Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

CloseFriend posted:

Stupid question, I know, but anyway… That beer pizza from a couple pages back? I still have the other half of the dough! I forgot to ever do anything with it. Is it still usable or do I need to chuck it?

EDIT: For those too :effort: to look, it's been almost a month.

Was it in the fridge or the freezer? If it's the freezer than its fine for months.

If it was the fridge...... it's probably okay in terms of safety it probably won't kill you but I don't think it will taste good. Give it a smell and if it smells like dough I say go for it. (do not sue me if you die from this)

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Nov 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
Everything I've read is that you should only keep it for a week or so. Jmcrofts right that it wont kill you but dough is so cheap and pretty fast to make its not really worth it in my opinion.

turtle_hermit
Dec 9, 2009

Tomato sauce, spinach, mozz, purple onion. Fresh basil and olive oil after the bake.
Haven't made a pie in at least six months, turned out great.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

turtle_hermit posted:

Tomato sauce, spinach, mozz, purple onion. Fresh basil and olive oil after the bake.
Haven't made a pie in at least six months, turned out great.

That looks excellent. Great job.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Hey pizza goons, I saw how much you loved my last pizza so I made another (Using the dough in the OP)

Pre-shredded colby jack
Chicken that brined in pickle juice
Pace salsa. (since you guys dont like tostitos?)
Honey crisp apples
Half an onion.

Tenchrono fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 8, 2012

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
:lol: Do these at least taste good? They may be ugly as hell but I salute you for your efforts. If that's what you like then more power to you... However, that crust doesn't really look too cooked...

How did it come out?

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

smarion2 posted:

:lol: Do these at least taste good? They may be ugly as hell but I salute you for your efforts. If that's what you like then more power to you... However, that crust doesn't really look too cooked...

How did it come out?

They taste good to me :shrug:. No one else is around to eat them though. I've been pre-cooking the crust so I can handle it better since I don't have any cool Pizza paddle things, but they do come out done.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Tenchrono posted:

No one else is around to eat them though.

Well I can't imagine why not!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Would rather eat a hot pocket

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

:h:Knight of the
Rainbow Table.:h:
After experimenting with gluten free pizza, I envy even the Frankenpizza. :smith:

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Not one of my best looking (forgot to pound it out to get all the big bubbles out, so they burned a bit), but definitely one of my best tasting. Pure sourdough on this one, no baking yeast. A WARM rise experiment. This batch rose for about 36 hours at room temperature.

And some structure. Really happy with the rise on this one.

forbidden dialectics fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Nov 10, 2012

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

That looks pretty much perfect to me. This is what a pizza should look like!

I like it a little bit burnt myself, though.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Nostrum posted:

Not one of my best looking (forgot to pound it out to get all the big bubbles out, so they burned a bit), but definitely one of my best tasting. Pure sourdough on this one, no baking yeast. A WARM rise experiment. This batch rose for about 36 hours at room temperature.

This looks so amazing. We used some of the starter you gave us last night after I had been neglecting it for months and it still rose like a champ.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I've been spinning through the thread regarding the pizza steel debate and really can't work out what the consensus on them is? Are they worth the $80 or did we find another easy source for them?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Heners_UK posted:

I've been spinning through the thread regarding the pizza steel debate and really can't work out what the consensus on them is? Are they worth the $80 or did we find another easy source for them?

Dunno if you have seen it but serious eats had a few in-depth tests/reviews of it. I might ask for one for Christmas this year.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

First attempt at homemade pizza, used agentseven's recipe & methods except for no butter on the crust:

The crust needs some work but I was able to toss the rest of it to an even thickness despite the oval shape. I only had one large bubble so I think that speaks to the excellent instructions on kneading time/amount.

My oven goes to 550F but an infrared thermometer put the pizza stone at closer to 590F when I slid on the pizza (on parchment paper); after 5 minutes, I put the broiler on high as the crust was beginning to darken.

Next attempt will have a bit more effort on perfecting crust and tossing to size, and I'll shoot for 4 minutes before high broiler to try to brown the cheese a bit more.

Thanks again for the most excellent research and recipe, agentseven!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Pizza stone is the best stone, shop-bought pizzas just suck and I am incredibly happy to be able to create my own awesome pizzas.

Proscuitto di Speck and rocket with (a little too much) mozzarella. Took 10 minutes to build and 5 to cook, perfect for a weekday dinner.

Now I just need to work out how to make them either a bit more round or a bit more square, I end up with a lot of funky shapes.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Pizza isn't supposed to be perfectly round or square. :colbert:

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Pizza experience from last night..

me - "Dear, was there something in the oven other than the pizza stone?"

her - "No, why?"

me - "You had better open the windows and sliding glass door then because the oven looks like it is on fire.."

..as the cloud of smoke begins to billow out from the vent.. the rest is history and to avoid TLDR apparently something other than pizza was cooked on it and a pool of bubbling oil in a 500 degree oven is a bad thing.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Exactly! All true pizza aficionados know the correct shape is a trapezium.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Daedalus Esquire posted:

It would make for easier halving, poo poo's too tasty to get undercut on when sharing!

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger
Is there a secret to making an ultra-thin crust pizza that still has crispy AND chewy crust? Or does the dough need to be slightly thicker to have good chew?

I made a batch of dough that I was able to pull out super thin but by the time it got done baking, it was a cracker crust. I'm estimating about 1mm thick crust after cooking on my pizza stone. It was good, crisp, and light, but I'd have liked a bit more oven spring and chew to it.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Nostrum posted:

That is a goddamn proper pizza.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

THE MACHO MAN posted:

That is a goddamn proper pizza.

Ugh I wish you hadn't quoted that. I said it before but that is literally my dream pizza and I am currently very hungry and you reminded me this perfection existed somewhere :mad:

I want that.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

NLJP posted:

Ugh I wish you hadn't quoted that. I said it before but that is literally my dream pizza and I am currently very hungry and you reminded me this perfection existed somewhere :mad:

I want that.

Thanks, I've been making pizzas for about 2 years now and these are a result of A LOT of failed attempts and experiments.

Who likes anchovies? ME. I do. I like the anchovies.

A char pattern I'm proud to call my son.

All bechamel, one half has pancetta, romano, parmesan, cracked black pepper, the other half has caramelized onions, emmental, and fresh thyme.

Cross sections.

And what makes it all possible (this was after the oven was turned off):

forbidden dialectics fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 21, 2012

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Nostrum posted:

seven hundred ninety-loving-four degrees

Those really look fantastic. Reminds me of Totonno's. What type of voodoo is this oven operating on? Cleaning cycle?

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

geetee posted:

Those really look fantastic. Reminds me of Totonno's. What type of voodoo is this oven operating on? Cleaning cycle?

Yep, self-clean. I just snipped the locking mechanism off and jammed some tin foil in the door sensor. The oven takes about 1 hour to heat up to 800 degrees. I also use a Fibrament-D baking stone that is a loving indestructible champion.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010

Nostrum posted:

Yep, self-clean. I just snipped the locking mechanism off and jammed some tin foil in the door sensor. The oven takes about 1 hour to heat up to 800 degrees. I also use a Fibrament-D baking stone that is a loving indestructible champion.

May I move in with you please? Or can you mail me some pizza? ugghhhh I'm so jealous.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Mach420 posted:

Is there a secret to making an ultra-thin crust pizza that still has crispy AND chewy crust?

Yes, there is. Bake at 800+ degrees with a 65-70% hydration dough.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Is cleaning cycle pizza worth risking burning down my apartment for? Times likes these it would be helpful having someone living with me to say no.

I'm not sure if my stone can handle it. Does anyone know if they break violently or gently? I don't care if it breaks so long as it doesn't explode.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

geetee posted:

Is cleaning cycle pizza worth risking burning down my apartment for? Times likes these it would be helpful having someone living with me to say no.

I'm not sure if my stone can handle it. Does anyone know if they break violently or gently? I don't care if it breaks so long as it doesn't explode.

First of all, if you live in an apartment (and you rent)- it's not your oven, it's not your building. Don't mess with it! Having said that, ...

The risk of fire is basically zero. If your oven has a self-clean cycle, it was designed to withstand those types of heat. I've "forgotten" (i.e. imbibed considerable quantities of booze) about pizzas in there and they smolder and smoke WAY before they catch on fire. You do have a fire extinguisher in your kitchen, anyways, RIGHT?

For the stone - unless you have a Fibrament (or equivalent, of which, I know of none) stone, it can't handle the heat. Yes, it will break violently. 1 loving milliliter of sauce will cause it to explode in a terrifying way. Likewise for the glass on the oven door (this is experience talking, bud). I have folded a pizza upside down, sauce side down, onto the Fibrament stone at 850 degrees and it took it like a champ. Get one, they're pretty cheap and will literally last forever. If you're going to attempt this, you WILL gently caress up a pizza. Or have water on your hands. Or sweat a drop onto the oven glass door. Wear eye protection. You don't want shards of glass or stone shooting into your eyeball.

Here's one of the first pies I cooked on the self-clean cycle. Notice anything odd?

That mother fucker turned into cinder in less than 30 seconds. The dough was way under 60% hydration and I had absolutely no idea what I was dealing with. If you let it sit for 2 hours, the self clean cycle (in my oven) will hit over 900 degrees. For a frame of reference, that is hot enough to melt a solid block of zinc. The difference between baking a pie at 425 degrees and cooking a wet, sloppy, pizza at 800+ is staggering and takes practice, and, in my case, over $400 in repairs for my oven. So if pizza isn't worth that much to you, don't go down this path.

I'm not trying to discourage people from attempting this, but please, learn from my mistakes, and be safe. Make sure you hands are BONE DRY when you're moving pizzas in and out of the oven (I ended up buying a commercial pizza peel with a 3 foot handle for exactly this reason); a drop of water on your hands that you just washed to form a new pizza WILL drop onto the glass door of your open oven and cause tiny glass shards to explode all over your kitchen! Wear eye protection! I wear nearly a full welder's suit at this point. That oven is hot and you aren't going to want to stand in front of it too long, which will cause you to hurry things and make mistakes which can blow things up in a really horrible way. Take your time! Make sure that pizza isn't sticking to your peel (hint: use a LOT of flour for dusting and forming, your dough should be extra hydrated for exactly this reason) BEFORE you move to the oven!

Also, I would advice you to not drink during pizza cookery. But as James May put it once, "I don't really know what I'm talking about, to be honest, usually by the time I get this far, I'm so drunk, I can't remember what I've done."

Q: "James, do you always drink like this when you're cooking?"

A: "It dulls the horror of the food that I'm going to eat later on, you see."

forbidden dialectics fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 21, 2012

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I own, so hacking the oven is cool. Check on the extinguisher. The glass door thing is a great point and has sufficiently scared me off :)

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Nostrum posted:

Yes, there is. Bake at 800+ degrees with a 65-70% hydration dough.

I was hoping you wouldn't say that. I'm not sure that I want to clip the latch like some of you guys are doing. The stretchability for an ultra-thin crust was probably due to the fact that my dough hydration was higher than normal, but then, It took much longer for the crust to brown because of that, making it even more cracker like.

I'll probably just make some regular NY-style thickness pies if I want some chew.

Thanks though!

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Mach420 posted:

I was hoping you wouldn't say that. I'm not sure that I want to clip the latch like some of you guys are doing. The stretchability for an ultra-thin crust was probably due to the fact that my dough hydration was higher than normal, but then, It took much longer for the crust to brown because of that, making it even more cracker like.

I'll probably just make some regular NY-style thickness pies if I want some chew.

Thanks though!

I make extra thin crust pizzas in a 550f max oven, and I'm generally pretty happy with how it turns out. A couple tips that help me:

-Knead a lot. Like a lot a lot. If you under-knead, the dough won't be stretchy enough and will tear when you try to stretch it that thin. I use a stand mixer because I am lazy.

-After you form and (optionally) toss the crust and it's the thickness you want, just lay it down on your floured peel and just let it sit for 10-15 minutes. This lets the gluten relax, and will give you a chewier crust instead of one that is brittle and cracks.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nostrum posted:

First of all, if you live in an apartment (and you rent)- it's not your oven, it's not your building. Don't mess with it! Having said that, ...

The risk of fire is basically zero. If your oven has a self-clean cycle, it was designed to withstand those types of heat. I've "forgotten" (i.e. imbibed considerable quantities of booze) about pizzas in there and they smolder and smoke WAY before they catch on fire. You do have a fire extinguisher in your kitchen, anyways, RIGHT?

Also, I would advice you to not drink during pizza cookery. But as James May put it once, "I don't really know what I'm talking about, to be honest, usually by the time I get this far, I'm so drunk, I can't remember what I've done."

Funny you should mention memory loss, because I found this.

Someone on a baking forum posted:

Over the last year, I have been experiencing severe memory loss. As I have been searching for answers for why this is happening or what could have cause this digression to occur, I am looking at some of the more toxic products I have been using in my daily life. One product that I have always wondered about is, my trusty Fibrament cooking stone. The smell it gave off on it's initial warming gave me a headache so bad I threw up. I am having a chemist friend of mine that works at the nearby university take a look at my stone. I am seriously concerned about this product. The company gives no indication or explanation of how the toxic smell is formed. It leaves room to wonder what is in this product. I find it hard to believe the composition of this product is so sacred that even the smell cannot be explained without the divulging the secret recipe of this stone's makeup. Any input would be much appreciated.

It's true! It's true!

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Jmcrofts posted:

I make extra thin crust pizzas in a 550f max oven, and I'm generally pretty happy with how it turns out. A couple tips that help me:

-Knead a lot. Like a lot a lot. If you under-knead, the dough won't be stretchy enough and will tear when you try to stretch it that thin. I use a stand mixer because I am lazy.

-After you form and (optionally) toss the crust and it's the thickness you want, just lay it down on your floured peel and just let it sit for 10-15 minutes. This lets the gluten relax, and will give you a chewier crust instead of one that is brittle and cracks.

I will try that after I finish all the Thanksgiving leftovers and make more pizza. The part about letting the gluten relax makes sense for a thin crust.

I'll also let the stone preheat longer too. I think that I messed that up because last time, I heated the stone up in stages to let moisture escape (first pizzas for a few months) and I was rushing the 550F stage because the dough was already getting overrisen by that point. It took a long long time for the crust to brown, and that didn't help the cracker crust issue at all.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Semprini posted:

Exactly! All true pizza aficionados know the correct shape is a trapezium.

Eh, whenever I make homemade pizza the shape is more accurately described as "amorphous blob". That said, they taste good, so I can't complain too much.

Nebula
Dec 30, 2004

Jedit posted:

Funny you should mention memory loss, because I found this.

It's true! It's true!

You can find what is in Fibrament by looking at the patent documents.

Fibrament Patent posted:

1. Type I low alkali portland cement--about 54%;

2. Mortar or mason sand--about 37%;

3. Nippon Electric Alkali Resistant Glass Fiber (ARGF) chopped strands 1/2" in length--about 2.2%;

4. Tap water--about 6.5%; and

5. Rheobuild 1,000 Super Plasticizer--about 0.34%.

The process for manufacturing the improved baking stones is as follows. First, the cement, mortar or sand, and water are mixed for one minute in a high speed disperser at approximately 1,100 rpm. Suitable dispersers include the DK51, DK101 and DK102 mixing systems sold by Shar Inc. of Ft. Wayne, Ind. Alternative systems are found in the VHS300 and VHS400 variable high speed dispersers sold by Schold Machine Company of Chicago, Ill. and St. Petersburg, Fla. After the cement, sand and water are mixed for one minute, the plasticizer is added and the mixture is blended for another thirty seconds. Then, the speed is reduced to about 600 rpms and the glass fibers are added to the batch. The fibers are mixed into the batch at the lower speed for approximately thirty seconds. Thus, the mixing process for 11/2".times.24".times.36" baking stone takes approximately two minutes.

I am not going to be rushing out to buy one, but I am happy with my kiln shelves.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

geetee posted:

Is cleaning cycle pizza worth risking burning down my apartment for?
Sure, you don't own the apartment building right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I made some Flammkuchen, which is basically the French/German variation of Pizza: http://imgur.com/a/fAvq9

The first photo turned out a bit badly but I've no idea what's wrong with it. Probably the blue background messing it up.

Sauce is creme fraiche and eggs, toppings are pancetta, leek and some Dutch cheese. I used a 50/50 spelt/wheat mix for the pastry but it's regular yeast dough.

I'll try baking it on a pizza stone next time; I usually just use it for making bread.