Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If the South African CN is anything like the Aussie one then you've got a whole lot of nothing to look forward to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I already got nothing. Speaking of which, considering that games come with the redeem code anyway, I must have like +30 unused codes lying around. Does anyone want some?

Also, Mighty Switch Force Hyper Drive Edition is looking pretty nice. I didn't get it on the 3DS, and I adore the soundtrack just as much as I adore WayForward. Probably gonna buy it once it comes out.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
At a store that may have a pro but definitely has a basic. They're scouring for me right now but I'm tempted to just go with a basic if they don't have the higher model.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

horriblePencilist posted:

I already got nothing. Speaking of which, considering that games come with the redeem code anyway, I must have like +30 unused codes lying around. Does anyone want some?

I'll take some v:shobon:v

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I'll take some v:shobon:v

So how does this work? Does the code register the game to your account, or does it just give you points?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

So how does this work? Does the code register the game to your account, or does it just give you points?

You dont receive a digital version of a game by doing it. It rewards you for having bought the physical game by giving you "stars" or "coins" that can be spend on exclusive rewards from an online catalogue of physical items. Do you think you could PM them to me? I 'd sure like some more rewards.

AngryCaterpillar fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Nov 21, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Club Nintendo is totally separate from Nintendo Network and everything else, it's just a goofy rewards program that lets you register your games for stars/coins that you can then redeem for a (slim) variety of Nintendo trinkets, most of which are pretty crappy.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

AngryCaterpillar posted:

You dont receive a digital version of a game by doing it. It rewards you for having bought the physical game by giving you "stars" or "coins" that can be spend on exclusive rewards from an online catalogue. Do you think you could PM them to me? I 'd sure like some more rewards.

Don't I need a premium account for that? Anyway, I guess I'll be posting a code ever so often on this thread, so the early bird catches the worm.

HZSCTMAV33ZQZBIO

(This code was gonna expire tomorrow, lucky you)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It already expired! Oh well.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It already expired! Oh well.

Did it already? Aw man, that probably means most of my Wii games expired as well.
Oh well, new code:

DKHD4Q477FVI4083

I hate it when I can't tell the 0 from the O and the I for the 1 apart.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Hey, I'm doing pretty good here.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Club Nintendo is totally separate from Nintendo Network and everything else, it's just a goofy rewards program that lets you register your games for stars/coins that you can then redeem for a (slim) variety of Nintendo trinkets, most of which are pretty crappy.

European Club Nintendo has soundtrack CDs, SNES-styled Wii Classic Controllers, a Game & Watch replica, several plushies, the Game & Watch DS game and other stuff. Most of it is pretty expensive but hardly what I'd call trinkets. Most of the cheap stuff is pointless though, I agree.

I didn't know Austria didn't participate in that though (I'm German); if you really have that many codes you can sell them on eBay.de for a pretty penny.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Katana Gomai posted:

European Club Nintendo has soundtrack CDs, SNES-styled Wii Classic Controllers, a Game & Watch replica, several plushies, the Game & Watch DS game and other stuff. Most of it is pretty expensive but hardly what I'd call trinkets. Most of the cheap stuff is pointless though, I agree.

I didn't know Austria didn't participate in that though (I'm German); if you really have that many codes you can sell them on eBay.de for a pretty penny.

I glanced over the "Club Nintendo" results on eBay, but it seems they're mostly selling this stuff for a few euros, but that's it. Am I missing something here? If it's actually that little, I'll pass

I wonder if I can get someone to buy me an avatar for CN codes?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

I glanced over the "Club Nintendo" results on eBay, but it seems they're mostly selling this stuff for a few euros, but that's it. Am I missing something here? If it's actually that little, I'll pass

I wonder if I can get someone to buy me an avatar for CN codes?

How many do you have left? about thirty? I'd buy you an av for that.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Katana Gomai posted:

Does/has it ever had all this stuff at the same time, though? In my experience they tend to sell out of the good stuff really quickly and all that's left is Mario Washcloth #589430859430 or whatever.

It's still better than the Aussie CN, which is thoroughly lacking in both quantity and quality. Very occasionally they might throw up a few units of some neat Japanese prize but most of the time it's completely barren.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Does/has it ever had all this stuff at the same time, though? In my experience they tend to sell out of the good stuff really quickly and all that's left is Mario Washcloth #589430859430 or whatever.

It's still better than the Aussie CN, which is thoroughly lacking in both quantity and quality. Very occasionally they might throw up a few units of some neat Japanese prize but most of the time it's completely barren.

The best we've probably gotten is the Gold Nunchuk (goes quite nicely with my Gold Skyward Sword Wiimote and Classic Controller :smuggo:), and the Legend of Zelda posters (I actually framed the Link group-shot 25th Anniversary one because it was on surprisingly fine paper). The rest is pretty much just cheap folders, stickers and individual DS/3DS game cases.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The best we've probably gotten is the Gold Nunchuk (goes quite nicely with my Gold Skyward Sword Wiimote and Classic Controller :smuggo:), and the Legend of Zelda posters (I actually framed the Link group-shot 25th Anniversary one because it was on surprisingly fine paper). The rest is pretty much just cheap folders, stickers and individual DS/3DS game cases.

The best was being able to buy Wii points. I think most of my VC games were bought with points I got from buying Nintendo games.

Especially since they didn't allow this until after a few years, or at least that is when i discovered it, so I registered two dozen games and bought VC stuff like crazy.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I was just going to look it up but they locked up the catalogue for a month because they're migrating it, I guess to coincide with the WiiU launch. However, last time I checked a week ago, the SNES Controller, Game&Watch replica, DS game, Mario Galaxy soundtrack, Animal Crossing Soundtrack (actually ordered that one) were all available. I ordered 2 of the SNES controllers last year so they've been in stock for a while.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

AngryCaterpillar posted:

How many do you have left? about thirty? I'd buy you an av for that.

Considering Pokemon Platinum already ran out, it's probably much less than that. Sorry.
Keep your eyes peeled for future single codes, though.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Considering Pokemon Platinum already ran out, it's probably much less than that. Sorry.
Keep your eyes peeled for future single codes, though.

Actually it wasn't expired. I know this because I snagged it!

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Actually it wasn't expired. I know this because I snagged it!

Oh, I guess you beat Ninja to the punch then. Still, I got most of my Wii games a while ago, so I'm not sure if they're still valid.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Oh, I guess you beat Ninja to the punch then. Still, I got most of my Wii games a while ago, so I'm not sure if they're still valid.

Downloadable ones expire after some time, but I think if it had a code in the box, it's valid.

jdfording
Nov 10, 2006
Newegg has a kickass deal on a Seagate 1.5tb powered hard drive. Already $60 off plus with this promo code get another $20 so the total is $69.99 for 1.5tb and free 3 day shipping.

Promo Code: EMCJJHN36

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148886

Deal is only for today 11/21

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
I really hope there will be a Spotify app in the future.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

greatn posted:

Downloadable ones expire after some time, but I think if it had a code in the box, it's valid.

European boxed codes expire as well, although I think it takes something like 3-5 years from the release of the game for them to do so.

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

SyRauk posted:

I really hope there will be a Spotify app in the future.

Didn't Spotify have a web based version somewhere online?
If not, does anyone know if Grooveshark works in the Wii U browser?

yugge
Aug 27, 2008

Captain Flame Guy posted:

Didn't Spotify have a web based version somewhere online?
If not, does anyone know if Grooveshark works in the Wii U browser?

There is a beta going, using facebook though. This link should work: http://apps.facebook.com/get-spotify/?fb_source=notification&fb_ref=cazzette_us&ref=notif&notif_t=app_notification

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't know why but I can't stop being mad about the 5GB update thing. I'm not even mad about it cause of Nintendo, I'm mad that this is apparently what journalism has come to. One journalist tweeted it was 5gb, this is now the official size listed in every single journalism article there is, on every website, when it had been disproven numerous times. I just can't believe one tweet (which he refuses to correct, saying Nintendo told him it was 5gb therefore it is) is now completely canon, not one journalistic organization or game website has so much as questioned it.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

It's because no one really gives a gently caress and you shouldn't, either.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

greatn posted:

I don't know why but I can't stop being mad about the 5GB update thing. I'm not even mad about it cause of Nintendo, I'm mad that this is apparently what journalism has come to. One journalist tweeted it was 5gb, this is now the official size listed in every single journalism article there is, on every website, when it had been disproven numerous times. I just can't believe one tweet (which he refuses to correct, saying Nintendo told him it was 5gb therefore it is) is now completely canon, not one journalistic organization or game website has so much as questioned it.

If it was 5gb, it wasn't, then my internet service provider just got a hell of a lot better because it took me 40 minutes to download it. Kind of in the same line of thinking, it kind of bothers me that Giantbomb never corrected their story about saying netflix wasn't/isn't available at launch. I'm more upset at giantbomb than the contents of the story, maybe making a correction to the story isn't a big deal but I feel like it furthers the negative hyperbole of the launch. I had just held them to higher standards than the rest of games journalism.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Is this slowly mutating into a game journalism thread?

Anyway, how is the battery treating everyone?

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
It was at least 1GB in size.

Finally started ZombiU. From what I gathered in the first 30 mins of playtime is that the websites who gave this game a low review have no loving idea what they are talking about. This is a very tense game and requires far more thought and planning than I thought was going to be required. It's probably one of the best survival-horror games I've ever played.

If you want to mow down zombos then this is not the game for you.

Oh jesus gently caress, rats can set off the drat radar. This is going to complicate things.

SyRauk fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 21, 2012

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

With the brightness turned down, I can go more than 2 hours before the pad loses its first bar off the battery. It really isn't that bad unless you need the brightness up to 5 for some reason. I haven't had a WiiU marathon yet so I can't say how long the thing will last for sure, but for comparison, before I turned it down I was losing about one bar every 45 minutes or so.

SyRauk posted:

Finally started ZombiU. From what I gathered in the first 30 mins of playtime is that the websites who gave this game a low review have no loving idea what they are talking about. This is a very tense game and requires far more thought and planning than I thought was going to be required. It's probably one of the best survival-horror games I've ever played.

If you want to mow down zombos then this is not the game for you.

Oh jesus gently caress, rats can set off the drat radar. This is going to complicate things.

I don;t think this is going to be a game that 3 or 4 years down the road people are going to be going "this game is a must play" but it really is pretty decent. The main complaint seems to be that it is repetitive after awhile. I still like it though and playing it in bursts of about an hour or so at a time feels just about right.

Also, scan the rats, they all indicate that they have loot too, nothing like getting your hopes up...

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Nov 21, 2012

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

It honestly hasn't been a problem yet. The first day the battery light came on during firmware update, I never had charged it as recommended. I put it on the charging cradle and it was fine.

After that I turned brightness down to 2 and power saver on, I haven't seen red light since, and I've used it heavily. I just place it on the charging cradle anytime I am not using it. Last night I played pikmin land with my wife for two levels, Luigi's ghost mansion, then 1.5 hours of AC3, some Miiverse, and it was still at full bars. The real test will come on Sunday, my "play video games all day" day.

For other people it's drained really quickly though.

Edit: Anyone know what power saving mode even does? I haven't noticed any difference. Does it decrease effective range at all? I have noticed a need to be closer to the tv for IR blasting.

greatn fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 21, 2012

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Underwhelmed posted:

With the brightness turned down, I can go more than 2 hours before the pad loses its first bar off the battery. It really isn't that bad unless you need the brightness up to 5 for some reason. I haven't had a WiiU marathon yet so I can't say how long the thing will last for sure, but for comparison, before I turned it down I was losing about one bar every 45 minutes or so.

I don;t think this is going to be a game that 3 or 4 years down the road people are going to be going "this game is a must play" but it really is pretty decent. The main complaint seems to be that it is repetitive after awhile. I still like it though and playing it in bursts of about an hour or so at a time feels just about right.

Also, scan the rats, they all indicate that they have loot too, nothing like getting your hopes up...

I believe you can kill rats and crows for meat. I too thought that they held loot so I shot a crow before it flew off and what do you know the shots attracted about 4 zombies to my location. There goes about 8 rounds of precious ammo wasted. Headshots are not always a 1 shot kill in this game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Underwhelmed posted:

ZombiU, from what I've played at a friend's, seems to have this vibe. It also has the kind of vibe you get from games like Resistance where it can spawn its own franchise just by the virtue of being a decent launch game with enough buzz. I'm betting in 3 or 4 years, we'll be telling people "Oh yeah, ZombiU was pretty cool for the time but you can skip it to play ZombiU 2/3/<subtitle> instead."

Just a hunch. I get the feeling Ubisoft will push this thing into a franchise.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Policenaut posted:

ZombiU, from what I've played at a friend's, seems to have this vibe. It also has the kind of vibe you get from games like Resistance where it can spawn its own franchise just by the virtue of being a decent launch game with enough buzz. I'm betting in 3 or 4 years, we'll be telling people "Oh yeah, ZombiU was pretty cool for the time but you can skip it to play ZombiU 2/3/<subtitle> instead."

Just a hunch. I get the feeling Ubisoft will push this thing into a franchise.

Oh yeah put it in other major cities like New York, this is easily franchisable.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Policenaut posted:

I get the feeling Ubisoft will push this thing into a franchise.

There will be a wave of lawsuits by Bono when games named GameU2 start becoming a thing.

*edit oh poo poo, they'll name the game 2ombiU won't they?

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 21, 2012

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007
So what's the goon consensus on the Sonic racing game? Is it worth the 40 bucks? And does it have split screen local multiplayer and stable online play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Katana Gomai posted:

There will be a wave of lawsuits by Bono when games named GameU2 start becoming a thing.

*edit oh poo poo, they'll name the game 2ombiU won't they?

And accidentally give people hopes of a Tombi remake? I doubt it. :colbert:

• Locked thread