Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

I am going to be making stock from the two turkey backbones/necks I harvested for this year's thanksgiving dinner. Should I roast/saute the chicken parts before putting them in the pot, or go cold? Oh and what is the general rule for adding salt to the stock making process?

Roast em. You want all the browned bits. I go easy on the salt during the stock making part, you can always add later and there is a lot of reducing going on so your salt concentrations won't stay constant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Doh004 posted:

I usually stir it once every 15 minutes and I keep the lid on loosely. It's a very slow reduce. We sadly don't have a dutch oven here at my parents, but I think it will be okay in the pot, it's pretty heavy. I just need to find a cover that is oven safe. Most of the ones here have a "black" (not rubber) piece on the top of the lids.

Hurf a durf. I just used aluminum (not aluminium you drat brits) and that worked perfectly. All that fussing over nothing.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

I am going to be making stock from the two turkey backbones/necks I harvested for this year's thanksgiving dinner. Should I roast/saute the chicken parts before putting them in the pot, or go cold? Oh and what is the general rule for adding salt to the stock making process?
Roast them at least until they brown up and you start getting schaltz out of them. Depending on what veg you're using, it may profit from some roasting as well---I roast carrots and celery, for example, before using them in stock making.

Don't salt until the end---you'd rather add salt to an otherwise finished stock than have to add additional water to fix a too-salty stock (diluting all the other flavours in the process).

Edit: oh look, new page, e;fb, and so on

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

In addition to what's already been said, my secondary rule for salt is that if it tastes perfectly great and perfectly salty when you sample half a teaspoon, it'll be too salty if you have to eat or drink several mouthfuls. Don't give yourself a slightly too salty surprise when you eat proper meal proportions of whatever you're making.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I'm planning to do a turkey in a slow cooker, something I've never done before. Any tips, advice or similar? I've been advised to have ~1 inch of water at the bottom is that about right?

Are there any good links for slow cooker cooking?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Little_wh0re posted:

I'm planning to do a turkey in a slow cooker, something I've never done before. Any tips, advice or similar? I've been advised to have ~1 inch of water at the bottom is that about right?

I have done turkey breasts in a crock pot, before. I rubbed a compound butter beneath the skin, set it in the pot, and drizzled some olive oil on top, then liberally sprinkled some salt and pepper on it. Then just put the lid on top and cook until done. I didn't add any water.

You may want to crisp the skin in the oven or beneath the broiler afterward.

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011
I don't have archives, could someone grab the bulgolgi recipe for me?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3440988

SixthFloorFreak
Jun 18, 2005
Tried searching a few ways with no luck...would anyone happen to have the recipe for Jäger-doodle cookies. Saw it on here a couple years back and loved them, and want to make them again

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Ra-amun posted:

I don't have archives, could someone grab the bulgolgi recipe for me?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3440988

Here you go:

http://cl.ly/3v24062z3Q0S

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

So, how many of us are going to use tomorrow's leftovers to make turkeycheese?

I bought a tray of croissants specifically for making turkey salad sandwiches, it's almost better than the actual Thanksgiving meal.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
No turkeycheese. Just turkey sandwiches with lots of mustard.

Lots of mustard.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
Usually we make turkey congee with the leftover carcass and eat it with cut up pieces of century egg.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Charmmi posted:

Usually we make turkey congee with the leftover carcass and eat it with cut up pieces of century egg.
Do you make your own century eggs, and if so how?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I thought you were required by law to make pilgrim stacks? Toasted bread, cranberry relish (with mayo if you're a :btroll:), stuffing and sliced turkey.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

No turkeycheese. Just turkey sandwiches with lots of mustard.

Lots of mustard.

I'm not a big fan of mustard with turkey, personally. With roast beef, yes.

I've already begun the leftovers repurposing process - we had meatloaf for dinner tonight, and I'll be serving meatloaf sandwiches to anyone who's around at lunchtime tomorrow. Funny how almost anything can be repurposed into a delicious sandwich the next day.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Lasagna sandwich with butter. Don't knock it til you've tried it.

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

THE BEST HEADMISTRESS EVER
Ack, help! I'm making rib roast, also known as cote du bouef/ "yabba dabba do" from the French Laundry cookbook. Keller says to season the meat the night before "and place on a plate and refrigerate for one day". But do I cover the meat with tin foil or just stick that baby uncovered in the fridge? I don't want to dry out the meat. But maybe it's supposed to? Help, I don't want to ruin Thanksgiving!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Yehudis Basya posted:

Ack, help! I'm making rib roast, also known as cote du bouef/ "yabba dabba do" from the French Laundry cookbook. Keller says to season the meat the night before "and place on a plate and refrigerate for one day". But do I cover the meat with tin foil or just stick that baby uncovered in the fridge? I don't want to dry out the meat. But maybe it's supposed to? Help, I don't want to ruin Thanksgiving!
I'm not familiar with Keller's recipe, but I'd assume that he means uncovered. You can actually do this with beef until it appears pretty drat janky; you're pretty much just using your fridge to dry age the meat. A fridge is a pretty arid environment, so you're drying the meat slightly, which results in a deeper, `beefier' flavour.

There's also natural breakdown of tissue in the presence of oxygen, which has the effect of making the meat more tender. Combined with the flavour concentration this can really help out beef---usually you're forced to choose between flavourful and tough or tender and less flavourful, unless you get fancy with slow cooking, sous vide, or something like that.

That all being said, the effects are going to be pretty slight if you're just holding the meat overnight. But yeah, I'd guess uncovered and don't worry about it.

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

THE BEST HEADMISTRESS EVER

SubG posted:

I'm not familiar with Keller's recipe, but I'd assume that he means uncovered. You can actually do this with beef until it appears pretty drat janky; you're pretty much just using your fridge to dry age the meat. A fridge is a pretty arid environment, so you're drying the meat slightly, which results in a deeper, `beefier' flavour.

There's also natural breakdown of tissue in the presence of oxygen, which has the effect of making the meat more tender. Combined with the flavour concentration this can really help out beef---usually you're forced to choose between flavourful and tough or tender and less flavourful, unless you get fancy with slow cooking, sous vide, or something like that.

That all being said, the effects are going to be pretty slight if you're just holding the meat overnight. But yeah, I'd guess uncovered and don't worry about it.

Awesome, thank you! The meat is now uncovered. It sure is a gorgeous cut.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Doh004 posted:

I thought you were required by law to make pilgrim stacks? Toasted bread, cranberry relish (with mayo if you're a :btroll:), stuffing and sliced turkey.
And smothered in gravy. I'm a :btroll:(at least I hate mayo). Although turkeycheese does sound kind of interesting.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

RazorBunny posted:

So, how many of us are going to use tomorrow's leftovers to make turkeycheese?

I bought a tray of croissants specifically for making turkey salad sandwiches, it's almost better than the actual Thanksgiving meal.

I'm going to go for turkey pot pies myself.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Mach420 posted:

I'm going to go for turkey pot pies myself.

OH drat. That sounds delicious.

Crust or noodles?

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

tarepanda posted:

OH drat. That sounds delicious.

Crust or noodles?

Buttery pie crust!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I usually do pot pies later on in the leftovers cycle, depending on how much I have left.

My uses for leftover ham are a lot slimmer. Mostly just "slap on bread, eat." I bought only slightly less food this year than I did last year, and half as many people are showing up (7 down from 15), so the leftovers situation may get pretty crazy.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I bought some frozen green beans last night and accidentally left them on the counter overnight. Should they still be ok to cook with? They smell fine.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Toebone posted:

I bought some frozen green beans last night and accidentally left them on the counter overnight. Should they still be ok to cook with? They smell fine.

Yes.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Also I want to point out that a lot of gws people hang out in IRC all day. If you have some sort of time-sensitive Thanksgiving disaster question, pop in and see if someone can help!

http://mediaphage.net/foodchat.html

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush
So I am a vegetarian and do not have roasting pans. I am going to cook a chicken (3.5lb) for my parents today. I plan on following Bittman's recipe.

Am I better off cooking the chicken in a cast iron pan or glass baking dish?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Either will be fine, but the cast iron will need to be preheated. It also won't be as useful for making gravy.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I have come into possession of quite a bit of ground moose meat. What flavours go well with it? I've only ever had moose stew. I was thinking burgers, chilli, meatballs...but what kind of spices go best with game like moose?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Little_wh0re posted:

We've done ours in a slow cooker the last three years and it comes out excellent. Use beer as a marinate, stuff the bird with onions, thyme and carrots. Use an injector throughout to get the beer juice into the bird..

Exi7wound
Aug 22, 2004

LOGANO
Remember my name... you'll be screaming it later.
Is there any way that my turkey (16.5 lbs), cooked in an electric roaster at 325... can it possible be done after 3 hours?

My stick thermometer in the breast says 170 right now.

Help?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Wolfy posted:

And smothered in gravy. I'm a :btroll:(at least I hate mayo). Although turkeycheese does sound kind of interesting.

Yeah, gravy is a game changer. As long as you have the bread to support the extra liquid from the gravy then it's on.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Non-thanksgiving related but I'm making Naan for friends later this evening and am using the GWS wiki's recipe: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Naan but I'm fairly lactose intolerant so I was wondering if there was something I could substitute the yogurt with.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Exi7wound posted:

Is there any way that my turkey (16.5 lbs), cooked in an electric roaster at 325... can it possible be done after 3 hours?

Help?

Turn up to 375 and plan on dinner being a bit late while hoping for the best.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Exi7wound posted:

Help?
Yikes! We cooked at 13 pounder at those numbers and it came out fine. Turn it up to 375 as mentioned before and cross fingers. Don't go too high though.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Turn up to 375 and plan on dinner being a bit late while hoping for the best.

I think that he's saying, "could the turkey be done already?

What does the thigh/dark meat register at? If the thigh is still underdone, cover the breast with a double layer of foil and let it bake a bit longer.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Quick question: if I'm going to double up a recipe in the oven (say, two pork loins instead of one) and want to do them at the same time, is there a general rule for how long you should extend the cooking time for?

Exi7wound
Aug 22, 2004

LOGANO
Remember my name... you'll be screaming it later.
Turned it up, left it in for another hour... hoping for the best!

edit: juices are running clear from the breast and thigh, registering 175 on the stick. IDKWTF. Crossed fingers. We have a ham just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Exi7wound posted:

Turned it up, left it in for another hour... hoping for the best!

edit: juices are running clear from the breast and thigh, registering 175 on the stick. IDKWTF. Crossed fingers. We have a ham just in case.

FFS cut that sucker and taste it!