Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Dark Souls 2: Dark Harder

Police Chief Solaire has made you turn in your Sunlight Medal and thrown you off the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Armoured Core and King's Field, for the most part, used regular numbers for their installments. My guess is that they will go with Dark Souls 2. :effort:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Eh, I didn't think they wanted to make a sequel to Dark Souls right?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

FutonForensic posted:

Dark Souls 2: Dark Harder

Police Chief Solaire has made you turn in your Sunlight Medal and thrown you off the case.

I GET RESULTS! *angrily scrawls summoning sign on the wall of the chief's office*

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

I've got a DLC question, I got there earlier and blitzed through the very first area, but now i'm really confused. It almost feels like i've sequence broke the game. I'll just put this in spoilers but i've just got to the first Oocille Township bonfire.

So I went in, killed Sanctuary Guardian, ran through a field and over a bridge and a black dragon flew down. I tried to cut off his foot but he flew away because I am too baller with my man mode. Then I carried on through the Royal Woods, got to a huge arena and fog door then fought Artorias, just, out of nowhere. I killed him and got to the bonfire just after him

I would keep playing but it's really late and I fell off a cliff and am tired. I just want to know if i've missed something huge because this fight just came out of nowhere and i'm not even sure what my objectives are here.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!
Dog's Souls.

Every boss is Sif.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Thievery posted:

So I went in, killed Sanctuary Guardian, ran through a field and over a bridge and a black dragon flew down...

He's an optional boss. From the bridge near Chester, go past the entrance to the Artorias fight and around the elevator room. There should be a ramp down that leads to him.

Just a heads up, you're gonna need some "help."

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

FutonForensic posted:

He's an optional boss. From the bridge near Chester, go past the entrance to the Artorias fight and around the elevator room. There should be a ramp down that leads to him.

Just a heads up, you're gonna need some "help."

Wait wait who is Chester? I haven't found any NPC's here that aren't trying to kill me.

complimentary picture of my dude looking baller earlier on.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Thievery posted:

Wait wait who is Chester? I haven't found any NPC's here that aren't trying to kill me.

complimentary picture of my dude looking baller earlier on.

This is Marvelous Chester:

Near the fog door to that boss you fought look to the right and you should notice a bridge. Across it is Chester and a path back to the start of the woods

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

:ducksiren: Duck Souls: Prepare to Dabble Edition. :ducksiren:

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Thievery posted:

He's this guy.

Edit: Beaten.

FutonForensic fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 21, 2012

Sesquiculus
Aug 15, 2002

Thievery posted:

In that case you also missed Elizabeth, who was in the field after the guardian. She's the one who lays out the story/objectives for you.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Is there a shortcut to the blacksmith from the second bonfire in Anor Londo? I really, really, really don't feel like running all the way back to Andre to buy arrows.

I'm not sure which bonfire you mean, but yes there are shortcuts to get to him. However, they all require getting past the archers.

Shortcut 1: This assumes you have access to the room with the silver knight armor. From the bonfire where you find solaire, go straight, take a right into that room, go up, take a right and you're in the big area right before the boss. Take a left, go up the stairs and around to the other side. There will be a doorway on your left that leads to the smith. You do not have to interact with the archer on that side at all. If you do, you've gone too far.

Shortcut 2: Requires that you get to the smith at least once using the above method. If you leave the smith's area out the archway instead of back up the stairs, there's a gate you can open from that side only. Do so. You can now access the smith from the first bonfire.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

gtrmp posted:

Dog's Souls.

Every boss is Sif.

These games are supposed to be hard though.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

Eh, I didn't think they wanted to make a sequel to Dark Souls right?

I'm pretty sure they're already making one - it'll be better optimised for PC.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I'm thinking about making a crossbow build. I've never used crossbows before, so how do regular-path crossbows end up comparing to elemental-path crossbows? I've seen people discuss that but I'm not really sure which one is supposed to be better. I know scaling doesn't factor in, at least.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Lightning Avelyn is basically the biggest rear end in a top hat weapon you can make. I don't know about other crossbows. But it's not like there's a shortage of them.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Internet Kraken posted:

These games are supposed to be hard though.

The difficulty lies in reconciling with yourself after you keep murdering loyal giant puppies.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

gtrmp posted:

Dog's Souls.

Every boss is Sif.

Bark Souls

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Sesquiculus posted:

In that case you also missed Elizabeth, who was in the field after the guardian. She's the one who lays out the story/objectives for you.

Jesus, what is with this expansion? I've thought I'd seen it all after I beat the Hand of Fate in his pit, but I feel like I've missed a ton of stuff. I've only seen four NPCs total, and only two of them talked.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

gtrmp posted:

Dog's Souls.

Every boss is Sif.

Dogs' Souls. Or Dogs' Soul, one soul, multiple dogs.

I'm secretly hoping they have a race of enemies called Its, then we can have Its' Souls and make English majors tear their hair out.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Mazed posted:

The difficulty lies in reconciling with yourself after you keep murdering loyal giant puppies.

Considering the atrocities most of us commit prior to the end of every game cycle, I'm pretty sure we'll live. Unlike poor Andre...

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Dogs' Souls. Or Dogs' Soul, one soul, multiple dogs.

I'm secretly hoping they have a race of enemies called Its, then we can have Its' Souls and make English majors tear their hair out.

Greengrocer's Souls

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's Souls! with an exclamation point would be a pretty great sequel title. Just tell everybody upfront, and we'll pick it up.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I GET RESULTS! *angrily scrawls summoning sign on the wall of the chief's office*

"Imminent amazing results"

For anyone like me that just got this game and is playing it for the first time with an eye on this thread: listen to what they're telling you.

The Stray Demon was giving me a hell of a time and I thought I was working every angle I could with my facetanking fatroller carrying a Zweihander+9 and Crest Shield in Black Iron Armor. After death number 7 I got fed up and finally went with the common suggestion: stripped all armor, the shield, and went full-on beef jerky double-handing my Diehander. Fucker went down in moments.

Manmode, all day erry day.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I wish they'd done with the pc release what seemingly all new steam releases do: Promotional TF2 items.

Praise the sun taunt emote item and all-class bronion hat

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Pottery lessons, Dark Souls style
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlT97898F7U

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

I can't believe I didn't notice this before:

That tree? Thats the Great Hollow.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Man, apparenty nobody wants to summon Halberd Dragon.

I tried to take a cool action shot but I just ended up looking like I had fallen over or like I was poledancing.

From what I understand, the dragon transformation doesn't actually show up when you go to summon someone, so you just look like naked beef jerky.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

See, I go to summon anyone I can if i'm in body form and need a hand. It doesn't matter what they look like, because of man mode. If you're naked, that just shows you respect it.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah, the less armor someone has, the more certain they know what they're doing.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The best thing about Dark Souls is that this is a viable way to play:

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Is there any reason why a wired X360 controller shouldn't work? Updated drivers, made sure it was plugged in before starting Dark Souls.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

It's what I use. Although the left bumper is a little weird sometimes, my shield flutters occasionally when I block but not if I hold it firmly.

Do I have to return my controller again or is it just a question of how I'm holding the button?

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

DerLeo posted:

Is there any reason why a wired X360 controller shouldn't work? Updated drivers, made sure it was plugged in before starting Dark Souls.

There can be conflicts if you have other peripherals also plugged in. I know I have to unplug my Logitech G13 when I play Dark Souls or else the game gets confused.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Pyromancer set with Boar helm is basically the sexiest outfit imo.

I'm now of the opinion that sorcery and miracles are stupid and you should just wear whatever and beat everything to death that you can't pyromance.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
I've been sunbroing artorias and kalameet and I'm really appreciating how good kalameet is. Artorias is a great fight one on one but like pretty much every other boss in the game he's trivial with two players, even if the other one is terrible. Not so with kalameet though! The only boss in the game that I can't regularly carry a bad player through, they always find a way to get themselves killed. My favourite observation is that so far everyone I've sunbroed who didn't know how to slide down the ladder has gotten themselves killed basically immediately.

I think kalameet may have surpassed O&S as my favourite sunbro fight!

I'm also using the leo ring for the first time with a BSS (and on another character who's a pure tarkus gimmick with the greatsword), it's tough to get the timing right but it's awesome when you get it and hit for the enormous >1000 damage you usually only see with criticals and sorcery.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Is there a shortcut to the blacksmith from the second bonfire in Anor Londo? I really, really, really don't feel like running all the way back to Andre to buy arrows.

If you have and can use the invisible body spell cast that and just walk right up to those rear end in a top hat archers and they'll never see you. I just discovered this was viable over the weekend. I waltzed right up to each knight and blasted them off their ledge and into oblivion with soul spear. It felt loving incredible.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

CaptCommy posted:

There can be conflicts if you have other peripherals also plugged in. I know I have to unplug my Logitech G13 when I play Dark Souls or else the game gets confused.

Would the mouse fix potentially mess with the recognition, or do I just have to unplug practically everything and start to see if it works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Sarkozymandias posted:

Pyromancer set with Boar helm is basically the sexiest outfit imo.
Boar helm, hollow soldier armor, pyromancer gauntlets/pants. Who run Bartertown?

• Locked thread