Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Bedurndurn posted:

If there any app that will build a map of my cell service quality as I drive around town? I want to see how accurate T-Mobile's coverage map is, because it promised good service at my house and I'm alternating between no service and 2 bars, so I'd like to get measurements from around town more scientifically than trying to check my email every time I hit a stop light.

What phone are you using? I have a GNex and I'm in the same boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I just tried to install it on my Galaxy Nexus to try it out again but now it shows not compatible. I know I've used it on my phone before so maybe they dropped support for a lot of devices.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Teeter posted:

That's awesome. Everyone else seems to just be a beautiful person according to SwiftKey's opening sentence. I love mine because it throws in random hockey terms and curse words, like beautiful poetry.

Not me. "I am a jerk, and I have never really been outside Florida so we can do it." I don't ever remember calling myself a jerk. :(

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Swiftkey owns.

e:

FINE. Now fix your quotes.

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 21, 2012

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Teeter posted:

That's awesome. Everyone else seems to just be a beautiful person according to SwiftKey's opening sentence. I love mine because it throws in random hockey terms and curse words, like beautiful poetry.

Anyone know of an update on SwiftKey Flow? I signed up for the beta when the announcement came out but I haven't seen or heard anything since then.

Yeah, I got the beautiful person thing for a while too, until I really started using it a lot. I've been trying to keep an eye on the SwiftKey forums for any updates. It's still "coming soon", but I think they're just doing a lot of bug hunting before releasing it.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

I like how you sort of captured CBoyardee's essence, in a way, with that line of huge screenshots.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Swiftkey input would make a good gif.

Row of screenshots for every word? not so much.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Tried it out myself.

ijii fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 21, 2012

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

A Nexus 4.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ijii posted:

Tried it out myself.

Same:

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Swiftkey owns.

e:

FINE. Now fix your quotes.

I like Swiftkey but it's too overzealous about completing words that are already typed as I want them. Like if I type 'anal' it wants to make it 'analysis' (don't ask why I was texting anal please). But there are all sorts of mistakes that slip through in my texts like that.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
I really want to pick up Swiftkey but the upcoming Swiftkey Flow is putting me off from buying it since I know the moment I get it Flow will be out the next day.

Nupraptor
Feb 8, 2003

Vae Victus
I'm anxious to compare Swiftkey Flow to the 4.2 keyboard. The latter has a few quirks but I've been happier with it than any keyboard so far.

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah using the 4.2 keyboard has me really itching for Swiftkey Flow. I'm still using Swiftkey at the moment though, I prefer all the long press symbols on the main keyboard, and being able to swipe the '.' key to the right to get a '?'.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Is there some way to set up a gesture in Swype beta to delete the last word? Swiping left across the keyboard to delete is the biggest thing I miss from Swiftkey.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Evil Vin posted:

I really want to pick up Swiftkey but the upcoming Swiftkey Flow is putting me off from buying it since I know the moment I get it Flow will be out the next day.

I wish this were the case. I'd buy you SwiftKey right now

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Syrinxx posted:

Is there some way to set up a gesture in Swype beta to delete the last word? Swiping left across the keyboard to delete is the biggest thing I miss from Swiftkey.

Swipe from backspace to the left and it should delete word by word.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My dad got his first smartphone (a GNex) and I was hoping to set him up a Google account and give him some sweet apps, is there a new Goon-approved app list (didn't see much of anything in the OP) or should I just go through my own app list and give him the highlights?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Frozen-Solid posted:

Swipe from backspace to the left and it should delete word by word.

Thanks, I had no idea.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
Is there anyway to block ads without rooting?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
For internet ads there's an Adblock for Firefox Mobile, and if you are on wifi you could set up a ad-blocking host file on your router, I guess. No solution for app ads on cellular data though.

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.
I just tried out Swype for the first time and am really impressed. It is the most accurate out of any keyboard on any phone I've used. As much as I loved Swiftkey being able to often predict my sentences, I still had to go back to make a lot of corrections with my mistyping. I'll definitely try SwiftKey flow when it comes out, could be the best of both worlds.

A while back I was whinging about Ankidroid but after trying their latest beta build I have to say I am quite happy with it. They fixed most of the navigation issues I had and I really like the way they handle the spaced-repetition part of it. I'm still not crazy about having to use the desktop version, but after importing my cards the first time haven't had to go back to it. I'd still love it if I could sync with a more neutral service like Quizlet, but now that I spent the time converting all my flashcards to anki I think I'll be happy (at least until I want to move to another flashcard program).

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

C-Euro posted:

My dad got his first smartphone (a GNex) and I was hoping to set him up a Google account and give him some sweet apps, is there a new Goon-approved app list (didn't see much of anything in the OP) or should I just go through my own app list and give him the highlights?

Aside from the stuff in the OP, DemonMage has posted the best list that's helped me out quite a bit. I've dug it up here:

Teeter fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 22, 2012

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

What theme is that on Swiftkey?
Edit: "Dark" theme, nevermind :downs:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
What's the general con census on podcast apps? Which one is everyone using?

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

What's the general con census on podcast apps? Which one is everyone using?

PocketCast and BeyondPod get the most mentions around here.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Sendo posted:

PocketCast and BeyondPod get the most mentions around here.

Actually, I think most of the thread prefers GoodNews, but Pocket Cast, BeyondPod and Doggcatcher are all good alternatives depending on your needs and whether or not you have some kind of aversion to GReader.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Geektox posted:

Actually, I think most of the thread prefers GoodNews, but Pocket Cast, BeyondPod and Doggcatcher are all good alternatives depending on your needs and whether or not you have some kind of aversion to GReader.
I absolutely love GoodNews and pimp it any chance I get. It looks great, works perfectly, and it's the only thing that can do everything I need in the background without me needing to babysit it. The only real bug is on Google Reader's end, where it refuses to remove the Playlist tag but the dev has an inbuilt workaround that alleviates the issue when it occurs which is rarely.

I love it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I am a heavy podcast listener, and I have paid money for BeyondPod, Pocket Casts, and Doggcatcher. I have used the latest versions of all three for at least a week this fall, usually more.

I settled on BeyondPod. I have 'unlimited' data and I do a mix of streaming podcasts, and downloading podcasts but only for the ability to use Presto to play them at a faster rate. I used to not like BeyondPod because it was difficult about accepting non-downloaded episodes as, well, real episodes. It assumed you wanted to download everything and, say, a list of new episodes was a list of new downloaded episodes. They've fixed that.

Pocket Casts has fast updating thanks to running it's own server that does it's own update checks for you, and it also knows that people like to stream podcasts in addition to downloading them, but it's interface is strictly from the days when Android apps strived to be iClones. It's not ugly, but the beauty is only skin deep and you may quickly get sick of it, as well as it's lack of notification controls in ICS and beyond. The guys behind it keep promising a 4.0 to come eventually that will address everything, but that won't help you now. It handles show notes kind of badly, too.

DoggCatcher has as many options as BeyondPod in a clunkier interface, and also doesn't want to include episodes in it's playlists (Audio,Video,etc) if they haven't been downloaded first. This means streamers can not have a blended playlist of all their new episodes, they have to simply look at podcast view, and filter it to new podcasts, then tap on each show to see the new episodes. It seems to interpret a tap of the episode title as a download by default, so you have to find streaming under a menu.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Is there a decent alternative to Missed It for indicating missed calls / SMS / e-mails etc. as a widget? Since the last ICS update it just doesn't work properly, and, more importantly, the slider to make the widget background transparent doesn't do anything anymore. It looks proper manky. I've looked for an alternative but, to my surprise, haven't found any.

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.
Speak of podcast apps, is there one that lets you manually load files as podcasts?

I bought a few live podcasts that I want to listen to in my podcast app (PocketCasts) but can't figure out how. I tried downloading a few different apps but they all only let you add podcasts feeds, not individual files themselves.

I've been using the native music app but is easily forgets where I was last listening to the podcast, and I like having the "skip back x seconds" button.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What's a good simple automated free or cheap backup-in-case-of-loss app I can put on technologically illiterate relatives' phones?

Assuming it'll be cheap rather than free since it'd need to fund cloud storage space for total automation. Unless it hooked into dropbox/drive, I guess.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

MikeJF posted:

What's a good simple automated free or cheap backup-in-case-of-loss app I can put on technologically illiterate relatives' phones?

Assuming it'll be cheap rather than free since it'd need to fund cloud storage space for total automation. Unless it hooked into dropbox/drive, I guess.

Is a tech-illiterate person going to have anything on their phone that needs backing up?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Is a tech-illiterate person going to have anything on their phone that needs backing up?

Eh, there's a couple of apps I've installed for them, and they don't want to lose their stuff like smses and photos and things. (Although I can get them manually taking their photos off, since bandwidth.)

Actually, on a different note, an app that autosyncs their gallery to a folder on the desktop PC without going to the internet if they're on the home network would be pretty neat, since I live in a land of bandwidth limits.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 23, 2012

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
You could just use the Dropbox app to automatically upload all pictures taken. If you want to root it for them you could also run Titanium Backup to automatically make backups of all user apps and upload it to dropbox.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Pipski posted:

Is there a decent alternative to Missed It for indicating missed calls / SMS / e-mails etc. as a widget? Since the last ICS update it just doesn't work properly, and, more importantly, the slider to make the widget background transparent doesn't do anything anymore. It looks proper manky. I've looked for an alternative but, to my surprise, haven't found any.

I've found that UCCW does a good job of that. If you check out the 'show off your desktop' thread I've posted a couple of times on the last page or so, both of the themes I posted use UCCW to tell me how many texts/missed calls/etc I have.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Is there a rundown of the coolest-looking widgets out there? I installed Tweetdeck because it's less lovely than the Facebook or Twitter apps, but god are its widgets lovely-looking. I need more widgets to fill my homescreens, I am and addict, I need delicious widget crack. I am rooted running CM10, so if there's root-only stuff out there I can use that too.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

ilysespieces posted:

I've found that UCCW does a good job of that. If you check out the 'show off your desktop' thread I've posted a couple of times on the last page or so, both of the themes I posted use UCCW to tell me how many texts/missed calls/etc I have.

Thanks, looks good. I'll give it a go.

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Is there a rundown of the coolest-looking widgets out there? I installed Tweetdeck because it's less lovely than the Facebook or Twitter apps, but god are its widgets lovely-looking. I need more widgets to fill my homescreens, I am and addict, I need delicious widget crack. I am rooted running CM10, so if there's root-only stuff out there I can use that too.

Android Pro Widgets seems to be everyone's favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another
Anyone got a good music player recommendation? I'm having real problems getting Play Music not to shuffle things, if I wanted to play the Wicked soundtrack out of order I would have told it to but even though its in the right order on the list as soon as I click either the album to play or an individual song the whole thing gets put in a new random arrangement and no amount of messing around will fix it. This got me rather annoyed on the walk back from work.

• Locked thread