Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

Yeah, having a separate thread for newcomers might be a good idea. I think the majority of the people in here have already played it, and while having discussions about things that span the entirety of the game is fun, it seems like it'd be a minefield for people looking for help in the game without any other thread options.

I'm working on one now, although I'm not a great writer so if anyone else gets something done first, feel free to post it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I was planning to start up a P4G thread earlier but got distracted by shiny things (and I kinda suck at making OPs anyway), so go right ahead.

Just be sure to include this screenshot (sorry about the watermark):

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Hell, make that the subtitle- Persona 4 Golden: Your bowl is a portal to the Meat Dimension.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I think it’s silly to expect Kanji’s sexuality to be anything when the entire reason he had such conflict over what he was came from people thinking he must be homosexual because he liked to knit. Maybe it would have been better for him to be a strong homosexual character, but I think a “You don’t have to be stereotyped or defined by what you enjoy” message is equally as ground breaking for a JRPG.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

DeathBySpoon posted:

Hell, make that the subtitle- Persona 4 Golden: Your bowl is a portal to the Meat Dimension.

Persona 4 Golden: Portal to the Meat Dimension.

The first thing in the post is a picture of Kanji's shadow. :getin:

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Crabtree posted:

I think it’s silly to expect Kanji’s sexuality to be anything when the entire reason he had such conflict over what he was came from people thinking he must be homosexual because he liked to knit. Maybe it would have been better for him to be a strong homosexual character, but I think a “You don’t have to be stereotyped or defined by what you enjoy” message is equally as ground breaking for a JRPG.

Could just be that the point of his character was to subvert the player's feelings about him.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

klapman posted:

Persona 4 Golden: Portal to the Meat Dimension.

The first thing in the post is a picture of Kanji's shadow. :getin:

This is definitely what it has to be. Also, who just party wiped on the very very first boss? THIS GUY.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I washed my table and cleaned my Vita off and washed my hands and then peeled the skin off its backing and the sticky underside immediately attracted all the dust in the house to it. I was so careful to keep my work area clean, but I guess the air in my house is just full of dust. I blame the fireplace.

The screen looks pretty bad when the Vita is off, but if I turn it on I can't see any dust at all, so I don't think it's a big enough deal to peel the skin off and give up. I appreciate not immediately covering the entire thing in fingerprints as soon as I pick it up and try to play.

edit: actually, it's very noticeable now that I've got a really bright image behind it. Is there anything I can do about this, or do I just have accept that I hosed it up forever by trying to apply it in the world's dustiest house?

Hamsterlady fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 21, 2012

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I don't know if chie's new vo is really bad or if it's just me blowing it out of proportion, but she takes me out of the game almost every time she speaks.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

vanov posted:

Could just be that the point of his character was to subvert the player's feelings about him.

Which I think could have been done without the half-baked is he gay/not gay? shtick. To me, it's either go the whole nine yards (or halfway, and make him clearly bisexual, or at least bicurious) or don't. Sexual ambiguity is definitely difficult to pull off, and I don't think P4 did a successful job of it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Kanji was my favorite character, but I agree they should have had the balls to go all the way with his homosexuality. It would have been a great opportunity to have a well-written (well, hopefully well-written) gay character who wasn't a flamboyant stereotype, as well as not be defined by this difference and thus other-ized from the rest of the cast.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 21, 2012

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think the thing is that human sexuality isn't well defined. Six points on the Kinsey scale and all.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

PunkBoy posted:

It doesn't have to be the complete opposite. Everyone else who had a Shadow came to to terms that what their other side was saying had some form of truth behind it. A part of Saki did resent Yosuke, but that doesn't mean that's all she felt for him.

No, that is all she felt for him. That was not a shadow that was representing Saki's thoughts, those were her actual thoughts. She hated Yosuke's family because they ran the Junes that was putting her family's liquor store out of business. She hated Yosuke because not only did she have to see his face at her job everyday, it was a constant reminder that the place she worked at was destroying her family and this rear end in a top hat straight from the city whose family is responsible for it doesn't give anything resembling a drat and is just trying to hit on her. She hated Yosuke Hanamura and that was not exaggerated in the slightest, especially when the game even outright puts her giant argument with her father out there to emphasize how bad Junes was on the small town businesses.

Now that I'm done posting words about one fictional character's disgust for another fictional character, I have to say the game is a bit nicer but holy poo poo, even abusing the skip scene function is still taking this game nearly an hour to get me in full control, this opening is the worst loving part of the game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Now that I'm done posting words about one fictional character's disgust for another fictional character, I have to say the game is a bit nicer but holy poo poo, even abusing the skip scene function is still taking this game nearly an hour to get me in full control, this opening is the worst loving part of the game.
The on-rails segment at the beginning of every game is the worst part of the game. The only variable to my enjoyment is how short it is. And yet they keep getting longer and longer...

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
oh god all the test and school answers are different :(

but I will always remember what time of day is the time robbers are most likely to break in. :911:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

While we're on the issue of sexuality in characters how many people fully expected (early game speculation that never happens)Chie to be in love with Yukiko? I mean their shadows both even hint at something between them and after seeing Kanji and Naoto's struggles I was really surprised nothing came of their thing.

Capsaicin posted:

oh god all the test and school answers are different :(

but I will always remember what time of day is the time robbers are most likely to break in. :911:

This is sounding a lot more like Persona 4:FES than I was expecting, nice.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

While we're on the issue of sexuality in characters how many people fully expected (early game speculation that never happens)Chie to be in love with Yukiko? I mean their shadows both even hint at something between them and after seeing Kanji and Naoto's struggles I was really surprised nothing came of their thing.

The main character wouldn't be able to hit it if that happened.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

What's supposed to come of it? Kanji's incredibly awkward and Naoto really doesn't think much of him. Them both having problems with with identities doesn't inherently mean they're going to gravitate towards one another, if anything that's one of the more realistic things in the game... especially since Kanji seems to stop caring come the last months of the game.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Strange Quark posted:

I think the thing is that human sexuality isn't well defined. Six points on the Kinsey scale and all.

It is and it isn't. The Kinsey scale has its own flaws, but some people can be 100% heterosexual, 100% homosexual, or even 100% bisexual. But most people fall somewhere in-between, given the situation, or, most likely, the level of intoxication/strength of one's inhibitions.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sex_Ferguson posted:

What's supposed to come of it? Kanji's incredibly awkward and Naoto really doesn't think much of him. Them both having problems with with identities doesn't inherently mean they're going to gravitate towards one another, if anything that's one of the more realistic things in the game... especially since Kanji seems to stop caring come the last months of the game.

Oh I phrased that badly. Kanji struggled with sexuality on his own, Naoto struggled with gender identity on her own for a bunch of reasons, Rise's dungeon was a drat stripclub and she saw herself as a sex object. I thought the gender/sexuality issues were going to extend to every character.

The game seemed like it were going to look into Chie and Yukiko's relationship under that lens at one point but it got brushed aside for whatever reason. Also in Persona 4 Arena some of the characters tease Chie about how she's not a real woman, she's too manly etc etc... looking at how the other characters played out in Persona 4 it's REALLY surprising they didn't focus on that more.

Edit: Actually I'm gonna have to pay closer attention when I play through P4Golden, I might be overstating how important sex was to the story.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Nov 21, 2012

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I agree somewhat, but I only felt that way after the whole Chie/Yukiko encounter. After that, every character you recruit has something to do with sexuality. Teddy doesn't count because I hate him.

Also Chie too many, really? I would barely even call her a tomboy.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Sex_Ferguson posted:

No, that is all she felt for him. That was not a shadow that was representing Saki's thoughts, those were her actual thoughts. She hated Yosuke's family because they ran the Junes that was putting her family's liquor store out of business. She hated Yosuke because not only did she have to see his face at her job everyday, it was a constant reminder that the place she worked at was destroying her family and this rear end in a top hat straight from the city whose family is responsible for it doesn't give anything resembling a drat and is just trying to hit on her. She hated Yosuke Hanamura and that was not exaggerated in the slightest, especially when the game even outright puts her giant argument with her father out there to emphasize how bad Junes was on the small town businesses.

They're her real thoughts, but like other shadows, they're her real thoughts exaggerated to absurd levels. It seems likely that Saki did think Yosuke was pretty annoying- and hell, she even says as much when she's introduced in the game's intro- but that doesn't mean she outright hated the guy or anything.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

This look good for an OP? http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=9197

e: For some reason I can't see half the pictures anymore. Is this on my end?

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 21, 2012

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If you're looking for homosexuality in a game just get Persona 2 because whoh-boy.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Radish posted:

If you're looking for homosexuality in a game just get Persona 2 because whoh-boy.

Fun part is, I'm not sure which character you're talking about!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

That answers all the questions I had about what they changed, especially new party member skillsets. I'd say go for it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

King of Solomon posted:

They're her real thoughts, but like other shadows, they're her real thoughts exaggerated to absurd levels. It seems likely that Saki did think Yosuke was pretty annoying- and hell, she even says as much when she's introduced in the game's intro- but that doesn't mean she outright hated the guy or anything.

It wasn't a shadow. A representation of her did not pop out and say those things, those were her actual thoughts. It's a lot like when you hear the other characters' thoughts in the other dungeons, those are far less outrageous than the actual Shadow of the character and more realistic, except Naoto's for obvious reasons. Hell, even Nanako had them and they were hardly anything like the shadows.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Radish posted:

Anyone who didn't pick Jun is a loser :colbert:.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It wasn't a shadow. A representation of her did not pop out and say those things, those were her actual thoughts. It's a lot like when you hear the other characters' thoughts in the other dungeons, those are far less outrageous than the actual Shadow of the character and more realistic, except Naoto's for obvious reasons. Hell, even Nanako had them and they were hardly anything like the shadows.

The real girl is dead. That was her shadow.

EDIT: To specify further. Even if that's not her shadow, the thoughts that you hear in dungeons are all the intensely negative things that people think about themselves and the people around them, so that doesn't necessarily mean that she hates Yosuke. Just that she thinks he can be a pain in the rear end.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Nov 21, 2012

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

King of Solomon posted:

The real girl is dead. That was her shadow.

No it was not, throughout the game the area reveals more of the person's thoughts. Beyond the fact that that alone is proof of that not being her shadow you actually hear a conversation she has with her father which shows the strain that Junes was putting on her family. This is very much more likely a product of the world created by their minds rather than the shadow's doing since the shadow is meant to be the problem taken to an extreme, the world is meant to be a symbolic representation and the thoughts that are displayed throughout the dungeon are very much the real thoughts of the person.

This didn't change when later shown throughout the game, why is it going to be any different for Saki? Especially when Nanako was never shown to have had a shadow yet her thoughts were on display?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
If she was dead, wouldn't her shadow be too? They make a whole point about them being the same person, afteral.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The thread for Golden is up: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3518546

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Cityinthesea posted:

Anyone who didn't pick Jun is a loser :colbert:.

You mean there are people who didn't? Pfft, yeah right.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

This is pretty silly and not just from a Japanese vs Western perspective. Different cultures don't necessarily enjoy the same things. Even different people from the same country enjoy different things. Not trying to figure out your target audience is silly because there are different gameplay philosophies which are equally valid but mutually distinctive.

Gameplay isn't something that can be "good" or "bad" with no in-between. Design decisions that work for one person can be utterly ruinous for another. Understanding who is going to buy your game, and why, and understanding that may render it unsellable to other people is part of designing a game. This game even include basic visual design decisions, which are hard enough to get right without going cross-cultural.

Not to mention the implication that any game that is good sells well is disprovable even just within the country of origin. How many cult hits are there which sold like utter crap despite rave reviews and plenty of stock?

I meant that a good game will have appeal across cultures, and that targeting a game to a foreign game market, wont mean the game will sell well in that market. Developers should focus on making good games above all. You are right that good games do not automatically sell well and that plenty of bad games sell well, I didn't meant to imply any different.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sex_Ferguson posted:

This didn't change when later shown throughout the game, why is it going to be any different for Saki? Especially when Nanako was never shown to have had a shadow yet her thoughts were on display?
The team also never explored a world that had already had its inhabitant killed. I don't think it's unreasonable that after the real one died, the shadow was effectively the one blasting its thoughts around. And in the end, the shadow IS the real person too even if exaggerated. Saki did hate Yosuke on some level, I just don't think that's all there was to their relationship.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Technique posted:

You mean there are people who didn't? Pfft, yeah right.

I liked Lisa :sweatdrop:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Radish posted:

I liked Lisa :sweatdrop:

Well now i'm just incredibly disappointed.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Is there any reason to play Innocent Sin on the PS1 with the translation patch instead of the PSP remake? I'm looking for something to jump into after I'm done with Golden, but I don't know if Innocent Sin has any sort of feature divide like P3: FES and P3P did.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Cirosan posted:

Is there any reason to play Innocent Sin on the PS1 with the translation patch instead of the PSP remake? I'm looking for something to jump into after I'm done with Golden, but I don't know if Innocent Sin has any sort of feature divide like P3: FES and P3P did.

I think the PSP version has a few new story lines/ side quests and supposedly higher difficulty, but considering I managed to get through over half of the original using the starting Personas and a Pixie that's not saying much

Also Jun for life. Scaring demons with the power of homophobia. Though I was surprised they actually let you pick him instead of making him a joke option like with Eikeichi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Cirosan posted:

Do you hate loading times? Because the PSP remake has a ton of loading times. It also both streamlined and made the battle system more awkward, so it's a bit of a toss up there.

I'd still probably go with the remake, because it's quite a bit more polished. Though under that it's still a 90s JRPG, so don't get your expectations up too high. Get ready for random encounters.