Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I recently picked up a PSP because there's a few games I've been interested in (mainly Valkyria Chronicles 2), and was wondering what others might recommend. My current shortlist is the general stuff like Patapon, Locoroco, Star Ocean and Dissidia, mostly looking for any good hidden gems. Also, what's the general consensus on Trails in the Sky? Been looking at it and seems like a good fun JRPG as near as I can tell.

edit: VVVVVVV

Have a look at Costume Quest or Stacking on Xbox Live. As to retail games, try Rayman Origins and de Blob 2.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
I'm looking for games for my kids, but all their favorites on the last generation (Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper) are Playstation exclusive and we have an Xbox360. What are some high quality Xbox360 games that are similar to those? I already tried Kameo and it didn't click for them.

ClearAirTurbulence fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 23, 2012

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I recently picked up a PSP because there's a few games I've been interested in (mainly Valkyria Chronicles 2), and was wondering what others might recommend. My current shortlist is the general stuff like Patapon, Locoroco, Star Ocean and Dissidia, mostly looking for any good hidden gems. Also, what's the general consensus on Trails in the Sky? Been looking at it and seems like a good fun JRPG as near as I can tell.
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite is definitely something to check out. As for Trails in the Sky, it has an incredible amount of dialogue and just content in general. The combat's pretty fun, and it's only about $15 these days, so I'd give it a go.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Persona 2: Innocent Sin is pretty great.

CrunchyTaco
Dec 25, 2007

I'm looking for a grindy fantasy game for either PSP or DS (No vita or 3DS, unfortunately)... I'd take a good PC game as well!
I've played Disgaea 2 Dark Hero Days and that scratched my grinding itch but I've played that game into the ground!
Pokemon doesn't really hold my attention past the first gym and I can't seem to get into the Monster Hunter games.

Basically the grindy aspect of MMOs on a single player level for a handheld... if that makes sense?

The game really needs to have the whole RPG experience: ability to level up, swords/magic, and if possible lots of endgame grinding for weapons/armor/something.

I've played...
Ogre Battle: Let us Cling Together
Star Ocean (both on PSP)
The Final Fantasy tactics games
Disgaea
Pokemon
Dragon Warrior (Sentinels of the Sky?)

CrunchyTaco fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 23, 2012

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

CrunchyTaco posted:

I'm looking for a grindy fantasy game for either PSP or DS (No vita or 3DS, unfortunately)... I'd take a good PC game as well!
I've played Disgaea 2 Dark Hero Days and that scratched my grinding itch but I've played that game into the ground!
Pokemon doesn't really hold my attention past the first gym and I can't seem to get into the Monster Hunter games.

Basically the grindy aspect of MMOs on a single player level for a handheld... if that makes sense?

The game really needs to have the whole RPG experience: ability to level up, swords/magic, and if possible lots of endgame grinding for weapons/armor/something.

I've played...
Ogre Battle: Let us Cling Together
Star Ocean (both on PSP)
The Final Fantasy tactics games
Disgaea
Pokemon
Dragon Warrior (Sentinels of the Sky?)

Dragon Quest: Chapters of the Chosen
It's the best DQ game in the series, its extremely lengthy, spends a huge amount of time building up the intricate backstory of every character in your party and gives them a reason for joining you (so like Wild Arms 3 for PS2 but not poo poo).

Theres also Mystery Dungeon: Shiren The Wanderer which is about as grindy as you can get.

CrunchyTaco
Dec 25, 2007

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Dragon Quest: Chapters of the Chosen
It's the best DQ game in the series, its extremely lengthy, spends a huge amount of time building up the intricate backstory of every character in your party and gives them a reason for joining you (so like Wild Arms 3 for PS2 but not poo poo).

Theres also Mystery Dungeon: Shiren The Wanderer which is about as grindy as you can get.

I'll check out the Dragon Quest game - from some screenshots, it looks pretty good!

I really can't get behind the whole roguelike genre. I tried a few over the years and haven't been able to stay with them for too long.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Persona 2: Innocent Sin is pretty great.

The Persona games on it! I knew I'd forgotten something! :doh:

CrunchyTaco posted:

I'm looking for a grindy fantasy game for either PSP or DS

Get the Shin Megami Tensei games on either. Persona 1 and both Persona 2's on the PSP, or Devil Survivor 1&2(They're strategy RPG's) and SMT: Strange Journey (a full proper JRPG) on the DS

Urdnot Fire posted:

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite is definitely something to check out. As for Trails in the Sky, it has an incredible amount of dialogue and just content in general. The combat's pretty fun, and it's only about $15 these days, so I'd give it a go.

Thanks, I will.

Syrye
Jul 11, 2012

CrunchyTaco posted:

While it does lack swords, The World Ends With You should fit your needs.

Matt0088
Jun 24, 2011
Is there any game out there that is like Civilization but with, lets say, populous's more "hands off" play? I still enjoy Civ, but sometimes the ability to control every aspect (building in cities, population & resources etc.) tickles my sense of realism the wrong way. I have no clue if something like this exists, just curious. :)

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
This is a weird one, but oh well. Anyone know of a few games that have the mechanic shared by the Suikoden series and Assassin's Creed 3 (an odd pairing) where the primary gameplay is one thing, but there's a side-quest mechanic of recruiting characters and developing of a town/castle/base/etc? Because I always like that a lot whenever I run into it.

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

This is a weird one, but oh well. Anyone know of a few games that have the mechanic shared by the Suikoden series and Assassin's Creed 3 (an odd pairing) where the primary gameplay is one thing, but there's a side-quest mechanic of recruiting characters and developing of a town/castle/base/etc? Because I always like that a lot whenever I run into it.

Neverwinter Nights 2 had a castle you can build and manage.
The Mass Effect games have a ship you can upgrade.
Dragon Quest 7 had a town that you can improve.
I think Dragon Age awakening also had a castle.
Actraiser is pretty much a city building sim plus action platformer.
The last few Elder Scrolls games all have castles you can get, and mods that expand on them to make it a bit more like Suikoden.
Growlanser 3 had a town you can invite merchants to, but it was pretty limited.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Matt0088 posted:

Is there any game out there that is like Civilization but with, lets say, populous's more "hands off" play? I still enjoy Civ, but sometimes the ability to control every aspect (building in cities, population & resources etc.) tickles my sense of realism the wrong way. I have no clue if something like this exists, just curious. :)

This might be a bit of a curve-ball, so forgive me if I'm off the mark, but the Paradox strategy series is really good for hands-off civilization management. Games like Europa Universalis 3 and Victoria allow you to be the 'spririt' behind the government of a nation, broadly controlling its wider direction but the direct micro-management is done by AI and formulated coding. Some people even play the game without interacting at all, letting a world of AI nations take their own course. These people are weird because the game has much more to offer, but it certainly tickles the 'hands-off' aspect you seek.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Divinity II: Ego Draconis has a battle tower you gain control of part-way through the game, but while you can upgrade it, the upgrades are pretty minor and generally just make things cost less.

It's also a really fun game though, so I suggest playing it regardless.

meadowlark
May 25, 2012
I'm looking for two types of games;

- A space 4X game with heavy emphasis on ship customization. The only space 4X game I've played is Master of Orion 2 and I really enjoyed it.

- A game that focuses on resource management and trade, like Colonization and Dawn of Discovery.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sir_Seth posted:

- A space 4X game with heavy emphasis on ship customization. The only space 4X game I've played is Master of Orion 2 and I really enjoyed it.

Sadly, your best option here is to play more MOO2.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sir_Seth posted:

- A game that focuses on resource management and trade, like Colonization and Dawn of Discovery.

Star Ruler by goon Firgof is all about customisation. Very cheap right now too!

Otherwise Distant Worlds has a lot of customisation, but it is not cheap! (although right now it's as cheap as it gets). It has a 'private economy' but not the supply chains of an Anno game.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Sir_Seth posted:

Galactic Civilizations 2 is a pretty good 4X game that lets you build your own ships by sticking different parts together.

Like, check out this guy who recreated a bunch of ships from Star Wars and Star Trek with the ingame editor.

You could also make your ships look like giant robots that shoot lasers from their robot wieners if you're into that kind of thing.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

dis astranagant posted:

Sadly, your best option here is to play more MOO2.

Space Empires IV, specifically the DevNull mod (to rebalance some of the completely broken tech in vanilla) is excellent and can certainly fill a MOO2 shaped hole.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

a 16 year old girl posted:

Galactic Civilizations 2 is a pretty good 4X game that lets you build your own ships by sticking different parts together.

Like, check out this guy who recreated a bunch of ships from Star Wars and Star Trek with the ingame editor.

You could also make your ships look like giant robots that shoot lasers from their robot wieners if you're into that kind of thing.

If these two writeups of GalCiv 2 don't convince you to play that game, then pretty much nothing will.

*Disclaimer: The GalCiv games are made by Stardock, headed by professional rear end in a top hat Brad Wardell. The game itself is solid but if you don't want him seeing any of your money I thought I should point that out.

*edit*
The random surrendering thing actually does kind of make sense (sort of) when you learn why the AI does it. Basically they're programmed such that they know that surrendering to the enemy that defeated them will involve giving said enemy all their stuff, which they won't do because they hate that guy. So when an AI is beaten to the point of surrender they'll usually pick some neutral third party to surrender all their territory to just to spite the race that beat them. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense from an in-universe perspective, but it does make sense from a metagame perspective.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 26, 2012

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
I was a huge MOO2 fan, still play it from time to time, but I did not like Galactic Civilization 2. It sounded good from the descriptions, but it's missing so much of what makes MOO2 great. There is little variety between the races, some are more likely to build culture buildings and some are more likely to build warships, but they all play pretty much the same. The ship design is pointless, the combat system is very basic, you have no direct control over combat, it's just paper/rock/scissors. The diplomacy system is fairly robust, but the AI acts very strangely in negotiations, and you'll have weird situations like where an empire that is larger than you and neither your friend nor your enemy will suddenly surrender to you. There are also certain strategies that make the game incredibly easy, and you don't have to look them up online, just playing around I stumbled upon a couple of ways to win just by building certain buildings.

The tone of the game is just awful - it has super-serious backstory with ancient races battling in the past, like the Antaran vs. Orion conflict in MOO2, but it also has stupid nerdy humor that falls flat, like an alien race whose leader is called "Tech Romancer", or random events that determine your alignment that are parodies of Star Trek episodes. This is the least important thing to me, if the gameplay was compelling I wouldn't care at all, it's just foul icing on a poo poo cake.

Just play MOO2, it holds up well. So far nobody has made a game that comes close to it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is from a little while back, but Trails in the Sky is really good, pick it up.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Going to post again in this thread as I've found it helpful before. Currently looking for two suggestions, thanks in advance to the helpful goons here.

1. Looking for a local co-op game of any kind that I can play with my girlfriend who doesn't have a great attention span. Looking for something PC/Xbox.

2. Looking for a suggestion for a game that is 100% browser based. I've played games like O-game previously and had a lot of fun. I have a lot of down time at my job and hope that I can find something fun/addicting to pass what can sometimes be hours.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

VelociBacon posted:

Going to post again in this thread as I've found it helpful before. Currently looking for two suggestions, thanks in advance to the helpful goons here.

1. Looking for a local co-op game of any kind that I can play with my girlfriend who doesn't have a great attention span. Looking for something PC/Xbox.

2. Looking for a suggestion for a game that is 100% browser based. I've played games like O-game previously and had a lot of fun. I have a lot of down time at my job and hope that I can find something fun/addicting to pass what can sometimes be hours.

Halo's good for mindless co-op fun (Any of them, but Halo:CE or Reach are probably best). There's also Castle Crashers, Gears of War or Saints Row 2 or 3. Most of those either have stories you can ignore in favour of gameplay (not a slight against them, just saying), or you can play them in bite-sized chunks (like an odd mission or just general co-op mayhem in Saints Row).

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

VelociBacon posted:

Fallen London

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Are there any games that play like WoW but offline? Something to mindlessly grind in when my ISP decides to drop me every 5 minutes and I don't feel like playing any of the single player games I've already beaten 10 times over.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ularg posted:

Are there any games that play like WoW but offline? Something to mindlessly grind in when my ISP decides to drop me every 5 minutes and I don't feel like playing any of the single player games I've already beaten 10 times over.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. It's more active than WoW but it kinda has that grindy quality to it.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. It's more active than WoW but it kinda has that grindy quality to it.

Thanks. I'm looking for things I can tune out to. Play some music or talk to friends and not have to worry about missing details from voices or cutscenes.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Ularg posted:

Divinity 2: Ego Draconis, maybe

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
So would any of you guys be able to help me find a browser/flash game I can play while I am at work? I work at a museum and while it is an interesting job, there are these terrible periods of downtime where I do not have much to do.

Any strategy-type games would be perfect, specifically 4x's or something along those lines. Something that does not require all that much clicking (or, at least, rapid clicking) so I don't draw attention to myself—my boss is an angry Israeli woman who can go on a warpath at a moment's notice.

I have tried out Rebuild 2, but I have that on my iPhone and that version is far more fancy/upgraded than the flash version.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

nutranurse posted:

So would any of you guys be able to help me find a browser/flash game I can play while I am at work? I work at a museum and while it is an interesting job, there are these terrible periods of downtime where I do not have much to do.

Any strategy-type games would be perfect, specifically 4x's or something along those lines. Something that does not require all that much clicking (or, at least, rapid clicking) so I don't draw attention to myself—my boss is an angry Israeli woman who can go on a warpath at a moment's notice.

I have tried out Rebuild 2, but I have that on my iPhone and that version is far more fancy/upgraded than the flash version.

https://www.ogame.org is a fun one that I play from work also :woop:

It's a space game where you build stuff on your planet and manage resources and build a fleet and etc etc. You might really like it, there used to be a goon presence but I couldn't find a thread for it anymore. I'm on the "Leo" server if you want to join me but chances are we'd start super far apart. PM me if you want to ask me about the game.

Edit: it's one of those games where you kinda play it in bursts, especially initially when you don't have much going in the way of resource production.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 30, 2012

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

VelociBacon posted:

https://www.ogame.org is a fun one that I play from work also :woop:

It's a space game where you build stuff on your planet and manage resources and build a fleet and etc etc. You might really like it, there used to be a goon presence but I couldn't find a thread for it anymore. I'm on the "Leo" server if you want to join me but chances are we'd start super far apart. PM me if you want to ask me about the game.

Edit: it's one of those games where you kinda play it in bursts, especially initially when you don't have much going in the way of resource production.

Thanks, I'll check this out!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

nutranurse posted:

How locked down is the PC? You can play FreeCiv Portable off of a thumb drive.
http://portableapps.com/apps/games/freeciv_portable

e: Just realized you're probably talking about from a mobile phone, likely Android since you referenced flash. FreeCiv is also available (for free, natch) in the Android app store.

e2: or not, since you referenced iPhone.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Dec 1, 2012

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I have a challenge for you. I want to chill out with a game where I collect things. Possibly then combine those things to make bigger things. I don't care if it takes awhile or if it's grindy or if it even just runs in a window in the background like goddamn progress quest, I just want to collect things and then go "holy poo poo I just found [super rare exciting thing] yes!!"

The challenge part comes in because I'm tired of these sorts of games involving combat. I want a non-combat collect poo poo game. Does one exist?

I've been playing "Mine Things" which is a browser based game and it's almost exactly what I want! Except I quickly reached the point where I need to move the things I collect from city to city, and then other players come along and attack me and take my things and I don't want to worry about combat and poo poo I just want to collect things god drat it :mad:

Trade elements are fine. Minor non-stressful combat might be okay if there are no other options and there is a particularly good game lurking around.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Tagra posted:

I have a challenge for you. I want to chill out with a game where I collect things. Possibly then combine those things to make bigger things. I don't care if it takes awhile or if it's grindy or if it even just runs in a window in the background like goddamn progress quest, I just want to collect things and then go "holy poo poo I just found [super rare exciting thing] yes!!"

The challenge part comes in because I'm tired of these sorts of games involving combat. I want a non-combat collect poo poo game. Does one exist?
Animal Crossing.

MustardMaster
Oct 14, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'd want to play a game with a good story. Preferably an RPG, but anything goes really. I've liked the Final Fantasy series, Persona 4, Metal Gear series and Deus Ex:HR. I know about Deadly Premonition, Nier and Silent Hill and have watched LPs of them.

So what is there under the Moon?

mdh1975
Sep 4, 2011

Ularg posted:

Sacred 2. You can get the Gold edition from Gamersgate UK since the expansion is not sold here in the US. This is the reason I bought it, as it was described (possibly in this thread a while back) as an offline WoW clone.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

MustardMaster posted:

I'd want to play a game with a good story. Preferably an RPG, but anything goes really. I've liked the Final Fantasy series, Persona 4, Metal Gear series and Deus Ex:HR. I know about Deadly Premonition, Nier and Silent Hill and have watched LPs of them.

So what is there under the Moon?
Xenoblade.

MustardMaster
Oct 14, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Joramun posted:

Xenoblade.

Sadly I don't have a Wii. Heard that Xenoblade rocks though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm maybe 1/3-1/2 of the way through Xenoblade and I've heard there's a lot of twists left to go but to be honest I think the story and writing are not all that great. There are some specific things about it that bother me, like how often characters will just speak in complete sentences to themselves because the writers don't seem to know any other, more subtle way to communicate motivation or intent. It's a good game though.

I recommend the Mask of the Betrayer expansion for NWN2, or Planescape: Torment.