Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Captain Log posted:

Son.of a bitch. Two possible months of having to let my potato out of the cage to use the bathroom.

She has been getting very little shoulder time due to the runny "I'm laying eggs" monster farty dumps she is taking. Last night I let her out for a while. She hadn't pooped and decided to try and fly to me. She already flies like a fat kid running down stairs (Badly.) I held out my perch finger and at the last minute, with all her might, she pulled up like a 747 being piloted by cocained out Denzel Washington.

From here, all her strength was gone. She quickly careened downwards and away from me and gently binked into a wall and fell to the carpet. By the time I got to her, she was confused and her point of impact was covered with massive momma dump.

I at least think she realized in mid flight, "DON'T CRAP ON FOOD/SCRITCH BRINGER!" and bailed with the last of her strength.

This post made me laugh out loud, poor Wandy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Some of you guys post about taking your birds in the shower, or how much they love to be in the bathroom etc.

We bring ritz into the bathroom, this is all we get.

:catstare:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Haha, that's how Ohtori is with the towels too. He scolds you if you take them away, even if it's to use them. The rest of the time is spent trying to either mate with or avoid Steve, hunting for toothpaste, and coming into the shower either to bitch or actually bathe.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Poor Steve and Ohtori. Will they ever surmount the taboos of a same-sex interspecies relationship and give in to their love for each other?

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Oh my god cockatiels are weird, I just did a very through cleaning of their cages today, and Cheeky just stood there for five minutes screaming at his cage. :stare:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

This post made me laugh out loud, poor Wandy!

I blame her change on us moving from Nashville (cool)to Kansas (corn.)

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Amaya and I have been pretty sick over the past few days and we've done our best to isolate the birds but now Marceline is sneezing a lot and having some liquid poo. She's being really cuddly though and all but with it being Thanksgiving everything is closed so now I'm freaking out on what to do.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Keep her warm and cozy, I hope she feels better!

I painted my friend's cockatoo for a x-mas present and I am really proud of how it turned out, so I figured I'd share with my bird-crazy bros.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

That's fantastic! Now I want to commission you for a painting of Amadeus and Rosy. :3:

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

I saw "painted my friend's cockatoo" and thought it'd dyed itself after dunking a colored toy in the water. Chiyo spent a week being a solid pink before I started zip-tying that stuff down.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Does anyone else here daydream about getting a flock of white budgies and dyeing them all different colors with kool-aid?

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...

Pile of Kittens posted:

Does anyone else here daydream about getting a flock of white budgies and dyeing them all different colors with kool-aid?

Well, now I do. I'll have to let my husband know in time for Christmas. Or Hannukah, he could give me one for each day.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

mjs6643 posted:

Poor Steve and Ohtori. Will they ever surmount the taboos of a same-sex interspecies relationship and give in to their love for each other?

It would never work out. Steve is looking for someone special to take long, romantic naps on the bookshelf with, while Ohtori is still maturing and after something more casual. Maybe when he's older, he'll realise the right potato was in front of him all along.

Pip pip pip posted:

Keep her warm and cozy, I hope she feels better!

I painted my friend's cockatoo for a x-mas present and I am really proud of how it turned out, so I figured I'd share with my bird-crazy bros.

Wanna pet dat burd. Looks great!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Pile of Kittens posted:

I constantly have dreams that start out with my birds and then by the end of the dream I'm running around my apartment with 300 parrots screaming while I desperately try to fashion makeshift cages.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks guys :)

I had a dream the other night that Nugget was standing in some wet yellow paint and by the time I got to her it had dried and she was stuck to the counter. :ohdear:

Jinxie Monroe
Apr 9, 2007

No really.
Thank you.

Pile of Kittens posted:

I have a white budgie and now my husband is determined to dye the poor little dude via a spray bottle and food coloring. At least our other budgie will be spared the indignity since she's blue.

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
I've dyed a cat with kool-aid to match my hair before. Now I need to see a blue and pink budgie. You could use several spray bottles with different colors and name the budgie Jackson Pollock.

Happy Turkey Day for all you US bird crazies. What better to be thankful for than a bean the size of you?

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
I brought Amigo down with me for thanksgiving yesterday (Ozzie was being moody, so I left her alone for the time being).

My grandmother kept trying to give him bits out of the salad, but he just glared and squawked at her. He's like 12 years old, and he still won't eat his veggies. He loved the bit of turkey she gave him though, even if he did throw pieces of it everywhere while he snacked on it.

Wanted to give him some mashed potatoes too since he loves those, but people started coming over, and he gets agitated with large numbers of people.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Steve decided to molt again. It seems like every time he moves, feathers come out. He's dropped a few wing/tail feathers already which are nice, and kept. Does anyone make or do anything with the feathers that they keep?

So Ohtori has managed without his Happy Hut during the day for a few weeks now, and I guess there is a noticable difference. He's more willing to sit in my hand and be petted, rather than only allowing it while laid on his back. He even comes over and sits on my shoulder occasionally, though for short periods only, and snuggled in my hood once for about ten minutes. Apparently also he's biting my partner's neck less, and while he's still chasing Steve and posturing etc there seems to be a slight increase in the aggression involved?

Finally, to put it bluntly, he's not masturbating all the time anymore. Since the hut gets removed during the day he can't use it for that, and he doesn't seem to have redirected to anything else.

However this morning I overslept a bit, and woke up to the sound of a conure making sweet, sweet love to his hut while regurgitating for a toy. :stonk:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I guess I just got lucky with Amadeus. I've never caught him masturbating and he only regurgitated for me once, a couple years ago. Maybe all the attention and cuddling I give him cuts down on hormonal impulses? I've had him since he was a juvenile, going on three years now.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

So $234, a choanal swab, nasal saline flush and bacterial culture later, Ritz has some sort of sinus infection. We'll have results Tuesday, but the doc started him on Baytril in the mean time.

Bummer :smith:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Argh. I just gave Novolo a tiny sip of ginger ale, and she shook her head and sprayed it right in the eye. Ow.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
I have a friend who has finches and I am wanting to get them a gift. I have no idea. What do finches like? Maybe a small shredding toy? What kind of a treat can I give them? I want something non-seed, because I don't know if they are on a not junk food diet.

Chicken in Black
May 22, 2005

So lovely

Captain Log posted:

Broody potato

I know that if you have a broody chicken that you can sometimes snap her out of it by lowering her temperature. In the winter if one of my sister's hens goes setty she'll toss her out of the coop into the snow for a few minutes; it sounds mean but it normally works. It's something like the hen realizing 'oh hey, this loving snow will really suck for my chickies'. Sometimes it might take two or three repeats. It's a lot better than having a setty hen in a coop for a month or so in the winter. In warmer weather I've heard of using a pail of cool water and holding the hen in it a few minutes, so that her chest and belly are cooled. The big thing is to cool her brood patch to try to trigger an end to being setty. Only one hen, an evil banty that was super mommy, wouldn't come out of it, or if she did she'd go setty again in a few days.

I suppose something similar might work on your potato? Not really cold water, but maybe towel her and use a cool washcloth on her belly for a few minutes. I imagine this will be a source of incredible mommy rage, but the mental picture I see is drat funny.

Official Bizness posted:

Lovebird monster baby

Aww, lovebirds are the bestest :3:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

KillerChicken posted:

I know that if you have a broody chicken that you can sometimes snap her out of it by lowering her temperature. In the winter if one of my sister's hens goes setty she'll toss her out of the coop into the snow for a few minutes; it sounds mean but it normally works. It's something like the hen realizing 'oh hey, this loving snow will really suck for my chickies'. Sometimes it might take two or three repeats. It's a lot better than having a setty hen in a coop for a month or so in the winter. In warmer weather I've heard of using a pail of cool water and holding the hen in it a few minutes, so that her chest and belly are cooled. The big thing is to cool her brood patch to try to trigger an end to being setty. Only one hen, an evil banty that was super mommy, wouldn't come out of it, or if she did she'd go setty again in a few days.

I suppose something similar might work on your potato? Not really cold water, but maybe towel her and use a cool washcloth on her belly for a few minutes. I imagine this will be a source of incredible mommy rage, but the mental picture I see is drat funny.

Aww, lovebirds are the bestest :3:

She is too derp to get rage when she should. Like the time I removed two eggs from her while she watched. I caught her spending the next two hours calmly searching the bottom of her cage for them. Her method was to lower her beak a few centimeters from the cage liner, and then shuffle around doing a very "special" version of a grid search. (Shuffle around not looking up until she hits something.)

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I'm not entirely convinced you can teach a cockatiel anything. All the youtube videos are just clever edits. Isn't that right Steve?

He seems to have only three modes-default off mode, where he's napping/sleeping/just sat staring into space; cuddly mode, where he puts his head against anything in a desperate attempt to be petted; mean mode, where he bites for even the smallest offenses... and he bites hard. He bites harder than Ohtori, and breaks the skin when possible. It's not just for, say, when he's being handled to get his nails done either-he'll break skin for you attempting to get him to step up, moments after he was begging for pets.

SaNChEzZ posted:

So $234, a choanal swab, nasal saline flush and bacterial culture later, Ritz has some sort of sinus infection. We'll have results Tuesday, but the doc started him on Baytril in the mean time.

Bummer :smith:

Get well soon Ritz!

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

I have a friend who has finches and I am wanting to get them a gift. I have no idea. What do finches like? Maybe a small shredding toy? What kind of a treat can I give them? I want something non-seed, because I don't know if they are on a not junk food diet.

Mine never really played with toys, maybe beaked a jingly bell now and then but that was it. They mostly liked picking up sticks and poorly attempting to build nests, and sitting on a swing while singing, or taking baths. Maybe a nice branch perch with multiple offshooting parts? Or one of those wreath style perches with lots of things to peck and poke at attached? Depending on cage size. As for food, mealworms maybe?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

What type of finches? Most species of finches kept as pets only eat incidental insects like aphids, primarily eating vegetation, and others are primarily seed-eaters. The house finches and zebra finches I've had in the past wouldn't have been terribly interested in mealworms. They'll eat smaller insects, mostly various types of pupae, but otherwise, they're not a huge part of their diet at all.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
I think they are society? I don't know if I want to get nesting material because I don't know if she wants to encourage breeding. Hmm, finches are hard to buy for.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Society finches primarily eat seeds, fruits, vegetables, and leafy greens. I've known some that will eat tiny live insects, and pupae, but I'd lean more towards millet based treats, or a fruit and veggie mix.

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

I need to stop going to pet stores.

Today we went out for dinner and a movie and stuff and had some time. There's a petsmart and petco really close to each other so we thought we'd go look at the birds or if there were some toys on sale or treats, you know, just killing time. Well we went to the petsmart and I wanted to cry.

This poor bird's feathers were disgusting, it had like three toys that were all clumped ontop of each other and the perch you see it sitting on, and that's all. It was fed a lovely mix of seeds and a couple pellets. It was missing a toenail completely and only had two or three tail feathers, the rest were broke off or preened and plucked till only the center 'stem' or whatever remained. I wanted to break the glass and steal it and nurse it back to health :(

I'm sad, bird crazies, and my babies are in bed so I can't cuddle them. I hate that pet stores can put birds in conditions like this and completely get away with it. I hope someone decent buys this bird and gives it a good life :(

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I hope they go out of business, or at least decide that birds are not worth the effort and stop keeping them, and end up giving that bird away to someone at the end of it.

(If I sound bitter, I just had to resist an adorable pineapple mutation green cheek that I desperately want, and who was apparently super sweet. I didn't even want to go into the store, lest I end up buying her)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I have discovered a new past time that I didn't realize existed until yesterday. When Wandy gets up to eat/mamma crap/derp I move her eggs around. When she returns she spends time rolling the eggs back to her area. Then, once all eggs are near her (four in total) commence trying not to laugh hysterically as she spends between five and thirty minutes trying to fit them all under her without knocking others out. It's like watching a three year old try to play Tetris.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Amaya posted:

This poor bird's feathers were disgusting, it had like three toys that were all clumped ontop of each other and the perch you see it sitting on, and that's all. It was fed a lovely mix of seeds and a couple pellets. It was missing a toenail completely and only had two or three tail feathers, the rest were broke off or preened and plucked till only the center 'stem' or whatever remained. I wanted to break the glass and steal it and nurse it back to health :(

I'm sad, bird crazies, and my babies are in bed so I can't cuddle them. I hate that pet stores can put birds in conditions like this and completely get away with it. I hope someone decent buys this bird and gives it a good life :(

Poor bird. The store I mentioned not long ago, where we got that food mix I made a photo dump of from, had the birds in worse condition than that GCC. It's sad when you write something like that and I think "at least it had toys", when standards are just that low.

Captain Log posted:

I have discovered a new past time that I didn't realize existed until yesterday. When Wandy gets up to eat/mamma crap/derp I move her eggs around. When she returns she spends time rolling the eggs back to her area. Then, once all eggs are near her (four in total) commence trying not to laugh hysterically as she spends between five and thirty minutes trying to fit them all under her without knocking others out. It's like watching a three year old try to play Tetris.

Aww, it sounds like she tries so hard :derptiel:

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Battle Pigeon posted:

Poor bird. The store I mentioned not long ago, where we got that food mix I made a photo dump of from, had the birds in worse condition than that GCC. It's sad when you write something like that and I think "at least it had toys", when standards are just that low.

They were toys that were meant for larger birds and didn't look like they'd been played with at all. It was also sad because it was a long, low cage with one perch in it. Maybe I should look at adopting a bird or at least keeping one for a while. I tried before and the places near here had really high standards but maybe they'll be more alright with it when I mention I've had mine for a good while now. My heart breaks itself in half when I see birds in bad situations, it would be awesome to give one a good home or help an unruly bird be able to be adopted out.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

That sounds like the exact situation I found Amadeus in -- only he didn't even have toys in his cage. :( Single perch, some millet lying on the tank floor (it wasn't even a cage, it was a plastic tank), a cup of seeds. Against my better instincts I made a 400 dollar pet store impulse buy and, well, now I have a conure who greets me every time I walk in the door with dozens of kisses and happy murmurs of "pretty bird, good boy."

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm actually pretty furious over a conversation with an animal cruelty awareness supporter who said birds weren't being harmed in pet stores and that the real abuse comes from dogs/cats being mistreated.

Zomodok fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Nov 26, 2012

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

My husband actually posted something similar in the last Bird Crazies thread circa 2009 when we still lived in Atlanta. He stopped in a pet store that had birds while I was out and he was absolutely livid at what he saw. He called animal control and a bunch of different news stations. I don't think AC ever really said they were going to do anything about it :( One of the news station reporters replied to him asking for more information about birds and how to spot abuse/neglect and we wrote up this big essay about it. The reporter said he also contacted AC about it but that was the last we ever heard of it. Didn't ever have the heart to go back there to see if maybe things improved.

It seems that the best we can do about lovely pet stores is to not give them our business and keep trying to report them.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
We get calls every day from people that "rescued" animals from bad stores and now want us to rescue the animals from them. I hate to tell people, but it's better if the animal dies in store and the store owner figures out he or she can't make a profit off them. Oh well.

One of these things does not belong!

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

In the afternoon I opened the cage door for Steve, for him to come out and hang on the chair or shelf if he felt like it. He stared at me, fluffed up, and went to sleep where it was sitting. That was hours ago, the door is still open, and he hasn't moved since. :derptiel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

That's a good potato.