Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

nucleicmaxid posted:

This is completely loving false by all standards within the current understanding of modern Psychology, just FYI.

If that were true it doesn't surprise me that modern psychology is notoriously bad at treating addiction.

quote:

According to just about every expert in the field addiction can, in fact, lead to people who are 'out of control' and are thus unable to modify their behavior in response to incentives.

Whilst there are experts who believe addiction is compulsive and addicts are 'out of control' this is by no means universally accepted.

This notion that addicts don't respond to incentive is bizarre (and could only be true if you believe that drug addiction is akin to demonic possession).

Even the most heavily addicted smoker will not give them self permission to smoke in the office in plain view of their colleagues. This is why smoke-free workplace policies motivate people to quit.

Even the most heavily dependent heroin addict still has to figure out how to get money to sustain their addiction. Not all addicts resort to crime. Many addicts work multiple jobs and cannot afford to be intoxicated all the time (your earning capacity is reduced if you are intoxicated or in withdrawal) which is a strong incentive to cut down or choose to be temporarily abstinent.

quote:

There are two reasons why it is tempting to label addictive drug use ‘compulsive’. First, there is a popular conception that addicted drug users will use no matter what countervailing reasons are present. In Oddie’s terms, such drug-oriented desires are not ‘reasons responsive’.29 It is popular to cite the case of the cocaine-addicted rat which continues to self- administer the drug, ignoring the bodily demands of hunger and fatigue, until it dies. As Davies points out, however, this is a terrible metric for compulsion – the rats tested have nothing to do other than self- administer drugs, and when the same tests are run under more naturalised environments, their behav- iour looks much more reasons-responsive, and much less compulsive.30 In fact, as Watson points out, drug-addicted humans are a lot more likely to decide not to use drugs than is popularly believed, especially when strong counterincentives are pre- sented. Mothers with dependent children, for exam- ple, are much more likely to give up their drug addictions.31 Neale reports that less serious reasons are also commonly given by users who decrease their heroin consumption, such as changes in the drug market, or conscious reflection of the drug’s pros and cons.32 The evidence that drug users do in fact respond to powerful incentives is a strong indicator that their behaviour is not compulsive.

The statistics on drug use also fail to support the idea that drug users will always use. Leshner cites the low number of successful, voluntary drug quitters as evidence that people with addictions are behaving compulsively. ‘Once addicted’, he claims, ‘it is almost impossible for most people to stop the spiralling cycle of addiction’.33 In fact, he is wrong – though in 2001, 18% of US citizens aged 18–24 met criteria for substance dependence, only 5.4% of those over 26 were substance dependent. In the same year, less than 2% received treatment for substance dependence, implying that large numbers of people voluntarily quit.34 http://www.neuroethics.ox.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0013/16060/Foddy_and_Savulescu_-_Addicts_Consent.pdf

quote:

neurobiological data do not establish that addiction is a form of compulsion and that control is nil. From a philosophical perspective, we should immediately be skeptical of any such conclusion on conceptual grounds. We commonly hold that what makes a piece of behavior an action, as opposed to a mere bodily movement, like an automatic reflex, is that it is voluntary. This means that there is the capacity for genuine choice between courses of action. Minimally, there must be at least two choices: to act in a particular way at a particular time, or not to.6 There is thus a dilemma facing the claim that addictive desire is genuinely irresistible. Drug-seeking and drug-taking behavior appears to be deliberate, to be flexible, and to involve complicated diachronic planning and execution. It bears all the hallmarks of action. But for it to be action as opposed to merely automatic reflex, alternatives must be available; minimally, it must be possible to refrain. Hence either addictive desires are resistible and the power to do otherwise remains or, despite appearances, the behavior they cause is not action (cf. Alvarez 2009).

Note, importantly, that it is perfectly possible to hold that addictive desires are resistible but that people suffering from addiction may yet be excused from blame for acting on them. For example, if drugs are indeed used to manage severe psychological distress, then, in absence of alternative coping mechanisms, addicted individuals may be justified in choosing to take drugs, with the crucial caveat that such justification depends on the nature and degree of any harm caused to others by their doing so. In essence, addiction may be excused not as a form of compulsion, but as a form of duress.7 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3378040/#R5

KingEup fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

rockinricky posted:

I heard one anti-64 ad on the radio. They trotted out the old "If pot is legalized, it will be easier for kids to get it." line of bullshit. It started playing a few days before the election. Sounded like an act of desperation to me.

If kids can get Alcohol they can get pot.
Seriously how is that point not recognized as utterly moot?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

rockinricky posted:

They trotted out the old "If pot is legalized, it will be easier for kids to get it." line of bullshit.

This is a mind-bogglingly stupid argument. According to the CDC it is already easier for kids to get it:

CDC posted:

Current marijuana use among high school students was more common than current cigarette use (23 percent compared to 18 percent). http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2012/p0607_yrb_telebriefing.html

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I don't think that would work either. I don't know of any scheduled drugs that are available on demand over the counter without a prescription. Marijuana needs to be descheduled completely. Also while we're at it, the Controlled Substances Act needs to be repealed, the DEA needs to be disbanded and all prisoners held on drug charges need to be released and pardoned.

This is a nitpick, but there are a few places where you can get codeine cough syrup over the counter, which is I think Schedule V.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

All Of The Dicks posted:

This is a nitpick, but there are a few places where you can get codeine cough syrup over the counter, which is I think Schedule V.

and where exactly would these places be, please be precise. Not that I don't believe you but I am pretty sure this isn't true at all.

edit:

Also wasn't the Attorney General of Colorado suppose to meet with the Justice department this week? I can't find a story on it or whether it happened.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 16, 2012

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Hollis posted:

and where exactly would these places be, please be precise. Not that I don't believe you but I am pretty sure this isn't true at all.

edit:

Also wasn't the Attorney General of Colorado suppose to meet with the Justice department this week? I can't find a story on it or whether it happened.

He was suppose to meet with both - I haven't heard a thing.

Here we go!

Washington Governor Meets With DOJ On Marijuana Legalization

There doesn't appear to be any details - I suspect that why there isn't a press release. I'm thinking we'll have to wait until December when it's officially legal.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Nov 16, 2012

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Hollis posted:

Dilute preparations of codeine are Schedule V, and don't have to have a prescription by Federal law. Most states require one, though, but some do not. Illinois, for example, allows a specific amount of dilute preparations of codeine to be dispensed without a prescription to people over 21 at the pharmacist's discretion, with proper logging and ID checks. Also Ohio (over 18), North Carolina (over 18), and Washington State (over 21).

I don't know if there are any other states that allow it. I didn't feel like going through all 50 and DC.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Dilute prescription here means codeine combined with other drugs right? Or am I thinking of the wrong thing?

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Install Gentoo posted:

Dilute prescription here means codeine combined with other drugs right? Or am I thinking of the wrong thing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robitussin_DAC

Wikipedia posted:

Robitussin DAC (more commonly known as its generic form, Cheratussin DAC) is an exempt narcotic cold medicine, which is available in the United States in a solution. A version without pseudoephedrine is called Robitussin AC. Cheratussin DAC and AC are manufactured by Qualitest. Under U.S. federal law, up to four ounces can be purchased within a 48 hour period without prescription, provided the purchaser is at least 18 years of age, sign a log book, and provide identification if not known to the pharmacist. However, many states nonetheless prohibit sale without prescription, or have restrictions on purchase.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

You're misrepresenting what that first article says in a big way. That first article is discussing the ethical question of whether an addict is actually acting autonomously when approaching a researcher to take part in a study. This is important when attempting to take measurements and draw conclusions from research, as a subject who is only there because they want the chance of a free fix, or a subject who ended up there in the post-high low, while their brain state was affected by the drug of choice will not offer results that can be considered 'pure.' The entire article, even the [i]title[/] points to the fact that it is a question of whether people with an addiction are capable of consent. It's also mostly theoretical and philosophical rather than being truly scientific and offering research to justify its point. Ethics, specifically bio- and neuro- ethics are a relatively new thing, and there is a lot of fuzziness.

That second article actually supports what I said, and also goes on to explain that there are cases where the individual in question can 'age out' of their addiction, or that some people are more prone to addiction based upon additional psychiatric disorders.

Next time you feel like trying to argue, please do read the articles you're attempting to cherry pick.

You also seem to substantially misunderstand addiction and its results, as you tried to use an example of a nicotine user who doesn't smoke in an office building, and a heroin user who is together enough to obtain money to be able to feed their addiction as a way of stating that users are 'in control.' While, first off, I didn't state that all users and addicts are 'out of control', merely that addiction can, in some individuals, cause loss of control. This is a well documented scientific fact, I'm aware of more than one study on rats who are given junk food, and refuse to eat 'healthy' food, or are given the option to be able to press a button to receive food or to release pleasurable sensations, and do so ceaselessly , without concern for hunger, though I'm too lazy to do your research for you, as you were too lazy to do your own research in the first place.

Prosopagnosiac
May 19, 2007

One of us! One of us! Aqua Buddha! Aqua Buddha! One of us!
Self administration of drugs in animal models is an interesting phenomenon. But there is a study that was done that changed the paradigm that is often overlooked.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_Park

Basically, what these researchers found was that rats living in tiny cages with no other stimulus than the drug will become addicted, but that if you change the context of the environment that they're living in addiction disappears. This is also more similar to the environment that humans face. An argument could also be made that impoverished environments are more likely to produce addiction in humans (or if people percieve their environment to be impoverished) So if you're going to use rats as models for human addictive behavior, it's at least fair to put them into a context that is closer to what humans face, it also shows the limitations of such a model given tha people have much different motivations than rats in taking drugs.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

nucleicmaxid posted:

While, first off, I didn't state that all users and addicts are 'out of control', merely that addiction can, in some individuals, cause loss of control.

This is a lot different than saying that "vice taxes" are useless because addicts don't respond to incentives, which is where this derail started.

Edit: saw your edit on the last page. One of you is arguing against the claim that addiction never precludes incentives, the other is arguing against the claim that addiction always precludes incentives. You can both agree that it sometimes does, to some degree. What's the point?

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 16, 2012

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Install Gentoo posted:

From 21 CFR 290.2:

quote:

a compound, mixture, or preparation containing not more than 200 milligrams of codeine per 100 milliliters or per 100 grams that also includes one or more nonnarcotic active medicinal ingredients in sufficient proportion to confer upon the compound, mixture, or preparation valuable medicinal qualities other than those possessed by codeine alone
So yeah, has to be combined with nonnarcotic actives and has to be under a certain concentration. At least those don't have to be compounded with things that can be more dangerous than the codeine at high doses (like Atropine Sulfate for Difenoxin and Diphenoxylate, which seems to be used as both a secondary active and a recreational deterrent).

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

nucleicmaxid posted:

This is a well documented scientific fact, I'm aware of more than one study on rats who are given junk food, and refuse to eat 'healthy' food, or are given the option to be able to press a button to receive food or to release pleasurable sensations, and do so ceaselessly , without concern for hunger, though I'm too lazy to do your research for you, as you were too lazy to do your own research in the first place.

Wait, what? It's almost like you didn't read more than one sentence of the excerpt I posted. Specifically the part on why the behaviour of rats in cages is such a terrible metric to measure things by.

So, before you accuse me of cherry picking and of not doing my research, it might behoove you to take a bit of your own advice. As of right now you've posted sweet gently caress all in terms of supporting material. It's well documented scientific fact, is it? Well guess what, it's no my job to do your research to support your point of view.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 17, 2012

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

KingEup posted:

Wait, what? It's almost like you didn't read more than one sentence of the excerpt I posted. Specifically the part on why the behaviour of rats in cages is such a terrible metric to measure things by.

So, before you accuse me of cherry picking and of not doing my research, it might behoove you to take a bit of your own advice. As of right now you've posted sweet gently caress all in terms of supporting material. It's well documented scientific fact, is it? Well guess what, it's no my job to do your research to support your point of view.

We have posted the same amount of evidence. As I pointed out the material you attempted to post as evidence does not actually say what you're attempting to say it does.

SurgicalOntologist posted:

This is a lot different than saying that "vice taxes" are useless because addicts don't respond to incentives, which is where this derail started.

Edit: saw your edit on the last page. One of you is arguing against the claim that addiction never precludes incentives, the other is arguing against the claim that addiction always precludes incentives. You can both agree that it sometimes does, to some degree. What's the point?

You're right, I think I had more of a problem with the fact that KingEup decided to declare addicts completely sane rational actors who will adjust to an increase in price by simply using their substance of choice less. After rereading his statement it's a bit less hard line than I remembered, and the derail was kind of silly anyway, obviously different addicts will have differing levels of self control, and there is no easy Addict stamp we can use to define them all.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

mdemone posted:

Such claims could be easily checked by consumers (in more than one way), and this could open up false-advertising issues if it were in fact a placebo difference. I'd bet instead, if anything, that they'll simply brand different strains as this or that, regardless of THC/CBD content (although those numbers would give them a way to "rank" their brands, despite each strain being equally "good", but having different effects, from a consumer's perspective).

From last page.

If I recall correctly, the Washington law actually addresses this issue. The state Department of Agriculture is tasked with grading weed by THC content.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It may be unrelated to the topic but from what I understand that through breeding THC content of Marijuana has increased over the last 50 years. I am really curious as to what happens in the next few years as the laws come into effect Colorado starts taxing (or it's struck down).

I think it will be struck down, I mean I don't think anyone can argue legally for state rights vs. federal law. Are there any precedents for this anyway?

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Hollis posted:

It may be unrelated to the topic but from what I understand that through breeding THC content of Marijuana has increased over the last 50 years. I am really curious as to what happens in the next few years as the laws come into effect Colorado starts taxing (or it's struck down).

I think it will be struck down, I mean I don't think anyone can argue legally for state rights vs. federal law. Are there any precedents for this anyway?

It will be especially exciting to see the feckless Republican party standing silent on this issue of states' rights vs. the :argh: IMPERIAL FEDERAL GOVERNMENT :argh:

The metric for such decisions is, in case you are interested, "Does this help people? TYRANNICAL POWER GRAB! Does this lock people up? Perfectly legitimate exercise of authority."

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Hollis posted:

The average THC content of marijuana has probably increased more since 1992 than it had from the beginning of prohibition to 1991. A lot of that is due to the internet. Growers now have better access to information about propagation techniques, equipment and strains and the internet was instrumental in enabling the explosion of small home grows (and later large outdoor grows) which identified and proliferated stronger strains. Before, it was "toss some bag seed in a pot and see what happens" for a lot of people.

As for Colorado's situation, it's an amendment to the state constitution. I'm not sure if there's precedent for an amendment to a state constitution being struck down for opposing federal law, I've only seen such amendments struck down for being unconstitutional.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Spoondick posted:

As for Colorado's situation, it's an amendment to the state constitution. I'm not sure if there's precedent for an amendment to a state constitution being struck down for opposing federal law, I've only seen such amendments struck down for being unconstitutional.

I can't think of any either, but I don't think it matters that it's an amendment to the state Constitution. The only argument for striking based on federal law would be if the federal government occupied the field in question. They certainly didn't explicitly do so, and when you consider the fact that states are allowed to prohibit alcohol as they so desire, I think there's a convincing argument that they did not occupy the field.

The situation should be exactly like Gonzales v. Raich; the federal government is perfectly able to enforce their own policy within states that operate to the contrary. But, as always (and most recently Printz v. United States) the feds cannot compel states to carry out federal policy.

So it's just a question of whether these states will give the federal government an excuse to step back from their policy. The laws can't be overruled, only ignored.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
One worry in Washington, I think, is that the federal government could sue the state in federal court to prevent the implementation of state regulation of marijuana production and sales. Presumably the theory would be that the state government would be violating federal law, not just not implementing it.

I-502 requires a producer, distributor, or retailer have a license from the state liquor board, so if no one can get a license, no one can legally do those things.

That Irish Gal
Jul 8, 2012

Your existence amounts to nothing more than a goldfish swimming upriver.

PS: We are all actually cats

Rigged Death Trap posted:

If kids can get Alcohol they can get pot.
Seriously how is that point not recognized as utterly moot?

I think the last time I heard someone claiming that idea, they were also fully advocating police to just take people's blood without their consent or probable cause of any sort to test it, and detain them for the duration of the test, for THC intoxication.

No half measures, I suppose.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Base Emitter posted:

One worry in Washington, I think, is that the federal government could sue the state in federal court to prevent the implementation of state regulation of marijuana production and sales. Presumably the theory would be that the state government would be violating federal law, not just not implementing it.

I-502 requires a producer, distributor, or retailer have a license from the state liquor board, so if no one can get a license, no one can legally do those things.

The thing is that we aren't talking about an enumerated power here, we're talking about a broad interpretation of the Commerce Clause. The only thing I can think of for that is Gibbons v. Ogden, which invalidated a New York monopoly on transportation licenses on Commerce Clause grounds. However, the case explicitly involved a ferry between New York and New Jersey.

It's certainly possible I'm missing some aspect of Commerce Clause precedent, but all of the cases I remember involve what the federal government is allowed to do. For example, they can regulate safety or labor relations, but it is they who must (and are allowed to) enforce those laws. As far as I know, states are perfectly free to set a minimum wage of $0.01/hr. That law couldn't be invalidated, but companies violating the FLSA would be subject to federal prosecution. Of course, an interesting extension of that would be if states punished companies who exceeded that rate. Does anyone know if something like that has been tried?

Even so, the feds made no effort to invalidate California's medical marijuana regulation and I feel like if they could have, they would have. This isn't any different, legally.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

vote_no posted:

The thing is that we aren't talking about an enumerated power here, we're talking about a broad interpretation of the Commerce Clause. The only thing I can think of for that is Gibbons v. Ogden, which invalidated a New York monopoly on transportation licenses on Commerce Clause grounds. However, the case explicitly involved a ferry between New York and New Jersey.

It's certainly possible I'm missing some aspect of Commerce Clause precedent, but all of the cases I remember involve what the federal government is allowed to do. For example, they can regulate safety or labor relations, but it is they who must (and are allowed to) enforce those laws. As far as I know, states are perfectly free to set a minimum wage of $0.01/hr. That law couldn't be invalidated, but companies violating the FLSA would be subject to federal prosecution. Of course, an interesting extension of that would be if states punished companies who exceeded that rate. Does anyone know if something like that has been tried?

Even so, the feds made no effort to invalidate California's medical marijuana regulation and I feel like if they could have, they would have. This isn't any different, legally.

You're missing Gonzales v. Raich, which built on Wickard v. Filburn and explicitly said that the federal government was allowed to regulate medical marijuana that stayed entirely inside California.

And, yes, the federal government has made efforts to regulate California's medical marijuana regulation in the simplest way possible: they send in agents to raid dispensaries. The Obama administration has mostly kept to raiding the places that focus on "hey, get some 'medical' marijuana for your 'disorder,' it's legal!" rather than legitimate medical operations, but there's nothing to stop more extreme executive actions in the future.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Space Gopher posted:

You're missing Gonzales v. Raich, which built on Wickard v. Filburn and explicitly said that the federal government was allowed to regulate medical marijuana that stayed entirely inside California.

And, yes, the federal government has made efforts to regulate California's medical marijuana regulation in the simplest way possible: they send in agents to raid dispensaries. The Obama administration has mostly kept to raiding the places that focus on "hey, get some 'medical' marijuana for your 'disorder,' it's legal!" rather than legitimate medical operations, but there's nothing to stop more extreme executive actions in the future.

Apparently you're not reading my posts. Not only did I bring up Gonzales v. Raich, I am not making the argument you seem to think I am and, in fact, brought up your point already.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

vote_no posted:

States are generally permitted to enact laws which are more stringent than federal laws, but if they enact less stringent laws they can run afoul of the Supremacy Clause. Good point on the federal government not challenging medical marijuana laws. If Janet Reno, John Ashcroft or Alberto Gonzales never sued states for enacting medical marijuana laws, there must have been really good reason. Either polling data showed it wasn't worth the political risk or there was a substantial possibility of losing a case and limiting federal oversight through the Commerce Clause.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Spoondick posted:

States are generally permitted to enact laws which are more stringent than federal laws, but if they enact less stringent laws they can run afoul of the Supremacy Clause. Good point on the federal government not challenging medical marijuana laws. If Janet Reno, John Ashcroft or Alberto Gonzales never sued states for enacting medical marijuana laws, there must have been really good reason. Either polling data showed it wasn't worth the political risk or there was a substantial possibility of losing a case and limiting federal oversight through the Commerce Clause.

With regard to the Supremacy Clause as it relates to federal law in particular, I believe that its application depends on whether Congress has occupied the field in question. They can explicitly state as much (which they haven't in this case), and if they do not it is up to the judges to determine whether through historical law and policy they have effectively done so. Like I said earlier, I don't think the government has a valid argument for occupying the field with regard to prohibition.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

That Irish Guy posted:

I think the last time I heard someone claiming that idea, they were also fully advocating police to just take people's blood without their consent or probable cause of any sort to test it, and detain them for the duration of the test, for THC intoxication.

No half measures, I suppose.

Uhh what? Seriously?
I'm just stating that if kids really want to get something they will get it eventually.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 17, 2012

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
The UN trying to interfere with states' rights? The conservatives are going to be FURIOUS.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/marijuana/ci_22034126/un-official-calls-marijuana-ballot-rollback

quote:

VIENNA—The head of the U.N. drug watchdog agency is urging U.S. federal officials to challenge ballot measures in Colorado and Washington that decriminalized possession of small amounts of marijuana for adults 21 and over.

Raymond Yans says the approvals send "a wrong message to the rest of the nation and it sends a wrong message abroad."

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What message is that? That democracy trumps paternalism? That the UN laws were written at the height of US influence and are just another level of authority enforcing them?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Now I know of the economic and social factors that triggered the Marijuana ban in America, but what were the reasons for the UN to adopt that ruling unilaterally?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Now I know of the economic and social factors that triggered the Marijuana ban in America, but what were the reasons for the UN to adopt that ruling unilaterally?
The US has a lot of big guns and likes to shoot people who make things it doesn't like.

STrooperTK421
Aug 1, 2010
I'm excited by the prospect that someday soon this poo poo will finally be over. I'm also very nervous because I know there are forces out there that will do everything they can to kill this, regardless of what the people want. I will say though, I am very surprised by the media. I was stuck at the shop trying to get my car fixed (again, after the last shop hosed it up even worse, goddammit :ssj: ) and of course they had it on Fox news. They did a small segment on it and for Fox news it was surprisingly "well mannered", even keeping the puns to a minimum.

I just want to see this happen, I want to live somewhere where people are not being thrown on prison and all their poo poo taken just because of a loving plant, and I'm nervous because there is the little part of me that thinks it is not going to happen.

Hold me.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Was STrooperTK420 taken?

STrooperTK421
Aug 1, 2010

Baloogan posted:

Was STrooperTK420 taken?

Nope, but 420 is one of the reasons I'm not at my post...

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Egypt had a lot to do with it:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12534418

quote:

Although cannabis (Indian hemp) was not on the agenda of the Second Opium Conference, a claim by the Egyptian delegation that it was as dangerous as opium, and should therefore be subject to the same international controls, was supported by several other countries. No formal evidence was produced and conference delegates had not been briefed about cannabis. The only objections came from Britain and other colonial powers. They did not dispute the claim that cannabis was comparable to opium, but they did want to avoid a commitment to eliminating its use in their Asian and African territories.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
Cannabis (along with wine and brothels) was perfectly legal and taxed for much of Egypt's history which is the ironic part.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

See also:

quote:

The League of Nations and the Debate over Cannabis Prohibition http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1478-0542.2010.00740.x/full

The problem with cannabis, according to the Tunisian representative (who happened to be a member of the French colonial government) was it enabled Arabs:

quote:

to lead in imagination the life which they would like to live, but which their indolence and love of ease in most cases prevents them from attaining by work, forethought and persevering effort

The problem wasn't just cannabis though. According to the Algerian representative (who happened to be a racist French psychiatrist)

quote:

[the Arab] has a peculiar propensity towards drug addiction. It has been said that he is a born drug addict... his essentially passive temperament leaves him without defense against temptation. He lives from day to day, at the mercy of his instincts and desires. He has no idea of making provision for the future, and abandons himself to the satisfaction of his immediate needs. … Owing to his lack of mental and moral powers of resistance, the native soon falls into the state of decline and moral decay which follows too wholesale or long an indulgence in drugs. Similarly, his entirely instinctive way of life, the fact that his behavior is dictated solely by immediate reaction, and his fundamentally impulsive nature, soon give to his crises of intoxication a violent and tragic character’

There you have it folks. Drug prohibition was based on good old fashioned racism.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 22, 2012

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

KingEup posted:

See also:

The problem with cannabis, according to the Tunisian representative (who happened to be a member of the French colonial government) was it enabled Arabs:

The problem wasn't just cannabis though. According to the Algerian representative (who happened to be a racist French psychiatrist)

There you have it folks. Drug prohibition was based on good old fashioned racism.

The more public we can make information like this the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I was discussing this today with some family members and one of my family members who is a lawyer was just talking in general States vs. Federal rights. If it does get overthrown it's possible to decriminalize to the point of no effect. Meaning the state can say Marijuana possession is a ticket of fifty cents that is expunged from your record. Etc..

Basically decriminalizing it into nonexistence for personal possession. The general view is that this will get thrown out due to federal laws.

• Locked thread