Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Do you want to hate the world? Are you regaining your faith in humanity? The Brandon Teena Story will fix that right up. Watch all these small town hicks insult, berate, and accuse Brandon Teena after she was raped and murdered for being a transgender.

Ride The Gravitron fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MustardMaster posted:

Now I'm watching The Great Happiness Space.

:psyduck:

I'm literally speechless. Oh my Lord.

Sort of the strip club concept except with no actual nudity and even a bigger emphasis on the customer being able to buy a meaningful relationship.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
I just got a Kindle Fire HD 8.9" only to find out that Netflix doesn't support HD streaming for Android tablets. :psyduck: The UI is great though! :v:

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

MustardMaster posted:

Now I'm watching The Great Happiness Space.

:psyduck:

I'm literally speechless. Oh my Lord.

I'd just like to point out that this man is speechless because his heart was just carved out of his chest. This is not a funny little documentary about Japanese pretty boys. This movie will wreck you.

...so maybe watch it after the holidays, I dunno.

MustardMaster
Oct 14, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sarchasm posted:

I'd just like to point out that this man is speechless because his heart was just carved out of his chest. This is not a funny little documentary about Japanese pretty boys. This movie will wreck you.

Excactly. I knew that hostesses existed, but actually witnessing what they do and - more importantly - seeing what kinda people they and their customers are is just completely baffling. Their customers seem like people from regular homes and regular families, not people from broken backgrouds and most of them must have had possibilies for normal jobs and careers, but they STILL choose to lead they lives like this. Especially all the interviews where the customers explain their logic for using so much money into hosts and why they are okay with it really twists your heart.

I understand prostitution, I get it, but actually treating whole human relationships as products must be some kind of a new low. Somebody give me a hug.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

MustardMaster posted:

I understand prostitution, I get it, but actually treating whole human relationships as products must be some kind of a new low. Somebody give me a hug.
That'll be $5.
:colbert:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I absolutely love Netflix Instant, but I was sad to see that as of November 15th, the only MST3K available was the movie. I know that they've had different episodes available at different times, so I was hoping that when the old crop expired that they'd put some new ones up there. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like that's happening. Does anyone know if there's plans to get more episodes on Netflix or if they're switching to a different distributor (Hulu Plus/Amazon Prime/etc.)? It looks like there's a few on Hulu, but that they're mostly the same ones that just expired on Netflix.

Given the nature of MST3K, it seems that streaming/digital distribution would be perfect (large catalog, low individual demand for many episodes) but all I can find is a few episodes on Shout! Factory, which are priced at $10 per episode, which is way too expensive and definitely outside of the normal pricing for digital downloads. I know that MST3K is a bit odd in that it's got a longer run-time than most TV shows, but pricing them like movies is really not realistic. Even old Star Trek is only $3 per episode, and I have to figure that if there's a "buy it at any price", it's that show, and they don't price like Shout! Factory does.

Am I out-of-luck in wanting to be able to watch MST3K on Netflix (or other streaming sites)?

Internet Gentleman
Mar 17, 2006

I'm so happy to be here.
I'm pretty sure getting the rights and agreements from all parties (MST3K/Best Brains/Whatever Movie Studios) is more of a hassle then Netflix wants to put the time into for a single movie. I'm guessing they'll deal with companies putting them out on DVD once the rights are cleared up.

You might try http://www.rifftrax.com/ for your MST3K fix.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Azathoth posted:

Am I out-of-luck in wanting to be able to watch MST3K on Netflix (or other streaming sites)?

Well, if nothing else, pretty much every episode of MST3k is on Youtube (most in full, 90 minute single videos) and no one ever bothers to take them down. May not be fully in the spirit of what you're looking for, but at least you know they're there. And for some episodes, that's pretty much the only way you'll get them.

Azathoth posted:

Given the nature of MST3K, it seems that streaming/digital distribution would be perfect (large catalog, low individual demand for many episodes) but all I can find is a few episodes on Shout! Factory, which are priced at $10 per episode, which is way too expensive and definitely outside of the normal pricing for digital downloads.

There are a handful of episodes on iTunes that are $5, not that that helps much. Most are $10.

The reason for the spotty selection and cost is that they have to pay for the license for both the show and the movie being used. The selection is further hampered by the fact that some episodes were originally released through Rhino and there seems to be some limitations in what Shout! can release from those. You can look here to see a big list of what's been released when. It's a bit of a clusterfuck that leads to things like Mitchell being out of print for years and people trying to sell sealed copies on Amazon for $80. Or the best Coleman Francis movie (the Skydivers) only being available in VHS.

So yeah, that's why Youtube's kinda your best bet.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Erebus posted:

The reason for the spotty selection and cost is that they have to pay for the license for both the show and the movie being used.
The irony being that a lot of those movies were completely unknown and forgotten before things like MST3K brought attention to them that made the license holders demand more money. Kind of like how DVD releases of some shows replace the music due to expensive licensing costs, even though it was usage in that show that made the music so popular to begin with. Copyright law is so drat stupid sometimes.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 22, 2012

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

casa de mi padre posted:

I just got a Kindle Fire HD 8.9" only to find out that Netflix doesn't support HD streaming for Android tablets. :psyduck: The UI is great though! :v:

I have a Nexus 7 and it streams HD fine?

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Azathoth posted:

I absolutely love Netflix Instant, but I was sad to see that as of November 15th, the only MST3K available was the movie. I know that they've had different episodes available at different times, so I was hoping that when the old crop expired that they'd put some new ones up there. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like that's happening. Does anyone know if there's plans to get more episodes on Netflix or if they're switching to a different distributor (Hulu Plus/Amazon Prime/etc.)? It looks like there's a few on Hulu, but that they're mostly the same ones that just expired on Netflix.

Since you've been on Hulu already, have you seen Cinematic Titanic? As far as I can tell it's the entire original cast from the Joel years.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Fayez Butts posted:

I have a Nexus 7 and it streams HD fine?
Why are you asking me? I don't own one.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.
I noticed Hobo With A Shotgun was on streaming today, and treated myself to the best parts (mainly The Plague stuff), then transitioned into Thankskilling for the holiday. Thankskilling was more entertaining than it should have been; it had enough trashy movie charm and insanity to make up for the embarrassingly bad acting.

What other good scuzzy/over-the-top/grindhousey/no-budget stuff is on streaming? I would include things like the Troma catalog, the Crank movies, or even homage-parodies like Black Dynamite in the category.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

casa de mi padre posted:

Why are you asking me? I don't own one.
The point is that Android Tablets can stream Netflix in HD.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
American Horror Story season one shows up tomorrow. I watched the first disc a couple weeks back and have been anxiously awaiting for it to show up on instant. It is absolutely bonkers in a good way.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

JohnnySavs posted:

I noticed Hobo With A Shotgun was on streaming today, and treated myself to the best parts (mainly The Plague stuff), then transitioned into Thankskilling for the holiday. Thankskilling was more entertaining than it should have been; it had enough trashy movie charm and insanity to make up for the embarrassingly bad acting.

What other good scuzzy/over-the-top/grindhousey/no-budget stuff is on streaming? I would include things like the Troma catalog, the Crank movies, or even homage-parodies like Black Dynamite in the category.
They may be better quality than what you're looking for, but a few good 70's exploitation movies on instant are Bucktown, Foxy Brown and Switchblade Sisters, and I've really enjoyed all of them.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Switchblade Sisters is amazing, but then maybe I'm just partial to movies where a shootout at a roller rink is a major plot point.

It's also one of Quentin Tarantino's favorite movies, and you can see it's influence on him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I tried watching Lillyhammer but was bored to tears after 40 minutes so I turned it off, does it pick up?

So instead I watched Memento for the first time in a decade and it's still loving amazing.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Switchblade Sisters is amazing, but then maybe I'm just partial to movies where a shootout at a roller rink is a major plot point.

It's also one of Quentin Tarantino's favorite movies, and you can see it's influence on him.

I'm glad to hear good things about this. I'd never heard of it and it's one of the movies screening at a horror/exploitation 35mm marathon I'm going to next weekend.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I tried watching Lillyhammer but was bored to tears after 40 minutes so I turned it off, does it pick up?

Not really.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.

Davedave24 posted:

If we're gonna talk about silly Japanese movies, I have to reccomend the recently added Karate-Robo Zaborgar. It's a remake of a 70's tokusatsu show that I feel like hits the right blend of sincerity and irony for a property so inherently ridiculous.

Thanks. watching it now.

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

Yes, this is going to hurt.

foodfight posted:

American Horror Story season one shows up tomorrow. I watched the first disc a couple weeks back and have been anxiously awaiting for it to show up on instant. It is absolutely bonkers in a good way.

I'm going to second this. I finished season 1 in three days and think it's a really fun show. I can now catch up on the second season!

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

extendedsolo posted:

I'm going to second this. I finished season 1 in three days and think it's a really fun show. I can now catch up on the second season!

If you thought Season 1 was bonkers...

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

traveling midget posted:

If you thought Season 1 was bonkers...

I don't think season 2 has beaten Dylan McDermott crying and masturbating while looking out his window yet.

(Season 2 spoilers) Anne Frank came close in terms of balls though.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

I don't think season 2 has beaten Dylan McDermott crying and masturbating while looking out his window yet.

(Season 2 spoilers) Anne Frank came close in terms of balls though.

True. Season 2 has a distinct lack of man rear end.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Surviving Progress was a good doc about our (lack of) progress, the selfishness of man, and our coming demise. I kind of felt like it tried to say a little too much and lost some direction and momentum towards the middle, but it definitely gave me something to think about.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Joe Dante's The Hole is supposedly up now. Anyone know if its any good?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

foodfight posted:

Joe Dante's The Hole is supposedly up now. Anyone know if its any good?

It's really good, especially since they don't make horror movies for kids anymore.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Now I know exactly what I am watching tonight!

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Hell on Wheels is on Netflix now. Is it any good? As dumb as it sounds, the boring title is probably why I've stayed away from it.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Hell on Wheels is on Netflix now. Is it any good? As dumb as it sounds, the boring title is probably why I've stayed away from it.

A lot of people here like it but I've tried to get into it twice and it hasn't stuck.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Good characters, story kinda wanders around aimlessly. I like it ok.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I only watched the first season, myself, but I found it to have a pretty weak plot impetus (which is immediately mostly abandoned anyway) with competently-designed characters (who don't seem to have developmental arcs) that ends up not really doing much of anything with any of the aforementioned.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

The Ambassador is now on Instant which is (most likely) the ballsiest documentary ever filmed and you will probably watch this with your jaw hanging open for a good portion of the running time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4MVbAmin5c

Honestly the less you know about this film before going in the better, it adds more to the insanity.

Bro Dad fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 27, 2012

JibbaJabbaJimmy
May 21, 2001
I'll second The Ambassador recommendation. It took about half the film before I became convinced that what I was watching was real, except for, of course, the actual character of the ambassador. Its a really daring, interesting, documentary.

Red Chapel, Mads Bruggers, previous documentary set in N Korea is also on Netflix, or it was last I checked. Its worth a watch if you enjoy The Ambassador.

JibbaJabbaJimmy fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 27, 2012

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I've been meaning to catch up on past seasons of shows, specifically Community and Walking Dead. Is Netflix alone worth it or would Hulu Plus be a better alternative?

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I've been meaning to catch up on past seasons of shows, specifically Community and Walking Dead. Is Netflix alone worth it or would Hulu Plus be a better alternative?

Well, with those two you'll need both because Netflix has Walking Dead and Hulu has Community.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Well, with those two you'll need both because Netflix has Walking Dead and Hulu has Community.

I figured that would be the case :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Me, my roommate, and my GF all loved it.

• Locked thread