Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
So that's what a set sounds like when you leave the flanger on.

Oh, new page. Has this been posted yet? The "Serato Face".

http://seratoface.tumblr.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
e:ignore

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Booked my first ever "gig" at a house party in 2 weeks. Should be fun because it'll be with people I actually know, but I'm already excited. :woop:

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
I just dj'd an art honors fraternity party and it was so awesome. Just played disco house the whole night and people were dancing and it was just so amazing because I've never dj'd out of my room.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Any of you guys ever experience a pair of headphones going out of phase? My HDJ2000s just did this to me the other day; it's the cable (probably the 1/8" end). Really freaked me out - fortunately my AKGs have the same type of miniature-XLR connector as the Pioneers, so I was able to rule out the headphones themselves pretty quickly. I'm still kind of ticked-off about it, though.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Anyone watch Boiler Room? It's pretty fun stuff.

Specially when :godwin: is the MC hovering.
I tweeted to them, got 4 replies with "lol" and less than a minute later, the guy disappeared from the video stream. Might have had to do with this BRTV being in Berlin, of all places for a Hitler-look-alike.

*edit: Looked more clear when moving. MC dude has a beanie, but it totally looks like a cowlick when the beanie blends into the darkness.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Soundcloud has a new beta, with new features. I could summarize all the changes, but it's easiest if you just click this link: http://next.soundcloud.com/

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

mitztronic posted:

Soundcloud has a new beta, with new features. I could summarize all the changes, but it's easiest if you just click this link: http://next.soundcloud.com/

Do the new features include being less of a cock about uploading DJ mixes? The last few I've tried have all gone to copyright hell and I've pretty much switched to mixcloud entirely at this point.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Vidmaster posted:

Do the new features include being less of a cock about uploading DJ mixes? The last few I've tried have all gone to copyright hell and I've pretty much switched to mixcloud entirely at this point.

God lets hope so. I used soundcloud twice, and both times got my mixes locked down. Mixcloud on the other hand has gotten me a ton of followers, and a lot better feedback than "Great set, check out my track at: ". The youtube channel my buddy runs that I'm posting my mixes on has been almost as good for follower as my DI show though. A lot more interaction and a lot less bullshit comments than soundcloud.

TL:DR; Soundcloud can suck my balls for dj mixes.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I've never had a problem... werid?

e: do you have a paid soundcloud account?

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 13, 2012

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Vidmaster posted:

Doubt it. I don't think Soundcloud was originally for DJs to upload their mixes.

FawksyRawksy
Oct 17, 2012
What would be a good PA setup to start out with, I keep getting asked to play places that don't have speakers and it's annoying me I have to keep passing on offers.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
A pair of QSC K12s or the JBL EON 515XTs. The non-XT EONs are trash, do not buy them no matter how cheap they are. The JBL PRX series is also pretty decent. For something more exotic, the RCF Art 312 is also a good choice from what I've read...they seem pretty popular among the mobile DJ types. I only have experience with the QSCs and the JBLs though.

I'd recommend going with self powered speakers over having a separate amp just because the self powered ones are easier to deal with. You will need an extra power outlet at the venue but you make up for it by not having to put another piece of gear in your car.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

FawksyRawksy posted:

What would be a good PA setup to start out with, I keep getting asked to play places that don't have speakers and it's annoying me I have to keep passing on offers.

I have a pair of 15" JBL powered speakers. I don't know the exact model number but they look like this:

They were hand-me-downs and pretty beat up when I got them and still work fine. I've played events for 50-200 people with no problems. Highly recommended.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Really depends on what kind of events you're planning to do. The QSCs are great if you're doing events with a lot of people, but overkill if you're doing small parties. Also you should look into renting speakers.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

mitztronic posted:

I've never had a problem... werid?

e: do you have a paid soundcloud account?

I've never had a problem uploading a mix either - well, plenty of failed uploads but never a single copyright warning. But yeah, I do pay for my SC account; I have the lowest tier of paid account IIRC.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Mister Speaker posted:

I've never had a problem uploading a mix either - well, plenty of failed uploads but never a single copyright warning. But yeah, I do pay for my SC account; I have the lowest tier of paid account IIRC.

I did not have a paid acct, if thats the barrier, I am calling bullshit. I pay less for my websites hosting per month than a premium SC acct would cost, and I get unlimited bandwidth and no idiots trying to pimp their poo poo on my mix.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I'm curious what the length and tracklist/genre was for the mixes you had taken down. What was the first track in your mix, and was it played from the very beginning of the song?

(honestly trying to determine why it's only effecting some users)

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

mitztronic posted:

I'm curious what the length and tracklist/genre was for the mixes you had taken down. What was the first track in your mix, and was it played from the very beginning of the song?

(honestly trying to determine why it's only effecting some users)

Old Man Pants posted:

I did not have a paid acct, if thats the barrier, I am calling bullshit. I pay less for my websites hosting per month than a premium SC acct would cost, and I get unlimited bandwidth and no idiots trying to pimp their poo poo on my mix.
I'm pretty sure it's dependent on what genre you're playing. If you're playing Top 40/Top 10 Beatport stuff then you're likely to get caught out by the copyright filter. I don't think it depends on what kind of account you have.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

keevo posted:

I'm pretty sure it's dependent on what genre you're playing. If you're playing Top 40/Top 10 Beatport stuff then you're likely to get caught out by the copyright filter. I don't think it depends on what kind of account you have.

I didn't think so either, but it was the first question that came to mind. I agree with you on the top chart stuff, hence my last question :)

I'm also trying to figure out how accurate or in depth it is, i.e. if you start a 4 minute song at the 2 minute mark, it might not catch it (?)

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

I remember reading somewhere that it checks the first 1:30 of the upload to see if it matches anything. I'm not sure how accurate that is though. I've never bothered testing it out.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

I have a paid account and I mostly do Trance. I guess I tend to start from the beginning of a track, so that might have something to do with it. Maybe I'll test it out sometime and add a couple minutes of white noise to the beginning of one of the rejected mixes and see if it still blocks it.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

mitztronic posted:

I didn't think so either, but it was the first question that came to mind. I agree with you on the top chart stuff, hence my last question :)

I'm also trying to figure out how accurate or in depth it is, i.e. if you start a 4 minute song at the 2 minute mark, it might not catch it (?)

It just takes like 15 seconds of any part of the song. So that wont work.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

keevo posted:

I remember reading somewhere that it checks the first 1:30 of the upload to see if it matches anything. I'm not sure how accurate that is though. I've never bothered testing it out.

I've had two mixes uploaded that got rejected because of their filter. Both times it was because of the very first track in the mix.

The first time it happened, I edited off the first track and reuploaded and it worked fine (still on there now, my opening set for Carl Craig last year)

Second time it happened, I said gently caress it and didn't bother to try and workaround it. Since downgrading my pro level, I don't have as much time capacity anyways so I'm not as worried about putting every mix I record up there

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 16, 2012

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Yeah it scans the first part of the mix for any track on the DO NOT PLAY list. It happened to me once and it was a Black Sheep song, so I think the genre is mostly irrelevant, it's just about whether or not the company that owns that track has complained. Probably to stop people from uploading singles of tracks but it can be a pain for DJ mixes, especially since the entirety of Soundcloud is built on unauthorized remixes and bootlegs.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
So because I'm on the books at my local DJ store, I've been invited to a showcase of the Pioneer DDJ-SX and Serato DJ next Wednesday. There'll be actual Serato Audio Research guys there, does anyone want me to ask them any questions about the new software on their behalf or anything?

Batu
Nov 10, 2009
Do you guys have any recommendations for mixers that aren't too pricy? Recently got two turntables from a friend so I'm looking for something that I can use to start to play with them but I'm also an eternally broke college student.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Batu posted:

Do you guys have any recommendations for mixers that aren't too pricy? Recently got two turntables from a friend so I'm looking for something that I can use to start to play with them but I'm also an eternally broke college student.

Price range?

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
DJ mixers tend to be absolute pieces of unreliable poo poo until you spend around $500 new or used.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

oredun posted:

DJ mixers tend to be absolute pieces of unreliable poo poo until you spend around $500 new or used.

Depends where you live. If you're in a big enough city you can get a used DJM 400/350 for less than that. And I guess a Xone 32, but I'm not a fan of that model.

I'd budget around $500 though, if you take your time you can find a used Xone 42 or a DJM 600.

If you're in a smaller city you're looking at much more brand new and I wouldn't bother with some brand new piece of poo poo.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Firaga posted:

Depends where you live. If you're in a big enough city you can get a used DJM 400/350 for less than that. And I guess a Xone 32, but I'm not a fan of that model.

I'd budget around $500 though, if you take your time you can find a used Xone 42 or a DJM 600.

If you're in a smaller city you're looking at much more brand new and I wouldn't bother with some brand new piece of poo poo.

djm 400 is junk, its too old, doesnt have xlr outs.

djm 350/250-good enough, pioneer makes nice stuff, good ergonomics, xlr outs.

xone 42-unreliable junk. otherwise i think the 22/42 would be almost perfect. but they are junk.

xone 32-somewhat high quality mixer, except it has the WORST design choices of any mixer except the xone 62. seriously stupid poo poo. i think whoever designed them had never DJed before.

djm600-outdated, not digital, avoid at all costs.

if you have 500, you could buy a rane 56(no xlr outs and a really stupid power supply, but otherwise great), you could get a DJM700 which is an excellent mixer, ecler makes good stuff.

I think you best bet would be to get a pioneer 707 for about $250. They would great, last forever, have XLR outs, IEC power, and its cheap as poo poo.

get a serato box off craigslist for around 200, and youve got an amazing setup for a great price.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
I always forget about Rane!

I like the Xone 42 because it has 3 channels and a dedicated filter compared to the DJMs in that price range. A+H has since updated it, I'm not sure how the older version was.

In regards to the 32, the gain knobs are on the back next to the connections, and the filter is bound to the crossfader rather than a knob. If you're OK with that it's priced very well.

DJM 250 has the colour knobs (dedicated filters) which you can only otherwise get in the 800+.

Firaga fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Nov 23, 2012

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Firaga posted:

I always forget about Rane!

I like the Xone 42 because it has 3 channels and a dedicated filter compared to the DJMs in that price range. A+H has since updated it, I'm not sure how the older version was.

In regards to the 32, the gain knobs are on the back next to the connections, and the filter is bound to the crossfader rather than a knob. If you're OK with that it's priced very well.

DJM 250 has the colour knobs (dedicated filters) which you can only otherwise get in the 800+.

my problem with the 32/62 is you cant scratch with the CF due to the curve, the cueing is dumb as hell. the 4 band eq is a pain in the rear end and does not make a mix sound better, the gains on the back on the 32 and the line/phono switch is right in the way on the 62 so when you twist the gain you turn the music off half the time.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I have a moderately specific question; I've been dj'ing for years and I have a set of tech 12s and a four channel mixer. I want to get into digital vinyl but spend as little as possible. Guitar Center has a used SL-1 for like $250 which would get me into Serato which seems to be the popular pick. Is there a cheaper route? I spin dnb/prog/house/hiphop so basically everything. I do a lot of vinyl manipulation.

I've looked at apps like Decadance and Ms Piggy and it seems like you can do it on the cheap but the apps don't have the same polish. Is it worth dropping the extra coin for the 'real thing' (Serato)? or might I be better off trying to cobble something together cheaper?

For the control PC I will just throw a spare C2D board into a portable atx case or something. I have the rest of the hardware covered I'm just not sure how to handle the digital vinyl part.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

You might be able to find a used SL1 for $200 if you keep looking around. I'm not really sure how much Traktor goes for used, especially with NI's software licenses being a pain in the rear end.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

How many channels do you need?

if you look online you can probably find an Audio4DJ, 2 set of ins/outs which could run scratch pro (which is on sale for half off right now, and just snag a set of timecontrol vinyls on the cheap. You could probably have a setup for under $200 thats fully capable of running everything, and if you want to upgrade in the future, you'll have no trouble finding a buyer.

For another option you could get a new traktor scratch duo on ebay for around $300 and its even got a nicer audio card.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
A while ago I was asked to DJ for a close friends 30th birthday at a Bar that he booked out. So this was my first gig out of the bedroom if I don't count the hour messing around at a house party before I needed to take my partner home.

But everyone was really happy with the music, I started to learn a bit about crowd reading and I think I'm properly hooked now. :unsmith:

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

revmoo posted:

I have a moderately specific question; I've been dj'ing for years and I have a set of tech 12s and a four channel mixer. I want to get into digital vinyl but spend as little as possible. Guitar Center has a used SL-1 for like $250 which would get me into Serato which seems to be the popular pick. Is there a cheaper route? I spin dnb/prog/house/hiphop so basically everything. I do a lot of vinyl manipulation.

I've looked at apps like Decadance and Ms Piggy and it seems like you can do it on the cheap but the apps don't have the same polish. Is it worth dropping the extra coin for the 'real thing' (Serato)? or might I be better off trying to cobble something together cheaper?

For the control PC I will just throw a spare C2D board into a portable atx case or something. I have the rest of the hardware covered I'm just not sure how to handle the digital vinyl part.

just get serato, traktor licenses are a boondoggle. serato works perfect every time.

Mario Incandenza
Aug 24, 2000

Tell me, small fry, have you ever heard of the golden Triumph Forks?

oredun posted:

just get serato, traktor licenses are a boondoggle. serato works perfect every time.
serato user, i'm guessing? :)

AFAIK, turntable users can just buy a copy of traktor scratch, and it will also work perfectly. this is what a friend of mine did when i went completely digital and gave him my 1200s.

anyway, don't bother with anything less than serato or traktor, and i'd recommend trying out both at a mate's place or your local DJ/audio store, before making the purchase. it's as much about your taste in software and your personal workflow as it is about features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I think I'm gonna pick up the Scratch A6. I'm seeing it for $300.