Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Took NG900 out for a quick run after a couple days of being ignored. It doesn't stumble, but it certainly doesn't appreciate the cold, either. Noticed a little rattle in the drivers' door. Bet that one piece of plastic that holds the lock mechanism in popped out again. Not going to tackle that in 40 degree weather + rain. In fact, this drat car shouldn't even be here by now..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Blower motor in NG900 started getting noisy and smelling today. Guess I should replace the filter and see just what sort of evil has made its' way into there.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!
What are your thoughts on a 2001 Saab 9-5 SE wagon with the 3.0 turbo? It had the engine and tranny rebuilt at 152k and it now has 182k. The seller claims that it has no sludging issues and that ths radiator and idle pulley were replaced at 182k. They're asking $2,100. Should I run away? How are parts availability on these? Thanks!

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Francis Baconator posted:

What are your thoughts on a 2001 Saab 9-5 SE wagon with the 3.0 turbo?

No. No. NO. NO!

Even if it has had the oil cooler replaced already, the 3.0t was an expensive turd. If they've replaced the radiator, that is (usually) a misdiagnosis for a hosed oil cooler after they do the HG. 30k is long enough for it to be hosed again, if it wasn't maintained. You do not want this car.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thank you! :D

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Another odd thing is how the turbo is asymmetrical.. yes, it runs only off one side.

It has the same G17 that the 2.3t has. It really was a GM-hands-in-it bodge from the Opel line.

I saw a beautiful one, and I really wanted it, but I knew better. Stick with the B2xx H Engines, and you'll be fine so long as you replace aging hoses, plastic, and other consumables.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 20, 2012

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

Francis Baconator posted:

The seller claims that it has no sludging issues

The 54° v6 doesn't have the sludging issue, it just has the "terrible" issue.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
My 2.3t non-aero 9-5 (B235 E) has had a boost gauge added. The previous owner works/worked at a Saab shop, that probably helped a bit. He also added Aero brakes and skirts, but he didn't touch the turbo or engine, as far as I know.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
My B235E also had a turbo gauge.
2002, had "LINEAR" on the door sills. Not an aero.

In mine, the turbo died and it ate all its oil. When the guy sold it to me, it had a new turbo, but would get oil light flickering after 30 minutes of driving, at low idle. This happened to me on my way home from buying it at the border lineup, 200 miles away.

When they do that, its the big end bearings, and its unfixable. No one has been able to put new bearings in and have the engine live. I replaced it with a wrecker engine and some relatives are still driving it today, this happened at 120k miles. It will need new shocks etc soon, at 170k miles.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

NFX posted:

My 2.3t non-aero 9-5 (B235 E) has had a boost gauge added. The previous owner works/worked at a Saab shop, that probably helped a bit. He also added Aero brakes and skirts, but he didn't touch the turbo or engine, as far as I know.

It is possible to do, it's just not usually probable due to time and expense for non-mechanics to do it.

blindjoe posted:

My B235E also had a turbo gauge.
2002, had "LINEAR" on the door sills. Not an aero.

That's a 2002, though, not a 2001. :confused:

(Oh, I see I was unclear above, nevermind)

Rolled over 188,000 on the B235E (all original, baby, except new turbo and consumables) on the trip back from here. Them trees be big.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well, not getting any takers on the Crown Vic so it looks like a SAAB or Mazda wagon will not be in the near future unless I sell it before I get my tax return, at which point I'll say gently caress it and just fix everything that it needs.

Crown Vics are a niche market these days :(

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

leica posted:

Well, not getting any takers on the Crown Vic so it looks like a SAAB or Mazda wagon will not be in the near future unless I sell it before I get my tax return, at which point I'll say gently caress it and just fix everything that it needs.

This is not AI.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I suppose I could force someone to buy it by gunpoint.

It's a great car, it's just to the point where I need to put money into it, or sell it and get something else that's a little newer with less miles, needs less or nothing at all.

Getting the Vic to where it needs to be won't increase the value so if I do that I'll be keeping it for another 100k.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

leica posted:

Getting the Vic to where it needs to be won't increase the value so if I do that I'll be keeping it for another 100k.

Slap some wood grain laminate on the side, and sell it as a station wagon.

I actually looked at a C900 two, three years ago where someone did this to the hood of their car, like a 'reverse teak' cover. That poor, poor car.

fnif
Apr 21, 2007
xDm
Oh look what I got last weekend

This'll be one long project.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

fnif posted:

Oh look what I got last weekend

That's a beautiful car. I look forward to more pictures - the color is gorgeous.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

fnif posted:

Please tell me she is a 2 cycle... Please. Pretty please?

fnif
Apr 21, 2007
xDm

Viggen posted:

Please tell me she is a 2 cycle... Please. Pretty please?

Sorry, it's the 4 stroke V4 engine.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

leica posted:

I suppose I could force someone to buy it by gunpoint.

Have you been talking to Ultimateforce?

Viggen - Hearing/reading the vehemence in which you push against the v6's - I'm curious about the difference between those and the turbox you have - wouldn't those be the same/similar?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

My 99 9-5 has the 3.0l v-6 and it runs like a champ even with 165k on the odo. I do everything at the correct interval though. The turbo 4 cyl between 99-02 I hear sludges something fierce, also they had major DIC problems. I haven't had to change either one of the DIC's out on mine. The only downside is all the extra bells and whistles crap that tends to break. Also, it's an older Saab so I'm getting into fixing things at a lesser interval territory. It was once every 6 months, then 5, now I'm at 3 months between issues.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

ssjonizuka posted:

Viggen - Hearing/reading the vehemence in which you push against the v6's - I'm curious about the difference between those and the turbox you have - wouldn't those be the same/similar?

Yes, and no. The 3.0 is not the 2.8. I'm mostly against the 3.0 because it is old, it is known to be quite expensive in maintenance, and it is an asymmetrical turbo setup. Granted, the 2.8 is shoehorned into the 93SS chassis with NO wiggle room, but it isn't the 3.0.

Some people have had very good luck with well-maintained 3.0s; I just refuse to suggest them as a first SAAB, or a fixer-upper. The parts and time alone will cost at least that of the car if it has even 'seemingly minor' issues much of the time.

keykey posted:

The turbo 4 cyl between 99-02 I hear sludges something fierce, also they had major DIC problems. I haven't had to change either one of the DIC's out on mine [...] It was once every 6 months, then 5, now I'm at 3 months between issues.

The first statements are, but are not completely accurate. There were some bad DIC/IDM units which prematurely failed, and if you didn't change your oil often enough, you could sludge them and kill them. Most of those sludged are dead by now, but people pick up good cars and just do't realize that there is maintenance to be performed.. SAAB is one that you NEED to keep up on things. My 2000 had a PCV#3 update, and it was sucking the oil pretty hard. Thankfully, I was able to identify that, or it would have been dead before 2010.

I'd be interested to hear what your issues are.. I have done virtually work on my 2000 in the last year, other than tires and filters. My SID2 display is a little flakey when it gets warm, but that's not really an 'issue'.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Viggen posted:

I'd be interested to hear what your issues are.. I have done virtually work on my 2000 in the last year, other than tires and filters. My SID2 display is a little flakey when it gets warm, but that's not really an 'issue'.

Like I said, most of the issues I've had are not reliability based. I have had to change out a CPS which was really the only reliability issue, well that and now I have to change out the heater core which is essential given a central valley winter. Other than that, it's been a blower motor, SID and climate control screen, all but 1 window roller, I had to unfuck the radio wiring which isn't by any means Saab's fault but the previous owner. Also, I've changed the batteries in the theft alarm module twice before just taking it out and not caring that it doesn't have an alarm because it would go off at all hours of the night. The only issue with that is every time I get in, I have to hit clear on the SID because I get a "service theft alarm" message. I do after hours network/workstation work for a GM service center and they've offered to clear it with their tech 2, but nobody knows how to find the switch to kick that off. I've replaced most of the speakers, it's the 9 speaker Harman Kardon setup, again probably previous owner stereo abuse. I've changed all shock absorbers (normal wear and tear). As of 3 months ago, the key hole doesn't spring from start back to on, so when I get in I just turn it and when I hear the engine start, I manually turn it back to on. I honestly don't even notice that any more until I just typed it out. Obviously there's normal wear items like changing oil/filter every 3k miles, radiator flush every 30k, timing belt every 60k which I do myself since I found the tool on e-bay for $40. When I change the timing belt, I also just change out the water pump on general principle since I'm in there anyway and I don't want to have any issues that would cause me to have to tear it down again.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

keykey posted:

Like I said, most of the issues I've had are not reliability based.

Sounds like a perviously-owned SAAB to me. AFAIK, you can't disable the STA via Tech2 for older builds.. have you made sure you have the latest T7 firmware, BTW? My 4 was choking like hell on ethanol until I got the most-recent build. It still doesn't like most of them, but it runs.

You really need to find the 'proper' battery for the alarm, or it continues to die at an incredible rate. There are tons of 'I used this' with no followup. Joes' seems to be the most reliable battery so far.

Pop the cover off of your ignition cylinder and liberally spray with graphite lube and work it back and forth a few dozen times after pulling the battery. I kept mine going for nearly another year just by doing that every few months - while waiting for a new cylinder.

I don't usually do the oil every 3k, but I don't have a 3.0, either. V:q:V

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really
People mainly hate the 3.0 v6 because it's halfassed and has no reason to exist, the b204-5/234-5 are better engines.

The block is 54 degrees for some stupid packaging reason, it's a weak block prone to oil leakage (from the valve covers for example) and can't take any substantial boost, it only has 3.6 psi of boost and anything more is asking for trouble. The b205 made more hp from a litre less, nevermind the b235 that made 60hp more from .7 litres less.

It uses a timing belt unlike all other saabs ever made (with the exception of the rebadged 600/lancia delta and 9-2x/wrx), even worse the timing belt tensioner is known to be unreliable necessitating changes every 30k miles.

It's just not an engine to be proud of, unlike an H engine or even an ecotec/HFV6.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

^^^ funfact: the 3.0l engine they use the 9-5 is also the engine they use in the "Cadillac" Catera except they added a half assed turbo to the Saab. The window rollers? Yup, interchangeable with the Catera too. The CPS? Same deal there.. You can steal a lot of parts for a 9-5 off a Catera.

Viggen posted:

I don't usually do the oil every 3k, but I don't have a 3.0, either. V:q:V

I realize the engine calls for 5k, but I just do it out of habit at 3k because I've been doing oil changes on vehicles since '87 and 3k was the rule back then. I only use synthetic in the engine since that's what it calls for.

keykey fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 27, 2012

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

keykey posted:

^^^ funfact: the 3.0l engine they use the 9-5 is also the engine they use in the "Cadillac" Catera except they added a half assed turbo to the Saab. The window rollers? Yup, interchangeable with the Catera too. The CPS? Same deal there.. You can steal a lot of parts for a 9-5 off a Catera.

Yes, I know, and they recalled the catera because of the timing belt tensioner :v:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

astropika posted:

Yes, I know, and they recalled the catera because of the timing belt tensioner :v:

Yup, that's why you get aftermarket! :haw:

edit: All said and done, if maintained correctly, it's actually not a bad engine. People just driving the piss out of it without proper maintenance is what gave it a bad name. Same with 2.8l v-6 engine the Camaro had, I got roughly 280k out of it before I sold it, the people after me drove it for another 50k until they got in a wreck and it was a TL.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

keykey posted:

Yup, that's why you get aftermarket! :haw:

edit: All said and done, if maintained correctly, it's actually not a bad engine. People just driving the piss out of it without proper maintenance is what gave it a bad name. Same with 2.8l v-6 engine the Camaro had, I got roughly 280k out of it before I sold it, the people after me drove it for another 50k until they got in a wreck and it was a TL.

But you can say that about essentially any engine, the worst engines in the world will stay running with over the top maintenance, people shouldn't have to expect to change their timing belt every 30k.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
If one can digress into philosophical debate - the V6 was an answer to a question that wasn't actually asked. As I see it, GM was trying to take on other perceived luxury cars, many of whom offered V6. They decided to toss the 54o in so they could claim they had a V6 for those who didn't understand that the B2[0|3][4|5] was an altogether better engine.

As already noted, the asymmetrical turbo setup was abysmal, and it was really just a bad idea. The 3.0 V6s that are left are 10(+) years old, and have either been brilliantly maintained, or are running on borrowed time every other Sunday that they get taken out. I have yet to see a V6 that doesn't fall into one of those states.

Plus, I just really like the H - I'll admit that I'm biased.

--

On the trip back from the Redwoods, I parked two spots away from a 2001 95 SE (3.0) at a rest stop. Same silver, stock wheels, etc. I ran into the bathroom while the owner chatted with my passenger.

Evidently, he asked the passenger "What year is your SAAB?" - she thought he said "What year (how old) are your dogs?" Her reply was "I don't know, they were all rescues. This one was found abandoned beside the highway." :3:

He had 130k on his car, 40k on his replacement 3.0. Turbo was 20k old.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 27, 2012

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

astropika posted:

But you can say that about essentially any engine, the worst engines in the world will stay running with over the top maintenance, people shouldn't have to expect to change their timing belt every 30k.

I haven't had an issue with the 60k interval yet, granted I've only had to change it once and I have a stack of Saab dealer maintained service records that came with the car that take up 2 manila folders. Which segways us into...

Viggen posted:

The 3.0 V6s that are left are 10(+) years old, and have either been brilliantly maintained, or are running on borrowed time every other Sunday that they get taken out.

This is a universal truth of the 3.0t's. Mine is 13 years old and fortunately I have the former of the two which would explain no engine failure or major issues.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Yesterday I sold my 99' Viggen. Bought it 2 years ago for 4.5k, put four thousand on it and sold it for 4k. After owning nothing but Saabs for 6 years I'm happy to try something new but overall they provided nothing but solid service.

Also, confirming the old V6 engines were trash. The new ones seem problematic too, although in a anecdotal way.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Mcqueen posted:

The new ones seem problematic too, although in a anecdotal way.

Sssh... they'll hear you.

gently caress shipping to Sweden. gently caress it right in the socket.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
There better be organs in those packages.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Mcqueen posted:

There better be organs in those packages.

Mostly random US memorabilia from all over the west coast, with local stuff thrown in.

This guy.. what. No, dude, I don't think too many peoples' insurance are going to buy your brand new grille for $1500 when they can't get the bumper to put it in.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Tomarse posted:

Took my 9-3 into the local Saab dealer today (first time I've ever taken a car there!) and had the sump dropped and cleaned, the autobox oil changed and the updated PCV kit and a load of other new PCV pipes fitted.
Apparently the sump was pretty clean already (its a 2001 9-3 with 170k miles) which makes me sleep easier!

Ever since having this done my oil light had been flashing if I made hard right turns at speed (the oil level was fine). The only way to avoid it was to take all right turns at 10mph or below which gets boring very fast!

Today I had an oil pump kit and oil pressure relief valve fitted and it has fixed it.
Now i can throw it round right hand corners again and not drive like a grandad

I've been driving my landrover quite a lot instead of the saab. I think i like this 9-3 so much solely because of the heated seats and aircon ;)

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 2, 2012

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Tomarse posted:

I think i like this 9-3 so much solely because of the heated seats and aircon ;)

This, and the weather radio just gives enough insight into what (should be) happening.

Took the NG900 out for an early-AM excursion. It came up with a new 'night panel' mode. No backlight on anything in the console. Fiddling with the dimmer rheostat, the headlight switch and night panel buttons (obviously not night panel related) did nothing. It decided to turn them on.. one segment at a time (I've never seen this before) by the time I got about two blocks out, but now I have something else to fix..

This is how the lights came back:

First, the lights behind the ACC buttons, then the radio, and then the instrument cluster. That is what confuses me.. if they all came on at once, just a short somewhere, but.. what would cause this?!

Viggen fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 1, 2012

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Pulled the dimmer switch, and its flakey. May rebuild it. Under $20 for a warranted one, so, what the hell.

Also, what the hell. Saab Parts AB was never bankrupt..

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Well, I managed to get the new rheostat into place, the old one was faulty, but it may not have been the only issue.

Here is my schematica cheatsheet (For all NG900s from '94 to '98 I believe):

The backlights for the main strument cluster turn on for about a second when the car is first started, so that isn't the issue.

The SID backlight stays on, but doesn't dim. The ACC stays on but does not dim. I really don't know if anything else on pin 3 works, offhand.

Why the hell must you use PMW for this, SAAB? I'm starting to understand why others think I'm nuts. You'd have to be.

There's a bit more info. I do hope that one of my lovely ohmmeters is capable of not blowing up and giving me a semi-rough voltage based estimate. v:v:v

Viggen fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 7, 2012

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Thanks to a bit of sub-assistance from a friends' father in Canada who happened to be within earshot (Stop being a pussy and just jump pin 3 with the fuse in 22a removed, dumbass), the NG900 is alive once again. There is a short somewhere, but for tonight I can drive and get some DMD..

E: IOC pls change title to 'Viggens' Twitter' tia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!
I was going to suggest that the SID might be involved based on the wording in your WIS images. Maybe try removing it to see if the behavior changes?

And I think "They were all rescues. This one was found abandoned beside the highway" would make a better title :unsmith:.