Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Just bit on the Insound buy 10, get 20% off deal (christ). Quite a few of my selections were backordered unfortunately. Anyone know how long it typically takes Insound to fill backorders? I remember ordering a Dilla record for them a long time ago that languished in backorder hell for weeks until they finally cancelled it. I'm hoping that won't happen with their top sellers though.

The backordered stuff I bought included the new Kendrick, Madvillainy, Lonerism, and Until the Quiet Comes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

So if I buy the Moonrise Kingdom soundtrack tomorrow I'll be destroying my hobby?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

eggsovereasy posted:

So if I buy the Moonrise Kingdom soundtrack tomorrow I'll be destroying my hobby?

Not really, but there's probably going to be only one copy and if you want it you're going to have to be out there at 7:00 am to get it. Honestly I'd be suprised if RSD lasts another two years. The majority of people buying the poo poo aren't even buying the records to listen to them.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

CPL593H posted:

Not really, but there's probably going to be only one copy and if you want it you're going to have to be out there at 7:00 am to get it. Honestly I'd be suprised if RSD lasts another two years. The majority of people buying the poo poo aren't even buying the records to listen to them.

I decided a long time ago nothing is worth waiting in line at 7am, so I'm showing up at like noon and if they have what they want I'm buying it, if they don't I'm just going home.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Strictly Discs still has copies of the Moonrise Kingdom OST. That's where I got mine, anyway. Won't even have to leave the house.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Strictly Discs still has copies of the Moonrise Kingdom OST. That's where I got mine, anyway. Won't even have to leave the house.

Can you link to the actual disc? I can't find it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Can you link to the actual disc? I can't find it.

You might have to login first, but it's on this page:

http://www.strictlydiscs.com/page/about/us/intheknow?id=194

I think it just says you have to send them an email and they'll send you one. Worked for me.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
$50 for the Nirvana - Incesticide reissue? Oh, record store day.

That's more than I have set aside for all of Black Friday (being broke sucks). I'm just going to blow all my money on Topshelf and Deathwish's sales at midnight.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Am I excited to receive my copy of this?

Yes.

Am I going to care I'll have a big box set that says, "VINYLS" on it?

No.

Do I care it's video game music and I only ever played Final Fantasy 7 and 8 like, 14 years ago?

No.

Is Nobuo Uematsu an incredibly kind man who can make some beautiful music?

I saw him perform in a very small and intimate venue as a three piece band. By the end of the show he had tears in his eyes as he was thanking people.

So I'd say, yes.

Can't wait.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

a big box set that says, "VINYLS" on it

How could a publisher be so careless as to include a word that doesn't exist.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Ron Burgundy posted:

Why the gently caress waste the opportunity to call it "Vinyl Fantasy"?

So many questions.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

Ron Burgundy posted:

That's what the final fantasy is :ssh: .

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0NW0H83202 Newegg is offering a pretty big discount on this turntable.
I'm not in the US, so I can't exploit this :/

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Non Serviam posted:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0NW0H83202 Newegg is offering a pretty big discount on this turntable.
I'm not in the US, so I can't exploit this :/

It looks lovely, sorry.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Never stop being lovely, local record store.

In April they decided to implement a random number line assignment for Record Store Day. After 30 minutes of those of us in the front of the line grumbling, they abandoned it. Surely they wouldn't try that again?

Of course they would, according to their FB posting last night.

The store is small and holds maybe 50 people comfortably. At the store opening this morning there were 10 of us in line. By any measure of common sense, it would be silly to do the random number assignment with so few of us.

But that didn't stop them.

Cheesus fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 23, 2012

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I've been casually aware of vinyl being available from some of the electronic and small bands I listen to - but I figured most of it was direct small sales at some pretty rough prices. I looked at the RSD release list, figured that I'd see what was going on. Local store opens at 10 and was interesting to see the line out front, maybe about 20 - 30 people.

Not a collector but I found it interesting that, aside from the indie band fans and such, people were talking about the albums not for anything other than how it were limited or some gimmick that was related to it. Anyways people walked in and grabbed what they wanted, looks like plenty of stock. I grabbed the Skrillex albums myself, the price on these things is harsh but when you look at comparable purchases from dubious MP3 stores, having a good quality copy with a nice large jacket and art is worth it.

Although I feel like someone would be yelling at me in that not only have I opened these to listen to them, but I have removed the shrink wrap. Oh well.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Amazon had the Nevermind Deluxe 4LP re-issue as a lightning deal for $35 and I couldn't resist, even though the remastering of the original album is apparently complete poo poo (absolutely unheard of in this day and age, I know). I'm more interested in the other vinyls though with b-sides and session recordings.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Partycat posted:

I've been casually aware of vinyl being available from some of the electronic and small bands I listen to - but I figured most of it was direct small sales at some pretty rough prices. I looked at the RSD release list, figured that I'd see what was going on. Local store opens at 10 and was interesting to see the line out front, maybe about 20 - 30 people.

Not a collector but I found it interesting that, aside from the indie band fans and such, people were talking about the albums not for anything other than how it were limited or some gimmick that was related to it. Anyways people walked in and grabbed what they wanted, looks like plenty of stock. I grabbed the Skrillex albums myself, the price on these things is harsh but when you look at comparable purchases from dubious MP3 stores, having a good quality copy with a nice large jacket and art is worth it.

Although I feel like someone would be yelling at me in that not only have I opened these to listen to them, but I have removed the shrink wrap. Oh well.

Yeah that's basically the way RSD works. You should watch that collectors documentary someone posted.

Of course, I just got 2 amazing remasters:

loving stellar art on Dopesmoker. Pretty stoked to give it a listen.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Partycat posted:

Two things. RSD day is the absolute worst way to get an idea of record prices. That poo poo is over priced as all hell. Secondly, anyone who buys records and doesn't listen to them is an rear end in a top hat.

thathonkey posted:

Amazon had the Nevermind Deluxe 4LP re-issue as a lightning deal for $35 and I couldn't resist, even though the remastering of the original album is apparently complete poo poo (absolutely unheard of in this day and age, I know). I'm more interested in the other vinyls though with b-sides and session recordings.

As far as the actual Nevermind album is concerned, the ORG pressing is all you need.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Cheesus posted:

Never stop being lovely, local record store.

In April they decided to implement a random number line assignment for Record Store Day. After 30 minutes of those of us in the front of the line grumbling, they abandoned it. Surely they wouldn't try that again?

Of course they would, according to their FB posting last night.

The store is small and holds maybe 50 people comfortably. At the store opening this morning there were 10 of us in line. By any measure of common sense, it would be silly to do the random number assignment with so few of us.

But that didn't stop them.

Since there were so few of you, everyone should have traded numbers to reflect the order of the line as it stood. Slept through my alarm or something so I rolled into the store about an hour after opening and grabbed a few items, they didn't have everything I wanted but that bill would have been too high anyway.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I bought the Love reissue and Lumineers EP today, they're both pretty great.

I showed up about 20 minutes after the store opened and they were busy, but no lines or anything. I wanted to get the Moonrise Kingdom sound track, but they said FedEx forgot to leave one of the boxes so they didn't have any. They're supposed to call me though.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
So I finally got the White Album delivered. And I'm disappointed with the packaging one two accounts. First off, they didn't number it, which was one of the more awesome things about the original, since it was basically a "limited edition of 7 million," in John's words. Secondly, the slits are on the side instead of the top. Once again, that was something different about the original album. The inserts are good quality, and they got the record sleeves the right color.

Especially on Beatles' albums, those little touches are very important. It's not enough for me to say "This is bullshit," and toss the record out of the window, but you would expect more care put into small details for the Beatles. It's still done well.

As for the sound of the record, well god damned - it's really good.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
Third Man Records has a few deals in their online store today including some bundles and half price stuff. I got a package with the Meg holga camera, mini usb white stripes theramin and the hardcover book from the stripes tour of Canada all for $145 including shipping.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

CPL593H posted:

As far as the actual Nevermind album is concerned, the ORG pressing is all you need.

Would you say it's better than the original Geffen release? I've got one of the copies without "Endless, Nameless" on it, and was curious if the ORG is better.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Partycat posted:

Never leave the shrink wrap on your records. Buy sleeves.

I don't listen to my vinyl because I've slowly acquired a turntable, receiver, and an EQ but I don't have speakers yet. Ever time I have money I end up spending it on records. I'll be getting speakers soon though...if I don't end up just buying more records.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Anyone have opinion or info on the Beatles LP Box that is out? Mixed reviews regarding quality control all over amazon but they list it for $319. My local store is selling it for $430.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Kevar posted:

Never leave the shrink wrap on your records. Buy sleeves.

I don't listen to my vinyl because I've slowly acquired a turntable, receiver, and an EQ but I don't have speakers yet. Ever time I have money I end up spending it on records. I'll be getting speakers soon though...if I don't end up just buying more records.
Why sleeves instead of shrink wrap?

Also, screw speakers, get some nice headphones and sink into your sofa.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Shrink wrap can warp vinyl over time.

I got a copy of CX KidtroniK's Krak Attack lp, and he was cool enough to sign and draw pictures on it.... On the goddamn shrink wrap!

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

I Might Be Adam posted:

Anyone have opinion or info on the Beatles LP Box that is out? Mixed reviews regarding quality control all over amazon but they list it for $319. My local store is selling it for $430.

I'd assume CD masters until I read/heard otherwise.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Ron Burgundy posted:

I'd assume CD masters until I read/heard otherwise.

They're not the CD masters. They are sourced from the same digital transfers for the CD versions, because that's where all the restoration work is done, and the people involve want as much parity as possible between the two.

However, where the CD masters had some limiting, the LPs feature none of it.

I have both Abbey Road and the White Album, and both LPs are really good sounding and quite worth it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Redscroll Records in CT was kind of unbearable today. My friend and I went at around 2:30 and there were more people there than I'd ever seen before.

The one on the right is a live bootleg. The one on the left is goon favorite Tonetta.

That's volume III of III.....which means I might need to get the other two....

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

holy gently caress ride me is so catchy but got drat them lyrics

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

WASDF posted:

holy gently caress ride me is so catchy but got drat them lyrics

Have you seen his videos? He's been posting them on YouTube for years, and they keep getting taken down- but fans constantly repost them. I know one of the SA writers posted a front page appreciation article on them a year or two ago.

They're the sort of thing cops might find on VHS in a serial killer's apartment (VERY NWS, possibly NMS). Quite a bit of outsider art.

Or to quote the Guardian, "Punk lives, and it's wearing a thong."

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 24, 2012

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

iostream.h posted:

Why sleeves instead of shrink wrap?

Also, screw speakers, get some nice headphones and sink into your sofa.

Like someone said, it can warp vinyl over time. I can't really find a consensus if it's true or not, but why risk it? My biggest thing is I just don't like the way it looks when you leave the shrink wrap on. A lot of the labels I've been ordering from the past couple years ship their stuff in sleeves instead of shrink wrap, which is awesome because I'm currently out of sleeves.

If I still smoked weed I'd get awesome headphones in a heartbeat.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kevar posted:

If I still smoked weed I'd get awesome headphones in a heartbeat.

Don't ever stop smoking weed.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Don't ever stop smoking weed.

Trust me, I'm really broken up about it. After 6 years of constant smoking it just started giving me really intense panic attacks one day about a year ago.

The ONLY upside: More money for records

mia2000
Feb 8, 2003

This is our song of exultant joy
If a kind soul happens upon a copy of Incubus' "Morning View" RSD release, and would be willing to pick it up, I'd gladly PayPal for for the cost of the record plus shipping plus some extra cash for your troubles. I don't have access to a vehicle at the moment, so I couldn't make it out today, and eBay activity looks a tad crazy at the moment for a record that doesn't seem super rare. Shoot me a PM or hit me up in this thread, and thanks in advance.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Kevar posted:

A lot of the labels I've been ordering from the past couple years ship their stuff in sleeves instead of shrink wrap, which is awesome because I'm currently out of sleeves.
I got one record that came in a sealed sleeve with a perforated edge, that's my favourite kind so far. The guy who ran it died a few years ago though so there aren't any more releases on that label.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

MichiganCubbie posted:

Would you say it's better than the original Geffen release? I've got one of the copies without "Endless, Nameless" on it, and was curious if the ORG is better.

I don't know for sure because I've never heard the original Geffen release. I should have clarified that I meant in terms of reissues. The original pressing is probably not to easy to come by. If you have it, you probably won't be needing a replacement. My praise for the ORG reissue comes from the fact that I just think it sounds really good and because it's an analog remaster.

edit: The main reason I use plastic outer sleeves is dust protection.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Nov 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I need a longer ground cable for my Technics SL-Q350. It's got a weird proprietary plug, so I was thinking I'd just splice in some additional wiring. A friend said that 16ga speaker wire should work just fine, but I wanted to check with you gentlemen first. Thoughts? Would this do it?

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Nov 24, 2012