Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
I tried to convince my boss that wearing my FUR HAT - YUKON STYLE would be totally legit on Remembrance Day but he didn't buy it. Such bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

A few of our guys are, I think the rule was either the whole section wears them or no one does.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2012/11/08/ns-leaked-military-video.html

Some smart people. I thought we learned out lesson about video taping things...

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

swagger like us posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2012/11/08/ns-leaked-military-video.html

Some smart people. I thought we learned out lesson about video taping things...

I've never even heard of CFB Greenwood. Sounds like an air force officer's mess dinner in 2010? Classy.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I overheard two Air Force chiefs discussing this in town. Heads are going to roll, apparently it's gone as high as CDS and MacKay.

ToeShoes
Sep 8, 2011

"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"
"I'm pretty positive if anyone of you was of this visible minority group, you'd be offended," posted Michael_Langan.

If you're offended, why don't you just say so. You don't have to be part of the visible minority being made fun of to be offended.

It's like people making black jokes. It can still be offensive, even if you scoped the room looking for dark skinned people's.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Anyone know where I can see the original video?

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep
That video is stupid and terrible, but I think the CBC is really making a mountain out of a mole hill on this one.

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish
I was wondering if any of you registered to get a discount on this site. They ask for a photo of your ID card to prove that you are an active member.

Am I even allowed to send them that information in the first place?

https://oakleyforces.ca/

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I would hold out on doing that until you ask someone in your chain or see if there's a policy on faxing your ID. You'd think just contacting them from your forces.ca email would be enough.

I wish they listed their products or what the discount rate was though.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Frog 1.0 posted:

I was wondering if any of you registered to get a discount on this site. They ask for a photo of your ID card to prove that you are an active member.

I just sent them a scan of the front of my temp ID. v:shobon:v If anyone wants me to look up the pricing on specific items, I'd be happy to pull that up. In general, though, it looks to be about 30% off.

And you can browse the catalog without registering, just click the red "CLICK HERE" above the login boxes on the login page.

e: The front of the permanent ID doesn't have any information other than name, rank, status, and expiration anyway, does it? I mean, the CBC aired that for a story about one LtCmdr who was questioned about his gender by Air Canada.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 16, 2012

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish

Canuck-Errant posted:

e: The front of the permanent ID doesn't have any information other than name, rank, status, and expiration anyway, does it? I mean, the CBC aired that for a story about one LtCmdr who was questioned about his gender by Air Canada.

That's what I thought too, but like it's said above. If you register from your forces.ca email account isnt it proof enough? Oh well, 30% off on some sweet sunglasses and backpack is good though

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Canuck-Errant posted:

The front of the permanent ID doesn't have any information other than name, rank, status, and expiration anyway, does it? I mean, the CBC aired that for a story about one LtCmdr who was questioned about his gender by Air Canada.

New permanent IDs have gender now I believe, for this reason.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Is there a way to get those boot socks for less than $35? They look pretty good.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Frog 1.0 posted:

That and Arc Teryx LEAF are absolutely fantastic loving deals. Sign up for them both.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I wish that Arc Teryx came in CADPAT, at least for the jackets.
I'll probably get one of those bags though.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I have the Combat jacket and its the best jacket I've ever bought. Got it at the PX in KAF for stupid cheap. I wish they would have had more there. I would have bought one of everything.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Incidentally, it looks like the boot socks are 24.50 if you look at the "Other Gear" page instead of the footwear page. v:shobon:v

Nillerz
Jun 24, 2008

Nillerz posted:

Why don't I eat veggies? I don't look at them as *food*, in the classical sense.
AM I POSTING ABOUT HOW WOMEN ARE STUPID, WEAK AND WORTHLESS? REMIND ME THAT I AM AN INFANTILE MANCHILD WHO REFUSES TO EAT VEGETABLES

that's what I've got.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Hard to believe this thread is nearly 3 years old. That's longer than a lot of people I know actually stayed in the CF.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
We should commemorate its 3rd anniversary with a parade. We'll have the vets and the cadets lead the way and have the band keep changing the pace.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Only if about half of us can parade in CADPAT.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Since I'm out now I guess I'll have to wear my leather biker vest with every single patch/pin I own.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Barrakketh posted:

We should commemorate its 3rd anniversary with a parade. We'll have the vets and the cadets lead the way and have the band keep changing the pace.

Band? All you need are pipers and one drunk guy with a dru- oh wait.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Hey guys, guess what! Tomorrow I get to gently caress myself and my career!

I've been trying since I got to my regiment to become a heavy equipment operator. The course is six months long in gagetown next spring and so far I'm slotted to go on it. Today however, I found out that I have to go see the RSM tomorrow to resign my ToS or I won't get the course. I have a year and a half left on my contract, and as much as I want to go heavy, there's no way I'm going to commit to being an engineer for the next 6.5 years so I can get the course. So for the next 1.5 years I'm probably going to get shafted out of advance promotion and any good courses that come by because my CoC won't think I'm dedicated to the army. Woo loving hoo.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
Why don't you want to resign? You can always put in a 6-month VR somewhere down the line. Sounds like a pretty decent new ToS - for me when I was coming up on 2 and a bit years in I was given the option of signing the full IE25 or not (i.e. releasing).

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Samu posted:

Hey guys, guess what! Tomorrow I get to gently caress myself and my career!

I've been trying since I got to my regiment to become a heavy equipment operator. The course is six months long in gagetown next spring and so far I'm slotted to go on it. Today however, I found out that I have to go see the RSM tomorrow to resign my ToS or I won't get the course. I have a year and a half left on my contract, and as much as I want to go heavy, there's no way I'm going to commit to being an engineer for the next 6.5 years so I can get the course. So for the next 1.5 years I'm probably going to get shafted out of advance promotion and any good courses that come by because my CoC won't think I'm dedicated to the army. Woo loving hoo.

How is your re-up 5 years? Mine was just another three.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
They recently changed the Continuing Engagement contract to be a minimum of 5 years, at least in my trade. So my options are 5 or 25 years.

I got the weekend to think about it. Meeting with the CO on Wednesday. I basically told my Warrant that at this point in time I don't know if I want to resign or not. I'm fine with spending another year in a field troop and making my decision next year. It's always been my plan to do 4 years in the Army and then go back to school. I love the job it's just always been my plan to switch to reserves and finish my education.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

Only if about half of us can parade in CADPAT.

Thats how proper troops parade :c00lbert:

Also, we gotta have the mounted troop out in front so everyone else can march through horse-poo poo.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
This year not only did my reserve unit had untrained guys parade in CADPAT, we also had guys who just got sworn in but hadn't yet got their CADPAT march in the parade too. What the gently caress CoC?

Honestly, its such a gently caress up every year I just feel like I'd rather do it in civvies and pay my respects that way instead of being in that gong show.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

swagger like us posted:

This year not only did my reserve unit had untrained guys parade in CADPAT, we also had guys who just got sworn in but hadn't yet got their CADPAT march in the parade too. What the gently caress CoC?

Honestly, its such a gently caress up every year I just feel like I'd rather do it in civvies and pay my respects that way instead of being in that gong show.

I have never been denied a memo stating to go with my girlfriends family to a small remembrance day ceremony. I just stand with the rest of the civilians in my DEU's.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Ya, my battery was always poo poo for approving memos, but they would never deny you a memo to go home(even out of province) for a remembrance day ceremony.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Hizawk posted:

I have never been denied a memo stating to go with my girlfriends family to a small remembrance day ceremony. I just stand with the rest of the civilians in my DEU's.

Yup same here, just with my mom in my home town. Only times I missed doing that were when I was overseas and when I was in BMQ.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
Last year I was on a list to attend at Vimmy Ridge which would have be fantastic, but then our ship's schedule changed and it didn't happen. :(

This year everyone that wasn't otherwise employed was ordered to attend a local ceremony in N1's, so instead of going downtown I went to the closer Langford one. Turnout was way more than I'd expected, but the ceremony kind of sucked (the only band they could scrounge was the local Air Cadet band, and they just weren't up to the task).

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

And so the government has cancelled the F-35.

Let the wailing and screaming from zoomies begin.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I really thought they were going to stick with it. $30B could have bought a lot of airplanes.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2012/12/06/michael-den-tandt-conservatives-pull-the-ejector-seat-on-f-35-purchase/

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

I really thought they were going to stick with it. $30B could have bought a lot of airplanes.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2012/12/06/michael-den-tandt-conservatives-pull-the-ejector-seat-on-f-35-purchase/

Hahahaha but not a lot of F-35s.

I think it was the right decision. Yes our CF-18s need replacement, but we need to have an actual competition to decide which one is best for our needs.

And the grits are calling for McKay's resignation. This is a pretty serious issue for the Conservatives, after YEARS of cheerleading for it.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

MA-Horus posted:

Hahahaha but not a lot of F-35s.

I think it was the right decision. Yes our CF-18s need replacement, but we need to have an actual competition to decide which one is best for our needs.

And the grits are calling for McKay's resignation. This is a pretty serious issue for the Conservatives, after YEARS of cheerleading for it.
What's a grit I don't think I've heard this term before

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010
If you're super old then grits and tories refer to two of our political parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Grits: Liberals
Tories: Conservatives

42 billion, up from 16 billion. Jesus gently caress that's a major oopsie.