steadily improve. I've also heard a lot of praise for the Walking Dead games by the same devs.

I also quite enjoyed Ben There, Dan That & Time, Gentlemen, Please!, but I know some people found the writing extremely grating.

Quitte
Nov 2, 2011

nee-deep

Does anyone have a backup of the backloggery.exe? The link in the OP seems to be down.
edit: Nevermind, it's working again.

Here is my yet very incomplete backloggery page:

And also my steam id, feel free to add me: http://steamcommunity.com/id/meisterquitte/

Quitte fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 28, 2012

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

ToxicFrog posted:

The Dig is one of LA's weaker SCUMM games; I'd recommend Sam & Max Hit the Road, The Secret of Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, or Loom over it without hesitation.

Yeah, I've played the original Monkey Island, Full Throttle, and Loom, and I loved all of them. I hoped The Dig would live up to them. Oh well, I did get a lot of nostalgia out of it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Quitte posted:

Does anyone have a backup of the backloggery.exe? The link in the OP seems to be down.
edit: Nevermind, it's working again.

Github was upgrading their anti-spam systems and accidentally disabled my account. Should be sorted now.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I sort of finished Dustforce. I mean, not really, but I'm probably done with it. I've SSed every level except Hideout, Abyss and Backup Shift. So I won't get to play the very final level, which I suppose means I won't actually finish the game, but well. You gotta know how to recognize your limitations and quit when you're ahead.

Great game overall. I was skeptical at first if it'd be as difficult as SMB but it sure delivered on some of those gold levels. After getting 106% on SMB and A+ on each level, then doing some ironman runs, however, I don't feel like I can get into another slog with a punishing platformer, so I'm calling Dustforce done at this point.

I did beat those three levels, though. I'd say Abyss seems the most doable in terms of SSing it but screw it. The other two are just plain nonsense.

Started on The Witcher 2 and have now arrived at Flotsam. It's okay so far. The first is quite possibly one of my favorite RPGs so I'm hoping this picks up soon, after all I've only done the prologue. Best thing so far is the writing on Dandelion's journal entries, which is great. I was a little baffled by the inclusion of QTEs, though... seems totally unnecessary. I'm also not entirely convinced by the UI from my PC-centric perspective, but I guess it could've been a lot worse.

UrbanSurgeon
Aug 22, 2012

Skinheads & Lollypops
653 games and counting.. I can see this is going to take me years to complete.

Add me on steam for motivation: http://steamcommunity.com/id/UrbanSurgeon/

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Guys I did it... I never thought this would happen.

Beat: Spacechem :woop:
I need to lay down now.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Zedd posted:

I need to lay down now.

Well done. That game just gets deeper and deeper in complexity.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Zedd posted:

I need to lay down now.

Did you use guides or did you do it like a real man?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Zedd posted:

I need to lay down now.
Good lord, man.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Zedd posted:

I need to lay down now.

:science::respek::science:

I beat it over a year ago and the glow still hasn't quite worn off.

This also means: finally, someone I can pose my question to.

On the last defense mission, did you actually use all of your outputs? Because I didn't, and I'm not sure if that kind of corner-cutting was expected. This also meant that "thrust left" was permanently on.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Zedd posted:

I need to lay down now.

Congratulations!

I just finished Don't Fear the Reaper myself.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Zedd posted:

I need to lay down now.

Now you just need to beat the DLC. Oh, and the dozens of user-made levels, some of which are downright sadistic.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I'm still giddy I managed to beat it, I think I looked up about 5 reactors in the entire game because I was missing obvious stuff.

I did beat the DLC ages ago, that actually clicked with me.
The 2nd to last planet on the other hand... :negative: 4 months.

Gilgamesh
Nov 26, 2001

I just beat Sleeping Dogs and holy poo poo I haven't had this much fun with an open-ended game since Arkham City. I'm at about 47/50 achievements on the main game, but I don't think I'm going to go for completion (because gently caress Karaoke minigames).

Also Fart of Presto's high scores have broken my spirits.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Nulled: City of Heroes.

:smith:

I intended to post this as a joke, but... it's somehow gotten in the way of playing the games I have to play through. I'm at the point of deciding which game to play (it's come down to the last map of Sanctum, Just Cause 2, E.Y.E., and Grimrock),but while yesterday they all sounded great to me, right now they're all just sort of... eh. I don't have any real attraction to any of them right now.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Just got Darksiders II completed. The character and enemy design was very cliche but the environments looked great with this hand painted aesthetic and great variety in the environments.

Solid game all around in terms of combat and 3rd person Prince of Persia type puzzles and platforming. I don't recall if I played the first on a higher difficulty, but if it was on normal than I found the sequel to be quite a bit easier.

It's got some thing that really help cut down on the little frustrations. You can leave dungeons by fast travel to sell gear or buy potions and then fast travel right back to where you left from. It's never ambiguous what you can or cannot interact with in the environment.

Can't fault it much, but the same niggling little enemies in between puzzles/fights to build up mana can be a chore.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Beat: Orcs must Die 2. This is a bad game compared to the first. If you play it in single player, that is! In co-op, which I had a good partner for, it's loads and loads of fun.

Currently playing: Red Faction Armageddon. Also known as "Magnet Gun, the game: attack of the completely uninteresting spacebugs".

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Cleretic posted:

Nulled: City of Heroes.

I kind of wish I could remove it from my Steam so I don't get sad every time I see it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
So beat the story mode of Sine Mora and good lord what an intriguing game. I'm not going to say it's the best SHMUP ever (or STG as it calls itself) but it's really goddamn fun and absolutely gorgeous. And the fact that a SHMUP has an actual story with some depth, as bizarre as it is, is completely foreign to me.

I kind of wish it was longer though. I know there's Score Attack and Arcade Mode but the game was so lovingly crafted that I really want more stages. Also maybe longer ones, I feel like some barely had any wave-based enemies before reaching boss encounters.

And speaking of bosses, the giant spinning circle maze is probably the coolest boss I've ever seen in a SHMUP. It really plays with the whole strange concept of how movement works in those games.

What a neat little title.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Time for some games that don't really qualify as full games.

BEATEN: Gravity Bone and Thirty Flights of Loving - Man were these games fun, picked them up during the Autumn Sale. Really vibrant and colourful, charming with the warbled sounds of the people talking. Both are meant to be savoured, not to be rushed through, so read every sign, try drink every bottle, enjoy yourself while you can as it will all be over in a few minutes.

BEATEN: Worms Crazy Golf - Hmm, this is an oddity, I always enjoy Worms games, even the 3D ones :stare: , but this version irked me a bit. Skill doesn't really count, it eventually boils down to abusing the array of special abilities you're given over the course of the game. It's an enjoyable game, but it quickly becomes apparent that they want you to collect EVERY coin, which is an exercise in frustration. No way I'm even going to try after getting 100% in the first stage.

Currently stuck working on final projects and studying for exams, so will force myself from opening Steam for a few weeks. Come the holidays though, will be hitting into Assassins Creed 3 properly, play some Borderlands 1 with my friend online and try clear some more small games.

Sovy Kurosei
Oct 9, 2012

Thoughtless posted:

Beat: Orcs must Die 2. This is a bad game compared to the first. If you play it in single player, that is! In co-op, which I had a good partner for, it's loads and loads of fun.

Currently playing: Red Faction Armageddon. Also known as "Magnet Gun, the game: attack of the completely uninteresting spacebugs".

I remember playing that game and calculating that I killed an alien every eleven and a half seconds, and I wasn't even trying to kill as fast as possible. It felt like wading through water up to my chest since I felt like I wasn't making much progress even though I was putting a lot of effort into it.

I wish Volition made a straight up sequel to Red Faction: Guerrilla instead of trying to throwback to earlier games and adding aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Did Red Faction 2 have aliens? I know 1 did (and they were the worst part of RF1) but I think 2 was all shooting dudes. Man was RF2 a disappointment.