Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

The total lack of wieners must never be understated!
If this at some point becomes integrated with swapnote Doug D's heads gonna splode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Gendo posted:

I think people should worry less about their dumb kids hearing naughty words.

It's more of a quality thing. If you want to see the magic of the invisible hand in the form of an unmoderated pile of manchildren, just go to reddit dot com!

I have stared into the abyss, it has stared back, and now I cower in the corner clutching my Wii U gamepad clicking "Yeah!" on fan sketches of Nintendo characters.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
I changed it, it's not a big deal. If they really do go with the cleansing fire approach, that's fine, it's their right to do so.

That said, I took a stroll through the Ninja Gaiden community and it's full of in game pics of decapitations, etc. By the letter of Nintendo's own policy, those are against the code of conduct. Are in-game pics of violent conduct against the code? I don't really know, but if you wanted to take it to the logical conclusion, Mario stomping on heads would be too.

If nothing else, it'll be interesting to see how it develops. God forbid GTA5 actually ends up on it.

Shadowfyst
Jun 8, 2003

I'm really digging the internet browser. The way it does youtube videos is quite nice. I've been putting them on the t.v. while browsing on the gamepad. I have a feeling this will pretty much replace my laptop.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah the browser works way better then I was figuring. Most websites work great too, with the only site I not being able to use is Twitch.tv. Youtube probably works better then the offical app when it gets supported, as it actually shows the age restricted videos (which the app on the PS3 and 360 will never display these videos even if you turn off this feature).

Also it's only subtle, but it does look like Wii games do look a bit crispier on the Wii U. Probably because it outputting at 720P instead of 480P, but it doesn't look as blurry.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Underwhelmed posted:

Yes you will eventually win the war of attrition, there will be one extra due to your shambling corpse, but there can only be one of those at a time. Just keep keepin on.

One tip: crawling zombis can be one-shot killed. Try and lead them to that crawl space, and smash them as they follow you through.

I think I died three or four times here. At least it's something that you eventually pass. I tried to do the crawl space thing but I got flanked. Then eaten.

I'm also the dumbest person playing this game. It wasn't until tonight that I realized you can use the right analog stick to move the scanner around when in scan mode. :downs:

Great game, the last time I was this on edge playing a game was Silent Hill. It's definitely a game I can only play for an hour or so at a time before my nerves start fraying.

Not ZombiU related: just want to say that the music in Nintendo Land is amazing. I mean, this whole game is amazing but the music is something else. Love the music when it speeds up in the Animal Crossing game. :3:

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

shoplifter posted:

I changed it, it's not a big deal. If they really do go with the cleansing fire approach, that's fine, it's their right to do so.

That said, I took a stroll through the Ninja Gaiden community and it's full of in game pics of decapitations, etc. By the letter of Nintendo's own policy, those are against the code of conduct. Are in-game pics of violent conduct against the code? I don't really know, but if you wanted to take it to the logical conclusion, Mario stomping on heads would be too.

If nothing else, it'll be interesting to see how it develops. God forbid GTA5 actually ends up on it.

Games have ESRB ratings though, and if you set the parental controls to restrict say M rated games, you will not see posts from any M rated game communites, thus no M rated in game content. Now it would make sense if posting in those games would likewise be granted M level content in the body of the comment, but that would be a lot more difficult to enforce than a blanket "rated G" level.

My guess is that in game screen shots will be regulated on some level as well. Creative camera placement to say, take panty shots of Peach would probably be considered in violation for example.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

shoplifter posted:

Complete shot in the dark, but maybe they're letting that stuff fly on a per game basis. M rated game, so a little more leniency in that community? Though everyone can access it, so who knows.

It's still early days, so it'll be interesting how it all shakes out.

Static Rook fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 21, 2012

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

https://twitter.com/crediar/status/271067104155951104

quote:

The WiiMode keys are ours!

implications: possible Wii mode backup launchers in the future??

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I wish we could save Miiverse drawings so, so, so bad. I would fill all 32 gigs with them.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Has there been any word on the hardlocking issue from Nintendo? I thought it might be a small, vocal population, but I even saw it happen on Giantbomb's stream from Sunday. Seems like it's happening quite a bit.

I'm still not convinced the Wii U is a good move on Nintendo's part, nor do I have reason to believe it is going to be able to compete after the new consoles come out, and publishers begin putting their B teams to make unique ports of games. But I'm still getting one with my tax return in a few months. Then again, I'm not the average video game consumer as I've had every major console release since the 16 bit age (if you count the two hours I owned a broken Saturn).

I'm interested enough in Mario Wii U (side-scrolling Mario games are my favorite from the series), Scribblenauts Unlimited (which I may end up buying on Steam before) and ZombiU. Outside of that, I guess if you're not into Pikmin or Monster Hunter like I'm not, the biggest announced releases of 2013 would be Rayman and Aliens, right? Anything else confirmed for next year that's crazy amazing?

Bar Mitzvah
Feb 24, 2009
Went to Target today after calling (and being told they had 28 units in stock). I get to the register, have them pull my games and start looking for the Deluxe console only to see some dude with a cart FULL of deluxe systems next to me. Zero games, just consoles.

All they had left were 20 standard consoles.

I asked them why they don't limit people like him from buying that many - she shrugged. There were 3 people in line (mostly kids with their parents), who left empty handed because of this scummy piece of poo poo.

gently caress.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Bar Mitzvah posted:

Went to Target today after calling (and being told they had 28 units in stock). I get to the register, have them pull my games and start looking for the Deluxe console only to see some dude with a cart FULL of deluxe systems next to me. Zero games, just consoles.

I asked them why they don't limit people like him from buying that many - she shrugged. There were 3 people in line (mostly kids with their parents), who left empty handed because of this scummy piece of poo poo.

gently caress.
Back to fat wallet for high fives and to celebrate ruining Christmas for a bunch of kids!

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Bar Mitzvah posted:

gently caress.

Did he have like green fur and a weird smirk?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Did he have like green fur and a weird smirk?

I think the real question here is how fat was he and was his face a giant zit?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Soul Glo posted:

Has there been any word on the hardlocking issue from Nintendo? I thought it might be a small, vocal population, but I even saw it happen on Giantbomb's stream from Sunday. Seems like it's happening quite a bit.

I'm still not convinced the Wii U is a good move on Nintendo's part, nor do I have reason to believe it is going to be able to compete after the new consoles come out, and publishers begin putting their B teams to make unique ports of games. But I'm still getting one with my tax return in a few months. Then again, I'm not the average video game consumer as I've had every major console release since the 16 bit age (if you count the two hours I owned a broken Saturn).

I'm interested enough in Mario Wii U (side-scrolling Mario games are my favorite from the series), Scribblenauts Unlimited (which I may end up buying on Steam before) and ZombiU. Outside of that, I guess if you're not into Pikmin or Monster Hunter like I'm not, the biggest announced releases of 2013 would be Rayman and Aliens, right? Anything else confirmed for next year that's crazy amazing?

Nintendo has been very particular about only announcing games that will be out for the launch window, ie between now and the end of March, as a response to the 3DS launch where they announced a bunch of crap that took months and even years to arrive. I doubt we are going to get any big first-party software announcements until after Xmas at the earliest.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bar Mitzvah posted:

gently caress.
Someone got ioburned.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Skunk Ape posted:

I wish we could save Miiverse drawings so, so, so bad. I would fill all 32 gigs with them.

Seriously. Or at least let us take screenshots of the gamepad's screen. Some of the artists on display are absolutely fantastical and it boggles the mind what they can do with a little capacitive touchscreen.

Bar Mitzvah
Feb 24, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

I think the real question here is how fat was he and was his face a giant zit?

He was slightly skinnier than the dude in Borat (his sidekick). His son was there too (25+ years old), and they were taking up two registers to process the transactions.

I'm just going to wait for it to go back in stock on Wal Mart's site. Might check a store tomorrow, but this was just soul crushing (as soul crushing as not being able to buy a video game can be).

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch
FYI, to whoever suggested goonrushing the WackyFarmz fan page or whatever and setting our flag, destructoid.com has essentially done this to the Rabbid U page, along with... quite a bit of Willem DaFoe fanart.

Quite.

A.

Bit.

Man-Thing fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Nov 21, 2012

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Has anyone tried the Brazil and Canada e-shops? Are the Deluxe 10% promos valid there? I live in the Philippines and I expect that when the Wii U arrives, I'll not be able to use the US shop, so I'd need to set my system to Brazil or Canada. Sadly, that also means I can't register them with Club Nintendo. :(

I'm still waiting for the system to arrive in stores here, but I'm worried that the price will be marked up the same way the 360 was marked up to $2000 at launch.

absolutely anything posted:

Videos in general work real nice in the browser. I love how you can slide them up on the gamepad so you can keep browsing while they play on the TV.

Silly question, but has anyone tried watching Coursera lecture videos on the Wii U? It would be awesome if I could watch academic lectures on my TV instead of having to sit at my desktop.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Soul Glo posted:

Here is a post from our beloved Reddit that claims a patch is coming in the next week or so: http://www.reddit.com/r/wiiu/comments/13j96l/just_got_off_the_phone_with_nintendo_tech_support/

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Shadowgate posted:

Here is a post from our beloved Reddit that claims a patch is coming in the next week or so: http://www.reddit.com/r/wiiu/comments/13j96l/just_got_off_the_phone_with_nintendo_tech_support/

That'd be nice if it were a software issue. I had assumed it was hardware since some people in this thread said their consoles stopped working altogether after some hardlocks.

Of course, that post could be a lie for some weird reason, but eh. Surely by the time I'm ready to blow my tax return in February (early, but that's when I got it this year), we'll have a decent idea of the scope of hardware failures.

Thanks.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Soul Glo posted:

That'd be nice if it were a software issue. I had assumed it was hardware since some people in this thread said their consoles stopped working altogether after some hardlocks.

Of course, that post could be a lie for some weird reason, but eh. Surely by the time I'm ready to blow my tax return in February (early, but that's when I got it this year), we'll have a decent idea of the scope of hardware failures.

Thanks.

It appears to be software. I was getting a crash every 20-45 minutes in Nintendo Land and someone suggested changing the language to English only. After I made that change I haven't had a crash yet, so there definitely seems to be something strange going on.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

The Miiverse is so cool, it really is hard to explain to people that don't have a Wii U how fun it is to be a part of. I really hope Nintendo realizes the potential it has and continues to expand it.

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001
My Wii U seems to be dead out of the box. Blinking blue light on the console and it won't output to the TV. I really don't want to wait to ship it to Nintendo for repair so what are my odds that Target will exchange it for me? The guy told me there were several more in the back room so assuming supply isn't an issue.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Unoriginal posted:

The guy told me there were several more in the back room so assuming supply isn't an issue.
that sure isn't the case around here. Weird.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

loudog999 posted:

The Miiverse is so cool, it really is hard to explain to people that don't have a Wii U how fun it is to be a part of. I really hope Nintendo realizes the potential it has and continues to expand it.

One of my biggest hopes for the Miiverse is adding group/clan/user communities. It would be awesome to have some sort of outside group that would carry over into all online games that support it instead of having to do a guild for each seperate game

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001

Gendo posted:

that sure isn't the case around here. Weird.

I've seen at least the white ones at every store I've been to around here the last couple of days and this isn't the first black one I'd found. It was just the first one we decided to buy. Maybe they won't have any if I go back tomorrow, but I figure it's worth a try. I really don't want to have to wait a week or more for a replacement through Nintendo.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I am sorry if this has been asked a hundred times before, but is Black Ops not going to be available from the eshop? I would have bought it long ago if it was.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

loudog999 posted:

I am sorry if this has been asked a hundred times before, but is Black Ops not going to be available from the eshop? I would have bought it long ago if it was.

So far it isn't and while I'm sure many will attempt to blame Nintendo, that's on Activision.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Can anyone confirm/deny whether you can use Premium points to buy WiiWare/VC games? There have been conflicting reports on that, so I'm wondering if people were mistranslating something, or whatever.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

I think it was just one guy who said that, and his issue was different to begin with from the standard "Nintendoland sometimes freezes" thing.

No crashes after I changed visitors to English only, but I only ever had one crash before I did that so it's not the most robust data sample.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Can anyone confirm/deny whether you can use Premium points to buy WiiWare/VC games? There have been conflicting reports on that, so I'm wondering if people were mistranslating something, or whatever.
There's no news article about it anywhere. Someone must have gotten mixed up.

Certainly I would expect Club Nintendo to add Wii U titles to their rewards page (a year from now), but I seriously doubt you'll be able to convert coins into eShop currency.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Did anyone use videochat yet? How is it?
And did anyone call OctoG123 for help yet?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Quest For Glory II posted:

Certainly I would expect Club Nintendo to add Wii U titles to their rewards page (a year from now), but I seriously doubt you'll be able to convert coins into eShop currency.

He's talking about the digital download promotion, which comes with the Premium console, the EU name for the Deluxe console.

The answer is no, you can't use eShop cdit on the Wii Shop Channel or Nintendo Points on the eShop, they're two different storefronts separated by the internal hardware they run on. There's probably confusion because in the promotion you have to convert your eShop credit from "points" that you accumulate from digital purchases. You can't do this until you get $5 worth.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I wasn't talking about Club Nintendo, I was talking about the points you get when you buy digital games on a Premium console. The last Nintendo Direct with Iwata allegedly said you'd be able to spend your Premium points on all Wii U/3DS eShop, Wii Shopping Channel and DSi Shop Channel games, but I haven't seen any mention of that on the NOA website or anywhere else, and I don't own a Wii U so I can't confirm/deny for myself.

EDIT: the video in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6q8sNhm4uM

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Nov 21, 2012

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Oh ok. Someone earlier in the thread said they saw that you could use your Club Nintendo coins to purchase Wii U eShop titles (HIGHLY UNLIKELY), and that's what I thought you were bringing up.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nah, sorry for the confusion.

As it turns out, the promotion doesn't actually start until December, so there's no way to test it out anyway. Oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I find it very amusing that South Africa has Club Nintendo, but Austria doesn't.

drat you high and mighty Club sheeple! :argh:

• Locked thread