Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Hello Spaceman posted:

Even when upscaling they still chose the most retarded, hard-to-find narrow section tyres they could find. Oh smart :allears:

They look like regular tractor tyres to me.

I wish I could catch a picture of a modified quad bike I've spotted a couple of times on a trailer. Pretty sure it belongs to one of the local rice farmers. It has these really tall thin wheels grafted on to it. It kind of reminds me of that. Same tread pattern even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Seat Safety Switch posted:

A barn fell on this Mazda RX2, so they pulled it out, threw a 13B in it and ran at LeMons.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/lemons-goodbad-idea-of-the-week-mazda-rx-2-exhumed-from-collapsed-barn-stuffed-with-13b/

Imagine rolling up to VW hipster meets. "Patina? A barn fell on my car. :smug:"

Those things are as rare as hen's teeth, they should be restoring it :(

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Sir Cornelius posted:

I'm pretty sure that it's not.

I like his a bit more to be honest. That is ehhh...

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

The littlest monster truck :3:

I'm pretty sure those are the tires my step-father has on his Polaris 850 quad. That is excellent.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

You Am I posted:

Those things are as rare as hen's teeth, they should be restoring it :(

While a Series 1 is rare as now, the shell is clearly toast. There is so much work that it's not worth anyone's time and very little of the original car will be left. If it can be saved at all.

The fact it's going to go out as a race car is a drat good Viking Burial for it. RADL approves

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Cat Terrist posted:

While a Series 1 is rare as now, the shell is clearly toast. There is so much work that it's not worth anyone's time and very little of the original car will be left. If it can be saved at all.

The fact it's going to go out as a race car is a drat good Viking Burial for it. RADL approves

Series 1 you say?

I always thought these things were so drat cool. 2600lbs with a 320HP Northstar V8.

America.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D8nBAsHP_s

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I've seen this car around town a couple of times. It started popping up in my neighborhood recently....

Not quite as awesome, but a welcome change..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 22, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

While I was in South Carolina I was super excited that gas was $2.97 for regular, $3.30 for premium. Then when I got home and gas was $3.77 for regular and $4.00 for premium I was rather depressed. :911:

Oh and I noticed that there were WAY more donks driving around down there than there are up here.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Hipster avatar you say?

... homophobic you say?

There's plenty of donks in TX, especially when you go down to Houston. Denton didn't have that many of them, Dallas OTOH...

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Ain't got nothin' on a quad with 20"s.

Now, let's get this thread back on track. Enjoy some wheelstands:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

jonathan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e94KR97acTQ

Here is a 5 part video doc on some great fabrication that went into the Stewart Raceworks Ford Raptor luxury pre-runner.

That was a great way to spend an hour. What a bad rear end truck and an awesome company.
:ninja: This is a Raptor cab resting on a tube frame everything is hand fabricated

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Nov 22, 2012

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

angryhampster posted:

Series 1 you say?

I always thought these things were so drat cool. 2600lbs with a 320HP Northstar V8.

America.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D8nBAsHP_s

Perhaps there was another version but I'm almost positive the Series 1 used a quad cam Mustang Cobra Motor... The DOHC 96 - 2001 style...

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

jonathan posted:

Perhaps there was another version but I'm almost positive the Series 1 used a quad cam Mustang Cobra Motor... The DOHC 96 - 2001 style...

Nope, definitely an Olds Aurora engine (turbocharged, natch). Saw one at the Shelby museum like a month ago. The Olds engine is out and on a stand, and clearly labeled as such.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wheelstands...

Never could get mine to lift very far, perhaps the suspension was just right, or perhaps the trans just wouldn't hit the tires hard enough.

Car stuff was so much more simple when fast fox mustangs were a neat thing.

Here are some Mustang wheelstand videos because quick smalltire drag mustangs are some of the most eventful things to go down a dragstrip.

This makes me laugh. What the gently caress 2500hp ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVD9rW4isvI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orx7imw27Bo

This is a famous one from long ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfSv0m8Kh8Y

jonathan fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 22, 2012

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

NitroSpazzz posted:

That was a great way to spend an hour. What a bad rear end truck and an awesome company.

It really would be fun to blast around the desert in one of those. gently caress it would be fun to hit mall parkinglot speedbumps at 2am.

I wonder what the total build cost would be, probably well over $120,000, but less than $200,000. I think it mentioned in the video that the Brake system was $30,000 alone.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

jonathan posted:

but less than $200,000.

Really? With 4 guys on it for 3 months with no overtime at $35/hr we're talking $67,000 in labor alone. I think we all know that time, head count and hourly rate are all unreasonably low.

This does not count design time. This does not count materials. This does not count the motor. This does not count the cab. Or the shocks, or the calipers, or the rotors or the seemingly only 2 or 3 other parts that weren't custom made.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Motronic posted:

Really? With 4 guys on it for 3 months with no overtime at $35/hr we're talking $67,000 in labor alone. I think we all know that time, head count and hourly rate are all unreasonably low.

This does not count design time. This does not count materials. This does not count the motor. This does not count the cab. Or the shocks, or the calipers, or the rotors or the seemingly only 2 or 3 other parts that weren't custom made.

Yeaaah foot in mouth, Their website has the Chevy pre-runner in one of those videos I posted. $650,000 used.

In the summer I was thinking about building a desert runner out of a 2wd Ford Ranger or Chevy Colorado. I ended up scrapping the idea after realizing it would be more expensive and slower than an Arctic Cat Wildcat which I wouldn't even have to fab a single part for.

Link: http://www.stewartsraceworks.com/forsale.php?truck=2010_luxury_prerunner

quote:

Kroyer 750HP Engine w/ Motec Fuel Injection
Kroyer Turbo 400 Transmission
Chromoly tig-welded chassis
All Cad-drawn, Water Cut Parts
Gearworks 10", 5.57 XTRAC Rear Diff
Alcon Brakes
King Coil Over & Bypass Shocks
Walker Evans Racing Wheels
39" BFGoodrich Project Tires
75 Gallon Fuel Safe Cell
Power Adjustable HID Light Bar
Hydraulic Jack System
Tool Box with Tool Kit
Rhino Lining
MP3/IPOD/Sat Radio Audio System
Front/Rear Camera System
10"Lowrance Global Map GPS
Dual Kenwood Race Radios and Intercom
Satellite Phone

jonathan fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 22, 2012

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

jonathan posted:

Their website has the Chevy pre-runner in one of those videos I posted. $650,000 used.

We've now swung beyond the high end price I was expecting. Holy crap.

I was thinking $400-500k new.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
That's an impressive build. From watching the video I would have been surprised if one went for under 500k.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

jonathan posted:

You might be thinking of the Panoz Esperante. They used the 4V 4.6L.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Sir Cornelius posted:

I'm pretty sure that it's not.

Are those tractor tyres?

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
http://www.desertrides.com/reference/racing_classes.php
This is now several years old, but I believe that the classes are still very similar. The cost listed on the site it probably low though. Desert racing owns, I don't think that it gets enough love in AI. Trophy trucks and the class 1 buggies are super expensive. If I am remembering correctly Terrible Herbst spent $50k on a transfer case for their first class 1 buggy. The Baja 1000 was also last week. Every once in a while you should be able to see the mint 400 or one of the other races on tv. It is pretty great to see those trucks around their top speeds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyLkin1KSn0&feature=youtu.be#t=18s This is short, but it's a friends ranger taking a small jump. I'm pretty sure it has a 302 now.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I love the white on white

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Tusen Takk posted:

A very silvery white.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

lol wrong thread

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Shimrod posted:

Are those tractor tyres?

No self respecting monster truck/car wouldn't use tractor tires :colbert:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

fixed that for ya.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Linedance posted:

fixed that for ya.
Well played.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I know some photographers feel that a composition should stand on it's own as it was shot, but I find a bit of judicious cropping can really help make the subject pop.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Linedance posted:

I know some photographers feel that a composition should stand on it's own as it was shot, but I find a bit of judicious cropping can really help make the subject pop.

Any photographer saying that probably knows how to "crop" while they're taking the photo. And arguably that's the way one does it without "cheating."

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Linedance posted:

So can a little bit of Photoshop - some quick and dirty burning on this:

And ffs that crazy tilt was giving me the worst veritgo :argh:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

front wing flexing posted:

No self respecting monster truck/car wouldn't use tractor tires :colbert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=HZ6q2gsPE-A#t=314s

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The video it came from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yHl24QynOM

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The chroma noise was bugging the hell out of me so I cut it down somewhat. Can't get rid of all the JPEG artifacts, but I did some minor selective sharpening and toned out a bit of that sickening green.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority

Tusen Takk posted:

Yeah, definitely silver. I had one in the same color that was actually "awesome AI car poo poo". ie not molested.

I swear that I was considering a personal license plate of NOT ILL because every loving car in the bay area has an illest sticker like the one you posted and a drift charm hanging from the rear bumper.

toaster_pastry fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 23, 2012

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

I know this gets said a lot about various people, but *that* is a man without even the most basic survival instinct.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Tusen Takk posted:

Looks great, defeats the purpose of the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Rear Admiral BOOYA posted:

Looks great, defeats the purpose of the car.

These cars can be made to handle REALLY well on pavement with the right mods. I appreciate a nicely done street subaru as much as a rally one. Put wheels/tires on that aren't stretched, and put good suspension in that car, it'll be a monster on the road.