Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

MrBims posted:

Breakfast of Champions? Andrew Hussie probably learned everything he knows about fictional writing from Kurt Vonnegut.

I was going to say exactly this, Vonnegut's been my favorite author for years and Hussie is basically him with more Nic Cage references.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

and the Yellow Yard in which he influences the story hasn't actually happened yet.

Karkat called it the Yellow Lawn Ring.

:getin:

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Well, hey, whaddya know. The clown won't die.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
These convos had me lollin' pretty hard. This is a different person talking to him than yellow hussie, right?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Well Gamzee is no longer the Most important character in Homestuck anymore. But he's still pretty important.

Also I'm pretty sure that Gamzee is not 99.995% confirmed to be not god tier. Unless there is a lovely twist coming.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

For a moment I felt bad for Gamzee. But then it passed.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Ok, theory time:

So Hussie/Narrator mentioned that Caliborn can change his text color among other things by activating various monitors on the the tower. Right?

Little fucker is gonna turn them all on.

Get his Cairo Overcoat.

Billiard ball eyes.

And hulk out.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS
I would understand these sequences a lot more if I understood what Hussie is in the story. Like, we know he's the author. But, are the worlds being created because he's authoring them? Or were they always there, and he's just relating a story?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Oh, Caliborn. Your aggressive problem-solving paradigm is an inspiration to us all.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
I like how the dialogue on that last page was right there before the flash loaded, not hidden behind a button to avoid spoiling it or anything, because there was no way whatsoever Caliborn wasn't going to start shooting again.

...also, the text suggests Gamzee still isn't dead after that. Eventually there's going to be more bullet hole than torso there. It looks like the threat of music will be delaying that for a while, though.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
God drat it. Why won't that creepy fucker just do us all a favor and die already.

Clowns. Ugh. :mad:

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Judging from this, I'm pretty sure that cherubs are the Mirthful Messiahs.

When you think about Gamzee's split personalities and honk faces, there's a duality that mirrors Caliborn and Calliope. The soft spoken lowercase, the screaming all caps. The smiling clown face, the frowning clown face.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

This is the first update to make me like Gamzee. He's still smiling, bless his rotten little heart.

TC: i tHiNk yOu aNd i aRe dEsTiNeD To dO ThIs fOrEvEr :o)

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Clowns; they're mysterious, you can't kill them, and every time you shoot them, the elevator music plays. Speaking of which, is Caliborn hearing the music through the tower/computer, or what?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
He's hearing the music directly inside his own brain.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Caliborn is reading a lot like Karkat right now, text colour and all.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

WAR FOOT posted:

Caliborn is reading a lot like Karkat right now, text colour and all.

The worst of Karkat. A Karkat who doesn't give a poo poo about helping people and getting his team through everything. A Karkat who has only just realised that perhaps his decisions are not 100% perfect, but who has not yet realised that the opinions of others are not dumb sucky garbage.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Aim for the head.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
I am enjoying this all immensely.

I have to say though, I am slightly worried about where this is going. Meta is fun and all, but I'm concerned that we're going to get a 'You are all characters in a story that I, the author, Andrew Hussie is writing and I can make you do whatever I like' kind of direction. It kind of takes any agency out of anything the characters have ever done and ruins the entire story - It was all made up. It's a really lovely Deus Ex Machina. It worked in Animal Man, because that was the entire twist, but Homestuck has gone way past that level now.

Having said that, I don't think that's exactly what's going to happen. Hussie clearly knows his stuff better than that, but its making me think that there's gotta be more to this than just the station being Hussie the real actual author talking to Caliborn. It would be too simple of a cop out.

Also, that last flash totally delivered in terms of what I hoped it would deliver.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

We should distinguish between Andrew Hussie, the real human person who writes and draws the comic, and Andrew Hussie, the creepy orange character who has powers over the universe of Homestuck analogous to the powers of an author over a story.

The human has proven himself a trustworthy storyteller who always has another twist ready to keep ideas from getting stale; his use of meta-narrative gimmicks is always in service of the story, rather than the story being a contrivance to present the meta-narrative gimmick.

The character is comically ineffectual, and his influence on anything important in the events of the story always perfectly negates itself (notwithstanding the events of the "one yard" to which he's limited); he facilitates gags and increases the number of symbolic layers, but the core drama would play out exactly the same if he were wholly absent. In practical terms, there's no difference between Caliborn getting angry at the narrator and angrily squeezing some hints out of him, and Caliborn cursing fate and having a flash of sudden inspiration; in symbolic terms, it highlights the higher awareness that Lord English will eventually attain.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I find it interesting that Hussie implies that both personalities are necessary for maturity in cherubs. Maybe they would have eventually merged or something. It'd a weird thing to bring up, since there are very few scenarios in which we would see that alternative outcome.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

We should distinguish between Andrew Hussie, the real human person who writes and draws the comic, and Andrew Hussie, the creepy orange character who has powers over the universe of Homestuck analogous to the powers of an author over a story.

The human has proven himself a trustworthy storyteller who always has another twist ready to keep ideas from getting stale; his use of meta-narrative gimmicks is always in service of the story, rather than the story being a contrivance to present the meta-narrative gimmick.

The character is comically ineffectual, and his influence on anything important in the events of the story always perfectly negates itself (notwithstanding the events of the "one yard" to which he's limited); he facilitates gags and increases the number of symbolic layers, but the core drama would play out exactly the same if he were wholly absent. In practical terms, there's no difference between Caliborn getting angry at the narrator and angrily squeezing some hints out of him, and Caliborn cursing fate and having a flash of sudden inspiration; in symbolic terms, it highlights the higher awareness that Lord English will eventually attain.

Yeah. Sorry, I didn't really make it clear. I realise there is a distinction between the two Hussies, and I trust the actual real-life Hussie to know what he's doing here. Still, when things get this meta, I get nervous.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

krakagar posted:

Yeah. Sorry, I didn't really make it clear. I realise there is a distinction between the two Hussies, and I trust the actual real-life Hussie to know what he's doing here. Still, when things get this meta, I get nervous.

He is aware that by directly tampering with the story, he runs the risk of sacrificing everyone's ability to give a poo poo.

Anyway, I like that Gamzee has impenetrable plot armour now.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Um, guys? One of the locks is right next to the screen where the command/page title is located. :ohdear:

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

A big flaming stink posted:

Karkat called it the Yellow Lawn Ring.

:getin:

:getin: getting in so hard on this theory. Would explain a lot.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I'm just glad to know Gamzee's not dead for real (either not just yet, or he's a god tier with a double fake getup on). MoThErFuCkIn' MiRaCleS, mY bRoThEr. :o)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

TheDemon posted:

:getin: getting in so hard on this theory. Would explain a lot.

I'm probably reading too much into this, but some quick number crunching suggests that a basic ring of pure gold could plausibly be rolled into about a square yard of gold foil, or at least that's what their comparative weights suggest.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Getting uncomfortably meta here...

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Gabriel Pope posted:

I'm probably reading too much into this, but some quick number crunching suggests that a basic ring of pure gold could plausibly be rolled into about a square yard of gold foil, or at least that's what their comparative weights suggest.

Isn't the yellow yard pictured as a yardstick though? As in, a rectangular prism the length of a yard between the fenestrated walls.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

It seems possible that Hussie is retconning that.

His promised one moment of interference was originally leveling up John and Jade as they passed between the windows. But then he did the same to Dave and Rose, and they had nothing to do with the yellow yard.

So maybe he's replacing the yellow yard with the yellow ring and declaring giving it to Vriska to be his one moment of interference.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It is impossible for anything to be too meta when it has me laughing this hard.

You can't keep down the clown.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."

Bobulus posted:

So maybe he's replacing the yellow yard with the yellow ring and declaring giving it to Vriska to be his one moment of interference.

But what about the time he rescued a2 Damara and killed doc scratch?

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Crain posted:

Ok, theory time:

So Hussie/Narrator mentioned that Caliborn can change his text color among other things by activating various monitors on the the tower. Right?

Little fucker is gonna turn them all on.

Get his Cairo Overcoat.

Billiard ball eyes.

And hulk out.

The rainbow of text colors comes from Caliborn deciding that he doesn't want just one color, he wants ALL the colors.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Rooreelooo posted:

But what about the time he rescued a2 Damara and killed doc scratch?

I think he commented at the time that that didn't count because it wasn't interfering with the story proper because it was more a battle between narrators than a battle between narrator and characters. And he didn't really rescue A2 Damara, since she immediately ended up back in the clutches of Lord English.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

of bees posted:

The rainbow of text colors comes from Caliborn deciding that he doesn't want just one color, he wants ALL the colors.

If he wanted ALL the colours he should just use black. :colbert:
Seriously though, the Cairo overcoat makes my eyes hurt. One of these days Hussie might give us all seizures.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Grrl Anachronism posted:

If he wanted ALL the colours he should just use black. :colbert:
Seriously though, the Cairo overcoat makes my eyes hurt. One of these days Hussie might give us all seizures.

He's on a computer, he should use white. :colbert:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Bobulus posted:

It seems possible that Hussie is retconning that.

His promised one moment of interference was originally leveling up John and Jade as they passed between the windows. But then he did the same to Dave and Rose, and they had nothing to do with the yellow yard.

No, actually, his promised interference was setting up the two fourth walls across from each other to allow Jade & John to cross the sessions. The leveling up was incidental.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Bobulus posted:

I think he commented at the time that that didn't count because it wasn't interfering with the story proper because it was more a battle between narrators than a battle between narrator and characters. And he didn't really rescue A2 Damara, since she immediately ended up back in the clutches of Lord English.

Not to mention making Doc Scratch (briefly?) inanimate also did nothing to free Damara nor stop Lord English from Incredibly Hulking out of him.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
I'm pretty sure the reason Karkat calls it a lawn ring, instead of yard, is a joke based around the old human/troll language differences. Like toilet/load gaper: Karkat heard "yard" and assumed that was the yard around a person's house, and the troll word for that is lawn ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Caliborn isn't going to obtain infinite power in order to track down and kill Calliope's ghost, he's doing it to get rid Paradox Space of all versions of that stupid clown :argh: