Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I don't think Doc Scratch would try to impersonate Andrew Hussie, either to Caliborn or to the audience, unless he absolutely had to, and I can't imagine why he'd need to. And that's assuming that Hussie isn't one of those things that's a gap in his omniscience, which seemed to be the case when he was killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

krakagar posted:

Also, it's not been confirmed that Caliborn is talking to Hussie. I know there's a good chance it is him but still. There's a lot in common with this mysterious narrator and Doc Scratch's dialogue, I'm wondering if there is some kind of link there. I assume Caliborn has some kind of contact with him at some point, seeing as he is responsible for ushering in Lord English's arrival.
I'm 100% sure this is Hussie we're dealing with, but the similarity to Doc Scratch is still intriguing.

After all, we still don't know where Doc Scratch really came from. Why was he the way he was? Why was he the way Lord English chose to enter the Troll's universe?

I wonder if perhaps Caliborn somehow harnessed Hussie's narrator powers or something and somehow gave those to Doc Scratch. Something like that might be how Doc Scratch was able to wrest control of the narrative away from Hussie.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Eiba posted:

After all, we still don't know where Doc Scratch really came from. Why was he the way he was? Why was he the way Lord English chose to enter the Troll's universe?
Actually we know that Scratch was the result of Snowman doing some Weird Time poo poo ectobiology with Vriska's cue ball and Lil Cal.

Which is interesting, because Lil Cal freaks Caliborn right the gently caress out, if I recall. Or maybe that's just Dirk's iteration - the "dead" one.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Eiba posted:

I'm 100% sure this is Hussie we're dealing with, but the similarity to Doc Scratch is still intriguing.

My new (insane) theory is that in-comic Hussie is the Cherubs' First Guardian.

Norton Ghostride
Apr 30, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DontMockMySmock posted:

My new (insane) theory is that in-comic Hussie is the Cherubs' First Guardian.

Oh my god

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Doc Scratch was made by ectobiologically combining the First Guardian genetic code (written across four FLARP manuals), the paradox ghost imprint of Lil Cal, the paradox ghost imprint of a magic cue ball, and a "wild card" genetic code that was revealed to Gamzee in a timeline wherein he went prematurely crazy. We have been led to assume that Gamzee's code is what caused (an incarnation of?) Lord English to incubate inside of Doc Scratch's body, and I think this is a reasonable assumption; Gamzee's revelation was related to his religion, which is related to Lord English, and that's a far stronger connection he has to Andrew Hussie.

Doc Scratch was omniscient, so it's natural that he'd have some awareness of the narration device, and perhaps even about the audience on our side of the fourth wall. He could plausibly use his various First Guardian powers to manipulate an arbitrary mechanism that transmits backwards along the narration channel. This could be seen as analogous to the time Sollux traced the source of Doc Scratch's messages via the Trollian network back to his typewriter.

As for why Doc Scratch chose to enter universe A2 via Doc Scratch's innards, the program that triggered the metamorphosis of whatever organism his genes had been inserted into would only execute at the end of the universe, and as a First Guardian, Doc Scratch was the only organism guaranteed to still be around at the end of the universe. Nothing else created by ectobiology (the only way to turn a genetic code into an organism) was still in universe A2 when it ended; Doc Scratch was the only suitable host.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

A little belated but...
Happy Thanksgiving!

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

DaveKap posted:

A little belated but...
Happy Thanksgiving!

I like that everyone else is doing their best to ignore her.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Considering the purpose of Thanksgiving is to make your relatives as uncomfortable as possible so you can live in peace for another year... good job?

Luminous Obscurity fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Nov 23, 2012

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

DaveKap posted:

A little belated but...
Happy Thanksgiving!

RIP PYF thing to mock on the internet

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I know what you're feeling, grans. :smith:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I am thankful for bitchin' shades.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That picture has to go up there with the "Let Me Tell You About Homestuck" picture, for real. It's a work of art.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Seoinin posted:

Actually we know that Scratch was the result of Snowman doing some Weird Time poo poo ectobiology with Vriska's cue ball and Lil Cal.

Which is interesting, because Lil Cal freaks Caliborn right the gently caress out, if I recall. Or maybe that's just Dirk's iteration - the "dead" one.

I think Dave got Lil Caliborn, and Dirk got Lil Calliope.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

DaveKap posted:

A little belated but...
Happy Thanksgiving!

All is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

I'm still wondering if Dirk's Lil' Cal will ever come back and be relevant somehow. I mean, sure, it'd be a stretch since the other one already ate up a significant chunk of plot, and it'd be odd for lightning to strike twice, even if the second strike is much smaller in scope.

Although speaking of things doomed to a watery grave, I'm still wondering if that's truly the last we'll see of Lil' Seb. I'd like to be optimistic, but robot bunnies already have a pretty poor track record of surviving Homestuck stories.

We'll have to see if rap robots and shades-inhabiting AI's end up faring better.

DaveKap posted:

A little belated but...

At the thanksgiving table, I would find cosplay-induced uncomfortable silence infinitely preferable to the uncomfortable conversations involving older relatives complaining about "black people taking over the country and destroying our values". :smith: No respect for Obana, let me tell you.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
So on a similar note, am I the only who feels like Homestuck fans are really kind of off in their own category when compared to a lot of the other nerd fandoms? I'm not sure if they're more self-aware or they just embrace the sheer absurdity of what they do or what, but whatever it is I really don't see it from most other fan communities. Maybe its a side-effect of having a fanbase made up entirely of internet people, it's honestly kind of interesting.

You'd never see things like "Let Me Tell You About X" pictures coming from Trekkies or Naruto fans or whoever, for example.

Luminous Obscurity fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Nov 23, 2012

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Luminous Obscurity posted:

So on a similar note, am I the only who feels like Homestuck fans are really kind of off in their own category when compared to a lot of the other nerd fandoms? I'm not sure if they're more self-aware or they just embrace the sheer absurdity of what they do or what, but whatever it is I really don't see it from most other fan communities. Maybe its a side-effect of having a fanbase made up entirely of internet people, it's honestly kind of interesting.

You'd never see things like "Let Me Tell You About X" pictures coming from Trekkies or Naruto fans or whoever, for example.

Having been involved in other large and crazy fandoms, I can safely say that no, it is not unique to Homestuck; it's just more readily apparent due to the large size of the fandom. Avatar (The Last Airbender) fandom was pretty insane too, and always struck me as having the most volatile shipping wars I'd ever seen. Bronies are also especially expansive and a little crazy in that Homestuck-esque kind of way. Maybe even moreso; MLP:FIM one of the very few fandoms I can think of that has/had its own dedicated conventions (yes, conventions, plural), and Homestuck ain't on that list.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Luminous Obscurity posted:

I think that, being entirely made up of Internet people, the discipline and punishment effect is probably stronger. Hence, all the self-deprecating macros on "let me tell you about homestuck" and that bucket-in-restaurant vid that was circulating. "Don't be like that, fellow fans", it says.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sadly, bronies are not nearly as self-aware as homestuck fans :v:

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

I think that, being entirely made up of Internet people, the discipline and punishment effect is probably stronger. Hence, all the self-deprecating macros on "let me tell you about homestuck" and that bucket-in-restaurant vid that was circulating. "Don't be like that, fellow fans", it says.

Y'know, I didn't really agree with this until I remembered a spree of tumblr posts by cosplay-fangirls a month or so basically saying "This is acceptable behaviour in cosplay [doing it at a convention, hanging out in cosplay, acting in character but not forcing other people into it] and this is not [being in a grocery store, the bucket thing, acting at people or roleplaying Cronus far too well], and you guys [terrible people awful cosplayers] are really ruining it for us [good people great cosplayers]! Please learn to behave."

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Tollymain posted:

Sadly, bronies are not nearly as self-aware as homestuck fans :v:

Maybe not on the whole. But I'm glad I'm not as fervent as one acquaintance who posted a bitchton of "New Lunar Republic" statuses on Election Day. I mean, Christ, way too much there. He even messaged a bunch of folks asking for support for the cause. Ridiculously cringe-worthy.

War Requiem
Apr 22, 2008

MY BUTTOCKS SHALL DEFEAT YOU!
To derail you from talking about fandom instead of Homestuck, I just realized that the tower talks a bit like a fully prototyped sprite. Giving hints but not telling everything right away. How would a planet-prototyped kernelsprite look like anyway?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Gabriel Pope posted:

I'm probably reading too much into this, but some quick number crunching suggests that a basic ring of pure gold could plausibly be rolled into about a square yard of gold foil, or at least that's what their comparative weights suggest.

My basic number crunching, using this calculator, suggests that you don't quite have enough gold to do that. I'm no expert on gold, but some quick googling seems to suggest that a pretty thin sheet of gold foil might be around 0.001 inches. Plug that and 36 by 36 inches into the calculator works out to 410 grams of gold, which is way more than a ring weighs. (Googling also suggests that it can be much thinner, but I wasn't able to get any numbers and reducing the square yard weight to the about 12 grams a pretty heavy ring weighs ends up being absurdly thin).

On the other hand, rather than a square yard of gold, if you just try for a 36 inch by 1 inch sheet of gold (about what a yardstick would be), a 0.001 inch thick sheet works out to about 11 grams, which is pretty much the weight of a ring exactly.

e: The gold sheet thing is coincidence, but there's a fair amount of proper evidence:

Start reading here, with the ring theory in mind.

Also if you want to get into technicalities, John is still inside the yellow yard where Hussie's allowed to interfere when he receives the ring.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 23, 2012

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

War Requiem posted:

To derail you from talking about fandom instead of Homestuck, I just realized that the tower talks a bit like a fully prototyped sprite. Giving hints but not telling everything right away. How would a planet-prototyped kernelsprite look like anyway?

Potentially like the Skaia orb on a king's scepter?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Midnight Raider posted:

At the thanksgiving table, I would find cosplay-induced uncomfortable silence infinitely preferable to the uncomfortable conversations involving older relatives complaining about "black people taking over the country and destroying our values". :smith: No respect for Obana, let me tell you.

I sometimes wonder if my grandparents are weird aberrations since every time I hear someone on SA talk about their grandparents it's always about how they are racist or right-wing nutjobs or something.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

TheDemon posted:

Also if you want to get into technicalities, John is still inside the yellow yard where Hussie's allowed to interfere when he receives the ring.

Oh my god, that's true. All this time I thought he was cheating with that. Goddammit, Hussie.

He's still cheating with this current set of updates though :argh:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bobulus posted:

It seems possible that Hussie is retconning that.

His promised one moment of interference was originally leveling up John and Jade as they passed between the windows. But then he did the same to Dave and Rose, and they had nothing to do with the yellow yard.

So maybe he's replacing the yellow yard with the yellow ring and declaring giving it to Vriska to be his one moment of interference.

No, his promised one moment of interference was the nanosecond in which John and Jade were between Fourth Walls, temporarily co-existing with Hussie himself. The "yellow yard" described the distance they would travel, that's all.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Oxxidation posted:

No, his promised one moment of interference was the nanosecond in which John and Jade were between Fourth Walls, temporarily co-existing with Hussie himself. The "yellow yard" described the distance they would travel, that's all.

But this one nanosecond lasts three years for John and Jade...

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Cat Mattress posted:

But this one nanosecond lasts three years for John and Jade...

That's correct. They are very small, and for them that yard spans 3 light-years.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Three nanoseconds. Light goes one foot per nanosecond (in a vacuum), and the ship is traveling at the speed of light.

edit: we need an emote that's a combo of :goonsay: and :science:

edit edit:
code:
  ________
 ___|__|___
(--[ \ \   ] / ***
(_______0__)

DontMockMySmock fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 23, 2012

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Update! Yea, that's pretty much the Huss on the other side.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

God drat Hussie, way to jab the penultimate villain of the story with a loving cattle-prod.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

And some of us were just noting that the colors were all dark. Hussie, you're starting to scare me.

Also odds on Caliborn shooting Gamzee again?

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

Color Printer posted:

Also odds on Caliborn shooting Gamzee again?

Why bet on something so obvious?

Also I love how nerdy Hussie went with the hex code. No doubt someone in tumblrland already did...

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
At this point I can't see Caliborn shooting Gamzeee again as ever being a thing that not happens. It's like punctuation.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
So I just had a huge rush of appreciation and/or enjoyment out of Caliborn being the main antagonist in Homestuck.

For someone who grew up with video games and enjoys them (which is a LOT of people in their 20's or early 30's), but doesn't spend 100% of their time and effort on playing or mastering said games, who is the most aggravating person to interact with?

That young, hyper-skilled but otherwise unintelligent or immature power gamer. The one who hacks, cheats or just plain spends WAY too much of their life on said game can still hack off people who are just trying to enjoy themselves or have some healthy competition. This kid will scream in the mic and be petulant and mock you the entire time he's reaming you, but you know that you could run circles around the person in loads of other things intellectually.

That's Caliborn, and Hussie is like us: wishing he would become better or more mature, enjoying his(our) advanced intelligence/station in life in reflection to talking to Caliborn, making Caliborn's life as hard as possible and mocking him all the way.

I hope this intermission keeps on just so I can read Hussie run circles around this kind of mindset.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I wonder what Gamzee's next gift is. The creepy sarcophagus? The Cairo Overcoat?

... Babby's First Codpiece?

Either way, i'm sure Caliborn will return his generosity. :haw:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Gnome de plume posted:

At this point I can't see Caliborn shooting Gamzeee again as ever being a thing that not happens. It's like punctuation.

I dunno I think Caliborn might abstain just to avoid the elevator music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

The worst character in Homestuck should really refrain from shooting the best character in Homestuck.