Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
She can't be marked, so things can't stick to her? (makeup, hair products, etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

DaveWoo posted:

Here's a question: if Jones has perfect recall, why does she keep a photo album?

Because Jones is much more emotional than she believes herself to be.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Dodgeball posted:

She can't be marked, so things can't stick to her? (makeup, hair products, etc.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetism

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Would she care enough to utilize this technology for her appearance?

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Because Jones is much more emotional than she believes herself to be.

Or maybe it's because it's expected of her to keep mementos of past experiences, like a normal person would. Similar to how she has some food in her office even though she doesn't eat, it's expected of her. As she said, she's had a long time to observe and mimic human behavior, I wouldn't read too much into the photo album, unless you think that Jones is hungrier than she believes herself to be because she kept candy in her office.

Does anyone else get a bit of a Blindsight vibe from Coyote and Jones? Coyote talking about how Human intellect is a disease and Jones being a like a Chinese Room gets me wondering just where this story is going.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Alternate theory, Jones finds it useful to have a photo album because the people she interacts with do not have perfect recall and haven't existed for the entire history of biology.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Clearly things can stick to her, she was covered in mud in the bison-wrangling scene.

I assume not marked means that you can;t affect her skin, rather than that you can't put things over it.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Dodgeball posted:

Would she care enough to utilize this technology for her appearance?

Um..... makeup and hairspray use this "technology".

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

ATP_Power posted:

I wouldn't read too much into the photo album, unless you think that Jones is hungrier than she believes herself to be because she kept candy in her office.

Lies and omissions are a major theme of GC, including the lies the characters tell themselves. Jones either not understanding or misrepresenting her motives would be in line with both her character and the story's themes.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ATP_Power posted:

Does anyone else get a bit of a Blindsight vibe from Coyote and Jones? Coyote talking about how Human intellect is a disease and Jones being a like a Chinese Room gets me wondering just where this story is going.

I'm torn, because I loved Blindsight, and I know Tom would be way less depressing than Peter Watts; but I can't decide if less depressing would make Blindsight better or worse.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.
God, now I feel so dirty for making Jones/Eglamore innuendo. Sorry, thread.

I like finding out that Bismuth and Antimony are in the same chemical group, though. Annie's expressionless facade has always seemed similar to what Jones is like. Thanks, Fatkraken.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

ATP_Power posted:

Or maybe it's because it's expected of her to keep mementos of past experiences, like a normal person would. Similar to how she has some food in her office even though she doesn't eat, it's expected of her. As she said, she's had a long time to observe and mimic human behavior, I wouldn't read too much into the photo album, unless you think that Jones is hungrier than she believes herself to be because she kept candy in her office.

I went and read that (the author published it under the creative commons license here if anyone wants to read it) when someone mentioned it in the last chapter, and I definitely am.

Coyote as Jukka Sarasti is a hell of a scary thought.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I think that what made blindsight so bleak was the notion that consciousness, everything that we use to distinguish ourselves as human, is nothing more than an evolutionary quirk that we maintained by pure chance and may actually be detrimental. In the Gunnerkrigg universe, that trait is what makes us special, and we are envied for it. Compare how Coyote and Ysengrimm view human creativity versus how the scramblers and vampires view conscious thought. There are similarities, but the GC universe has an inherently more optimistic view of it than Blindsight (thank goodness.)

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Jones is immune to x-ray. QUICK, TO MYTHOLOGY!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Hmm, we're all made of star stuff right? What if she is the personification of star stuff?

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!
She is made out of bones!

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Wili posted:

She is made out of Jones.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I kind of find myself sympathizing with the viewpoint, expressed earlier, that this chapter was belaboring the point a bit. This is probably because of the update schedule, without which I wouldn't be trying to predict what Jones is all about before she explains it.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Jones is immune to x-ray. QUICK, TO MYTHOLOGY!

So her flesh-equivalent is radiopaque. It should still be possible to use ultrasound.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I was actually just wondering yesterday if Jones could be X-Rayed.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Jones can't be x-rayed, which is an extension of how opaque her motivations are. This supports the idea that we shouldn't take her descriptions of her inner life at face value.

Bongo Bill posted:

I kind of find myself sympathizing with the viewpoint, expressed earlier, that this chapter was belaboring the point a bit. This is probably because of the update schedule, without which I wouldn't be trying to predict what Jones is all about before she explains it.

This part of the chapter is weaker, but I can't think of a single work where having a character sit down and tell you all about themselves hasn't been at least a little clumsy.

Julio Cesar Fatass fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 23, 2012

AntimatterSpork
Apr 23, 2008

Modéré, je vous prie.
she can be x-rayed, theres just nothing to see.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

AntimatterSpork posted:

she can be x-rayed, theres just nothing to see.

"It's empty space! I never taught the computer to read empty space!"

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

"I have no desire to be anything anymore" seems like a pretty key line here. I'm just not sure in what way yet.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Freudian posted:

She is made out of Jones.

She's made of UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon "Bones" Jones. No wonder she's so tough!

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Harm Barn Gumshoe posted:

"I have no desire to be anything anymore" seems like a pretty key line here. I'm just not sure in what way yet.

I don't normally nitpick, but she said "I have no desire to be anything more". If it was "anything anymore" that would have changed the implication of that sentence quite considerably considering what she's told us about not having emotions and a general lack of desires.

I'm still pretty sure Jones is connected in some way to the seed bismuth.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Brannock posted:

I don't normally nitpick, but she said "I have no desire to be anything more". If it was "anything anymore" that would have changed the implication of that sentence quite considerably considering what she's told us about not having emotions and a general lack of desires.

I'm still pretty sure Jones is connected in some way to the seed bismuth.

Haha doip. I don't know how I misread that

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Brannock posted:

the seed bismuth.

Bismuth is a key ingredient in some stomach medications. The mechanisms of its action are poorly understood but it seems to soothe various kinds of stomach upset with greater-than-placebo effectiveness.

The court is a Pepto-Bismol factory.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Cabbit posted:

She's made of UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon "Bones" Jones. No wonder she's so tough!

Which means Coyote is Chael Sonnen. It's all coming together now.

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:

Wili posted:

Are you saying Jones is a bonehead? :colbert:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Jones is a stone(r).

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

A student posted:

Hmm, we're all made of star stuff right? What if she is the personification of star stuff?

No that's Carl Sagan

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

No that's Carl Sagan

So Jones is the original apple pie? :v:

Tangenting, but drat, even her hair shows up as opaque.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
The question I'd like to know is did Jones have a concept of language before she met other humans? Did she, in fact, invent language?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zemyla posted:

The question I'd like to know is did Jones have a concept of language before she met other humans? Did she, in fact, invent language?

Probably not, since she claimed to have practically no capacity for imagination.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Why would language even exist if you got nobody to talk to?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I wonder how many languages Jones knows.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

Are you saying Jones is a bonehead? :colbert:

No she's Jughead Jones.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Fister Roboto posted:

No she's Jughead Jones.

"Hey Jughead, Moose is totally reaming Reggie at the Choklit Shoppe! Wanna go check it out?"

"I am indifferent to your great interest in social unrest, Archie."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

No she's Jughead Jones.

Perhaps her apathy is related to the fact that, due to not eating, she has never experienced her life's true passion: hamburgers.