Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Basically, you face this dilemma: Either you approach LP as presenting a game with you playing the role of a mediator between it and the audience - OR you can make it all about yourself, throw in millions of gimmicks and whore for views.

If you choose the first path, you'll drop all the unnecessary ballast that prevents the game from shining through. If you choose the second path, your place is on Youtube, not here.

Here are previous attempts at LPing Okami: http://lparchive.org/lpmaster/?stitle=okami&sauth=&splat=&sgenre=&sstatus=all&stype=all&search=Search#results Note that even though their presentations do vary, they also have a lot of things in common: They are relatively subdued and place the game in the centre with the LPer complemeting it rather than overshadowing it.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Nov 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricVanWilderman
Nov 21, 2012
You're right. I'm trying to walk a fine line between making it entertaining and not making it all about myself. My commentary is 100% directed at the game, but I do end up talking a lot. I was under the assumption that the facecam would help the viewer and player interact, but posting here has made me realize otherwise.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

EricVanWilderman posted:

a fine line between making it entertaining and not making it all about myself.

Just want to highlight the logical fallacy you made here. This way of thinking can get in the way of making a good LP -- it's nice that you say you're open to input, but we still gotta see you follow through on it, down the road.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Put it this way: look at what all the other Youtube superstars are doing over there. Study their technique, their craft. Then resolve never to do any of that, because it's what makes Youtube Superstars as a whole so terrible to watch. When your major concern is making a name for yourself, rather than showing off a good game to the best of your abilities, the game will suffer, and if you knew more about the LP forum beyond 'that place where the LPs come from', you should've expected to hear this.

And never chant The Litany Of Comment Rate Subscribe, nothing makes me want to ditch an LP faster than that.

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde
Edit: A bit late to the party.

cKnoor fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Nov 21, 2012

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

EricVanWilderman posted:

I more or less really just want constructive criticism from a well renowned forum. It's not about views or dumping anything. The facecam thing is noted, but so far I have some viewers that like it and some that don't. I'm at a stand still right now as to what to do, but perhaps I'll remove it.

I suppose to post on here I should start from the beginning of a let's play, which I'll do for this forum on the second game I'll start.

As everyone else has said, Okami is too good a game to facecam (don't like facecam as a whole excpet for streams but that's not the point here). And you are 22 videos in so that isn't the video to put here. Put up something else please.

Sorry for repeating.

EDIT:
I don't think will/should get banned for this since he knows he made a mistake. Probation probably.
VVV

KDavisJr fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 21, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

EricVanWilderman posted:

*Yes, I realize I broke a rule or two, it's my first day here and while I did read through the rules, I was amped to see what people would think of my let's play. I was kindly redirected to the sandcastle to practice so that's what I did in case someone would have to correct my mistakes.*
Yeah, see, here's the thing, if you break the rules you're liable to be put on probation or banned, regardless of whether it's your first day or not. You don't get an exception for "Well I'm new and I'm really excited!" Frankly I'm surprised you haven't been punished already.

SA's LP forum is not youtube, and if we let every kid "excited" about showing off his new LP poo poo 22 videos on the forums, we'd be crawling with lovely youtube superstars, which is the last thing we want. There's a reason that most new members get told to lurk for awhile, and that's because things work differently here and it takes a bit of time reading the forum to "get it." You already spent the :10bux:, so if you don't get banned for this I'd suggest checking out the forums and reading them for a good long while before you post again.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
So: he put out a pretty well-made video about a game he likes in an enthusiastic style (with a healthy number of faux pas, it's true), and he's taking criticism well. I mean I'm all for public beheadings, but...

So yeah, I think this will cover everything:

- Facecams aren't super popular, since it makes it look like you care more about people seeing you than the game. ESPECIALLY in a beautiful game that doesn't elicit huge emotional responses like this one.

- No need to read the text. Unless you're REALLY good at it, an... I can't remember ever seeing and LP like that. I don't mind a good summary of what we just read though.

- That schedule is INSANE.

- The little blue box isn't as offensively presented as some other PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO ME things that I've seen, but any pandering like that is generally frowned on. There's the idea that we are making quality videos for the sake of making them and having them appreciated, and not to get famous.

I don't think that's too many tweaks to your format, you should be able to keep your youtube barbarians happy and please us aesthetes too!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Edit: gently caress this sentence.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 21, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Turtlicious posted:

Here's a question, if I'm LPing a game I sincerely enjoyed, am I thinking of LP's wrong if my priority is more about trying to entertain someone then the game?
I think you'll get several different answers to this question, but I'd say entertaining others is the point of LPs. Really the only no-no is trying to promote yourself.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Basically, SA is a very, very different audience than YouTube. What the standard youtube audience calls "Wacky Fun", we consider to be vapid, lazy gimmicks. Youtubers tend to value frequency-of-updates above all else, Goons favor effort, care, and quality (usually).

I think it's pretty clear that this guy is used to the tastes of the YouTube audience, and is thinking in those terms. But hey, when he was corrected, he took it entirely the right way: accepted the criticism well, seems to understand what we want differently, and says he'll come back later with a different LP geared more to our tastes.

Should have followed the rules, obviously.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Turtlicious posted:

Here's a question, if I'm LPing a game I sincerely enjoyed, am I thinking of LP's wrong if my priority is more about trying to entertain someone then the game?

Is this directed at the Okami guy? Because, honestly, yes, you should be focusing on entertaining your audience.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

judge reinhold posted:

Is this directed at the Okami guy? Because, honestly, yes, you should be focusing on entertaining your audience.

Good god, that sentence is a train wreck. >_<

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."
To be honest, I'm not too big on people voicing over their LPs unless they actually know what they are talking about, and can entertain me with a little trivia about the game and/or the source material at the same time. Extra points if they can do all of that with some sort of unique foreign accent.

And no, I don't want to see what you look like either. My expectations were shattered when I finally saw Slowbeef's face during that PewDiePie reaction video. I always had a vision in my mind that he looked like Ryan Styles.

Cangelosi fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 21, 2012

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

EricVanWilderman posted:

You're right. I'm trying to walk a fine line between making it entertaining and not making it all about myself. My commentary is 100% directed at the game, but I do end up talking a lot. I was under the assumption that the facecam would help the viewer and player interact, but posting here has made me realize otherwise.

I don't remember who said this first but it really seems to apply right now: learn how to do good commentary. Don't talk. Especially not over dialogue and cutscenes.

Never do facecams.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

EricVanWilderman posted:

OKAMI PRACTICE VIDEO

Here are some suggestions for making a high-quality LP:

-- Add a sick title screen to every video that has blood and skeletons everywhere, and then switch to Goku powering up and then pile driving someone. Oh and don't forget a sweet sound track, Linkin Park is good

-- Please vary the commentary audio between every episode. For instance I jumped to episode 7 from episode 2 and the commentary audio in episode 7 was like twice as loud. I love that! You should get a random number generator and rescale your commentary audio by that number, or even better your episodes should just alternate between inaudiable and ears-bleeding loud.

-- You should remind viewers about every minute or so to subscribe and like your videos. Sometimes I forget to do that, and even if I've seen a "please subscribe" annotation a bunch of times sometimes I still forget and need another reminder! I'm kind of dumb like that, anyway more annotations please

-- I love your face cam lol! You should make your face cam at least twice as large, and put it in the center of the screen so that we can see your reactions better. I'd rather see your reactions than have any of my own (my face was paralyzed 6 months ago, my doctor said that I was watching too many face cam Youtube LPs but he doesn't know anything)

-- I hate cutscenes, please talk over them with entertaining stuff instead. Maybe you can do knock-knock jokes, or just talk about what you ate for lunch that day. Or better yet, breakfast! While recording commentary just go ahead and say any god drat thing that pops into your head. No matter what it is, I will find it interesting and relevant to whatever is going on in the game (which hopefully I can't even see because your video should just be 100% face cam with maybe a border made of spinning Dragon Balls

-- If you don't mind, please upload at least 3 videos per day. They can be short I don't care, just give me a new video to click Like on because that's what it's all about

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Allow me to interrupt the Youtube LPer stuff.

A Brief History of Monkeys. Let's Play Ape Escape!

The Game

Ape Escape was released in 1999 and is the first ever dual-analog game, that is the first game to require 2 control sticks to function. The game's unique control system earned it a lot of press at the time of release, and helped it stand out from the ocean of other 3D platformers released during the Playstation/N64 generation. The completely insane story revolves around an invention by a man known only to us as "The Professor" named the Peak Point Helmet. This device harnesses the brain's dormant energy and expands the wearer's intelligence. When a monkey named Specter finds a helmet and puts it on he turns into a devilish mastermind, freeing his fellow monkeys from Monkey Park and embarking on a quest to erase humans from history using the Professor's time machine. It becomes our mission as Spike to travel through time and capture the escaped monkeys and safeguard the future.

A PSP remake, entitled Ape Escape: On The Loose (or Ape Escape P in Europe) was released in 2005. An anime series ran in 2006 and the series as a whole has become Sony's little bitch of late with the likes of Ape Quest and Ape Academy stinking up the PS Store, so let's just chill and remember how well it all started.

The game is also available for download on the Playstation store, if you want to play along but have lost your copy. Also if you have Playstation All-Stars, I have eternal dibs on Spike.

The LP

Ape Escape is a game very dear to my heart, it's the game I always wanted to play when I saw my friends playing it. I had a demo disc containing the first few levels of the game and played that all the time, until I finally got a copy of my own in 2004 and at this point I could pretty much clear the game with my eyes closed. That all said, this is NOT going to be a full 100% run. However I am going to be catching all 204 monkeys, showing the true ending and all that good stuff. Just don't expect all the time trial medals and Specter coins, though I will grab enough coins to show off the mini-games since they are awesome. Also this is the UK version, which has wonderfully (woefully?) different voice acting from the US version. Commentary is solo (as always), since I could probably talk to a wall about this game for days.

As I have never played Ape Escape 2+3 (and didn't know either existed until a few years ago) I probably won't be LPing those games. I will try to get some footage of Ape Escape P (which I do own) to show off the changes in that version though.

Test video

njsykora fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 22, 2012

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

njsykora posted:

A Brief History of Monkeys. Let's Play Ape Escape!
I think the commentary is good overall and really the only thing I'd recommend, or at least question, is why you video is at such a small resolution. Not to say the video quality was bad but you could probably make it better by bumping up to 720 or at least 480.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Just wanted to say that Okami guy took the criticism better than you often see from just-registered-to-post-my-youtube-LP types. He deserved that probation for posting a youtube dump against the rules, but at least he checked here first and might potentially learn from what we tell him next time he does 15 episodes of an LP in advance.

As for Ape Escape: yeah, I'd also say try to record in slightly higher resolution if you have the equipment.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That might be Youtube's doing, but I've heard bumping to 720 makes Youtube do less weird things to your videos so I'll do that. The resolution it's at now is native when capturing from my PS2 and after cropping off the big black border before Youtube does things to it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

JT Jag posted:

Just wanted to say that Okami guy took the criticism better than you often see from just-registered-to-post-my-youtube-LP types. He deserved that probation for posting a youtube dump against the rules, but at least he checked here first
No, he actually posted it here first. He did take the advice to close it almost immediately though.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

njsykora posted:

That might be Youtube's doing, but I've heard bumping to 720 makes Youtube do less weird things to your videos so I'll do that. The resolution it's at now is native when capturing from my PS2 and after cropping off the big black border before Youtube does things to it.

Someone said earlier that YouTube downsizes; sounds like you're capturing at 480p with the borders, then ending up with slightly less than that without borders, which YouTube bumps down to 360p.

I personally haven't figured if it actually looks better to have older games in 720; I don't know how it looks to try and upscale something that way.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

frozentreasure posted:

Someone said earlier that YouTube downsizes; sounds like you're capturing at 480p with the borders, then ending up with slightly less than that without borders, which YouTube bumps down to 360p.

I personally haven't figured if it actually looks better to have older games in 720; I don't know how it looks to try and upscale something that way.

Well I'm encoding a resized video now, so I guess we'll see. I generally end up with a little less than 480 after cropping, but I've not seen videos come out that small before. Think the extra few pixels I had to take off one side did something weird.

E: OK resized it to 800x600, is there any real difference to people's eyes? It's at least showing 480 as an option which I've not seen on my videos before.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 22, 2012

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

njsykora posted:

Well I'm encoding a resized video now, so I guess we'll see. I generally end up with a little less than 480 after cropping, but I've not seen videos come out that small before. Think the extra few pixels I had to take off one side did something weird.

E: OK resized it to 800x600, is there any real difference to people's eyes? It's at least showing 480 as an option which I've not seen on my videos before.

They both look about the same, though this version is very slightly clearer. It IS a PSX game, and not one of the better looking ones, so it's never going to be super clear without getting out emulators.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Here's a technical question for the beach party: I'm thinking about putting together a race (like the Super Mario 64 race here) and I was wondering how I would do the paned format for multiple player perspectives. Here's the hitch: My windows machine has hardly any disk space, so I'd probably do most of my editing on my laptop, which is a macbook pro. I know there's some great software out there for video editing but I've got no clue what it is or how to use it. Any tips?

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

I posted this back in October, but there was something else going on, and then I got hit with Computer Blues. So let's try this again.

Where's your data now? Let's play Darwinia

Darwinia is the second title by indie studio Introversion Software, the first being Uplink. Released in 2005, Darwinia is a lightweight action/RTS about saving a small community of AIs on a server farm from a virus outbreak. Like Uplink before it, I find it slow and a little shallow, but still pretty interesting. Unlike Uplink, I can actually bring myself to play Darwinia for more than half an hour.

Darwinia's aggressively laid back pace, simple tactics, and general lack of animation (things turn and float/slide forward, that's about it) make for a less than exciting video experience, but I'll probably record one of the more interesting stages later on for the sake of showing off the sound work. Darwinia isn't big on background music; it has one track that plays during stage openings and exits as the player partakes in exposition, and that's about it. But the day-to-day sound effects are all pretty good; lowering the camera down into a puddle of viruses catches their chittering, viruses screech as you blast them apart, larger pieces of ordinance your programs fire make satisfying launch noises. The thread won't have a whole lot of opportunity to influence the playthrough, though occasionally I can call a cheap vote on what order to tackle levels.

Stage 1: Garden

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Edit - poo poo, meant to post this in the Tech Support Fort.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Nov 23, 2012

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

I have just picked up this game and Uplink from GoG, and was planning to LP it, so this comes as a nice surprise. Now I don't need to work.

I like the update itself, but I think you could be a little more informative. This game is a love letter tho the golden days of computing and sci-fi, so there are a lot of scattered references to older games and movies. You are not mentioning them at all.

The most obvious thing. Your engineers are actually this:

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Alright Sandcastle - I think this one is just about ready for release. Anything I'm neglecting?
---------------------------------

Apparently it's been a solid 5 years since the last time someone took a crack at this game, so I'd say it's ripe for a new LP.

One of my favourite games during my budding adolescence, Jet Grind (or Set, depending on your region) Radio was released in the Summer of 2000 for the Sega Dreamcast, and is one of the most distinctive and memorable games the system ever put forth. The combination of cel-shaded art style, vibrant, kinetic visuals and the phattest of soundtracks immediately set this game apart as one of my all-time favourites.

The Game's distinct aesthetic incorporates and mixes elements from a myriad of sources, such as both Japanese Pop culture and Counterculture, along with the more western influences of Punk, Hip-Hop, and Graffiti, taking both visual and musical cues from each. Anyone interested in the Creative aspects of the game owes it to themselves to check out 'The Rude Awakening', a short documentary about the Smilebit Team's creative process and a little bit of the history behind the game.

For this LP, I'll be taking a slightly different approach what you might expect. While I will of course be making mention of the gameplay, it won't really be the focus of the LP. While the game has a myriad of minor flaws, they're easily overwhelmed by the game's art design, it just oozes style from every orifice. Along with Wind Waker and a small handful of other titles, this is one of the few games who's environments I regularly come back to visit and play through for their own sake.

On to the second component of this LP; While Graffiti is integral to both the concept and gameplay, one of the most often-neglected aspects of the game is the in-game graffiti creation tool. Awkward, unintuitive, and Frustrating, the Graffiti Creation tool is almost entirely neglected or dismissed whenever the game is mentioned.

And it's my favourite part of the whole damned game.

If you accept it's limitations and learn work around them, it can be suprisingly powerful tool to create some really unique pieces. If you're willing to put in a little time you'll often surprise yourself with how much you like the end result of your labors.

So, the Gimmick of this LP is that I'll be using ONLY the Graffiti Creation tool, and only using Sprays that I create myself. I will of course display the Graffiti Souls that I come across in the levels, starting with No. 540. (no promises about finding all of them though). I'll also be using every character, and creating a unique set for each of them, possibly MORE than one set if I re-use characters.

So, Let's Get Cracking!

Soundtrack Link- Shamelessly pillaged from the previous LP.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

McKilligan posted:

Jet Set Radio

I'm watching the Tutorial video right now, but I still have a couple thoughts about this.

1. Five videos is an awful lot for a test post, don't you think? I mean, you already have about an hour of content right there.

2. Why aren't these videos in HD? One of the biggest draws of the JSR rerelease was schweet HD graffix and it sucks that you're not taking advantage of it. Never mind, it's just the tutorial that's not HD.

I'll have to watch more to really comment on your playing and your commentary, but both of them seem fine so far.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 23, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Only problem I see is talking over Prof K. at the end of the videos. Just let him do his thing, then talk all you want.

Also, is it just me, or is the no.540 vid not working?

zaps2k8
Nov 21, 2012
Okay, I started this let's play of The Walking Dead a while ago but it didn't go so well so I got some feedback off people and decided to re-do the the videos :) if you guys could watch my test video and tell me what you think I should change/remove or what you liked about it :)

Let's Play The Walking Dead Episode 1

This is my new let's play of the walking dead hopefully a lot better than the last and i hope that you could leave some feedback for me to make my videos better :)

The Walking Dead Episode 1 - Part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzsxkyYE41c *test video*

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

zaps2k8 posted:

Let's Play The Walking Dead Episode 1

First off, good on you redoing your old LPs! I haven't finished the first video yet, but it's a bit annoying how you insist on reading out each dialog option. Between your reading over them, reading your final selection, and hearing the character speak, we're hearing it three times, which is too many times. By the way, what's your accent? I can't quite place it.

zaps2k8
Nov 21, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

First off, good on you redoing your old LPs! I haven't finished the first video yet, but it's a bit annoying how you insist on reading out each dialog option. By the way, what's your accent? I can't quite place it.

okay so I will stop reading the dialog or most of it :) and my accent is British

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee

zaps2k8 posted:

This is my new let's play of the walking dead hopefully a lot better than the last and i hope that you could leave some feedback for me to make my videos better :)

I haven't watched the video yet, but please use periods and capitalize things. That way your posts will look more coherent, at least.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

zaps2k8 posted:

The Walking Dead Episode 1 - Part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzsxkyYE41c *test video*

Is there supposed to be blank video between 8 and 16 minutes, which then goes to a commentary-less version of the very same playthrough?

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Does the three month rule affect Telltale's TWD? Like, is it cool to LP it now or does he have to wait three months after the last episode released?

zaps2k8
Nov 21, 2012

judge reinhold posted:

Is there supposed to be blank video between 8 and 16 minutes, which then goes to a commentary-less version of the very same playthrough?

Derpy moment when rendering the video is only supposed to be 8 minutes long *facepalm*

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

ApeHawk posted:

Does the three month rule affect Telltale's TWD? Like, is it cool to LP it now or does he have to wait three months after the last episode released?

I'd call it at 3 months for each independent episode. After all, everyone who actually plays the games will have that time to wait and speculate, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Hey folks.

I could use some feedback/opinions as I'm trying my hand at a VLP. So I made a test episode to have a base to judge upon.

A few things up front:

Intro: The footage doesn't look that great but it's taken straight from the actual game intro. It just looks like this. Really, nothing I can do about that. At least not to my knowledge.

On-screen text: A lot of it is near impossible to read. Again, this is how the game looks, can't change that. I tried different resolutions but it stays that way. Luckily it's voice acted.

Music: The soundtrack is pretty bland, does lag and causes the game to crash on a certain level transition. I replaced it with music of my own choice. I mixed the audio with headphones so it should be good for most people. Still, if something sounds really off to you, speak up.

Commentary: My mic is cheap so you probably heard better, but I also heard worse. As I'm not a native speaker I have to get back into the habit of clear pronunciation, which will only come with practice. Same goes for mumbling the occasinal word. Honestly, I've heard worse but I had to redo a couple of lines in post. Otherwise I thinks it's okay. A couple of dumb jokes could have been avoided, but they just kinda happened. Nothing too serious, I think. :v:

Basically I just want to know if there are any issues that I'm overlooking.
So have at it!

A video about anime robots from the nineties.

• Locked thread