Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

The whole Petraeus scandal is dying down which make this a little dated, but today being Thanksgiving brought me back into south Tampa to have dinner with my dad. On the way there from the yacht club, I snapped the following picture of Jill Kelley's home. It's a $1,500,000 house on Bayshore Boulevard, which happens to be the most expensive street on Tampa to live on. It's not, however, the best place to live - that's a little closer to downtown, on Harbour Island. The mayor and a few political types live there, as do the owner and coach of the Buccaneers.

I'm told that she and her husband - he is a surgeon of some sort - have lived there for a few years but haven't made a single mortgage payment since 2010. Somehow they're still in there despite the fact that more than a dozen neighboring homes on Bayshore have been sitting empty for months after being foreclosed on. One of the things this scandal happens to be doing, on a local level here in Tampa, is exposing the weird and hosed up way our little local society operates.

Related fact, I actually happened to talk to a cop stationed outside Kelley's home on Gasparilla (a local Mardi Gras type thing with a pirate theme) early this year. At the time I didn't know it was hers, I was just looking for a cop to come arrest this drunken rear end in a top hat that was groping underage girls along the parade route near where my group of friends were. I got into an argument with a cop outside her house because he said he was under orders to stay there and protect the house. I was pissed because I saw this as the city placing a higher priority on the protection of property than on the protection of its citizens.

As it turns out, no, not so much. He didn't explain why, but it turns out that the reason Kelley's house had protection from the police department was because she was hosting David Petraeus for the celebration and someone somewhere decided he needed to be more heavily protected. So, yeah. That's a thing that happened. For the record my father is friends with Admiral McRaven and they've socialized numerous times off-base and never needed police protection, so, what the hell.

This whole goddamn thing is like a stupid loving soap opera. I can't loving believe that these stupid pricks have the goddamned free time to party with stupid loving Bayshore housewives instead of, you know, running the loving war.

Chantilly Say posted:

Daniel Inouye, senior Senator from Hawaii, WWII veteran, and Medal of Honor recipient.
Inouye is pretty awesome. Also, he's not just the senior senator from Hawaii, but is in fact the most senior member of the senate - plus if he runs one more time he'll set a record for most terms anyone has ever served. Fun fact; when he was sworn in to the House, there was a bit of an odd mixup with him taking the oath because the Speaker asked him to place his right hand on the bible. Yeah, sorry, he doesn't have one.

Keshik fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice

Found this one smack-dab in the middle of my Twitter feed for no apparent reason.
(other than that it's apparently got a paid promotion spot)

Pappyland fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 23, 2012

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

War on Terror! ~1965-ongoing

I was showing my parents how to use the scanner I gave them a while back, and my dad has hundreds of Kodachrome slides he took in 64-66 over there. Some of em are pretty cool. I'm going back home in the morning, but next time I'm here at their place, I'll go through what he's scanned in and pick out the cool ones.

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 23, 2012

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

ReidRansom posted:

War on Terror! ~1965-ongoing

I was showing my parents how to use the scanner I gave them a while back, and my dad has hundreds of Kodachrome slides he took in 64-66 over there. Some of em are pretty cool. I'm going back home in the morning, but next time I'm here at their place, I'll go through what he's scanned in and pick out the cool ones.

drat I used to have the premium saltine crackers tin in my kitchen growing up.

The prominent military-political analyst Yoram Peri wrote with disgust that the army’s task is not to defend the state, but “to demolish the rights of innocent people just because they are Araboushim (“niggers,” “kikes”) living in territories that God promised to us.”

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Edit: The link is now working fine for me. Man, I love me some Noam.

As it is my first time posting in here (though I've been lurking and loving it a ton), I don't want to do it wrong, so here is some content:

This is a video from Al Jazeera (English) featuring one of my favorite critics of Israel, Rabbi Yisrael Dovid Weiss, explaining some talking points of a while back, but more importantly, the evils of Zionist imperialism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUppu2OHVTY

Again, hope I'm posting correctly. I'm unsure if this has been posted before, as I haven't been able to go through every single link.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Nov 23, 2012

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lee Atwater with George Bush in 1988. Aside from being commonly associated with his famous southern strategy quote, he was also the architect behind some of the most brutal campaigning in history.

He was able to get inside Bob Dole's head in the primaries, which contributed to his loss, and made absolutely despicable accusations about Dukakis in the general, with such ads as these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io9KMSSEZ0Y

Notice the race of the one prisoner who makes eye contact with the camera.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmwhdDv8VrM

Here he is in 1991, shortly before his death. A tumor was able to get inside his head.

Just watched a documentary about his life named "Boogie Man." It's well worth the watch. Supposedly it's on netflix, but I can't confirm that.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1262863/

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Volkerball posted:

Just watched a documentary about his life named "Boogie Man." It's well worth the watch. Supposedly it's on netflix, but I can't confirm that.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1262863/

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Boogie_Man_The_Lee_Atwater_Story/70100713?trkid=2361637

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Improved Nazi-graffiti:

"A friend and I took care of a graffitied swastika in our town the only way we knew how"

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
A day late, but it's never too late for William S. Burroughs to remind us what Thanksgiving is all about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLSveRGmpIE

GirlBones
Jun 10, 2007
I am not very good at the internet
this was posted on bitt tromblie's facebook page. i don't think it would have had any effect on the election but man, posting more lovely pictures like this would have worked wonders in his battle against the BEEP BEEP BOOP narrative.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

GirlBones posted:

this was posted on bitt tromblie's facebook page. i don't think it would have had any effect on the election but man, posting more lovely pictures like this would have worked wonders in his battle against the BEEP BEEP BOOP narrative.

I look at that and all I can think is, "Man, for such a rich guy he sure has a boring kitchen."

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Zeroisanumber posted:

I look at that and all I can think is, "Man, for such a rich guy he sure has a boring kitchen."

thats just the kitchen in the master bathroom.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Eleanor Roosevelt with Soong Mei Ling, China's first lady at the time. Eleanor had this to say after their meeting:

“She can talk beautifully about democracy. But she does not know how to live democracy.”

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

"The demands of wartime production enabled Chinese Americans to move into the American workforce in large numbers. For the first time Chinese American women took on jobs as welders, riveters, burners and flangers."

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

:freep:

Houston Euler
Nov 5, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Well, this doesn't look good

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

School in Gaza

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 24, 2012

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Here's a bit of fine, white salt to sample

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Nope, we won't. We really, really never needed "you" white males.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE2eWlHEPwI

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Here's a picture of the muslim ethnic group she's ignoring as they slowly die of starvation, disease and poverty and quickly when buddhist extremists try to kill them. :)

God drat it. :(

AlltheFederalesSay.
May 10, 2008
http://youtu.be/yX46rPmXO4U

I don't think this has been posted yet.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

The online version of the Austrian newspaper "Der Standard" did a great short piece about ethnic/nationalistic graffiti in Vienna recently: http://dastandard.at/1350260581640/Kanak-go-home-trifft-kroatisches-Hakenkreuz?_slideNumber=1&_seite= I'll repost it here and translate/summarise the texts.

All of the following graffiti were found in Vienna within a radius of only 300 metres.

This is the so-called "Serbian Cross", a cross with four C's (C=S in the Cyrillic alphabet). The letters stand for "samo sloga Srbina spašava", meaning "only unity will save the Serbs". The sign goes back to at least the 15th century.

Today the cross is associated with Serbian ethnicity as well as with the Chetniks, a WWII militia that fought for "Greater Serbia", collaborated with the Nazis and was known for mass murder of civilians. While they were banned under Tito, their memory was revived in the 90s and today the surviving Chetniks are regarded as war veterans by the Serbian state.
Although the Serbian Cross is clearly associated with nationalistic and fascist ideology (it could be found in the badge of the special forces unit "Skorpije" as well, which did participate in the 1995 massacre of Srebrenica), it is still seen by many as "just" a symbol of Serbia which has been misused.

Not so with this graffito - the "Croatian swastika", a U with a cross in it. This was the official symbol of the Ustaša, a fascist movement that controlled Croatia (and Bosnia-Herzegovina) from 1941 to 1945 as a puppet state of the Nazis. The cross stands for the closeness to the Catholic Church, as the Ustaša-controlled state was a typical example of clerical fascism.

Ustaša-Croatia introduced race legislation modelled after the Nazis and maintained concentration camps as well, where many thousands of Serbs, Jews and Roma were murdered. The Ustaša symbol is officially banned in Croatia, but can still be seen on concerts of right-wing bands or memorial services for veterans.

A "graffiti war" in action - on the ground in red you can see the Cyrillic Делије (Delije), a fan club of the Serbian football club Red Star Belgrade, comblete with the Serbian Cross. "Torcida" was sprayed over it, the name of the largest and oldest fan club of the Croatian club Hajduk Split, together with the Ustaša symbol.

Moving on to Turkish nationalistic symbols, we find the three crescents of the Turkish "Party of the national movement" (MHP) which in turn borrowed them from the Ottoman war flag. The members of the MHP are also known as "Grey Wolves" and are notorious for their ultra-nationalism, rascism, antisemitism and emphasis of the Islamic nature of Turkey ("Islam is our soul, Turkey our body"). The best known member probably is Mehmet Ali Ağca, who tried and failed to assassinate Pope John Paul II in 1981. Who exactly did pull the strings then is still unclear.

Türkei=Turkey in German

In its annual report, the German Office for the Protection of the Constitution (basically its MI5) remarks upon the "alarmingly great appeal" the Grey Wolves seem to have among Turkish migrants and expatriates, with 10,000 known members in Germany alone and many more in associations and clubs close to the MHP.

UÇK stands for the Kosovar "liberation army" that existed from 1994 to 1999 and is continued by various successor organisations up to today. The UÇK was a paramilitary unit fighting for an independent Kosovo; parts of it also fought for "Greater Albania" as well. In 1998, KFOR estimated the UÇK to have about 15,000 members. It participated in illegal organ trade, contract killings and other crimes. From 1996 to the beginning of 1998, the UÇK claimed responsibility for 21 murders.

The double-headed eagle is still part of the Albanian flag and comes from the seal of Gjergj Kastriot Skanderbeg, an Albanian national hero that led Albania in a rebellion against Ottoman occupation in the 15th century. At the end of the 19th century it grew highly popular again, together with and as a symbol of Albanian nationalism. The "KS" in the middle stands for Kosovo - since at least 1943, Albanian nationalists want to incorporate the Kosovo into an ethnically cleansed "Greater Albania".

And finally: "Kanak go home!" The Kanaks originally are the inhabitants of New Caledonia in the Southern Pacific (cf. Hawaiian kanaka, "human"), but in the German language their name has turned into a derogatory term for immigrants from southern countries in general. This specific example is a variation of "Ami go home!", which in turn used to be the slogan of the European pacifist and leftist/communist movements in their protests against US-American military presence in Europe.
In no other European country, as many people say they don't want to have immigrants as neighbours as in Austria.

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Nov 24, 2012

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Assorted propaganda:

"One fight, one will, one goal - Victory at any price"

This one is extra awesome to me. It's nazi propaganda to get Dutchmen to collaborate and fight against our old enemy the English. Remember what dicks they were to us in the third Anglo-Dutch war? :argh:
"The same enemy every time! Fight with us!"

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Here, have a last bit of post-election schadenfreude.

Posted on a Facebook friend's wall with "It seemed like they had a lot of these they wanted to get rid of."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

System Metternich posted:

Not so with this graffito - the "Croatian swastika", a U with a cross in it. This was the official symbol of the Ustaša, a fascist movement that controlled Croatia (and Bosnia-Herzegovina) from 1941 to 1945 as a puppet state of the Nazis. The cross stands for the closeness to the Catholic Church, as the Ustaša-controlled state was a typical example of clerical fascism.

Ustaša-Croatia introduced race legislation modelled after the Nazis and maintained concentration camps as well, where many thousands of Serbs, Jews and Roma were murdered. The Ustaša symbol is officially banned in Croatia, but can still be seen on concerts of right-wing bands or memorial services for veterans.

Hell, why stop there? Not content with just ethnic cleansing and concentration camps, the Ustaša gained notoriety even within the ranks of Nazi collaborators by establishing their own extermination center at Jasenovac. It was the only full-on death camp not run by the Nazis, and targeted ethnic Serbs primarily, with Jews and other undesirables as secondary victims:

At Jasenovac, killings were performed by shootings and later gassings, but also on a much more personal basis as well, as the Ustaša guards apparently had a penchant for throat-slitting, so much so that they invented a more-efficient tool for doing so, the so-called "Serb-cutter" bladed glove:

In total, somewhere between 300k and 800k people were murdered at Jasenovac, particularly in the late-war massacres that took place as Tito's partisans drew close and the guards liquidated all remaining prisoners, throwing so many bodies into the nearby Sava river as to leave it choked with corpses.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
Black Friday in the Twin Cities, Best Buy, Midnight (via Star Tribune):

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

ekuNNN posted:

Assorted propaganda:

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
What's the D&Dest game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY57ErBkFFE

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!
I knew this was going to be the result of the new "Red Dawn".

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

That 70s Shirt posted:

I knew this was going to be the result of the new "Red Dawn".

Who said jingoism was dead?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Crasscrab posted:

Who said jingoism was dead?

No one on this board, or at least no one worth bothering with.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:nws: FEMEN

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

everything you do is a balloon
College Slice
A few days ago this appeared on a hill overlooking Belfast. A good hill

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ekuNNN posted:

Assorted propaganda:

'Well you see, Freedom From is a positive right and those lead to Soviet Tyranny...'

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Duplicant
Nov 1, 2004

Just remember though -- this offer may be revoked at any time.

Neocolonialism: A Game of Global Financial Ruin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObyQkTd0h9w

'...you are role playing as finance capitalists. Your goal is to extract as much money from the world as possible.' (and transfer it to your Swiss bank account)

Angry Avocado
Jun 6, 2010
Looking for two images (+ their source) that used to get posted all the time around here, but I haven't seem them in a while. They're greyscale animations in a vintage style, one showing a woman popping out (literally) a whole bunch of kids, the other a bunch of people dancing in a room while everything outside gets bombed to poo poo.

To contribute:

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Reminds me of a scene in the Malcolm X movie.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Angry Avocado posted:

Looking for two images (+ their source) that used to get posted all the time around here, but I haven't seem them in a while. They're greyscale animations in a vintage style, one showing a woman popping out (literally) a whole bunch of kids, the other a bunch of people dancing in a room while everything outside gets bombed to poo poo.

To contribute:

Is this what you're thinking of?

From the Fallout 3 trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYZpR51XgW0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberbully
Feb 10, 2003

Speaking of, saw this in a truck stop bathroom in Luling, Texas today.

• Locked thread