Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
Sweet, I just tried swiping/flowing out on the 4.2 keyboard. I totally forgot about it and I totally dig it. Had to turn off the floating preview thing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
PowerAmp with the ICS skin from the market is sexy as hell.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
Can anybody recommend me a good video player for Android that can play video files sped up without distorting the sound or changing the pitch? GOM Player can do this on Windows (up to 4x sped up, but even just 2x would be sufficient for my needs) but it doesn't seem to be available for Android, so I'm looking for an alternative.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

MrC posted:

Android Pro Widgets seems to be everyone's favorite.

Had those one my old phone. They just seemed prone to crashing and taking the launcher with them.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Joramun posted:

Can anybody recommend me a good video player for Android that can play video files sped up without distorting the sound or changing the pitch? GOM Player can do this on Windows (up to 4x sped up, but even just 2x would be sufficient for my needs) but it doesn't seem to be available for Android, so I'm looking for an alternative.

DICE Player does this, although 2x is a bit hard to understand - I guess it depends what you're listening to though. It'll do background play and a popup window too, if those are any use for your nefarious activities

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
Is presto worth buying? I picked up beyond pod and it says I need it to play podcasts at higher speeds. Does it do something more then just playing it faster? Seems weird that's not an included option within beyond pod.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

UnquietDream posted:

Anyone got a good music player recommendation? I'm having real problems getting Play Music not to shuffle things, if I wanted to play the Wicked soundtrack out of order I would have told it to but even though its in the right order on the list as soon as I click either the album to play or an individual song the whole thing gets put in a new random arrangement and no amount of messing around will fix it. This got me rather annoyed on the walk back from work.

Poweramp is the answer to pretty much every music player question.

Alternatively, Apollo may be worth a shot.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
Is there a way to view the Bluetooth sound quality settings? I recently set up a new headunit in my car and have been using the bluetooth music streaming. However, if I can improve the sound quality in any way, I would like to.

Cursory research has not brought up much info besides the audio.conf file, which I cannot access despite having root.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
I'd like a recommendation for a VPN client that will allow me to use services and apps that are restricted to the US or other regions (also to update Android versions, dammit). What's the best available?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Nask26 posted:

Is presto worth buying? I picked up beyond pod and it says I need it to play podcasts at higher speeds. Does it do something more then just playing it faster? Seems weird that's not an included option within beyond pod.

It just plays faster. I recall somebody once explaining that the algorithm for speeding up audio while making it understandable is complicated so audio apps all rely on Presto for it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I'm having a weird bug with Gensoid (my sega genesis emulator). I can only play it once without rebooting the phone. If I try to open a game in it after already having opened it once, the application freezes. Force stopping it doesn't clear it up, only a full reboot of the phone. Where do I start troubleshooting, or is there an alternative emulator?

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007
I'm looking for a music control app that I'm not sure actually exists. I want to find something that will let me voice control (at least just play/pause, next, and previous) any music app, possibly something that emulates headset commands. There are standalone music players that let you voice control them, but all of my music is in the cloud so that doesn't really work. I've found a few apps that almost meet my requirements, except they make you push a button before speaking, which kind of defeats the purpose. I need something that's either always listening or has an activation phrase.

Does anyone know of something like that? I just want to set my phone up and listen to things while I cook :(

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
FYI, the Time Warner Cable mobile app:

-Requires you disable USB debugging mode (why?)
-Pops up a message saying Live TV doesn't work on rooted devices (wtf?!)

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

the posted:

What a surprise, another turd coming from TWC.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Debugging and root, that's like hacking right!? Someone might try to record TV shows off the lovely rear end stream instead of using the dvr box. :v:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

the posted:

You could in theory record and redistribute the material streamed.

Once again the irrational fear of piracy by media companies makes piracy seem a better option.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005

burnsep posted:

I'd like a recommendation for a VPN client that will allow me to use services and apps that are restricted to the US or other regions (also to update Android versions, dammit). What's the best available?

I've had recommendations for Witopia and Private Internet Access. Anyone have experience with either service, or care to mention another?

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

burnsep posted:

I've had recommendations for Witopia and Private Internet Access. Anyone have experience with either service, or care to mention another?

TunnelBear has been good for me.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

burnsep posted:

I use Private internet access right now and it works great. I had a horrible experience with tunnelbear. I was getting horrible speeds from them, I never got a single response from customer service for about 2 weeks. I ended up having to open a PayPal dispute which they never responded too. I would stay away from them.

kittiesgomeow
Oct 13, 2008

This avatar cost on average $27.
Can anyone recommend an app useful for making lectures? I'd like to be able to record both voice and writing and preferably have an easy way of uploading/exporting them.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Nask26 posted:

Yes, it works well with the podcast players that support it.

Stevie Lee posted:

FYI, the full version unlocker is on sale for 2.49. I haven't used it yet, but figured it had so many rave reviews, why not pick it up for that?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Silly Burrito posted:

FYI, the full version unlocker is on sale for 2.49. I haven't used it yet, but figured it had so many rave reviews, why not pick it up for that?

Awesome have been waiting for that for a while.

I realise its kinda stupid quibbling over $2.50 but I still have some weird psychological reluctance to pay full price for mobile apps.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
Is there a good replacement for FoxFi yet?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I got Beautiful Widgets when it was free for a short time and used it for the weather widgets (its now BW lite apparently). Recently it stopped working and after updating to 4.2 I can't seem to add a working location, hell even NYC gives me 'location could not be found'. Is there something I can do to fix this or should I just uninstall it and use something else?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Use BeWeather

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sereri posted:

I got Beautiful Widgets when it was free for a short time and used it for the weather widgets (its now BW lite apparently). Recently it stopped working and after updating to 4.2 I can't seem to add a working location, hell even NYC gives me 'location could not be found'. Is there something I can do to fix this or should I just uninstall it and use something else?
Email the developer. I've never had to wait more than fifteen minutes for a response if it's daytime in Europe.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Anyone have an IRC app they'd like to recommend?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

vulturesrow posted:

Yaaic is okay. Has nick coloring and highlights, is quite easy to setup and also rather ugly.

Personally, I use quassel, but that requires you to have a core running somewhere to connect to.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

vulturesrow posted:

The best one I've found is AndroIRC

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Stevie Lee posted:

Alternatively, Apollo may be worth a shot.

Personally I prefer N7 player.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

Another vote for Yaaic being solid.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Any recommendations on apps focused on saving battery? I have been using juicedefender for a while and I wanted to know what goons think.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

junan_paalla posted:

Any recommendations on apps focused on saving battery? I have been using juicedefender for a while and I wanted to know what goons think.
Most of them are snake oil.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I feel like having something that turns data off when the screen is off would be beneficial for battery life but I really don't know.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

junan_paalla posted:

I feel like having something that turns data off when the screen is off would be beneficial for battery life but I really don't know.

That would also prevent you from getting emails or data-based messages like gTalk (until you turn on your screen anyway).

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Sereri posted:

That would also prevent you from getting emails or data-based messages like gTalk (until you turn on your screen anyway).

Exactly. If you turn data off with the screen then you lose all push-based functionality. There is an option built in to Android to turn WiFi off when the phone is in a sleep state, but personally I've never seen the point in that as all it does is re-route everything over the cell network which can often sap more power than WiFi unless you've got a perfect signal.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
That's why I haven't used stuff like viber, having data on all the time seems to drain the battery faster, especially if the phone isn't being used that much. Am I being an idiot about this or does this actually help?

e: and there's a toggle for checking for mail or whatever every 15/30 minutes or so.

junan_paalla fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Nov 26, 2012

ZombyWoof
Sep 7, 2012
I find with JuiceDefender and the like, it's much more dependent on what apps you are running and how you have them configured. Something like JD probably won't make much of a difference if you keep a tight leash on what is installed and how often stuff syncs.

I don't really bother using JD anymore, Tasker and Locale might be worth looking at if you have some ideas about what you actually want to do, like having profiles for toggling GPS for certain apps/enabling WiFi in certain locations and so on. You want to be careful how often you have these services polling though because your phone won't enter deep sleep if it's polling too often.

And yeah generally 3G uses a lot more power than WiFi does so if you're attempting to save battery I'd argue that could make a fair difference.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, the only thing in JuiceDefender I was tempted to use was the option to have 3G data automatically switch off then toggle on briefly periodically to let everything grab their updates at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Sereri posted:

Seeing as this isn't a big concern for me I still keep JD installed but I'm not exactly sure if it is really helping or not. My usage patterns vary day by day and it's hard to gauge what it's really doing. I do like to think that having the screen off shuts down 3G and wifi and leaves the regular cell radio on to receive calls and texts but I'm not sure if this is by Android's design by default.

• Locked thread