Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

tarepanda posted:

How do people usually browse SA?

On smaller forums, I read every single sub-forum and check out the new topics/posts, but SA is just too huge and I gave up at the very beginning... now I only ever go to my control panel to check new posts on threads I have tagged.

Another vote for User CP's bookmarked threads. In a normal browse, I will choose the shorter threads (that have less than 100 new posts) to kill off each time I come, but have many bookmarked threads for a longer reading session--A/Ts, Academic stuff in subjects I like, GWS threads, GBS threads that have gotten away from me--that I mean to catch up on sometime.

I used to dip into GBS just to see if there was any front page news-type things, and for a while checked for new EN threads that intrigued me, but now I don't do either often. I should, because stickied threads for important things don't show up in User CP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I had stomach flu, the worst of which was a week ago.

Should I be spending Thanksgiving with my family, where I will be around baby nieces and nephews?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Steve Yun posted:

Should I be spending Thanksgiving with my family, where I will be around baby nieces and nephews?

What are you like right now?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Feel fine.

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
You're probably not contagious anymore, especially if you're feeling fine now. Just wash your hands frequently and stuff.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
You say that the worst of the flu was a week ago. That means symptoms probably developed quite a bit earlier than that. I was taught that viral infection/transmission risk is best measured from onset and not intensity, meaning the more important figure is when you first started to feel ill. A week and a day or two is more than long enough.

If you haven't had a fever in a day or two, you're safe. While you can infect someone up to 7 days after developing the flu, that chance gradually decreases and by 5 days it's quite unlikely. If you're feeling well I'd go. Just practice good hygiene (wash hands frequently, don't cough in your hands, don't get all up in baby's face).

e: beaten soundly!

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Have there ever been any accidentally mass-produced sex toys? I don't mean euphemistically marketed 'massagers.' I mean products that were unexpected hits because horny customers found other uses for them, maybe in a time when there were more laws about this kind of thing.

I have no idea how I'd google this question.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
This was a pretty notorious case of that
http://realitywired.com/morally-repressed-mattel-pulls-vibrating-harry-potter-broomstick/

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008
I caught this on Cracked at some point and wanted to know what kinds of things I should never buy at the grocer in bulk. (I always feel so guilty comparing cucumbers for size--"they're sold by weight, damnit, I don't judge!:(" It's not full of ready-to-go manufactured accidental sex toys so much as inventive uses of produce and household goods, but I believe the writer included a blog or site as a source, and I'll leave further investigation up to you.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Liebfraumilch posted:

I caught this on Cracked at some point

What the hell? No Yaddle Rig?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mescal posted:

Have there ever been any accidentally mass-produced sex toys? I don't mean euphemistically marketed 'massagers.' I mean products that were unexpected hits because horny customers found other uses for them, maybe in a time when there were more laws about this kind of thing.

I mean, they're very popular for their intended use as well, but I've heard from a lot of sources that electric toothbrushes are a popular alternative for people who are too embarrassed to buy a vibrator.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Steve Yun posted:

"Stomach flu" is actually not a thing, it's just a catch-all name for a bunch of unrelated infections (none of which is influenza) and is also is sometimes used for food poisoning as well, because they all produce fairly similar symptoms. Without knowing what you actually had it's impossible to say if you'd still be infectious, but if you don't seem to be sick any more you're probably fine. If you're worried, avoid breathing on people.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Dudebro posted:

I have a pair of Shure 315. These ones are much better than the Shures of 5-10 years ago because everything detaches from the actual earbud and you can get the triple flange things that go right in your ear. I haven't found anything better for portable use. So when the wire inevitably cuts out you can get another one for cheap (definitely less than $20). The actual whole earbuds is at least $200 though, I think.

If the actual earbuds give out then I feel I've gotten my money's worth because before I've had to replace the whole thing multiple times.

Samopsa posted:

Get some in-ears, the Creative EP630 or Sennheiser CX300 are basically the same, sound great and are about 20-30 bucks or so. I have used my current pair for about 2 years now, and the past 6 years I've gone trough 3 sets of 'em. The difference between standard buds and in-ears is staggering.

e: Oh, and if I compare them to some no-name 5 bucks in-ears, the EP630 is miles and miles ahead. The sound is crisp and the bass is full, not tinny.

I've checked out the pricing on the headphones you've both listed, Shures seem hideously expensive, but the Panasonics or that CX300 are more manageable, I'll keep them in mind, thanks :)

I have another question - I think I'd like to have some kind of smartphone application for wiping the phone's memory and such. But I don't even know if such applications exist and what I would have to do use them in case of losing my phone :downs:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Szurumbur posted:

I have another question - I think I'd like to have some kind of smartphone application for wiping the phone's memory and such. But I don't even know if such applications exist and what I would have to do use them in case of losing my phone :downs:

iOS has "Find my iPhone" and Android has "Lookout" that can do stuff like that.

Telling us what phone you have would help.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

FCKGW posted:

iOS has "Find my iPhone" and Android has "Lookout" that can do stuff like that.

Telling us what phone you have would help.

Yeah, sorry - I have an Android phone, HTC Desire (Z, if that matters), to be exact.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Szurumbur posted:

Yeah, sorry - I have an Android phone, HTC Desire (Z, if that matters), to be exact.

The wife and I use PhoneLocator Pro and I guess it's all right... I've never had to use it. You can set a bunch of options to wipe your phone for example if someone tries to change the sim card or you text your super secret delete everything code to your phone. It can also turn the volume up and play the alarm if you can't find the phone or turn on GPS so you can find it if it's lost.

My question is this... what's the name for the kind of drawings that are just made with straight lines? They're just geometric patterns but you'll take 360 straight lines and make a circle with them. I'd like to get a new desktop background but I can't seem to find the right terms to search for.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Mescal posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Vibratex-HV-250R-Hitachi-Magic-Massager/dp/B00005M1WE

Read about this in an Atlantic article all about vibrators. I think Hitachi has never said anything officially about it being used for that, of course.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Szurumbur posted:

I'm considering buying new headphones, and was wondering just how much can their quality (or price, I guess) affect the music? I don't want to buy those high-end Sennheizer ones, since they are far too expensive for me, but last time I had bought a pair of Sony ear buds and some cheap no-name ones and have noticed little difference. I've also compared the specifications on various ones and it seems that most of low- to middle-price ear buds have very similar ones, so I was wondering if I'm missing something or have some faulty ears or maybe they just aren't that different?

If the quality of the music is good, they can be amazing. After buying my first set of nice quality earphones, I spent the better part of the day listening to every song I could because of how much better everything sounded.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dudebro posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Vibratex-HV-250R-Hitachi-Magic-Massager/dp/B00005M1WE

Read about this in an Atlantic article all about vibrators. I think Hitachi has never said anything officially about it being used for that, of course.

Just a heads up that the frequently bought together items are very :nws:

My favorite Mother's Day ad from Newegg.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Do ants carry any form of bacteria or disease with them? Like, normal ants you might find swarming in your house, descending on any food you leave uncovered for more than 30 seconds.

Just curious.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
Would anyone be able to identify

http://imgur.com/Uqf9p,ECx1I,FRkvN#1 these toys?

Thank you all in advance!

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

greazeball posted:

My question is this... what's the name for the kind of drawings that are just made with straight lines? They're just geometric patterns but you'll take 360 straight lines and make a circle with them. I'd like to get a new desktop background but I can't seem to find the right terms to search for.

I found these but don't know how to find ones with more than non-concentric circles, colour, etc.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fractals. ^^^^

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Turtlicious posted:

Fractals. ^^^^

Nope. I get why you see that in one of those pictures, but it's not fractal. If you zoomed in far enough you'd see individual lines, and not a self-similar pattern.

It reminds me of the string art fad from the 1970s...

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Base Emitter posted:

Nope. I get why you see that in one of those pictures, but it's not fractal. If you zoomed in far enough you'd see individual lines, and not a self-similar pattern.

Ah ok, I see what you mean, breaks my mind like fractals do though.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

greazeball posted:

I found these but don't know how to find ones with more than non-concentric circles, colour, etc.

Reminds me of a toy I had as a kid called Spirograph

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Base Emitter posted:

That's it! Brilliant!

Cheers!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Where can I buy a "ream" or stack or whatever of plexiglass sheets? Or just cheaper clear plastic ones, I need it for an art project.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
http://www.acrylite-shop.com/US/us/product-groups/sheet-5n7n4w7zmsi.html

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Lance Streetman posted:

Do ants carry any form of bacteria or disease with them? Like, normal ants you might find swarming in your house, descending on any food you leave uncovered for more than 30 seconds.

Just curious.

No.

But they will eat your food.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Can anyone explain why, whenever I've opened a pouch of tobacco recently, a load of flies (Which I almost never see otherwise) suddenly swarm all over me?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Is there a complete word list for Apples to Apples, or better yet, the kids' version?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

When in doubt, ebay. I actually just found an offer for 41 sheets for 40 dollars.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

What's the Belle and Sebastian song that starts off like a normal Belle and Sebastian song but goes electro at some point?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

axolotl farmer posted:

No.

But they will eat your food.

Thanks. We've had a recent infestation of ants in our house, and I wanted to know if I should toss food once I've found an ant in it. Looks like I was worried for nothing.

If I find a swarm of ants in my food, though, I'm tossing it.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

Abel Wingnut posted:

What's the Belle and Sebastian song that starts off like a normal Belle and Sebastian song but goes electro at some point?

I don't listen to them (except for "Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying" and "If You're Feeling Sinister"...ilikethem:mad:shutit) so I'm going through the albums I have one by one and kind of skipping through each track.

So far "A Space Boy Dream" seems normal --> trippy. Will try until you recognize the right one, I get bored, or I run out of tracks.

"Roy Walker" all seems to be a visit to the 1960s but I might as well add it to the list.

"Electric Renaissance" starts out and remains appropriately electroesque.

and "I Could Be Dreaming" is pretty noisy throughout.

--
Scanned through albums:
The Boy with the Arab Strap
Dear Catastrophe Waitress
Fold Your Hands Child...
If You're Feeling Sinister
The Life Pursuit
Tigermilk

Liebfraumilch fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 23, 2012

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

DELETED posted:

If the quality of the music is good, they can be amazing. After buying my first set of nice quality earphones, I spent the better part of the day listening to every song I could because of how much better everything sounded.

One more question about that: would it make any sense to convert MP3 to some other format? I don't suppose the files won't magically gain high quality if they didn't have one earlier, but I don't really know much about that, I use MP3 mostly out of convenience, since they are small in size and everything plays them.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
My stepfather is trundling along with a crotchety old computer that was new in 2002 because he's convinced it's 'not that bad' and that he doesn't want to 'start over' with a new one.

My brother in law and I have been trying to get it to run a bit better at least. Bro upgraded the RAM to the max supported and it's a little better but still painful.

I was having a look at it last night and thought that a faster hard drive could be a good fix, but what I'm not optimistic about is the max data speed of the motherboard. I suspect the motherboard is going to be too old to support a speedy hard drive or SSD.

Am I likely to be right? If more info is needed, where in Windows do I look for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

ineptmule posted:

My stepfather is trundling along with a crotchety old computer that was new in 2002 because he's convinced it's 'not that bad' and that he doesn't want to 'start over' with a new one.

My brother in law and I have been trying to get it to run a bit better at least. Bro upgraded the RAM to the max supported and it's a little better but still painful.

I was having a look at it last night and thought that a faster hard drive could be a good fix, but what I'm not optimistic about is the max data speed of the motherboard. I suspect the motherboard is going to be too old to support a speedy hard drive or SSD.

Am I likely to be right? If more info is needed, where in Windows do I look for this?

From your stepfather's perspective a new hard drive is probably 'starting over'. Maybe you can just upgrade all the stuff and stick the old hard drive in.