Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Shalinor posted:

Greedmonger, that sandbox MMO inspired by the likes of Ultima Online / with supposedly amazing NPC scheduling tech - looks to be doing amazingly well.

... which is totally awesome. Really want to play that game.

This actually looks pretty interesting to me as a former UO player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
It boggles the mind that Molyneux is using Kickstarter. I'm sure he could have found 450,000 pounds somewhere along the line of creating all those games in the meantime - what was Fable III's budget, I wonder? Nostalgia is one thing but it's not like he's suddenly reappeared from a long leave of absence, ready and raring to make those games you love. He's got a long track record and if anything he's gotten further and further away from the games that people remember him for. And anybody wondering about the competency of 22cans, feel free to try their app Curiosity. Please.

Shadowgate ends in a few days and they still need 20k, so if you were looking at that before now is the time!

Mozi fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Nov 22, 2012

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Mozi posted:

And anybody wondering about the competency of 22cans, feel free to try their app Curiosity. Please.

Isn't it just conceptual art applied to games? :confused: Is there something actively wrong with it, or do you just not like what it is?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Curiosity says nothing about their games because it is seriously not a game whatsoever. It seemingly does not intend to be one, either.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So the part were Millionbux said 22 cans were first gonna make 22 smaller projects like Curiosity and then focus on their final project that was gonna be a proper game was what, yet another lie?
I love hearing the guy spin his yarns and he's one of the best talkers in the industry but no way in hell am I giving him any money before him and his studio has something proper to show.

In other news Shadowgate wil be ported to Ouya if the reach their third stretchgoal.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Lodin posted:

So the part were Millionbux said 22 cans were first gonna make 22 smaller projects like Curiosity and then focus on their final project that was gonna be a proper game was what, yet another lie?

Pretty much, yeah.

The thing is, it seems like he really wants to be an innovator and an industry leader, he just doesn't realize leaders actually lead and don't just talk about it. He has no bold new direction because he changes it every time he sees someone else innovating in his stead. So there's just no self awareness as he jumps onto the nostalgia kickstarter bandwagon, just the idea that "that's what innovative companies are doing".

Of course, while he genuinely sounds sincere, he shamelessly uses every psychological ploy in the book every time he talks about his projects, and I've got to wonder how conscious of that he is. He's always going on about a vision for people to buy into, he always spins a colourful history for his idea, everything in the past is "flawed" and he knows how to fix it. It's a point for point list of how to sell people things which he vocalises with this perfect rehearsed sincerity.

It's really just fascinating to watch, from a purely academic perspective, like a bumbling stage magician trying so very hard to impress a jaded audience with passable renditions of card tricks they've seen a hundred times before.

Except it's not a stage show, it's a fundraiser, and it's nothing approaching the kind of transparency and honesty required to make me want to part with my money.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Mozi posted:

It boggles the mind that Molyneux is using Kickstarter. I'm sure he could have found 450,000 pounds somewhere along the line of creating all those games in the meantime - what was Fable III's budget, I wonder?

Getting out from under a publisher's thumb is a pretty big incentive to Kickstart your game rather than go through more traditional means of funding.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Obsurveyor posted:

Getting out from under a publisher's thumb is a pretty big incentive to Kickstart your game rather than go through more traditional means of funding.

Although in Molyneux case, it's a terrifying idea.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Has no-one yet commented on the nine-month dev time for Godus? That hardly seems like anywhere enough time.

Obsurveyor posted:

Molyneux is one of the few people that a publisher wouldn't dick around, because they know a game with his name on it will sell. The guy's been best buddies with Microsoft for years - I'm sure they would have stumped up the cash in an instant. And if he really wants to stay independent he could just go to the ATM and withdraw half a mil - the guy self-funded the development of Fable, for gently caress's sake. It feels rather shabby for someone in his position to be holding out a begging bowl.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DoctorTristan posted:

Has no-one yet commented on the nine-month dev time for Godus? That hardly seems like anywhere enough time.

Molyneux is one of the few people that a publisher wouldn't dick around, because they know a game with his name on it will sell. The guy's been best buddies with Microsoft for years - I'm sure they would have stumped up the cash in an instant. And if he really wants to stay independent he could just go to the ATM and withdraw half a mil - the guy self-funded the development of Fable, for gently caress's sake. It feels rather shabby for someone in his position to be holding out a begging bowl.

It's all just free advertising for 22cans, nothing more, and if it nets some extra cash, good for them. The way you stay relevant in the game biz is to be written about. As others have said, it's not that big a deal if He or the SHAKER game people or whomever come out the gates asking for money. They don't ruin anything. The people who, with their rose colored glasses, immediately give things to them, regardless of quality of work, are the ones who give the impression that stuff like that is acceptable.

It's really kinda hosed up when I read people give the reason that "well, I don't care. Ten or twenty years ago I really loved such and such a game, therefore I shall give some amount of money to the maker of that game, despite the dearth of reasons beyond me liking that one game when I was younger." Blah.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Lodin posted:

I love hearing the guy spin his yarns and he's one of the best talkers in the industry but no way in hell am I giving him any money before him and his studio has something proper to show.

In other news Shadowgate wil be ported to Ouya if the reach their third stretchgoal.

I REEEEEALLY hope Shadowgate gets funded. Im afraid its going to be a photo-finish :ohdear:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

DoctorTristan posted:

Please tell me that there isn't a gestation and birth metaphor explicit to that schedule.

Dozeworthy
Oct 9, 2012
It's weird that the Barkley 2 interview article didn't include what is currently the greatest Barkley 2-related image in the gallery.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.
I'm pretty sure GODUS is gonna be a much smaller-scale game then what you guys are imagining.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Got an email today that Predestination has gone to Kickstarter. Can't remember too much about it, it looks like your average 4X game, but hey.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dozeworthy posted:

It's weird that the Barkley 2 interview article didn't include what is currently the greatest Barkley 2-related image in the gallery.

I'm getting some huge Zyborne Clock vibes from this, which is a Good Thing.

edit: vv I know yeah, I more meant FYAD's awesome fanart which took the awful concepts and designs and put a huge amount of effort into them. I'm expecting GOTY 2013.

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Nov 22, 2012

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

SomeChump posted:

I'm getting some huge Zyborne Clock vibes from this, which is a Good Thing.

Yes, except unlike the Zybourne Clock guys, the Barkley guys have already proven they can make a long, fun, complex game and they're good at it, especially the fun part.

RE: Kinetic Void, yeah, I funded those guys too, and I think overall it's a stronger, more solid project, since they understand their limits and have a good organization going. I'm just weak when it comes to space sims. I don't think Limit Theory will get fully funded anyway.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

I wish it was more like an investment platform, so you could get equity in a project instead of just access and gewgaws, but that's legally unfeasible for now.

Gambitious allows exactly that. However it's based in Europe due to the legal issues mentioned. Unfortunately, investing is not allowed for U.S. Citizens (though they can pledge).

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
There are tons of services that do that (scroll down to Loans and Equity)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Lodin posted:

Not a lie; GODYA or whatever this thing is called is one of the 22 things (cooperation).

Natrapx
Jan 13, 2010

The x is for xenogamy
I will sink all my money into Peter Molyneux on the slightest hope that one day I shall play Dungeon Keeper 3 (even if it is under a different name). Backed Godus to hope realise that dream!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

PBio posted:

I will sink all my money into Peter Molyneux on the slightest hope that one day I shall play Dungeon Keeper 3 (even if it is under a different name). Backed Godus to hope realise that dream!
Ironically Dungeon Keeper 3 under a different name is failing on Kickstarter as we speak even as Molyneaux's Populus clone potentially succeeds.

Axegrinder
Jul 26, 2004
Sometimes sarcasm can help us think more clearly.
I don't get the Dungeon Keeper vibe from Maia, despite the fact that they have a lot of similarities. It looks limiting, like Dungeon Keeper re-imagined by an accountant.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Axegrinder posted:

I don't get the Dungeon Keeper vibe from Maia, despite the fact that they have a lot of similarities. It looks limiting, like Dungeon Keeper re-imagined by an accountant.

Have you seen the newest video. Because it looks exactly the same as DK but on a new engine. There even are chickens!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, War for the Overworld, however , seems a lot more like a proposed Dungeon Keeper 3.

They were planning to start up a kickstarter pretty soon, but I wouldn't be surprised if they end up postponing it, since Godus is probably going to wring cash from the same group of people.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am pretty excited that Barkley Et Cetera is getting a Kickstarter sequel. My long-simmering loathing of Japanese RPGs (a result of when my friends went from talking to me about how great the Fallout games were to telling me how Final Fantasy VII was better than any CRPG ever :smith:) has kept me from ever playing the original, despite laughing at just about every screenshot I have ever seen. Since my reaction to the screenshots in that CrookedB interview was pretty similar ("status: neurotypical") I am going to swallow my JRPride and get behind this, I think. Oh no, Orzo beat me to mentioning this :(

Maluco Marinero posted:

Small studios deserve your attention much more than these nostalgia hawks.
Please support my fan-made spiritual sequel to Pac-Man, "Nostalgia Hawks."

evilmiera posted:

Now to find some way to sell a kidney to be able to afford support for this and Shut up and jam Gaiden 2 both. Oh, and let's not forget Shadowgate, Maia, Spud's Quest, and post-kickstarter backingupgrades for Star Citizen.
You know I care deeply about you, EvilMeira, insofar as I can care about someone who might actually just be an AI that talks to me sometimes. But I do not want you to go bankrupt being such a good person. :(

MrBims posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
You, though, I do want you to go bankrupt. You keep your mean negativity away from poor EvilMeira :mad:

(By the way, I am nearly positive it is not a gimmick, for SECRET REASONS)

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Josh Lesnick, notable crazy person webcomicker, is making a roguelike crossed with Animal Crossing. Oh and it's going on android devices. They have the modest goal of 4000 bucks and they're already halfway there.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Lord Lambeth posted:

Josh Lesnick, notable crazy person webcomicker, is making a roguelike crossed with Animal Crossing. Oh and it's going on android devices. They have the modest goal of 4000 bucks and they're already halfway there.

They're making it for Android? They're placing an OUYA port before an iOS port? Yeesh.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Megazver posted:

They're making it for Android? They're placing an OUYA port before an iOS port? Yeesh.

I guess they hate money.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Megazver posted:

In their defense, if they're making it for Android first (it does have a larger userbase) then an OUYA port would be a comparable piece of piss to make. An iOS port is actual extra work.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Megazver posted:

Targeting Android does not mean targeting Ouya. There are other reasons to choose it. You can have just about any operating system and develop for Android. You need a Mac to develop for iOS. More programming knowledge is quickly applicable to Android than to iOS.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

MikeJF posted:

In their defense, if they're making it for Android first (it does have a larger userbase) then an OUYA port would be a comparable piece of piss to make. An iOS port is actual extra work.

And, from what I hear, users with way less money, fifty different wonky versions of the OS to make the game work on and a crazy piracy rate.

Obsurveyor posted:

Targeting Android does not mean targeting Ouya

I was talking about the stretch goals.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Megazver posted:

And, from what I hear, users with way less money, fifty different wonky versions of the OS to make the game work on and a crazy piracy rate.

Why to go with the hyperbole.

In any case, if they're familiar with the development tools for Android and lack the equipment for iOS, then it makes sense to develop for Android. That extra thousand dollars to hit the iOS stretch goal is probably 'buy a Mac'.

Tyrsell
Nov 5, 2008

Axegrinder posted:

Davincie posted:

Have you seen the newest video. Because it looks exactly the same as DK but on a new engine. There even are chickens!

SubNat posted:

Yeah, War for the Overworld, however , seems a lot more like a proposed Dungeon Keeper 3.

They were planning to start up a kickstarter pretty soon, but I wouldn't be surprised if they end up postponing it, since Godus is probably going to wring cash from the same group of people.

The problem with all these Dungeon Keeper spiritual successor type games is that none of them have figured out what made that franchise so great was the humor.

The games weren't great because instead of a hero saving the world, you were on the other side, and it wasn't great because you were sending an army of minions that you didn't control to take over the world for you. The reason people enjoyed the games and kept coming back was because of stuff like one of your creatures farts as an attack or the fact that you had an army of the most evil creatures the world has ever known, and all they ate were chickens.

I have yet to see a Dungeon Keeper imitator that has been able to recreate that type of absurdity of humor.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Tyrsell posted:

The problem with all these Dungeon Keeper spiritual successor type games is that none of them have figured out what made that franchise so great was the humor.

The games weren't great because instead of a hero saving the world, you were on the other side, and it wasn't great because you were sending an army of minions that you didn't control to take over the world for you. The reason people enjoyed the games and kept coming back was because of stuff like one of your creatures farts as an attack or the fact that you had an army of the most evil creatures the world has ever known, and all they ate were chickens.

I have yet to see a Dungeon Keeper imitator that has been able to recreate that type of absurdity of humor.
Maia has humor as one of its stated goals. It even has chickens.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Maia has humor as one of its stated goals. It even has chickens.

Yeah man, what more do you want?!

(I think indirect-control games are cool as hell, but I think most popular ones aren't built around strategic combat like DK was.)

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Oldschool puzzler Dizzy gets a kickstarter

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/theolivertwins/dizzy-returns?ref=live

Don't know about many of you guys but Dizzy was one of the bigger games of my childhood

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Well, that's worth 10 of my money.

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

a̸ ̕s̡cŗeam͟i͠ng͞ ͘sk͏u̢l̨l i̡s y͝o͡ųr o͡n͟l͞y ͢comp̛ani̡o͞n͝

Little_wh0re posted:

Oldschool puzzler Dizzy gets a kickstarter

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/theolivertwins/dizzy-returns?ref=live

Don't know about many of you guys but Dizzy was one of the bigger games of my childhood

I was real excited for this for about ten seconds, then I saw it's being developed for iOS which I don't use so I didn't donate. Sorry O.Twins :sigh:

Meanwhile and very related, Spud's Quest, etc, etc

edit OH poo poo I misread it it IS for PC as well as iOS??? Well, take my :10quid: after all, all is right with the world

sharts fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Nov 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Spud's quest only requiring 5k as opposed to the 350k of the Dizzy kickstarter is kind of obvious. Then again, I guess they're in different stages of development? What's going to cost more in making Dizzy? They're using a larger studio I guess.