Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

You can marinate during, but trying to do this for 48h without a proper setup is a bad idea, get a cooler and try cooking a steak or something leaner s-v instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Can I get more details about why it wouldn't work? What is it about leaner meats that makes it easier? Why would a pot on a stove with regular checking not be as good as a beer cooler?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Can I get more details about why it wouldn't work? What is it about leaner meats that makes it easier? Why would a pot on a stove with regular checking not be as good as a beer cooler?

You cannot maintain the accuracy needed. You're not cooking at 212 F where you can just keep the water simmering, you're cooking at 135 F and keeping a pot of water or a cooler at 135±0.1 F for 72 hours on a stove is impossible. You can keep it at ±2 F in a cooler for an hour, but that's only going to work for eggs, steaks, seafood. You can do sous vide at 212 F on the stove top for something like confit, if you want, too, but hotter temperatures increases in bag evaporation and weakens the bag seals so the hotter you go the more you risk a bag blow out.

Edit: I suggest you read a bit more about what exactly is going on in a sous vide environment because it seems like maybe you don't really get what's all going on when one puddles. here: http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 21, 2012

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

GrAviTy84 posted:

you risk a bag blow out.

That's what happened to me that time I had to eat at Taco Bell.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

It's what happened to me last time I saw Pr0k's mum.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

Edit: I suggest you read a bit more about what exactly is going on in a sous vide environment because it seems like maybe you don't really get what's all going on when one puddles. here: http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

Thanks. As I keep saying, I'm relatively new to a lot of cooking info you guys take as common knowledge.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

You guys talking about GWCing up some YLLS food, well, see here, you have YLLS mod support:

Shine posted:

If any GWS folks would like to start a crossover thread about spiffing up our cherished chicken breasts and other "swolefood" staples, go for it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3498320&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=22

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

I'm looking forward to the Goons in Platoons chickencheese MRE.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Thanks. As I keep saying, I'm relatively new to a lot of cooking info you guys take as common knowledge.

Sorry if I came off rude or whatever. You kinda posed your question as if you knew what puddling entailed.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

You cannot maintain the accuracy needed. You're not cooking at 212 F where you can just keep the water simmering, you're cooking at 135 F and keeping a pot of water or a cooler at 135±0.1 F for 72 hours on a stove is impossible. You can keep it at ±2 F in a cooler for an hour, but that's only going to work for eggs, steaks, seafood. You can do sous vide at 212 F on the stove top for something like confit, if you want, too, but hotter temperatures increases in bag evaporation and weakens the bag seals so the hotter you go the more you risk a bag blow out.

The reason that a steak/seafood/an egg are doable in a cooler is because they only need to get to the temperature you want but they don't need to stay at that temperature. Lean cuts are okay because you don't have any collagen to breakdown into gelatin, which is what you're doing by cooking shortribs for 2 days.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Steakandchips posted:

You guys talking about GWCing up some YLLS food, well, see here, you have YLLS mod support:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3498320&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=22

Already got a thread up, Steak&:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3518581

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I had the flu, the worst of which happened a week ago. Should I be spending thanksgiving with my family where I will be around little baby nieces and nephews?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Steve Yun posted:

I had the flu, the worst of which happened a week ago. Should I be spending thanksgiving with my family where I will be around little baby nieces and nephews?

No. Stay home, take plenty of fluids, and rest. This is not the time to typhiod mary that poo poo and get the young ones sick too. They tend to be walking germ factories. It's not about you getting them sick, it's about them infecting you with the latest super flu that is the latest strain in their incubatey little bodies. It's worse than 'Con cold.

Seriously though. Having a sick kid after a holiday because some relative decided to be all gung-ho about FAMBLEE TIMEEEEE sucks all kinds of rear end. Stay home, and keep the germs to yourself.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
If you no longer have a fever doesn't that mean it's done being contagious?

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

just keep scrolling posted:

If you no longer have a fever doesn't that mean it's done being contagious?

Up to 7 days after symptoms appear I believe.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Unless one of your relatives has an immune deficiency, Go hang out with your family.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Just loving go meet them.

They won't remember the cold/flu/whatever.

They will remember the fun times.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Okay, okay

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Steve Yun posted:

Okay, okay
:3:

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
Aunt Sally has suggested we baste the turkey with lipton's onion soup, don't miss out on family moments

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Gourd of Taste posted:

Aunt Sally has suggested we baste the turkey with lipton's onion soup, don't miss out on family moments

Honestly I don't mind onion soup mixed with sour cream for a quick chip dip, I guess I'm a horrible person but

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

mediaphage posted:

Honestly I don't mind onion soup mixed with sour cream for a quick chip dip, I guess I'm a horrible person but

Your being a horrible person is mostly unrelated, there is a difference between a quick dip and thanksgiving dinner

The turkey is filled with sausage and i feel powerless

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
quote and edit are different things but not when you're mourning

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Gourd of Taste posted:

Your being a horrible person is mostly unrelated, there is a difference between a quick dip and thanksgiving dinner

The turkey is filled with sausage and i feel powerless

Oh gourdy :3:

I'm sure there will be some part of the bird that isn't gross. Just eat that.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Spatchcocked my turkey and put it in the fridge to air dry, made a sodium citrate stabilized cheese sauce, and pressure cooker giblet stock yesterday. Just like Grandma used to.

The leaves me most of today to drink. Just like Grandma should have.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I've had the flu since Tuesday. Woke up this morning at 3:00 feeling like I'd fellated a barbed wire fence, and I've spent the time since popping NyQuil, drinking tea, and being angry. Normally I'd be spending 6+hours every day this week at my parents' helping mom get everything ready, but instead I've been down with this plague and my crazy aunt has been pressed into service instead. Maybe it's a good thing I'm still too sick to go see what atrocities she's visited on my favorite family holiday meal.

Well people please have an extra couple of drinks for me today while I mourn the bottle of South African Pinotage that won't be deployed to best holiday effect.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Our assignment for thanksgiving this year is to bring the wine, a couple of desserts, make the rolls and a stuffed mushroom thing up at the ranch. Me Ma has the turkey in already I believe, and I'll take that over when I vet up there. Then a bunch of traditional sides to get ready and a lot of cocktails to mix before supper time.

In all actuality, thanksgiving is one of my favourite days all year.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mr. Wiggles posted:

a lot of cocktails to mix

Thanksgiving sounds like something I could get used to in America.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Our assignment for thanksgiving this year is to bring the wine, a couple of desserts, make the rolls and a stuffed mushroom thing up at the ranch. Me Ma has the turkey in already I believe, and I'll take that over when I vet up there. Then a bunch of traditional sides to get ready and a lot of cocktails to mix before supper time.

In all actuality, thanksgiving is one of my favourite days all year.

Mine too. I also love an excuse to eat copious rolls.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Let the thanksgiving entertainment begin!

Anyone want to do a betting pool on when NoSmo angerfucks his wife?

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

Happy Hat posted:

Let the thanksgiving entertainment begin!

Anyone want to do a betting pool on when NoSmo angerfucks his wife?

It's eleven thirty nine here, so I'm taking 'noon'

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Had Guinness and lil' smokies for breakfast. About to take a nap. Love me some thanksgiving.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
We have yanqui friends who have invited us to their country place for Thanksgiving. I've been asked to make some bread and, if I don't mind, cornbread. Actually, I'm delighted to be asked and to do something new. I am, shamefully, using my bread machine for the first time in about a year to make a brioche, but that's for a bread and butter pudding with custard, brandy butter, and sultanas steeped in calvados. We are also making a pilaf with bulgur, spiced fried onions, Harissa and balsamic roasted tomatoes, spinach, and a yoghurt-garlic dressing.

The greatest thanksgiving film is the awesome Addams Family Values:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt_5aMDAup0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Bart, feel better.

dino., beautiful OP in YLLS.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I forgot my sister doesn't cook so it has mostly fallen on me, which is fine but I wish I had brought a knife and some other gear. I got most of my cutting done with a Spyderco rescue knife.

In super cute news, my 12 yo niece is hugely into cooking so she has been helping. She saw me cooking the turkey neck and giblets and for gravy and said "Is that the heart? Can we eat that?". I said sure and we ate it. She loving loved it and then we ate the liver and the gizzard. The neck she was not a fan of however. I told her that next time we can cook them with some butter and white wine and she agreed that the heart was a little tough.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We love you bart, please don't die on us.

Work was...special. At least I got holiday pay out of the day, and I'm at almost 2 hours of overtime for the week (in a corporate owned fancy grocery store no less) which makes it better. My area was the busiest today out of anyone, except our 'gourmet case' where people get like, meatloaves, chicken salads, that kinda thing. 20+ omlettes in 2 hours with only two butane burners, plus waffles, crepes, and sandwiches. Goddamn. But that sweet overtime makes up for it, really.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
Father in law has a special place in my heart for pulling aside and apologizing for the meat filled turkey

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

Happy Thanksgiving American folks, may your food comas be satisfying.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Final count for the day: 563 covers for brunch, in 5 hours. Not nearly enough dome pans, next year everything goes in a goddamn rec. 24 hours in the past 2 days, I loving hate holiday season. Bah humbug and poo poo. I need a drink.

Cooked 40 turkeys, used 34, 9 ribeyes, used 7, 12 hams, used 6(gently caress!).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Final count for the day: 563 covers for brunch, in 5 hours. Not nearly enough dome pans, next year everything goes in a goddamn rec. 24 hours in the past 2 days, I loving hate holiday season. Bah humbug and poo poo. I need a drink.

Cooked 40 turkeys, used 34, 9 ribeyes, used 7, 12 hams, used 6(gently caress!).
What're you guys going to do with all that ham? I mean, you could make soup with the turkey or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
Drank a bunch of wine and stacked my plate high, informing weird relatives that i did not support a two plate solution