Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
You won't get harassed, lol.

This is my classic, tried and tested, hit the hot spots route which I do with people who come to visit me. All on foot.

I'd suggest starting at Waterloo. Come out and walk along the Southbank. Take in the atmosphere, look at the street performers and walk west along the Thames. Go up to the Eye and go on it if you like (it's actually one of the few touristy things in London I recommend) - but don't bother if it's pissing with rain or foggy.

You can see Big Ben and Westminster from there, photo opportunity! Go across the bridge and up Parliament Street, past Downing Street, which will deposit you at Trafalgar Square. Dash into the National Gallery if you like - it's free so you can just pop in for half an hour, but make sure you have a plan - don't just aimlessly wander around exhausting yourself trying to appreciate endless dull paintings of jesus. Look for the impressionist/post-impressionist rooms. Van Gogh, etc.

From there you can go to Leicester Square and across to Piccadilly Circus so you can see the landmark, then cut through Soho (via Rupert Street if you want a way point) and enjoy the walk through there - aim for Covent Garden. Once you get there, you can enjoy the nice cobbedly-ness of it.

If you're hungry at this point you can try stopping into Polpo - but there's loads of good food in the area. Don't have many pub sgugestions for in central though the Porterhouse in Covent Garden has a shitload of beers and is pretty cool inside, if massively overpriced.

So that's my suggestion (if you ACTUALLY have enough time including check ins, check outs, security, passport control and suchlike).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiracleToaster
Dec 21, 2005
wonderbread
My wife wants to go to Paris for a couple of weeks to work for a game company as a concept artist and illustrator. We've known the founder for several years now and they have offered to have the company take care of obtaining a work permit for her.

To sum it up, she:

Has an official offer of temporary employment from the company
Company will start the paperwork on obtaining a work permit
If the couple weeks go well, the company will want her to move there permanently and work full time.

My question to you all is: What roadblocks should I expect for her, if any?

edit- We're US citizens.

MiracleToaster fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Nov 23, 2012

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neris posted:

You won't get harassed, lol.

Ok, what soccer jersey do I need to buy at the airport gift shop to get harassed?

But seriously, thanks for the itinerary it sounds pretty much perfect and ill definitely be using it as a guide.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
A Bayern Munich jersey would probably be the safest bet.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Limastock posted:

Ok, what soccer jersey do I need to buy at the airport gift shop to get harassed?

But seriously, thanks for the itinerary it sounds pretty much perfect and ill definitely be using it as a guide.

A short 20 minute detour: on the way to trafalgar square, cut through horse guards parade on your left (you'll know it when you see it) and make your way through St. James Park to Buckingham Palace. Look at the guards, try to flip off the queen, then turn around and follow the street to either Trafalgar Square or on the way there you can head up a few steps to your left, follow the street and end up at Picadilly Circus.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Limastock posted:

Leeds

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

My father is from Leeds.

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

Limastock posted:

Millwall (and then urinate in public). You should go for the full kit wanker approach. Either that or don't wear a jersey because it's kind of weird.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

MiracleToaster posted:

My wife wants to go to Paris for a couple of weeks to work for a game company as a concept artist and illustrator. We've known the founder for several years now and they have offered to have the company take care of obtaining a work permit for her.

To sum it up, she:

Has an official offer of temporary employment from the company
Company will start the paperwork on obtaining a work permit
If the couple weeks go well, the company will want her to move there permanently and work full time.

My question to you all is: What roadblocks should I expect for her, if any?

edit- We're US citizens.

Roadblocks and France. haha. I moved to Paris with my wife about 14 months ago (we are both US Citizens) so I had to go through all this.

It will take 6-8 weeks to get all her initial paperwork/visa sorted so that she has the right to work in France. She isn't technically supposed to work here until this is all approved. You can visit for three months without a visa (and work illegally) but if you do this you will have to return to the US to get the visa (you can only get it from the US).

My memory is a little fuzzy but basically her work has to draw up a contract and send it to the French dept of immigration. That dept has to approve it and then they send the approved work contract to the French consulate near your home (Chicago, NYC, Dallas (or somewhere in TX), etc). You then make an appointment and visit your region's consulate. Then you leave your passport there and they issue you a temp. visa. Depending on your consulate, you either have to come back a week later to pick it up or they mail it back to you. Once you have this you can enter the wonderful country of France.

Once in Paris you have to go register yourself with the dept of immigration and submit a poo poo load of paperwork. Birth certificates, marriage documents (all translated into French), maybe proof of residence in France, passport photos, and a bunch of other stuff. She'll wait in line for 6 hours before she talks to someone. She'll get her number called, she'll hand over her paperwork, she'll probably get scolded because she is missing something that they never said you needed and they'll issue her a temporary document that says "this person has the right to work in France." This will be good for three months and they'll give you an appointment with a different govt office about 2 months down the road. You don't get to choose your date/time and you can't miss these appointments.

Somewhere in all this paperwork you have to schedule a medical appointment to get a chest x-ray after you arrive in France to test for TB. I hope your wife doesn't get embarrassed about being topless in front of some mean French nurse but she better get used to it. After this you get a document that says you're healthy. You'll need this document to continue the application for the right to work/live in France.

At the next meeting she'll have to hand over a bunch of other paperwork (and all the other paperwork you've turned in before). They'll stamp stuff and issue her another temporary document that says she has the right to work (assuming she has all the correct paperwork). Normally I think she'll come back in 3 months to get a physical card (carte de sejour) — which is pretty much the equivalent of an US green card.

This card might be good for only a few months at first but then it eventually become valid for a full year. She'll have to reapply every year if you plan on staying a long time.

Also, prepare to wait 3-4 hours at each of these meetings. The French Government makes the DMV look like a well-oiled machine. Just be she has all the paperwork required at each meeting. In fact, take many copies of everything and take things that you think you might need — even if they don't ask for it.

Ohh, and do you all speak French? I didn't speak very much when I went through this and it was difficult but I managed. One lady yelled at me and said "we're not translators for you" but whatever.

Basically, France is a paperwork nightmare. Something will go wrong with somewhere down the line but you just have to go with the flow and roll with the punches.

What about you? How do you plan on staying in France? We're leaving in Feb so we're looking for someone to take over our apt. Plus, my landlord is American and she is cool.

MiracleToaster
Dec 21, 2005
wonderbread

Omits-Bagels posted:

words, also:
What about you? How do you plan on staying in France? We're leaving in Feb so we're looking for someone to take over our apt. Plus, my landlord is American and she is cool.

I was afraid France would be a shitload of paperwork, one of my friends made a joking comment about it and I wondered how much truth it contained. :downs: Hopefully it won't be too bad though, the company that wants her to work has supposedly already started the papers for her work permit.

I don't plan on staying in France until my wife has everything on her end processed, and has been staying there for a little bit to get comfortable with the area, which shouldn't take too too long. She speaks fluent French.

For the temporary visit she'll be staying with the founder of the company (who has been her friend for like... eight years) so we're not worried about that. We have no idea what we'll do right now for a longer stay, as we have no clue how to go about finding apartments and all that junk. We don't want to stay in Paris as that seems prohibitively expensive; her friend there lives in a place called Lille which I guess is about an hour away from Paris via the railway.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

MiracleToaster posted:

her friend there lives in a place called Lille which I guess is about an hour away from Paris via the railway.

Lille is more like 3 hours from Paris [e: BY CAR]. I can't imagine her friend actually commutes from Lille to Paris--not only would that be insanely far, but Lille isn't really that nice unless you're Erasmus-student-aged.

Edit: Re: OmitsBagel--wow, sure enough. 1h6 via TGV, 2 hours 33 via google maps for fastest drive.

Omits-Bagel posted:

if you do this you will have to return to the US to get the visa (you can only get it from the US).

I realize you've already done this, but you can transfer the paperwork to any country outside France--e.g. you could've sent the paperwork to Bern or London. Or, at least, I'm 99% sure this is true since it's how it works in Switzerland and Germany.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 25, 2012

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

MiracleToaster posted:

I was afraid France would be a shitload of paperwork, one of my friends made a joking comment about it and I wondered how much truth it contained. :downs: Hopefully it won't be too bad though, the company that wants her to work has supposedly already started the papers for her work permit.

I don't plan on staying in France until my wife has everything on her end processed, and has been staying there for a little bit to get comfortable with the area, which shouldn't take too too long. She speaks fluent French.

For the temporary visit she'll be staying with the founder of the company (who has been her friend for like... eight years) so we're not worried about that. We have no idea what we'll do right now for a longer stay, as we have no clue how to go about finding apartments and all that junk. We don't want to stay in Paris as that seems prohibitively expensive; her friend there lives in a place called Lille which I guess is about an hour away from Paris via the railway.

She probably won't have trouble getting things approved but she will still have to do a ton of paperwork and spend hours waiting in government waiting rooms. But this is what all foreigners have to go through. As long as you follow directions everything will be fine. The people who have the most problems are the people who think everything should be like how they do it in the US. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment if you have this attitude.

I would try to live in the city. Paris is great but commuting everyday will suck (and I imagine it will be expensive). How much will your wife make? We pay about 900€/month for a 25m2 apt.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Saladman posted:

Lille is more like 3 hours from Paris. I can't imagine her friend actually commutes from Lille to Paris--not only would that be insanely far, but Lille isn't really that nice unless you're Erasmus-student-aged.

I realize you've already done this, but you can transfer the paperwork to any country outside France--e.g. you could've sent the paperwork to Bern or London. Or, at least, I'm 99% sure this is true since it's how it works in Switzerland and Germany.

You have to turn in all the paperwork to the consulate in-person.

But Lille is 1 hour via train from Paris. That is station to station. You'll have to add extra time to get from the station to work. Either way, I would still try to live in the city.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Not to mention it's an hour by TGV, which will get really expensive, really quickly.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
In London for a week in mid-late February - does anyone have any recommendations for which areas to stay in, and what hostels/hotels are best?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

FoneBone posted:

In London for a week in mid-late February - does anyone have any recommendations for which areas to stay in, and what hostels/hotels are best?

I highly recommend the Covent Garden area, but really anywhere in central London is nice. North side of the Thames is significantly more fun. My second recommendation after Holborn/Covent Garden would be Camden Town, which is a bit further north. Probably cheaper too. If you're there for a week and have any money, rent an apartment (e.g. on VRBO). It will be the same price or slightly cheaper than a hotel, but much more cozy. This is triply true if you're traveling with your SO.

Avarice7
Sep 7, 2004
I'm going to be in Munich on Dec 5th and there happens to be a Champions League match that night. I'd like to get tickets and looking online the best seat availability seems to be on the SeatWave site. However, they don't have any e tickets available so they'd have to come via post. Can I have the tickets mailed to my hostel? Should I not even risk it and just try to get a ticket at the stadium the day of game? Any recommendations?

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

Matt 24:44
In late December I am going to be staying with my girlfrind in Paris for a few days, and then Tours for about three weeks until mid-January. I've lived in Germany for a year, but have only spent hours in France. She speaks French fluently, but I was wondering if anyone can tell me what to expect, not to miss.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.
Hey! We made it to Amsterdam and we're loving it so far.

This may not be the best place to ask, but we're about to tackle some coffeehouses, and while Time Out etc. have recommendations like the bigger more famous spots, I know a lot of Goons have their own favorite spots for getting blitzed. Preferably places where we won't have trouble ordering in English, clean, friendly, etc.

Thanks!

malmal
Jan 28, 2009
Hi guys, does any one have any information on when the paris catacombs will reopen for visitors? Their website doesn't even say they're closed (they are).

I'd really like to see this part of paris but it doesn't look like its going to be possible between the 8th-12th of december :(

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Hi I am planning a trip to Switzerland with my GF. Looking at the 4th week of January 2013 right now. We will have a total of 7 days (actually 9 but 2 will be for traveling, flying from California). I would like to split this trip between the Alps and visiting a few cities.

Can anyone recommend some nice ski resorts in the alps? Looking at a mid range budget and I wouldn't mind some straight forward basic cottage type places. We both snowboard and actually don't know how to ski if that makes any difference. We were thinking about snowboarding 1 or two days then maybe hiking/ snowshoeing/ general exploring the others. Then 3 or 4 days visiting cities. Does it make more sense to visit the cities before the alps or vice versa? Or is this just preference?

I've been looking at Hipmunk for airfare and it looks like ~$1100 each way from San Francisco 'Intl airport flying into Zurich or Geneva. Is this a good price? Are there sales I should wait for or should I pull the trigger early for this price?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

madkapitolist posted:

Hi I am planning a trip to Switzerland with my GF. Looking at the 4th week of January 2013 right now. We will have a total of 7 days (actually 9 but 2 will be for traveling, flying from California). I would like to split this trip between the Alps and visiting a few cities.

Can anyone recommend some nice ski resorts in the alps? Looking at a mid range budget and I wouldn't mind some straight forward basic cottage type places. We both snowboard and actually don't know how to ski if that makes any difference. We were thinking about snowboarding 1 or two days then maybe hiking/ snowshoeing/ general exploring the others. Then 3 or 4 days visiting cities. Does it make more sense to visit the cities before the alps or vice versa? Or is this just preference?

I've been looking at Hipmunk for airfare and it looks like ~$1100 each way from San Francisco 'Intl airport flying into Zurich or Geneva. Is this a good price? Are there sales I should wait for or should I pull the trigger early for this price?

$1100 is pretty decent. I flew GVA->SFO;LAX->GVA from 24 Dec to like 8 Jan last year for $1500, which is definitely more on season.

Nicest ski resorts? What's your budget, age, interests? There are the sterile rich tourist places, filled with Russians or Brits or [take your pick], e.g. Gstaad, Davos, Verbier, Zermatt. Then there are the more traditional Swiss places, e.g. Lenk, Les Diablarets. These are a little cheaper but also more dead in the evenings. Then there's Chamonix, which is a party town and way cheaper, but also in France and chock full of drunk Brits, which can be a plus or minus.

Can visit cities before, after, or in between the Alps, it's only 30 to 90 minutes from the Alps to any city in Switzerland. I like Basel, Bern, Zurich, Fribourg, and Lausanne a lot. Wouldn't say any of them are really worth spending more than one full day in though.

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004

madkapitolist posted:

Flims/Laax http://www.laax.com/en/ is probably the best for snowboarding. It has some great off-piste and the towns have some decent nightlife.
Arosa and Lenziheide would be 2nd and 3rd choices - but really there are a lot of really nice little resorts all over the place and all have great infrastructure that you can't go wrong.

If you want to know what the snow and weather will be like go here,
http://snow.myswitzerland.com/

There is a good post on another forum here, about off-piste stuff in Swissyland. It has a lot of links to avalanche reports and freeride maps etc.
http://www.englishforum.ch/sports-fitness/42972-off-piste-switzerland.html

Geneva is pretty dull unless you want to go to the UN building - that is really interesting if you want to know about the history.
Zurich has a lot of bars and restaurants but not a lot of stuff to do other than wander around and look at the lake. Fun city though.
Solothurn is pretty and worth a few hours wandering around if you want traditional old Swiss buildings.
Berne is also pretty, Basel much less so.
Interlaken is surrounded by mountains and sits on a lake and is stunning, you can also go up the Jungfrau by train from here (expensive)
The Engadine valley (St.Moritz) is great to travel along and has a lot of hiking but it is difficult to get to in winter.
Zermatt is also worth a trip if you want to see an iconic mountain and do some walking.
Chur would be a great place to base yourselves if you didn't mind travelling (1 hour) a bit to ski resorts everyday or had a car; there are a lot of places to ski near the town and the place has quite a few funky bars. Be aware that the drive up to Arosa is a pig, get the train. In fact if you can afford it, get the train everywhere.

PlantHead fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 29, 2012

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

PlantHead posted:

Geneva is pretty dull unless you want to go to the UN building - that is really interesting if you want to know about the history.
Zurich has a lot of bars and restaurants but not a lot of stuff to do other than wander around and look at the lake. Fun city though.
Solothurn is pretty and worth a few hours wandering around if you want traditional old Swiss buildings.
Berne is also pretty, Basel much less so.
Interlaken is surrounded by mountains and sits on a lake and is stunning, you can also go up the Jungfrau by train from here (expensive)
The Engadine valley (St.Moritz) is great to travel along and has a lot of hiking but it is difficult to get to in winter.
Zermatt is also worth a trip if you want to see an iconic mountain and do some walking.
Chur would be a great place to base yourselves if you didn't mind travelling (1 hour) a bit to ski resorts everyday or had a car; there are a lot of places to ski near the town and the place has quite a few funky bars. Be aware that the drive up to Arosa is a pig, get the train. In fact if you can afford it, get the train everywhere.

Definitely agree about Geneva being dull. Their top two attractions are a (super lame) clock with flowers, and a jet of water that's usually off in the winter.

Basel has lots of neat museums like the Tinguley one, but it's it's out of the way from anywhere else on your itinerary.

Jungfrau is cool but hideously expensive and absolutely 100% not worth doing if it's cloudy. Same with Zermatt--you have like a 25% chance of actually seeing the Matterhorn in late January.

Since there are two of you, if you're over 25, I would definitely recommend getting a car--it will be far cheaper (e.g. from Sixt rental agency) and way more convenient for mountain access. Trains in Switzerland are stupid expensive, and they make tourists pay twice the local fare. Basically no Swiss people go to the mountains on public transit if they're over the age of like 22, with a few exceptions, like Zermatt or Saas Fee, where you can't drive to it.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

malmal posted:

Hi guys, does any one have any information on when the paris catacombs will reopen for visitors? Their website doesn't even say they're closed (they are).

I'd really like to see this part of paris but it doesn't look like its going to be possible between the 8th-12th of december :(

Their website now says they're closed until further notice due to a problem with the air conditioning. The archeological crypt of Notre-Dame is also closed until December 13th.

Kinkajou
Jan 6, 2004

My buddy and I are thinking of doing a summer trip starting in Iceland, flying to Norway than driving north and east into Finland. We'll probably be camping during most of this and I could use some advice on appropriate clothing and equipment. Obviously a decent jacket and tent are on the list, but anything else? I've read that a sleeping mask can be useful for blocking out the sun so I'll bring one of those as well.

Also, we're thinking of doing around 10-12 days in each country. Is that an appropriate time split or would it be worthwhile to devote a few more days to one country over another?

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

Kinkajou posted:

My buddy and I are thinking of doing a summer trip starting in Iceland, flying to Norway than driving north and east into Finland. We'll probably be camping during most of this and I could use some advice on appropriate clothing and equipment. Obviously a decent jacket and tent are on the list, but anything else? I've read that a sleeping mask can be useful for blocking out the sun so I'll bring one of those as well.

Also, we're thinking of doing around 10-12 days in each country. Is that an appropriate time split or would it be worthwhile to devote a few more days to one country over another?

What route are you planning in Norway? If you're flying to Oslo, you should take E6 through Gudbrandsdalen to Trondheim for some good hiking and camping along the road. I'd really recommend flying to Bergen though, and driving north through Mψre og Romsdal and Sogn og Fjordane. Probably the prettiest part of Norway, even though the roads are a bit lovely. Also, Bergen is a neat city, while Oslo isn't all that impressive in my opinion.

military cervix fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 3, 2012

Kinkajou
Jan 6, 2004

We haven't planned the route yet, but we were thinking about starting in Oslo, driving to Bergen, and then continuing along through the northern route that you recommended. Would we miss out on some awesome scenery if we skipped the trip from Oslo to Bergen and decided to start in Bergen? Norway is my most anticipated of the three so any advice is appreciated. My buddy is super excited about Finland, mainly because it's a little more remote and seems to have more wildlife.

Edit:
Yeah, we're planning to do a lot of free camping to keep costs down. Honestly, we won't be spending much time in the cities so we'll probably do a day in Oslo or Bergen before moving on to the natural sights.
vvvvvvvvvvvvv

Kinkajou fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 3, 2012

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
While I've never driven Oslo - Bergen myself, it does have some famous scenery, namely Hardangervidda. I'd say it depends on what you want to do though, Oslo is by far the biggest city, so if you're big on drinking and culture you should probably stop by.

Some general notes:

You should note that everything in Norway is really expensive, and especially alcohol. Save the heavy drinking for Sweden and Finland.

Camping for free with a tent should save you some money. You can set up a tent pretty much anywhere as long as it's not someones backyard, and there's nothing the land owners can do to stop you.

The roads outside of the greater Oslo area are pretty bad due to low population density. You should plan accordingly. The roads between Bergen and Trondheim along the coast are notoriously bad, and you should be prepared to pay quite a bit for ferries along the road. Don't let this discourage you though, it's by far the most beautiful part of Norway apart from Lofoten. (Which is probably too far north for you.)

In general, I'd say the cities aren't the most exciting part of Norway, the scenery is what makes it worth it as a tourist destination.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
What were you planning on doing Iceland-wise? You definitely won't be able to circle the country in 10-12 days, not without driving way longer than would be fun. Camping is pretty easy, it does actually get colder than you would imagine even in the summer in Iceland. We were there in June and had our winter jackets on basically every day.

Northern Norway is really beautiful, although I haven't been as far north as to hit Finland.

Funny Bunny
Aug 7, 2005

HookShot posted:

What were you planning on doing Iceland-wise? You definitely won't be able to circle the country in 10-12 days, not without driving way longer than would be fun. Camping is pretty easy, it does actually get colder than you would imagine even in the summer in Iceland. We were there in June and had our winter jackets on basically every day.

Northern Norway is really beautiful, although I haven't been as far north as to hit Finland.

Yes you will.. We did it in 10 days in 2010 without ever being in a hurry, drove the entire ringroad and even visited the Vestmannaeyjar. Of course, if you like to undertake multiple hikes at the same location or do multiple-day tours, you will need a few days more. But it is definitely possible to have a nicely paced roundtrip in 10-12 days. This is of course due in part to the absurdly long days in the summer and the fact that many "sights" are outdoors nature locations: you could still start a 3-hour hike at 8pm!

Furthermore, if 10-12 days really would prove to be too short, you could always simply increase your pace for the final stretch of the ringroad. Then at least you will have seen more of Iceland than just Reykjavik and surroundings, which I truly believe is worth your while.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

Kinkajou posted:

We haven't planned the route yet, but we were thinking about starting in Oslo, driving to Bergen, and then continuing along through the northern route that you recommended. Would we miss out on some awesome scenery if we skipped the trip from Oslo to Bergen and decided to start in Bergen? Norway is my most anticipated of the three so any advice is appreciated. My buddy is super excited about Finland, mainly because it's a little more remote and seems to have more wildlife.
Just get some wind- and waterproof clothing, weather in Finland can be harsh even during summer and though it is rare, it can kill unprepared people. But if you can survive Iceland, you should be fine in Finland too.

Also, having lived my youth in Lapland I can guarantee you're not going to see much, if any wildlife. They'll hear you coming from miles away and will just hide or move away well before you can get close.

You're going to see lots of reindeers though and you'll probably never want to see another in your lifetime. They crowd any place with even bit of wind during summer months to get away from mosquitoes, and that includes roads. So be careful when driving, honking the horn won't help a bit, they'll just stop on middle of a road and stare at you.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Kinkajou posted:

The Norway-Finland part of the trip sounds like it will be an outrageously expensive car rental. One-way drop off? Norway rental? Two weeks? I'd guess this will run you around €2000, and that's pre-gas.

E: VV VV I also thought he meant going from Norway to Finland without passing through Sweden.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 3, 2012

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

The Erland posted:

(Which is probably too far north for you.)

If they're planning on driving from Norway to Finland witohut taking a ferry, they'll probable be quite far north, and if they intend to do so without also visiting Sweden Lofoten will be pretty much on their route anyway (in which case I'd definitely recommend going there, it is beautiful, and full of fish).

Kinkajou, are you planning on going through Sweden (possibly taking a ferry from Sweden to Finland?) or driving north enough to cross form Norway to Finland? Also, invest in anti-mosquito everything. If it looks foggy outside, well, it's not fog.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

Waci posted:

If they're planning on driving from Norway to Finland witohut taking a ferry, they'll probable be quite far north, and if they intend to do so without also visiting Sweden Lofoten will be pretty much on their route anyway (in which case I'd definitely recommend going there, it is beautiful, and full of fish).

Kinkajou, are you planning on going through Sweden (possibly taking a ferry from Sweden to Finland?) or driving north enough to cross form Norway to Finland? Also, invest in anti-mosquito everything. If it looks foggy outside, well, it's not fog.

I kind of assumed they would be taking over to Sweden by driving east from Trondheim, but that's not really necessary I suppose. Driving further north would be a hell of a long drive, though.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Funny Bunny posted:

Yes you will.. We did it in 10 days in 2010 without ever being in a hurry, drove the entire ringroad and even visited the Vestmannaeyjar. Of course, if you like to undertake multiple hikes at the same location or do multiple-day tours, you will need a few days more. But it is definitely possible to have a nicely paced roundtrip in 10-12 days. This is of course due in part to the absurdly long days in the summer and the fact that many "sights" are outdoors nature locations: you could still start a 3-hour hike at 8pm!

Furthermore, if 10-12 days really would prove to be too short, you could always simply increase your pace for the final stretch of the ringroad. Then at least you will have seen more of Iceland than just Reykjavik and surroundings, which I truly believe is worth your while.

Seriously? We skipped the entire east and north coast of the country, and did the south and west up to Latrabjarg in 11 days and we thought that was pushing it. I'm really glad we didn't decide to do the entire country because we would have spent so much time in the car instead of actually discovering the country.

Kinkajou
Jan 6, 2004

Saladman posted:

The Norway-Finland part of the trip sounds like it will be an outrageously expensive car rental. One-way drop off? Norway rental? Two weeks? I'd guess this will run you around €2000, and that's pre-gas.

E: VV VV I also thought he meant going from Norway to Finland without passing through Sweden.

Any thoughts on keeping the rental cost down? Would it be better to rent in Finland and then drive to Norway?

Also, does Northern Norway have the same problem with mosquito clouds as Finland or is that an exclusive perk?

Edit:
vvvvvvvvvvv Yeah the car situation is going to hurt, but camping should help keep total costs down. The car cost in Iceland will probably be split three ways so that should help a little. Any other suggestions for saving money while visiting some of the priciest countries in the world?

Kinkajou fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 4, 2012

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Oh, yeah, I missed that, you're going to be paying huge amounts for car rental in Iceland too.

We had a Chevy Aveo from Sixt for eight days and it cost us around 700 Euros (though we did get the extra insurance thing) plus gas. Which was like $2.25 a litre, or $8.50 a gallon if you're American.

Literally the only thing we could find that was cheaper was a company that apparently bought cheap used cars and rented them out, then when I reviewed them online there were a whole bunch of reviews from people that used them and had the car conk out on them in the middle of Iceland. It wasn't like they were $10 a day either, it was more like it came out to 600 Euros instead of 700 Euros.

Seconding the Lofoten islands though, they're absolutely amazing.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Kinkajou posted:

Any thoughts on keeping the rental cost down? Would it be better to rent in Finland and then drive to Norway?

Not really. You would probably end up renting from the same company anyway.

Kinkajou posted:

Also, does Northern Norway have the same problem with mosquito clouds as Finland or is that an exclusive perk?

Inland, yes, but in Norway you're more likely to be close to the shore, and thus have much more reliable wind. Other than that, the mosquitos don't really care whether they're in Finland, Norway or Sweden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Due to some piss-poor planning (I flew into Frankfurt planning to stay only a month, then postponed my return ticket without re-booking right away), I find myself unable to fly out before my Schengen visa expires.

A) If I go on an excursion to, say, Croatia or Serbia, that should put my 90 days on 'hold' for that long, right?

B) Also, how exactly do I count the 90 days? I arrived on October 11 2012, so by my calculations, I count January 9 2013 as the must-leave date, so if I can't fly out of Frankfurt until January 20 2013, that means I should leave Schengen for a minimum of 11 days (e.g. January 2 2013 to January 13 2013), right?