Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Here's a question to those who have Sonic & Sega Racing since the topic of analogue/digital triggers and driving games came up again: What button do you press to accelerate and if it's the right trigger, do you feel like you're at a disadvantage not having analog control?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

FPzero posted:

Here's a question to those who have Sonic & Sega Racing since the topic of analogue/digital triggers and driving games came up again: What button do you press to accelerate and if it's the right trigger, do you feel like you're at a disadvantage not having analog control?

It's basically like Mario Kart - why slow down when you can drift around every corner and get boosts instead? I legitimately cannot think of a single time when I was wishing I could have just held the throttle at half-speed that wasn't solved by letting off the gas for a split second before it.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I am sort of confused as to how it is that AAA games cost roughly a gorillion(approx) dollars to make, and really good looking games come out on PC with, presumably, a fraction of the budget. Blacklight: Retribution looks as good as or better than most console games. The Witcher 2 is another example, as was the original Crysis, though those two did actually intend to sell quite a number of copies(The Witcher 2, at least, was profitable for CDPR). Reset doesn't exist yet but it's being made by a very small team on an indie budget and if it lives up to the promise of its trailer it will be one of the best looking games ever made. How does this happen?

AAA Games have to pay a poo poo ton for marketing, and giant teams to rocket games out through a tight release window. On top of that they are aimed at looking good on console hardware, not maxxing out PCs (generally.) There's also the things you don't pay as much attention to like big dev/publisher QA, voice talent, DLC content (which is not cheap to produce.)

FPzero posted:

Kart and arcade style racers are a bad example since you rarely need granular control in those types of games vs sim type racers where granular speed control is important.

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

FPzero posted:

Default is right trigger, but there's another configuration that lets you switch it to buttons. It feels perfect to me. You don't really let up on the gas in this game since you drift through turns and all that.

da anime bulldog
Sep 14, 2004

My idea of helping people.
My WiiU has frozen twice in the middle of Sonic and Mario :(

Is anyone else having this problem?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I am sort of confused as to how it is that AAA games cost roughly a gorillion(approx) dollars to make, and really good looking games come out on PC with, presumably, a fraction of the budget. Blacklight: Retribution looks as good as or better than most console games. The Witcher 2 is another example, as was the original Crysis, though those two did actually intend to sell quite a number of copies(The Witcher 2, at least, was profitable for CDPR). Reset doesn't exist yet but it's being made by a very small team on an indie budget and if it lives up to the promise of its trailer it will be one of the best looking games ever made. How does this happen?
With small studios, I think intention plays a big role. Some people want to pave the way and others just want to walk behind them. Size of staff is another thing and CDPR most likely runs a really small operation.

It's not all that different from the demoscene of the 80s and 90s when one person could put out an intro/trailer that looked loving amazing and pushed the limits of what computers could do at the time. They go into it with that intention.

Some studios want to take on their big budget counterparts. Those bigger studios most likely look to them and say "bring it", cause a lot a lot a lot of studios rise and fall. It's not the norm to take those kind of risks.

The average game isn't Call of Duty, it's Orcs Must Die. It's Tales of Monkey Island. It's Payday the Heist.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 23, 2012

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

horriblePencilist posted:

^ They sell it at a loss, but they actually make profit after you bought a single game.

You can always push the limits on how much the hardware can display, but at a certain point, the player won't be able to notice that seam on the NPC's pants waay in the distance. At a certain point, human perception can't keep up with technical fidelity, especially in an interactive medium (I suppose you could always pause and examine every inch of the screen, but that's not the point).
On a technical level, graphical improvements may be just as great as they were before, but they become less significant to convey information. After all, facial animation is more of a deal than jigglephysics on your guy's keychain.

I guess you can compare it to film (I am perfectly aware how stupid that usually is): We might now make improvements in CGI, resolution and other stuff, but audio, color and some editing tricks were everything to be able to convey practically everything in film.

Quest For Glory II posted:

And for people who like open world games, that's awesome, but the games I've played on my 360 the most are XBLA titles and I can't think of any XBLA/Steam Indie developer that can't make the games they wanna make right now without needing some kind of next gen boost. They probably wouldn't have the budget for that anyway.

I like to think that those kind of games, and mobile games, make up 80% of what is going on in gaming right now, if not moreso (I could be playing it really conservatively here). I don't know how much bleeding-edge tech matters to the average person or the average developer. It's great to have but most people can't take advantage of it in the first place.

Then think of a game like Jamestown and the La Mulana remake. Both look like SNES games and yet they need good shaders and poo poo to run. Think also of games that try to simulate physics, like the handful of fluid dynamics based puzzle games that have surfaced in the past couple years. Think of procedurally generated content, think of games like Minecraft or god forbid Cortex Command and how they all slow down to a crawl when there's a bunch of poo poo happening. Even iOS games went from being podunk flash games to crazy looking games like Infinity Blade (that still plays like a flash game, but that's a bad example of what the device can do.)

It's not about pushing envelopes as much as being able to do more with what's available as it gets better and it's not all about graphics.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If Jamestown needs shaders to run that's pretty stupid. I literally didn't and wouldn't notice the difference. It just looked and played like a high res Tyrian to me.

That said I'd love a sequel to Jamestown on Wii U.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
My old netbook from several years ago could run Jamestown so I doubt it's doing anything fancy with shaders. Not knowing much about programming I bet it's just written using DX9 or whatever so it requires a card that supports a certain shader model.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

My WiiU froze today, it just stopped during NintendoLand, an made a high pitched whine (from tv speakers). I had to pull the plug, turned it back on and it froze again. I shut down the gamepad and restarted it and it was fine for the rest of the day. Weird.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bombadilillo posted:

My WiiU froze today, it just stopped during NintendoLand, an made a high pitched whine (from tv speakers). I had to pull the plug, turned it back on and it froze again. I shut down the gamepad and restarted it and it was fine for the rest of the day. Weird.
You're not alone. It's widespread enough that either a calamitous manufacturing error is about to decimate Nintendo, or it's a software issue that needs to be patched. It's probably a software issue.

Did it happen on DK Crash Course for you, because it did for me.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

da anime bulldog posted:

My WiiU has frozen twice in the middle of Sonic and Mario :(

Is anyone else having this problem?

The current theory is to change the "view community posts" option in Miiverse to english only. Personally I had 4 freezes within an hour prior to making this change, 3 in NSMBU and 1 in Sonic. After making the change I've had 1 freeze over the last two days...so consider me a believer!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

You're not alone. It's widespread enough that either a calamitous manufacturing error is about to decimate Nintendo, or it's a software issue that needs to be patched. It's probably a software issue.

Yep, and once on Zelda last week. It was when it was going to the score too, not during anything taxing. I wonder if its trying to communicate online at that point, or saving in the backround, that would go towards software. After the restart without reseting the gamepad it was the Nintendoland menu pretty much right away.

I do not like having to pull the plug, everything should have a longpress power cutoff hardware reset.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I currently don't have a TV and my monitor does not do audio and I'm wondering if I can get by with NSMB and Nintendo Land without the need for actual speakers outside of the controller?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Can you really play 5 players in most of the modes in that Sonic racing game?

Can you play the equivalent of the story mode with five people?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Lblitzer posted:

I currently don't have a TV and my monitor does not do audio and I'm wondering if I can get by with NSMB and Nintendo Land without the need for actual speakers outside of the controller?

You'll be fine for those games, for sure.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
The 3DS used to freeze like crazy (I remember the launch on this forum) and I haven't heard that complaint in forever. The old trick was to turn off WiFi or format the SD card or something similar to this language change fix. I'm 98% sure it's a software thing that will be fixed.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

The 3DS used to freeze like crazy (I remember the launch on this forum) and I haven't heard that complaint in forever. The old trick was to turn off WiFi or format the SD card or something similar to this language change fix. I'm 98% sure it's a software thing that will be fixed.

I had the 3DS since launch (:argh:) and it's never frozen on me. Like, ever.
Hopefully you guys with freezy Wii Us are just temporary problems.

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Bombadilillo posted:

I had the same issue earlier today, also in Crash Course. Was the first time, and I haven't had it happen since.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

I'm sure this has been asked before but is there a way for me to output the audio using the component cables while still using HDMI for video??? I looked through the system preferences but didn't see anything.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

FanaticalMilk posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before but is there a way for me to output the audio using the component cables while still using HDMI for video??? I looked through the system preferences but didn't see anything.

No, apparently there isn't.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I had a freeze after completing Sequence 2 of AC3 when it was reloading Boston. That's the only one so far for me.

Also, should the Home button be lighting up for more than just a second? Mine just flashes once for a notification, then it goes dark again. I think it's weird.

Woptendo
Mar 23, 2006

Louisgod posted:

General reminder that the WiiU plays Xenoblade so please buy it ASAP if you're desperate for a game or want to experience one of the bet games ever made.

I'm gonna try and pick this up tomorrow. Does it control well with the Wiimote and nunchuck combo or should I pick up a Classic Controller Pro?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Woptendo posted:

I'm gonna try and pick this up tomorrow. Does it control well with the Wiimote and nunchuck combo or should I pick up a Classic Controller Pro?

You can only play the game with the Classic Controller Pro.

Original Gamer
Sep 13, 2002

FanaticalMilk posted:

You can only play the game with the Classic Controller Pro.

Incorrect

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Woptendo posted:

Either or but I prefer the CCP.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
Just lost my third survivor in buckingham palace :negative: he was almost a 3000 pointer...

I like to boot up Miiverse for a little while when ZombiU get's too intense.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Woptendo posted:

I played it for like half the game before even realizing it supported the Classic Controller and was too used to the Remote+Nunchuck controls to switch by then so I'd say it works just fine.

Sgoast
Sep 1, 2006

"I don't think I can stand it."

FRAZZLED JOHNSON posted:

Can you really play 5 players in most of the modes in that Sonic racing game?

Can you play the equivalent of the story mode with five people?

Hyyyyup. Multiplayer is essentially drop in drop out. It's especially helpful in story mode since it doesn't really matter who wins to meet the objective. You know, except for boost challenges, 'cause they're bullshit and broken.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Sgoast posted:

Hyyyyup. Multiplayer is essentially drop in drop out. It's especially helpful in story mode since it doesn't really matter who wins to meet the objective. You know, except for boost challenges, 'cause they're bullshit and broken.

Well I guess that's a buy then.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

AngryCaterpillar posted:

No, apparently there isn't.

Lame. I have speakers I wanted to use and I use a computer monitor.

Woptendo
Mar 23, 2006

absolutely anything posted:

I played it for like half the game before even realizing it supported the Classic Controller and was too used to the Remote+Nunchuck controls to switch by then so I'd say it works just fine.

Oh cool. I'll probably get a CCP too and see which I like best since I just realized I won't be able to use my Pro Controller for Wii/WiiWare/VC stuff... even though the guy at Gamestop assured me I would be able to :argh:

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

Sgoast posted:

Is it all the boost challenges that are bugged at the moment or just the first couple? I tried one of them later on, I think the 3rd, and it had checkpoints but was still too crazy for me to complete on Medium. Not sure if it was me sucking or it still being bugged somehow.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Woptendo posted:

Oh cool. I'll probably get a CCP too and see which I like best since I just realized I won't be able to use my Pro Controller for Wii/WiiWare/VC stuff... even though the guy at Gamestop assured me I would be able to :argh:

They're very good controllers, and feel like a Playstation controller in your hands (though I still use my old Classic Controllers for SNES games. Doesn't feel right with a Pro). Also, the Gamestop guy was either talking out his rear end, or he meant the WiiU eShop. I'm guessing the former.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

LividLiquid posted:

It's not about what's possible. It's about what's profitable.

Ding ding ding.

Back in the 16-Bit day it didn't really feel like a small company couldn't compete because you were dealing with sprite art. Once we moved into the 3D generation the cost of games has going higher and higher. The fact we've kept games at $59.99 US retail is just ridiculous compared to the rising costs. It's why I keep stressing that the next generation Sony/Microsoft might see games priced at where they were for the N64 with $89.99 games. Or you'll pay $59.99 for a game you can't actually beat until you buy fifty bucks worth of DLC.

FPzero posted:

What disadvantage? I gotta go fast. I press R and I go fast.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Skunk Ape posted:

Is it all the boost challenges that are bugged at the moment or just the first couple? I tried one of them later on, I think the 3rd, and it had checkpoints but was still too crazy for me to complete on Medium. Not sure if it was me sucking or it still being bugged somehow.

Nah those were the transform rings not checkpoints. All boost challenges are broken

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

There any good RPGs on this thing yet/in the near future?

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

There any good RPGs on this thing yet/in the near future?

Does Xenoblade count? Because if you haven't played it you really should.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Actually thanks for reminding me of that, I got bored right around the time I got Dunban in the party.

Maybe I can't do RPGs anymore if it was so good and I got bored anyway :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
The Xenoblade team is making an actual Wii U RPG as well.

• Locked thread