Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I just looked up the monkey and the crab and unless I'm missing something then it is undoubtedly the worst fable I have ever read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
That fable sounds incredible. It's the hero's journey, except there's sentient poo. :aaa:

Wikipedia posted:

Twentieth century Japanese novelist Ryunosuke Akutagawa wrote a short story based on the folktale in which, after avenging their mother's death by attacking the monkey, the crab children are arrested and face the death penalty.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I just finished watching the Battle Golfer Yui episode on the DVD, and uh, what? :psyduck: (spoiled for those who haven't seen it but those who have probably know what I'm gonna ask)

What the hell was that ending? Did Arino get a bad ending and just no one knew or something? That was literally "And everyone died. The end! No moral." :psyduck:

Silly Voodoo
Mar 31, 2011

There will be no clipping!

Ciaphas posted:

I just finished watching the Battle Golfer Yui episode on the DVD, and uh, what? :psyduck: (spoiled for those who haven't seen it but those who have probably know what I'm gonna ask)

What the hell was that ending? Did Arino get a bad ending and just no one knew or something? That was literally "And everyone died. The end! No moral." :psyduck:

I was wondering the same thing and it seems that the game does have more than one ending and Arino got the bad one. Which is weird, because you'd expect them to make Arino keep playing until he got the good one, and it was pretty clear that was a bad ending of some kind. ...Yeah, I don't get it either.

VVVV e: Well, drat. :psyduck:

Silly Voodoo fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 19, 2012

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Silly Voodoo posted:

I was wondering the same thing and it seems that the game does have more than one ending and Arino got the bad one. Which is weird, because you'd expect them to make Arino keep playing until he got the good one, and it was pretty clear that was a bad ending of some kind. ...Yeah, I don't get it either.
Given how batshit the game was. Maybe it just passed past them that there was more than one ending.

Any word on what that supposed good ending is?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
I've seen a lot of people here asking the same thing about Battle Golfer Yui. I J-Googled it a while back and found out that yes, that is the ending. There are two endings and both of them were shown in the episode. The "bad" ending is when he screwed up and played the flute instead of breaking it. The one the episode ended on is the true "good" ending, even though it ends with tragedy. It's just a weird game.

Spasman
Nov 9, 2009

now i'm a jerk and everybody loves me
That Super Mario World episode.

Uwaaaah.

I never actually cheered alone in my apartment like that before.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

Coot posted:

That Super Mario World episode.

Uwaaaah.

I never actually cheered alone in my apartment like that before.

Then you have not seen the Battle Toads episodes yet. if those do not get your heart pumping then you may seriously be dead.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So, calling back to the Famicom Converter conversation a few pages back, today I bombed through a few thrift stores, seeing what I could find, I thought I was king poo poo when I snagged a couple cartridges that looked promising only to get home and find I was a moron and had gotten the pinouts backwards in my head. When that conversation happened, I immediately ran to my current collection, to see if any matched, I found only one flat-head-screw black-label title, but it was a center-pin Gumshoe and I left it at that. Between then and now I apparently started thinking that center-pin meant converter and not the other way around. Welp.

e: On the other hand, I found cheap copies of MULE, Guerrilla War, Shadow of the Ninja and Goldeneye 007, so it wasn't all a loss.

ee: What about carts that have the correct (side) pinout but the wrong (three hex) screws?

hexwren fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 20, 2012

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Allen Wren posted:

So, calling back to the Famicom Converter conversation a few pages back, today I bombed through a few thrift stores, seeing what I could find, I thought I was king poo poo when I snagged a couple cartridges that looked promising only to get home and find I was a moron and had gotten the pinouts backwards in my head. When that conversation happened, I immediately ran to my current collection, to see if any matched, I found only one flat-head-screw black-label title, but it was a center-pin Gumshoe and I left it at that. Between then and now I apparently started thinking that center-pin meant converter and not the other way around. Welp.

e: On the other hand, I found cheap copies of MULE, Guerrilla War, Shadow of the Ninja and Goldeneye 007, so it wasn't all a loss.

ee: What about carts that have the correct (side) pinout but the wrong (three hex) screws?

May I direct your attention to our retro gaming thread where this discussion may be slightly more topical?

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Nipponophile posted:

*sigh* People these days, no respect for the classics...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfmvkO5x6Ng

...I meant modern duos. Really, I swear :smith:

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011
Thanks, Zari-Gani! I actually really enjoyed that. I guess it seems tough to squeeze anything funny out of retro video games anymore, but that was pretty amusing, if random as all hell sometimes. Though the ever present, mostly stone faced Arino in the corner silently judging everything was a bit disconcerting. Or maybe that was just me.

"What did you think of these merry fools, Lord Arino?"
"THEY SWAYETH TOO MUCH AND STAYETH TOO LITTLE!"
"Understood. We will take care of them."

Silentman0 posted:

There aren't a ton of modern double acts, that's true. You have your occasional Hard 'n Phirm or Flight of the Conchords, but most comedy duos these days are just in movies, Nick Frost & Simon Pegg and Will Ferrell & John C Reilley. Though, if we include them we need Wilder & Pryor and Belushi & Aykroyd and... Eh, fine, you're right.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I came back to the thread to admit that I've been giggling at "YOU LOSE" now and then for the past several days.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Erwin Tuwonwon posted:

There aren't a ton of modern double acts, that's true. You have your occasional Hard 'n Phirm or Flight of the Conchords, but most comedy duos these days are just in movies, Nick Frost & Simon Pegg and Will Ferrell & John C Reilley. Though, if we include them we need Wilder & Pryor and Belushi & Aykroyd and... Eh, fine, you're right.

I remember thinking a while ago that Japan seems to be stuck 80 years in the past in terms of comedy development. I think this is my first time seeing a big burst of manzai all at once, before most of what I've seen is Game Center, batsu games, and Beat Takeshi.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Erwin Tuwonwon posted:

Though the ever present, mostly stone faced Arino in the corner silently judging everything was a bit disconcerting. Or maybe that was just me.

Keep in mind he had stayed up all night and was getting really, really sleepy at that point. When he was "grabbing" Toujima I think he was deliriously tired and distracting from the fact that he couldn't think of much to say about the comedy acts.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Silentman0 posted:

I remember thinking a while ago that Japan seems to be stuck 80 years in the past in terms of comedy development. I think this is my first time seeing a big burst of manzai all at once, before most of what I've seen is Game Center, batsu games, and Beat Takeshi.

They love slapstick and word play so yea, a lot of it definitely seems behind the times to us.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Erwin Tuwonwon posted:

Thanks, Zari-Gani! I actually really enjoyed that. I guess it seems tough to squeeze anything funny out of retro video games anymore, but that was pretty amusing, if random as all hell sometimes. Though the ever present, mostly stone faced Arino in the corner silently judging everything was a bit disconcerting. Or maybe that was just me.

"What did you think of these merry fools, Lord Arino?"
"THEY SWAYETH TOO MUCH AND STAYETH TOO LITTLE!"
"Understood. We will take care of them."

Japanese comedians being comparable to jesters or clowns is pretty much the only way I can figure them out. Most of the ones I've seen only did cheesy gags, yelled catchphrases, or got dunked in tubs of boiling water. The comedians who stick around for years seem to be the ones who want to be more than goofs for people to laugh at.

Then things like dramas, movies, or even cartoons assuming competent actors and writers can pull out all kinds of subtle, brilliant or clever humor with precision timing. It's like the reverse of the west.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos
Oh God I just watched the Wings of Madoola episode last night, I don't think I've ever felt so bad for Arino before.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Silentman0 posted:

There are tons of double acts here in the UK, but they usually swap the funny man/straight man role a lot, or don't use it at all. Some of the most well known from the past few decades would be The Two Ronnies, Morecambe and Wise, Mitchell and Webb, Reeves and Mortimer, Fry and Laurie and Peter Cook and Dudley Moore, but there are a lot more.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Who wants a special sneek peek at the newest subbed episode! Well here ya go!

That might seem like nothing special to the layman, but heres the typical episode for comparison.

Oh goodness!

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Well, season 15 has both a text adventure and a quiz game.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Gutcruncher posted:

Who wants a special sneek peek at the newest subbed episode! Well here ya go!

That might seem like nothing special to the layman, but heres the typical episode for comparison.

Oh goodness!

Hm, I wonder what game would require ~5x the normal amount of a text.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
I have my personal bet. And if it is, it's going to be great. :3:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Are there any quiz games left? Please be a quiz game.

Olive Mohel
Nov 8, 2006

Life is more than a series of ones and zeroes.
I would guess RPG but I don't think there have been many of those as challenges.

Also, .rear end is the best file extension I've ever heard of.

orochi
Oct 9, 2012

/usr/bin/orochi
I guess the episode would have to either be longer than normal or involve a lot of text. If it's the latter then I'm thinking either a quiz or RPG. I see I'm not alone in thinking that.

Midboss posted:

I noticed that as well. I stared at the picture before reading anything and I thought it was some kind of joke involving the file extension. My mind is working slow today.

orochi fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 20, 2012

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Bets on Kosodate Quiz My Angel!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hey guys, there's something I want you to see over here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3518445 .

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
My guess is either Kosodate Quiz My Angel!, Famicom Detective Club, or Princess Tomato.

Raife
Feb 2, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Hey guys, there's something I want you to see over here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3518445 .

They look awesome. In for a t-shirt when I get home tonight. Thank you for all the crazy amounts of work you guys do to bring us GCCX.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Random Stranger posted:

A cool shirt.

The design is nice and I'll likely be ordering one when I can.

And now for something somewhat related to GCCX.

For anyone who remembers the USA special (which should be everyone in the thread :v:), you may remember that Arino visited two "arcades" in San Francisco. Musee Mechanique, and Southtown Arcade. Well, just today, it has been announced that Southtown Arcade will be closing their doors. Hopefully, not forever though.

A moment of silence for a cool little Bay Area arcade.

*silence*

...YOGAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

But at least there's still Game Center [South of San Francisco] and the Golflands in the Bay.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled posting, already in progress.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Volfogg posted:

The design is nice and I'll likely be ordering one when I can.

And now for something somewhat related to GCCX.

For anyone who remembers the USA special (which should be everyone in the thread :v:), you may remember that Arino visited two "arcades" in San Francisco. Musee Mechanique, and Southtown Arcade. Well, just today, it has been announced that Southtown Arcade will be closing their doors. Hopefully, not forever though.

A moment of silence for a cool little Bay Area arcade.

*silence*

...YOGAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

But at least there's still Game Center [South of San Francisco] and the Golflands in the Bay.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled posting, already in progress.
That sucks... I live a couple hours from the bay area and I was thinking about checking it, as well as the other places they went to including that game shop in Antioch, out if/when I was ever in the area (especially if I ever got a job up there and ended up moving so I could visit it every weekend or so). :smith:

Although, it does say "last day of operation at its current location", so I'm assuming that their lease is up and they will probably move to another place in the near future. :shobon:

Also, :smug: Arino is one of the best things ever.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This reminded me of this thread:

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Volfogg posted:

At first, I was like "what about Portal on top of the Metreon building?" But it turns out they're a Target now. Whenever my family headed out into the city we'd waste an hour or two there, it was great. My childhood :negative:

Man. At least the place in Great Mall is still running? They used to have this neat batch of Battlemech pod machines, I think they were. They were networked together for multiplayer, and it was awesome, but the last time I was there they were missing, so I guess they pulled the plug on 'em.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Obeast posted:

That sucks... I live a couple hours from the bay area and I was thinking about checking it, as well as the other places they went to including that game shop in Antioch, out if/when I was ever in the area (especially if I ever got a job up there and ended up moving so I could visit it every weekend or so). :smith:

Although, it does say "last day of operation at its current location", so I'm assuming that their lease is up and they will probably move to another place in the near future. :shobon:

Also, :smug: Arino is one of the best things ever.

Well, like I said, for small arcades in the Bay there's still Game Center which you should check out if you can. I really should go down there more than I have recently.

On the "last day at it's current location", they're probably not just moving to another space somewhere soonish. The lease IS part of it though (in that it expires at the end of the year), but mostly everything else.

And personally, I'm more fond of :mmmsmug: style moments, although, I can't think of any. Oh well.

Heatwizard posted:

At first, I was like "what about Portal on top of the Metreon building?" But it turns out they're a Target now. Whenever my family headed out into the city we'd waste an hour or two there, it was great. My childhood :negative:

Man. At least the place in Great Mall is still running? They used to have this neat batch of Battlemech pod machines, I think they were. They were networked together for multiplayer, and it was awesome, but the last time I was there they were missing, so I guess they pulled the plug on 'em.

The Metreon's been gone for quite a while. Sadly...kinda...I don't know how to feel about that place anymore aside from it having the original Playstation Store and none of this digital hoohaw you youngins are talkin' about! :corsair:

But by place in the Great Mall, if you mean Dave & Busters, yeah, it's still running. And going by the mention of the Battlemech pods (and the timeframe in general), I believe I'm right in my assumption. They did get rid of the Battlemech pods a while ago, but they still have Derby Owner's Club! :haw: But they do have something else towards the back near the Redemption Games and Redemption Hall. I forget what it was though.

Now, if you meant WONDERPARK, then no, it's BEEN gone. For even longer. My childhood :negative:

Volfogg fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Nov 21, 2012

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Volfogg posted:

And personally, I'm more fond of :mmmsmug: style moments, although, I can't think of any. Oh well.

Usually whenever he's defeating small children.

El-Bonko
Oct 9, 2012

Midboss posted:

Before I signed up for the forum, I was briefly confused about what the hell ".rear end" was supposed to mean.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Bocc Kob posted:

Usually whenever he's defeating small children.

Well in this next episode he isnt DEFEATING small children, but doing quite the opposite!

Will Arino's daddy skills be a match for Child Rearing Quiz: My Angel?! Another quiz episode translation by the great and powerful Zari-gani. No amount of words are a match for her!

Download torrent81 (1 files; 511.78 MB)
View torrent stats

http://depositfiles.com/files/f07vgqwie

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

I think this very well may be the most text-heavy episode ever, as demonstrated in the screenshot Gutcruncher posted earlier. But it's one of my very favourites. (To watch.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

YEEEEESH! Quiz episodes are the freakin best, and this game's concept is nice and weird, to boot.