Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Puddin posted:

Just because there is a post button, doesn't always mean you should use it.

Anyway, just traded in some vita games as EB are doing an extra 40% on trades towards the Wii U, traded in 3 games for more than I paid for them.

I'm actually starting to get a little excited now.

Does anyone know if that Aliens : Colonial Marines collectors edition that's on ps3/360 will be coming to Wii U?

According to the INTERNET, it is, but there is no release date yet, so its will be 'eventually'. :v: But hey, proper motion detector make the game worth the wait to play on WiiU am I right? (yes, I am.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

axeil posted:

The miiverse really needs an unfollow post button. I yeahed! A post a while ago and it's now blown up and my feed is filled with (random person) also yeahed!/commented on (random person's) post.

I wanna know what you guys are doing not other random WiiU people :smith:

Yea I thought the activity feed in miiverse would be some sort of friend filter.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Its gotta show more 'yeah!'ed posts more often. I refuse to believe a random sampling of WiiU users is as awesome as my Miiverse feed.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Decided to get a deluxe tonight. It was a major hassle to connect to my router. I had to change WPA2 to WPA before it finally accepted. I haven't played anything yet (updating) but the fact that I can use the controller as TV remote impresses me way more then it should.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Curious what the streaming capabilities of this thing will be once Nintendo finishes making them. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a Zotac AD10 box to run xbmc on for the living room, but if the wii can stream over bluray rips and have a decent looking presentation, maybe i wont bother.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

Its gotta show more 'yeah!'ed posts more often. I refuse to believe a random sampling of WiiU users is as awesome as my Miiverse feed.

Yeah, it has to be something like that. While I'd prefer an option to shut it off completely it also is not nearly as awful as I'd expect from randomness.

I tried to shut it off using parental controls but that just meant I got a constant stream of Nintendo advertisements instead of the usual constant stream of nonsense.

Zortzico
Jul 3, 2007

We're Just Running In The 90's
On the gamepad there's a sensor strip which acts like a sensor bar, can I actually use it as a screen when playing in Wii mode, and if so: how the hell do you do it?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Puddin posted:

Big blob of blu-tack should do the trick. It's how my Kinect is sitting on the top of my tv.

It kinda looks like this.

code:
    ________
   /        \
  |_________|   <----Kinect
     __       <--- blu-tack in here
   _|  |___
  |        | <---- top of TV

I followed your diagram exactly and now I have a sensor bar with some blu-tack on top that falls off my TV. A little help here? I don't understand how this is supposed to work.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Zortzico posted:

On the gamepad there's a sensor strip which acts like a sensor bar, can I actually use it as a screen when playing in Wii mode, and if so: how the hell do you do it?

No.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

What.

I believe hes talking about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTLRdP9oOfw

edit: ehh nm. Didnt read the wii mode thing.

Zortzico
Jul 3, 2007

We're Just Running In The 90's
Ahh, thanks anyways.

As far as things go, I just did some menu exploration and for those of us who are getting screen cutoff on the edges of the TV, I believe I may have found the fix.

In the MiiVerse, go into your User Menu and then the bottom option "Settings/Other" then into "Miiverse Settings". At the very bottom of the page is an option for screen size. Click, set up and it will take you to a screen with 4 arrows in the corners that will allow you to scale it back to fit your screen.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So browsing the forums works surprisingly well on the gamepad, but typing is another story. It's neat being able to swiftly navigate threads with both of the control sticks.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Does the browser support USB keyboards?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Fallom posted:

I followed your diagram exactly and now I have a sensor bar with some blu-tack on top that falls off my TV. A little help here? I don't understand how this is supposed to work.

Like I used a huge blob of bit to fill on the gap between the gap at the back of the TV and the kinect.

I wouldn't think you'd need a lot for the Wii sensor bar. Maybe have a look at one of those Kinect/PS eye stands that support them on the top of TVs.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
How do you search for and download pre-made Miis? I remember my brother had a whole army of cartoon characters and stuff that he downloaded on his old Wii. Some searching mentions a "Check Mii Out" channel accessed via Wii mode, but I checked the Wii Shop and couldn't find anything like that.

Oh and thanks for the sensor bar tips everybody!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Ok what the gently caress I'm playing Ninja Gaiden and on the second level in a small enclosed area that looks like a bar there's a rocket launcher enemy that CANNOT BE TARGETED. No matter where I jump from or where I attack him Ryu refuses to hit him with an arrow. It's the last enemy I need to kill before moving on. What the gently caress is going on?
Asked on Miiverse yet? Could even include a screenshot to show exactly what you're talking about! It's exactly like the type of thing Miiverse is (theoretically) good for...or would be better for if you could filter down to the people with the "played the game" checkboxes.

skywalker6705 posted:

Don't wanna stress this too much, but you really need to remember that the PS3 is 6 years old. The Wii U is a week old running the same software. It should be running some measure better on this no matter how you look at it. Doesn't have to be 60fps, but it really shouldn't be compared to a 6 year old system on performance issues.
On the other hand it's different hardware with a different (possibly immature) software platform, plus by most accounts devs were given a short development cycle to work with. It definitely should be better considering the age but there's some hurdles to it, particularly since the hardware probably isn't super powerful enough to just mask early software issues.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think I will be trading ZombiU tomorrow. I am sorry, I appreciate the ideas (Roguelike elements, Gamepad as a gameplay and story device, actual survival horror, as opposed to being an action game dressed up as survival horror), and is well made for the most part, but I do not think it is for me.

I will say that the melee combat is dull as dishwater. I mean, I am not asking it for to be Dead Island (Really, the combat system was the best part of that miserable game) or Dead Rising, but a little variety would have helped.

Anyways, other than that race bug that everyone knows how to bypass, is there anything that should keep me from getting the WiiU version of Sonic Racing?

P.S. Holy poo poo Nintendo Land is fun.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Nov 24, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It doesn't have online voice chat on Wii U, if that's something you really need.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It doesn't have online voice chat on Wii U, if that's something you really need.

Honestly? I never use voice chat in video game unless it is something that REALLY needs it, like teambased games.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

japtor posted:

On the other hand it's different hardware with a different (possibly immature) software platform, plus by most accounts devs were given a short development cycle to work with. It definitely should be better considering the age but there's some hurdles to it, particularly since the hardware probably isn't super powerful enough to just mask early software issues.

Developers have said the hardware is conventional enough to easily target but that bits of it are underpowered. Next year's cross platform games will in all likelihood be better quality, with perhaps an occasional missing technical feature. Seeing Arkham City was the biggest disappointment for me, since I love that game and was hoping for an ultimate version.

shadowobsessed
Jul 1, 2010

No worms on the bed!
So... today I was playing NSMBU and was in the water zone after the desert. Once I got to a level or two past the haunted ship, after I cleared the level my gamepad screen and TV went black. D: I was able to reset the system and it booted up just fine, but that still really scared me. I was afraid that it bricked on its own or something.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

So there's pretty much zero chance of buying a U before Christmas, huh? Even Amazon doesn't have any.

Can I just drive to Nintendo in Redmond and buy one there?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

LividLiquid posted:

So there's pretty much zero chance of buying a U before Christmas, huh? Even Amazon doesn't have any.

I got mine recently at Fry's. Do you have one near you?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

LividLiquid posted:

Stores are supposed to be replenishing stock at a faster rate than they did with the Wii at least.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Toady posted:

Developers have said the hardware is conventional enough to easily target but that bits of it are underpowered. Next year's cross platform games will in all likelihood be better quality, with perhaps an occasional missing technical feature. Seeing Arkham City was the biggest disappointment for me, since I love that game and was hoping for an ultimate version.

Why is the pc version not the ultimate?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Unlucky7 posted:

I got mine recently at Fry's. Do you have one near you?
About an hour out. I called. No dice. I've never bought a console at launch aside from the N64, which I got by walking into a Toys R Us and asking for one. I heard it was bad now, but drat.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Why in gods name would you think a version with needless gimmicky gameplay additions and terrible 'Armored' costumes could be the 'ultimate' version?

I was vaguely interested in the Wii U version until I saw the stupid motion controls for the RC Batarang, the pointless 'rage mode' they added to the combat and those loving awful costumes.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Veotax posted:

Why in gods name would you think a version with needless gimmicky gameplay additions and terrible 'Armored' costumes could be the 'ultimate' version?

I was vaguely interested in the Wii U version until I saw the stupid motion controls for the RC Batarang, the pointless 'rage mode' they added to the combat and those loving awful costumes.

All those things are optional though, right? Besides it was supposed to have graphical improvements over the other console versions.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LividLiquid posted:

About an hour out. I called. No dice. I've never bought a console at launch aside from the N64, which I got by walking into a Toys R Us and asking for one. I heard it was bad now, but drat.

Don't forget it's Black Friday. That probably depleted the backlog of stock a bit everywhere.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

AngryCaterpillar posted:

All those things are optional though, right? Besides it was supposed to have graphical improvements over the other console versions.

Maybe the Batarang thing is optional, I don't know and I guess that you could just ignore the B.A.T mode.

But the armored cotumes they force on you are still terrible.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I went to buy Dance central 3 for my wife yesterday and they had WiiUs in stock at my local Gamestop. Check around, you may be surprised these aren't as hard to find as you think. Which I'm glad of, console flippers are gonna be screwed.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

I've seen the 8GB consoles sitting around at nearly every store I've been to in the last week. Premiums are the ones that are scarce.

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE
I've tried drat near everything I can think of to get my Wii U to download this update without it failing; at this point I'm hoping its some problem on Nintendo's end and it will work tomorrow :ohdear:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Where should I look around for some normal Wii-motes nowadays? I'm fairly sure I'll be getting one o these for Christmas an want to make sure I have enough controllers for stuff like Nintendoland on day one.

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

EC posted:

Where should I look around for some normal Wii-motes nowadays? I'm fairly sure I'll be getting one o these for Christmas an want to make sure I have enough controllers for stuff like Nintendoland on day one.

Regular retailers should still have them, they have WiiU branding on the box but are still normal Wii-compatible remotes/nunchucks

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

My WiiU did the crash-beeping thing again, twice in a row. Do we have any updates from Nintendo on a possible fix?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Anatidaephobia posted:

Regular retailers should still have them, they have WiiU branding on the box but are still normal Wii-compatible remotes/nunchucks

Any good deals I should watch out for, or are they all the same standard price.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

EC posted:

Any good deals I should watch out for, or are they all the same standard price.

(This should be in the OP)Flingsmash is on clearance at toys r us. Either using TRU online's additional 20% off clearance items (don't know if this is still active) or the brick and mortar's b1g1 40% off (online has this too, but would only let me put in one copy of flingsmash per order) the price should be $20 + tax. You can choose pick up at store for online orders if you only want one wiimote or something.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Nov 24, 2012

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Robolizard! posted:

(This should be in the OP)Flingsmash is on clearance at toys r us. Either using TRU online's additional 20% off clearance items (don't know if this is still active) or the brick and mortar's b1g1 40% off (online has this too, but would only let me put in one copy of flingsmash per order) the price should be $20 + tax. You can choose pick up at store for online orders if you only want one wiimote or something.

Sweet, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I love Miiverse, but I always feel really bad when someone sends me a friend request after I answer their question. Sorry bro, I'm just trying to be a helpful dude, I don't really want to be your friend. :(

• Locked thread