Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fightest posted:

just solid tactics and resource management.

And by that, of course, you mean sacrificing the Lee and the 89 at the earliest opportunity. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
If they actually had solid tactics it would have been the Stug climbing the hill.

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I think the "Coated with carbon" thing is in reference to an actual process used in World War II to prevent crew death by spalling. Just not extensively. Whilst crew in a coated tank interior are a lot more likely to survive if their tank is hit by a shell, there is still a non-zero chance that they will die, like, if the shell literally passes through one of the crew, or explodes the ammo.

I'm pretty sure that literally the only thing preventing crew deaths is Looney Toons physics. (Hence why drowning is the only actually scary prospect for them)

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Largepotato posted:

If they actually had solid tactics it would have been the Stug climbing the hill.

You know, I thought there was something a bit unrealistic about this show, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Largepotato posted:

Not when you take into account that the Stug team is still inexperienced. It's best to send your best personnel in situations like that. That and magical protagonist powers is better than Stug power.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Largepotato posted:

If I learned anything about tank warfare from Company of Heroes, its that the StuG is slow as poo poo with a turns peed that borders on cold molasses, but the main gun penetrates much better against frontal armor, the PIV is a much better all around tank and much faster.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

The Monkey Man posted:

You know, I thought there was something a bit unrealistic about this show, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

:golfclap: Good one sir!

quote:

If I learned anything about tank warfare from Company of Heroes, its that the StuG is slow as poo poo with a turns peed that borders on cold molasses, but the main gun penetrates much better against frontal armor, the PIV is a much better all around tank and much faster.

I played the Blitzkrieg mod and while the stug was good in its TD role, I much preferred the panther and tiger for their protection as the stug was always going to die in one hit. But yeah most of what I read likewise indicates that the stug would be slow and not as likely to get there in time; and as a poster said somewhere above the PZ4 crew were the most experienced.

Who is the history girl in the scarf supposed to be though?

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Who is the history girl in the scarf supposed to be though?

Julius Caesar. Crossing the Rubicon, the die is cast, all that.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The girl in the red scarf's name is Caesar she wears the scarf because of Julius Caesar's red cape.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
It's also important to point out that they pronounce it Kaiser in the show.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Command Ant posted:

It's also important to point out that they pronounce it Kaiser in the show.
Yes this is announced in the 5.5 episode. In fact it was the only good part of that episode.
The History Club members all address each other by their true soul names.
Kaiser who loves the Roman empire.
Erwin who loves European history, especially WW2.
Saemonza who likes the sengoku period.
Oryou who likes the edo period.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

That's the correct pronunciation of Caesar and the Germans naming their dictators after him make sure to pronounce it right too

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
It's also where "czar" comes from.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

tonberrytoby posted:

Oryou who likes the edo period.
To be more specific. She's a Bakumatsu history nerd.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Pyronic posted:

Are you thinking of the Hetzer? A stug III was no slower than the panzer III chassis it was built from.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Fingers of Fury posted:

That's the correct pronunciation of Caesar and the Germans naming their dictators after him make sure to pronounce it right too
My university Classical Greek professor (who also taught Latin) explained to me that Kaiser was the correct pronounciation of Ceasar. I was a bit put-off? You mean we, in the goold old USA, don't pronounce it correctly? How dare the world tell us that?

Apparently so.

Okay. Do large aircraft-carriers-turned-into-community-schools make any sense at all to anyone? I wonder if perhaps this is a mechanism by which a country with limited land space might expand out? Perhaps, rather than colonizing land, which isn't available any longer without a war to take it, they just build this massive ships and move them around the ocean.

Then, I also wonder, what happens in a large storm? It's gotta be hell on a ship like that in a big storm. No?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Dan7el posted:

My university Classical Greek professor (who also taught Latin) explained to me that Kaiser was the correct pronounciation of Ceasar. I was a bit put-off? You mean we, in the goold old USA, don't pronounce it correctly? How dare the world tell us that?

Apparently so.

Honestly, proper pronunciation isn't really an issue once you've included that word a part of your own language.

Like, English has so many loan-words from Norwegian(and vice-versa), but nobody makes a big deal of how they don't pronounce the same.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Dan7el posted:

Apparently so.

Okay. Do large aircraft-carriers-turned-into-community-schools make any sense at all to anyone? I wonder if perhaps this is a mechanism by which a country with limited land space might expand out? Perhaps, rather than colonizing land, which isn't available any longer without a war to take it, they just build this massive ships and move them around the ocean.

Then, I also wonder, what happens in a large storm? It's gotta be hell on a ship like that in a big storm. No?

There are some really large passenger liners with a lot of technology to avoid capsizing in a storm; it makes some level of plausibility if we're assuming something bordering on a post scarcity society where the only real bottleneck is land.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Dan7el posted:

Creating a ton of artificial land is is probably cheaper than building and maintaining many ships that size.
Apparently, this show's reason for the carriers is that they can't live on land for some reason anymore.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
There's problems with that though, Japan's artificial airport island for instance is slowly sinking despite extraordinary effort, the geography of the sea floor may not support it.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Zettace posted:

Apparently, this show's reason for the carriers is that they can't live on land for some reason anymore.

They can't live on land due to the radiation left over from the nuclear firestorms.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

They live on an aircraft carrier because they just do.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

There's problems with that though, Japan's artificial airport island for instance is slowly sinking despite extraordinary effort, the geography of the sea floor may not support it.
Last I heard, it stabilized in the last few years and the worries have lessened. There's even expansion currently.
And there are successes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odaiba
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Kitakyushu_Airport
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobe_Airport

Zettace fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Nov 25, 2012

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I still maintain that this is a distant sequel to Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon and they live on aircraft carriers because it's *traditional* for them to have cities mounted on the back of enormous mobile vessels.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
The world was ravaged by a plague that only war nerds were immune to, so they were the only ones left to rebuild society.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer
I've just started this series, and I find myself agreeing with the opinion that the student council president is literally Hitler. I am entertained beyond expectation.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Wow. They hyped up the Italian school but Ourai destroyed them within 5 seconds. That was really surprising.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Zettace posted:

Wow. They hyped up the Italian school but Ourai destroyed them within 5 seconds. That was really surprising.

I am now really expecting a T-35 to show up since they found a Char B1 bis wacky tanks just go together you know.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
They also found a Tiger and a new gun for the Panzer IV which should add some much needed firepower. I wonder if the Type 89 will replaced as a result as it's kind of useless since it can't penetrate anything and lacks speed.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Zettace posted:

Well, they did bring tankettes to a tank fight.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Command Ant posted:

The world was ravaged by a plague that only war nerds were immune to, so they were the only ones left to rebuild society.

Triggerhappypilot posted:

:pseudo: A mobile reeducation camp!

:allears: Seems like you called it! Chairman Independent-Cosmopolitan Thought!

Zettace posted:

They also found a Tiger and a new gun for the Panzer IV which should add some much needed firepower. I wonder if the Type 89 will replaced as a result as it's kind of useless since it can't penetrate anything and lacks speed.

Is that what they did? I thought the Bis had two guns, cool!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Panzer IV->....Panther? Newer Panzer IV?

Called it.

Mako's grandmother is the best grandmother. :unsmith:

I'm getting some Saki vibes with the main character.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
This series is getting 6 more episodes. Each volume of the Blu-ray will come with an additional OVA episode. Since there's 6 Volumes, we get 6 more episodes. I'm hoping they show the Anzio fight in at least one of the OVAs and not waste it like the first one (it's a swimsuit episode).

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The preview for the first OVA makes it look like something scraped together in the crew's spare time. One of the highlights of the series is the character animation and, well, the OVA preview made it look like bare minimum animation mostly made of still images with lip flapping. But I guess that's about as much as you can ask for a DVD/BD bonus.

Though I guess there's a chance that if the show does really well they might put some real effort into the OVA episodes.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is that what they did? I thought the Bis had two guns, cool!
The ending has the Panzer IV updated into the F2 model with the longer gun.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I'm looking forward to some action with the motherfucking Tiger.. The moment i saw the silhouette i was all :woop:

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm getting some Saki vibes with the main character.

This show is literally Saki with tanks instead of mahjong even the cruel elitest older sister from the top school.

It could stand to have more tacos though, and no token male club member yet.

EDIT: maybe like one of the girls said this ep. tanks can be your boyfriend :unsmith:

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Also fewer girls seem to want to make out with each other. So far.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Pyronic posted:

cruel elitest older sister from the top school.
I wouldn't say she's cruel or even mean. She hasn't really done or said anything bad towards the main characters (it was the other girl who mocked them) and she helped out Mako.
I'm thinking that Maho being an elite is her way of protecting Miho. Since their mother is so strict, Maho is bearing the burden of the household to allow Miho some freedom.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Pyronic posted:

This show is literally Saki with tanks instead of mahjong even the cruel elitest older sister from the top school.

It could stand to have more tacos though, and no token male club member yet.

EDIT: maybe like one of the girls said this ep. tanks can be your boyfriend :unsmith:

Wow no lie. There's really a lot of similarity, even regarding the prodigy main character who hates their field being dragged into it by the student council president.

Then again Miho has at least something resembling that of a leader, even with her overbearing shy girl demeanor. Saki has all the charisma of a tin box. Though I suppose tankery takes a lot more teamwork than mahjong, so it's not like Saki needs to actually do anything other than play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Mussololi

This was my favorite part of this episode that didn't involve the Stug team.

• Locked thread