Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Anyone else notice after upgrading to 4.2 that their tablet takes longer to respond to smartcase closing?

Sleeping and waking up just take longer in general now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

ThermoPhysical posted:

e: The video's been made private. Anyone have a mirror?

Guess it was a premature upload. Doesn't look like any blogs noticed in the short time it was up, so doubtful.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
Just got my Nexus 10, this is one super sweet device. Screen resolution is absolutely insane.

Edit: insane not inane.

buttchugging adderall fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 20, 2012

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
What makes it silly?

j/k, I know what you meant.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Vagrancy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7jemPb4QQc

Hell froze Skype just announced a tablet optimized layout for Android.

Videos back, and its live on Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.skype.raider

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

My guess is Microsoft is doing this to prepare to drop MSN/WLM next year.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Edit: I can't imgur.
Try again:

This isn't right. I had it on for 15 minutes this morning & the same at lunch.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 20, 2012

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

Can you talk to MSN contacts on Skype yet?

edit: I guess you can.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

illicitporpoises posted:

An addition to this is that once you merge Skype and MSN, you can never unmerge then. I'd be careful if you have someone that uses both Skype and MSN and maybe ask them which one they'd prefer (not that it'll matter soon anyway).

Microsoft still hasn't figured out how to differentiate between Skype and MSN if you have it show all contacts instead of just one or the other. One of the things that drives me nuts about Windows 8 and Skype...

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

illicitporpoises posted:

Yes, but you have to log in with your Microsoft account after merging. Logging in with your skype account will only give you your skype contacts.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Konjuro posted:

Yes, but you have to log in with your Microsoft account after merging. Logging in with your skype account will only give you your skype contacts.

Actually, once you merge your accounts, logging in with your Skype account will still show your MSN contacts. It seems that they both log into the same account, just different credentials.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Anyone else having trouble using bluetooth to tether a Nexus 7 to a phone after taking the 4.2 update? The tablet says it's "connected" but the phone isn't registering anything. I could've sworn this worked before the update, but I'm going to try to revert to be sure. Phone's running 4.0.4.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Is there a way to change the alarm sound for the new clock's built-in countdown timer?
It seems to be hard-wired to this terrible beep and I don't see any option to change it.
Maybe there's a long press somewhere I did not think off, who knows...

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

ThermoPhysical posted:

Actually, once you merge your accounts, logging in with your Skype account will still show your MSN contacts. It seems that they both log into the same account, just different credentials.

It doesn't for me. :shrug:
It does for the PC client, but on android I can't seem to access my msn contacts if I log in using my skype account.

Edit: Clearing data and re-installing seems to have fixed it.

Squatch Ambassador fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 20, 2012

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

kitten smoothie posted:

Anyone else having trouble using bluetooth to tether a Nexus 7 to a phone after taking the 4.2 update? The tablet says it's "connected" but the phone isn't registering anything. I could've sworn this worked before the update, but I'm going to try to revert to be sure. Phone's running 4.0.4.

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=39637&q=bluetooth&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Owner%20Summary%20Stars

Google and Broadcom jointly rewrote the entire Bluetooth stack from the ground up so there's some funkiness at the moment.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Any suggestions for Nexus 7 sleeves/pouches? I've found that the case I've tried with a cover flap and a wakey-wakey magnet is a little too bulky - I've never actually stood the thing up using the stand at all, and worst-case scenario I'm only going to throw the thing in a backpack or something.

I've had a casual browse around Amazon, and a lot of people seem to be reporting that sellers - whether seedy or just mis-informed - are listing Kindle pouches as N7-sized, when in fact they're slightly too small for the N7. Can you guys recommend anything?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Vagrancy posted:

Google and Broadcom jointly rewrote the entire Bluetooth stack from the ground up so there's some funkiness at the moment.

"Some" is an understatement. "Not really loving working under most circumstances" is more apt.

The bluetooth changes were in no way release ready and should have never passed any testing at all.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Vagrancy posted:

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=39637&q=bluetooth&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Owner%20Summary%20Stars

You're kidding. Ugh. Alright, time to revert this thing back to 4.1 and pretend this update never happened.

They really should just switch to annual update cycles at I/O and not try to get stuff rushed out the door every six months, so that they don't do dumb things like this.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

kitten smoothie posted:

You're kidding. Ugh. Alright, time to revert this thing back to 4.1 and pretend this update never happened.

They really should just switch to annual update cycles at I/O and not try to get stuff rushed out the door every six months, so that they don't do dumb things like this.

It's not the release frequency that is the problem. They could easily do 6 month update frequency and just do less per update.

That being said, I'm pretty sure I recall them saying they'll be going to a slower update schedule soon.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Oh yeah, that's something I noticed today. BT stereo from my N7 sounds like complete poo poo. Loaded all my music on my phone instead.

Ugh.

Manny Calavera
Apr 2, 2004

From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go;
Thus evermore shall rise to Thee
Glad hymns of praise from land and sea
Nexus 10 is back in stock in the US, for those interested. UK they're taking pre-orders to ship in a fortnight.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

bull3964 posted:

"Some" is an understatement. "Not really loving working under most circumstances" is more apt.

The bluetooth changes were in no way release ready and should have never passed any testing at all.

For me Bluetooth is working better than it did in the previous version. On my old gnex after about a day or two Bluetooth would just stop working for music and the only way to fix it was to restart the phone. I haven't had that problem yet on 4.2

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

I'm glad the UI is finally designed for a tablet but it's landscape only? I have a Nexus 7 Y.Y

edit: Yea, I would suggest that Nexus 7 owners DO NOT UPDATE Skype because it only works in Landscape mode which stinks on any 7" 16:9 device.

feigning interest fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 21, 2012

Sideshow Raheem
Oct 28, 2010
So my 20 day old Nexus 7 is stuck on the nexus 'X' boot screen when switched on. I'm new to android; am I missing an easy fix here or should I start the returns procedure? :(

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

feigning interest posted:

I'm glad the UI is finally designed for a tablet but it's landscape only? I have a Nexus 7 Y.Y

edit: Yea, I would suggest that Nexus 7 owners DO NOT UPDATE Skype because it only works in Landscape mode which stinks on any 7" 16:9 device.

Eventually, you'll have to because they'll eventually only accept the Microsoft Acount for Skype.

Not sure if the old Skype app allows it.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
Yeah, I'm hoping Skype will push a fix soon. Just read all of the 1-star reviews from Nexus 7 owners.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

feigning interest posted:

Yeah, I'm hoping Skype will push a fix soon. Just read all of the 1-star reviews from Nexus 7 owners.

My guess is that they only used 10" tablets as reference devices and not 7".

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Is there any way I can recover anything from my Transformer Prime if the screen does not function at all?

Short explanation: My cracked the glass of my tablet, you can check my posts. My mom took it to a repair shop in Atlanta to get it fixed for me. They refused her calls after a day of when we were supposed to have been able to pick it up. On the 15th he said he had shipped it to us and would have the tracking information. On the 19th we received Fedex tracking information. Fedex said it was 1-Day shipped on the 19th, clearly not the 15th when he said he shipped it.

Out of the box from Fedex, the new glass was not properly installed or glued to the frame. The frame was chipped. The case was bent and dinged where he tried to remove the screen. Finally, the LCD screen is completely non-functional.

I tried using DroidExplorer to try and get stuff from the tablet, but apparently USB debugging was disable or not enabled at all. As it doesn't see the device. I don't have any personal information or sensitive or important information on it, but I do have a few dozen apps that I would like to save data for.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

SlayVus posted:

Is there any way I can recover anything from my Transformer Prime if the screen does not function at all?

Short explanation: My cracked the glass of my tablet, you can check my posts. My mom took it to a repair shop in Atlanta to get it fixed for me. They refused her calls after a day of when we were supposed to have been able to pick it up. On the 15th he said he had shipped it to us and would have the tracking information. On the 19th we received Fedex tracking information. Fedex said it was 1-Day shipped on the 19th, clearly not the 15th when he said he shipped it.

Out of the box from Fedex, the new glass was not properly installed or glued to the frame. The frame was chipped. The case was bent and dinged where he tried to remove the screen. Finally, the LCD screen is completely non-functional.

I tried using DroidExplorer to try and get stuff from the tablet, but apparently USB debugging was disable or not enabled at all. As it doesn't see the device. I don't have any personal information or sensitive or important information on it, but I do have a few dozen apps that I would like to save data for.

Have you tried the unlocking motion or pattern? The digitizer might work, while the LCD is hosed. This happened when I bought an incredible with cracked glass - I eventually bought a new lcd and it worked fine. I tore the lcd cable, but the digitizer was okay.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Alarbus posted:

Have you tried the unlocking motion or pattern? The digitizer might work, while the LCD is hosed. This happened when I bought an incredible with cracked glass - I eventually bought a new lcd and it worked fine. I tore the lcd cable, but the digitizer was okay.

The screen is non-functional as in nothing shows on the screen. The backlight is the only part of the screen that works.

BabyJesus
Nov 13, 2002
Has the awful android app crashing as soon as a sub forum is loaded in 4.2 been covered? Went back 3 pages or so and didn't see anything. Blah

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

BabyJesus posted:

Has the awful android app crashing as soon as a sub forum is loaded in 4.2 been covered? Went back 3 pages or so and didn't see anything. Blah

?

I've been cruising the forum all night with Awful on my Nexus 7. Nary a crash. All my bookmarks work and picking a sub forum from the main page works too. Try reinstalling.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Nexus 10 coming tomorrow. Someone please comfort me in my choice over that similar Asus. My main gripe is the lack of an SD slot, but I don't have much data and can always use a micro usb to usb adapter if travelling.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

geetee posted:

Nexus 10 coming tomorrow. Someone please comfort me in my choice over that similar Asus. My main gripe is the lack of an SD slot, but I don't have much data and can always use a micro usb to usb adapter if travelling.

Mine came today. Its fantastic, don't fret too much.

Duke Jeffrie
Apr 29, 2010

Duke Jeffrie posted:

I still haven't gotten a response from them about the shady business with the tracking information.

Just to post the conclusion to my Treegloo adventure. They told me the 12 day delay between "electronic shipping info received" and the package actually being scanned at a USPS location was purely USPS being slow, not Treegloo sneakily providing tracking info without shipping on time. Despite other people reporting the same problem, I have no proof beyond it feeling highly suspicious, and I did receive my case, so that's the end of my frustrating saga.

Moving along! What's the current story with the Nexus 7 screen-lifting business? I noticed mine starting to lift a couple of weeks ago, and it didn't really bother me at first, but I've noticed it seems to have worsened. I don't want to agonise over it, but since it has gotten worse I figure I may as well seek exchange/repair while I'm within warranty. My question is, was the screen-lift indeed an early-batch issue as people were originally speculating, or is it just an unfortunate flaw in the design and it is to be expected across all batches?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Speaking of cases, any recommendations for the N7? I like the look of the Dodo cases but I'm not sure it's worth the 35+15 shipped.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Just pulled the trigger on an Asus TF300T Transformer Pad 10.1 16GB for $300 refurbed, with the keyboard dock.

Anyone have any experiences they'd like to share with this? Looking forward to playing around with it, and replacing my original Kindle Fire. So this will be my first vanilla Android tablet (or any device).

I wonder how much the original Fire will end up fetching when I sell it, being obsoleted every day.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Duke Jeffrie posted:

What's the current story with the Nexus 7 screen-lifting business? I noticed mine starting to lift a couple of weeks ago, and it didn't really bother me at first, but I've noticed it seems to have worsened. I don't want to agonise over it, but since it has gotten worse I figure I may as well seek exchange/repair while I'm within warranty. My question is, was the screen-lift indeed an early-batch issue as people were originally speculating, or is it just an unfortunate flaw in the design and it is to be expected across all batches?
Newer batches have some fairly obvious changes to the screws and padding under the back cover and have generally not suffered from this problem. I expect some people still have because, you know, poo poo happens, but they definitely seem to have made a good effort to resolve it.

I'm just about to RMA mine too.

RiftInducer
Feb 21, 2010

Michael Scott posted:

Just pulled the trigger on an Asus TF300T Transformer Pad 10.1 16GB for $300 refurbed, with the keyboard dock.

Anyone have any experiences they'd like to share with this? Looking forward to playing around with it, and replacing my original Kindle Fire. So this will be my first vanilla Android tablet (or any device).

I wonder how much the original Fire will end up fetching when I sell it, being obsoleted every day.

Mine is quite brilliant, frankly. Its not really vanilla, but its very close and frankly the very minor changes they made make a lot of sense, like the system bar lock. Battery life is good, screen is nice, performs very well with Jelly Bean. Only complaint from my 3 or 4 months of owning mine is its a bit top heavy when in the dock, so on an uneven surface it can tip back when you have the screen beyond straight up. That and the Jelly Bean update was a bit sluggish when I first got it, but a backup and factory reset fixed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

SlayVus posted:

The screen is non-functional as in nothing shows on the screen. The backlight is the only part of the screen that works.

Screens are made of two pieces, an LCD and a digitizer. Both could be malfunctioning, but I was hoping for your sake that it's just the LCD. If that were the case, when the backlight comes on, pretend the LCD works and unlock it even though you can't see anything. If the digitizer works, it'll unlock the tablet and you'll be able to access the storage without seeing the display. This is easier if it's just drag-to-unlock, since entering a pin or pattern is harder without the display as a reference.

Option two is to boot into recovery, and use ADB to copy information off. I think they added the ability to use ADB backup, but I'm fuzzy on the details.