Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
But... bees can fly right? So they all bailed out of the hives as they tipped over and they are currently kicking it on the floors and couches of their friend's hives... right? RIGHT?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

ShotgunWillie posted:

I'm NYCs largest beekeeper and 20 of my hives got swept into the East River by Sandy.

Taking photos cheers me up.

:smith:
That's... that's pretty convincing.

Sorry dude, that's bad news. How many hives do you have left? (that are certainly now comically overcrowded with bees couch-surfing and engaging in wacky hijinks and misunderstandings)

I'm OK with you getting the camera soon, we're waiting on dorkasaurus_rex, as far as I know. No rush, dorkasaurus_rex, just keeping things up-to-date.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

The rest of them.
http://imgur.com/a/mmZyH

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Well this thread just got way sadder.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

What caused the beetastrophe? CCD?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A mild rain shower that recently blew through NYC.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Awww poo poo man. How did your queens do?

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

squidflakes posted:

Awww poo poo man. How did your queens do?

All dead. Found some dead clusters trying to protect their dead queen.

Yuck.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Regarding the new title ("Sure hope it's weather-sealed!", for those of you reading this IN THE FUTURE!), the camera is NOT weather-sealed. But, inside the Pelican case it should be very safe indeed.

Unless there are sharks, bears, or small children around.

Boo got shot
Oct 13, 2008

we some head bussaz
Is anyone doing this in the deep south? I'm in Savannah, GA and I would love to participate, there is more awesome stuff down here to photograph than you can really wrap your mind around and if I happen to get it in early spring PINK EXPLOSION when the azaleas bloom.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
It's currently stuck in New York City. NEW YORK CITY!?!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooPBXfnIpYI

Given the weather recently in that part of the world, I'm happy to cut the New Yorkers some slack on this little adventure. But it'd be nice if dorkasaurus_rex, last known possessor of the camera, could give us a quick update.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

a foolish pianist posted:

I think there are a bunch of us in the midwest. It looks like the camera will get here too late to catch the nice fall colors, though. Maybe it'll bum around Virginia long enough for it to get snowy up here.

Here's the list of midwest folks who've posted:

a foolish pianist: Ann Arbor
Trevor Hale: Chicago
xzzy: Chicago
Man_of_Teflon: Chicago
geeves: Pittsburgh
dakana: Dayton, Ohio
RizieN: Cincinatti
Enter Char: Wisconsin
Mr. Despair: South Dakota

Just to update, I've actually moved down to north of Cincinnati. I'd probably be able to do a handoff with RizieN; my dad'd be able to ship it through his work for cheap/free as well.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Dorkasaurus Rex still has it and has not reached out to me. I messaged him on Facebook about 10 days ago, and again just now.

Edit: edited

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 20, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You missed your big chance dude, elections were two weeks ago. Little late for campaign speeches!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I was going to take the camera skiing when it got to Canada's west coast, but that's obviously not going to happen this year.

On the bright side, at the pace it's moving, there's still a chance that it won't get here until this time next year!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

It's like a game of hot potato, where we get to see which sucker winds up with the dead battery in the camera.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

In another week or 2 I will need to go buy a new one for my own AE-1 so if I get the camera by then (haha) I could always buy an extra.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I put new batteries in it when I got it. I shot I think 3 rolls through it before sending it to NY. Unless somebody's been leaving it with the shutter release half-pressed, activating the light meter, it's probably fine.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

so i'm almost done with the roll and to make up for the extended period of time over which i've had it, i cleaned the mirrors and lens optics. this camera is workin better than ever!

i'll be done after the weekend. beeman gets my vote.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Hurray! ShotgunWillie, dorkasaurus_rex get in touch with each other. Let's get this moving again.

Thanks for giving the camera some care & attention.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

ExecuDork posted:

Hurray! ShotgunWillie, dorkasaurus_rex get in touch with each other. Let's get this moving again.

Thanks for giving the camera some care & attention.

I've been bugging him and tried to get it before my Thanksgiving drive to Ohio.

Guess who flaaaaaaaaaaked?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

ShotgunWillie posted:

Hahahahahahaha. It almost left the state. Almost.

haha.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'd say put me on the list for when it comes back to Canada, but I'm not sure if anyone will still be manufacturing film that far down the road.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

ShotgunWillie posted:

Ok I guess time to change the thread title back.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

i will finally be done with the camera on Monday. my reign of terror is nearly at an end.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
This thread was started in July. It is now going to go to a couple other people in New York? Somebody explain this to me. I don't care who it goes to next, but just let's move to other places at least. Skip my state, New Jersey, if necessary. Send it to some of the goons in the mid-west. East coast has lost its privileges.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Mannequin posted:

This thread was started in July. It is now going to go to a couple other people in New York? Somebody explain this to me. I don't care who it goes to next, but just let's move to other places at least. Skip my state, New Jersey, if necessary. Send it to some of the goons in the mid-west. East coast has lost its privileges.
For once I agree with you.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
I'll be in NYC December 6-10 and will be heading back to Texas, home to plenty of Goons and certainly not on the East Coast. I'd be happy to pick-up the camera to save someone shipping.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Mannequin posted:

Or we could just not be the typical "goon project" shitheels and be quick with our shooting. I know that when/if it comes to me I will have it sent to the next person in 2-3 days.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mannequin posted:

I agree with this post more than I've ever agreed with any post you've made.

I don't want to like come in here and dickwave (although that's exactly what I'm doing), but does anyone have a problem with me (or ExecuDork) just decreeing that after the next person finishes with it, it's leaving the East coast?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

SoundMonkey posted:

I agree with this post more than I've ever agreed with any post you've made.

I don't want to like come in here and dickwave (although that's exactly what I'm doing), but does anyone have a problem with me (or ExecuDork) just decreeing that after the next person finishes with it, it's leaving the East coast?

Please do so. I hope it can make it to Europe this decade.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I would have loved to take the camera out for the roll. I know exactly where I would go with it to give a view of this part of NJ to everyone, but if it has to skip the east coast then whatever and I will just say a silent "gently caress you" to those who had the camera too long.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

rio posted:

I would have loved to take the camera out for the roll. I know exactly where I would go with it to give a view of this part of NJ to everyone, but if it has to skip the east coast then whatever and I will just say a silent "gently caress you" to those who had the camera too long.

Let's not get harsh or anything, but after the next person receives it from dorkasaurus and (under penalty of thread title shame) shoots their roll quickly, it's going to go at least as far away as the midwest.

Sorry NJ folks, but it's just been in that area for a bit long.

I'd like to extend an invitation to NJ people to post maybe one pic of the place you were thinking of taking the camera, just so we can get an idea of how awesome it might have been.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Also after it leaves the midwest, it should leave the USA. Camera around the world, and all that.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
if the logistics work out dont you think a couple more people taking the camera to NJ or whatever will still be okay? they'll have to promise to pass over the camera in a couple days or so though. i dont think people should miss out just because other people took too long

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

nervana posted:

if the logistics work out dont you think a couple more people taking the camera to NJ or whatever will still be okay? they'll have to promise to pass over the camera in a couple days or so though. i dont think people should miss out just because other people took too long

yeah gently caress the midwest

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Despair posted:

yeah gently caress the midwest

Maybe it should go to SD next, Mr. Smart Guy :colbert:.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

SoundMonkey posted:

I'm not willing to get into a dickwaving contest with a mod. Can't win - even if my wang is more doodle, I'll get slapped upside my helmet by a charge of mod sass.
:flaccid::pwn:

Having said that, getting it moving again is the priority. Either Virginia, the Midwest, Texas, or the Pacific Northwest, then across an ocean. Mannequin bowed out for this lap around the planet, so it's definately moving away from the New England area.

Virginians, Midwesterners, Texans, PWCers: convince us it should go to your region. You have until ShotgunWillie burns halfway through his roll to do so, or I will choose haphazardously and capriciously (and possibly ironically - don't make me get all hipster on your asses!).

rio
Mar 20, 2008

SoundMonkey posted:

Let's not get harsh or anything, but after the next person receives it from dorkasaurus and (under penalty of thread title shame) shoots their roll quickly, it's going to go at least as far away as the midwest.

Sorry NJ folks, but it's just been in that area for a bit long.

I'd like to extend an invitation to NJ people to post maybe one pic of the place you were thinking of taking the camera, just so we can get an idea of how awesome it might have been.

It wasn't so much about showing off the area as chipping in to what seemed like a neat experience taking the same camera through multiple places and sharing the results. I'll just be bummed (as the tip of the poo poo-iceberg that is today) and look forward to seeing the camera move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Houston isn't pretty but it is interesting. We've got fields with oil wells and cows mingling together along with the best sky scrapers dirty dirty energy money can buy. So, I'm going to throw in for Houston. One day here and you can go from deep country to down town in 50 miles.

• Locked thread