Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011
I kind of regret not waiting the two months to get these Black Friday Deals. I guess it will be a lesson for me in the future; wait until December. However, the S3 is such a nice phone that it makes up for it.

Does anyone have a backup batter for their S3? If so, what brand? I'm currently looking at Anker and Qcell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Allaniis posted:

I kind of regret not waiting the two months to get these Black Friday Deals. I guess it will be a lesson for me in the future; wait until December. However, the S3 is such a nice phone that it makes up for it.

Does anyone have a backup batter for their S3? If so, what brand? I'm currently looking at Anker and Qcell.

I haven't thought about getting a backup battery yet but instead I got this portable charger: http://www.amazon.com/PowerGen-Exte...e+phone+charger

My friend has one and loves it. Says he gets two full charges on his iPhone out of one charge from the charger. It's small enough that he carries it around in his pocket or at least has it in his car with him.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
I went with the Anker branded (but it looks identical to this) 8400mAh one of these; it's only $10 more (and is admittedly a brick) but comes with way more charge.

http://www.amazon.com/PowerGen-Exte...oductPromotions

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

brc64 posted:

Is there a way to get the free Galaxy Nexus extended battery? It looks like the promotion is still on the website, but only when you purchase the phone and battery together. My wife already has the phone, and has had it for several months.

Yes. You have to call telesales specifically, regular customer service wouldn't do it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ryanbruce posted:

I went with the Anker branded (but it looks identical to this) 8400mAh one of these; it's only $10 more (and is admittedly a brick) but comes with way more charge.

http://www.amazon.com/PowerGen-Exte...oductPromotions

To add to this, mono price has a 5000MaH one one for about $30-40, I've been using it and its overall great. Not as much of a charge, but it fits anywhere. It uses micro USB, which overall is great since its easy to find a charger, only downside is it takes forever to fully charge.

beamrider
Sep 22, 2000
Posting "This needs much more love" IS BANNABLE
Oh, this could suck. Called to see if they would bump my wife's upgrade date (Jan 1 2013) up, so we could get a pair of s3's, instead of just getting one on my upgrade (Mar 1 2012). The lady dug around, said the Mar 1 upgrade date wasn't right at all, they should BOTH be Jan 1..........Then I got disco'd.

So could be interesting tomorrow when I go in to get the phone I reserved yesterday..lol

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
So I jumped on the black friday deal today and am loving the S3. Debating how soon to root/install CM10.

Other than that, if I install google voice, do I need to worry about their "pay to have your voicemail transcribed" feature?

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
Waited too long and everywhere in the Portland Metro is out of the S3.. :(

Guess it's time to call retentions..

ryanbruce fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 24, 2012

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
For some reason since I got the S3 set up, I'm not getting texts through Google Voice, in app or in the web app. Any ideas?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

MindlessHavok posted:

For some reason since I got the S3 set up, I'm not getting texts through Google Voice, in app or in the web app. Any ideas?

This might have everything or nothing to do with your problem, but I had all sorts of weird behavior from GVoice after activating an iPhone at the beginning of this week. I ended up disabling the integration (in the GVoice Settings it should have a Disable link next to your number at the top of the Phones tab), waiting a half hour, and re-enabling it. All is well again. This is of course assuming you're using the Sprint Integration in the first place.

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Other than that, if I install google voice, do I need to worry about their "pay to have your voicemail transcribed" feature?

What is this you're talking about? My voice mails are transcribed (usually poorly) for free?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
[quote="sirbeefalot"

What is this you're talking about? My voice mails are transcribed (usually poorly) for free?
[/quote]

The sprint voicemail app offers voice to text transcriptions for I think $2.99 a month. My favorite is now a days I'm pretty people are auto enrolled in a 30 day trial, and it seems really easy to not realize you accept the monthly fee once it ends and it asks if you want to continue. I had that a lot, and personal part of my setup process for people was unenrolling from that bullshit.

It has nothing to do with the google voice app, so no one would not get charged for using google voice.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
Okay, new problem. The screen on my Evo Shift is no longer responding to touch, on top of the earpiece speaker dying a couple days ago. I have a Galaxy S3 on order, but I won't get it until next week. Is there any way I could get a cheap dumbphone just so I can make phone calls and send text messages for a few days and then keep as a backup in case this happens again? I'd rather not try to pay for repairs on a 2 year old phone I'm not going to be using for more than 4 or 5 days. For reference, I'm on SERO Premium.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
Finally made it through to Telesales and riiiiight before she submitted the order we were disconnected :smith:

10-12 redials later, we got back in queue for a 16 minute adventure on hold.

My order went through, but my friend's plan is so old that they weren't able to get him a phone without completely changing his plan.. He's on the "Fair and Flexible Plan" for $30 + $8 500 sms addon. They said he'd have to go up to a plan that would end up costing him $70 before taxes per month, which is nearly double.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do? He's willing to pay $10 more for the Premium Data package making his plan ~$50, but $20 for nothing seems a bit lovely.

Got through to Sprint SERO customer support, she set him up with SERO 500 ($40 + $10 data), then she transferred me to telesales. Total call time so far: 2.5hrs.

Reached Telesales! That was another hour on hold before getting through. Now they're saying it's $200 for the SIII.

ryanbruce fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 24, 2012

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011
Thanks for the advice. I think the portable charger is the way to go then. I think with the small Anker one, since I don't want to carry a huge brick and it has a slightly longer warranty than the Powergen.

Do they charge through USB or through their own wall adapters?

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Allaniis posted:

Thanks for the advice. I think the portable charger is the way to go then. I think with the small Anker one, since I don't want to carry a huge brick and it has a slightly longer warranty than the Powergen.

Do they charge through USB or through their own wall adapters?

They charge via USB, but if you want it to charge within your lifetime you'll want a USB wall charger; I never bothered checking its max draw but I've got it hooked up to an adapter capable of 2.1 amps.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
What near-stock rom is everyone running on their Evo 3D since Mean rom died? It's decent but definitely has some quirky behavior now and then.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

blargle posted:

What near-stock rom is everyone running on their Evo 3D since Mean rom died? It's decent but definitely has some quirky behavior now and then.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1951101

This seems to be pretty popular on XDA, never ran it myself though. Make the jump to CM10, you won't regret it.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Thanks, CM10 looks interesting but it doesn't work with HBOOT 1.58 which is what I have apparently.

iceslice
May 20, 2005
I've got an EVO LTE on Sprint and every day when I drive to work I see a sign for AT&T that says "4G IS HERE!" It makes me want to find the nearest Sprint rep and shake them violently. The only info I've seen form my area is "Before 2013." Part of me wants to take the ETF, sell my phone to recoup costs, and get a GSIII on AT&T instead.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

iceslice posted:

I've got an EVO LTE on Sprint and every day when I drive to work I see a sign for AT&T that says "4G IS HERE!" It makes me want to find the nearest Sprint rep and shake them violently. The only info I've seen form my area is "Before 2013." Part of me wants to take the ETF, sell my phone to recoup costs, and get a GSIII on AT&T instead.

If you use too much roaming data, Sprint will cancel your contract and nix your ETF (because its them breaking the contract and not you since they say unlimited roaming) so you really shouldn't use something like Roam Control, which purports to work for HTC phones without root and can force roaming. You wouldn't want to do that.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
I was told when trying to activate an unlocked iphone 4s on sprint, that they only allow sprint-branded iphones to be used on their network. What bullshit exactly is this? All iphone hardware is the same, and apparently all I am left holding is an ipod touch, worthless until my contract is up and I switch carriers?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

mr. nazi posted:

I was told when trying to activate an unlocked iphone 4s on sprint, that they only allow sprint-branded iphones to be used on their network. What bullshit exactly is this? All iphone hardware is the same, and apparently all I am left holding is an ipod touch, worthless until my contract is up and I switch carriers?

This is the US cellular market. There are very few models that actually have the capability to function on multiple carriers in the US, and that still doesn't matter because the carriers just won't activate it unless its already in their system.

Try to trade it with someone for a Sprint 4S I guess?

iceslice
May 20, 2005

The Entire Universe posted:

If you use too much roaming data, Sprint will cancel your contract and nix your ETF (because its them breaking the contract and not you since they say unlimited roaming) so you really shouldn't use something like Roam Control, which purports to work for HTC phones without root and can force roaming. You wouldn't want to do that.

If Sprint doesn't show some improvements soon I won't do this. Thanks.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

blargle posted:

Thanks, CM10 looks interesting but it doesn't work with HBOOT 1.58 which is what I have apparently.

It's easy to downgrade. See here: http://unlimited.io/juopunutbear.htm

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

mr. nazi posted:

The issue with this is that all iphone hardware isn't the same. Try googling "iphone 4s frequencies" so you can learn which branded iphones support which frequencies on which technologies, then match that to what frequencies and technologies Sprint uses.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="409890133"]
The issue with this is that all iphone hardware isn't the same. Try googling "iphone 4s frequencies" so you can learn which branded iphones support which frequencies on which technologies, then match that to what frequencies and technologies Sprint uses.

quote:

As a result of an upgraded radio chip inside the phone, in addition to being a world phone, so both CDMA and GSM customers can roam internationally on GSM networks.[37] It also supports Bluetooth 4.0. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_4s#Hardware

quote:

A new addition has been the quad-band phone, also known as a world phone, supporting all four major GSM bands, allowing for global use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_phone#Multi-band_and_multi-mode_phones

Officially confused and frustrated as a consumer. I'm reading this as an iphone4s should be able to work anywhere globally without issues related to hardware.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

iceslice posted:

If Sprint doesn't show some improvements soon I won't do this. Thanks.

I got fed up and emailed dan@sprint.com and after a very pleasant conversation and investigation by them to ensure I wasn't lying they let me out of my contract (just re-upped in July). Being a customer in good standing for over a decade might have helped though.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Apparently the Nexus 4 is also capable of CDMA/LTE, but Sprint will likely never activate one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXOY9EVZ4vA

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mr. nazi posted:

Officially confused and frustrated as a consumer. I'm reading this as an iphone4s should be able to work anywhere globally without issues related to hardware.

Sorry man, but just because its global doesn't mean a carrier has to take it. Sprint and Verizon both use CDMA, and the big downside to that is that they get complete control over what gets activated on the network. Policy on both carriers is official branded phones only (so only sprint for sprint, Verizon for Verizon), and there is no wiggle room, and no they are mandated by any laws not to make an exception. Honestly, learn your lesson to research a little more, sell the phone and use the money to buy a sprint branded one. Or leave sprint and go to a GSM carrier like AT&T or tmobile.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

mr. nazi posted:

You know Sprint isn't GSM, right?

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Yeah lesson learned I guess thanks.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SamDabbers posted:

Apparently the Nexus 4 is also capable of CDMA/LTE, but Sprint will likely never activate one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXOY9EVZ4vA

Only works on Canadian bands. I don't think it's CDMA either, just LTE.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Lovie Unsmith posted:

You know Sprint isn't GSM, right?

You know that there's only one iPhone 4S that works on both CDMA and GSM, right? The limitation here is imposed by Sprint.

Getimmaaw
Dec 22, 2006
To the people who ordered the GS3 on thanksgiving night, how many of you guys got a south American call center? If you did, you may want to check your order status, as some of them may require further validations with Sprint, to process the order. It requires a phone call to sprint, or wait for them to call you.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Space Gopher posted:

You know that there's only one iPhone 4S that works on both CDMA and GSM, right? The limitation here is imposed by Sprint.
There's some other slight difference there - when you buy one at an Apple store, they have different devices for GSM and CDMA. The GSM ones activate on AT&T, but the CDMA ones apparently ask if you want to activate on Verizon or Sprint.

I actually ran into one that was purchased as a Sprint one from Apple's website, but loaded with the Verizon connection information (somehow Apple tech support pushed out the right info to it over Wifi).

So yes, not activating a non-Sprint iPhone is a Sprint thing, but there are two different flavors of iPhone 4S with some sort of minor difference. One that was sold as GSM will never be CDMA. The CDMA one does still have fully functional GSM for international use, but it doesn't work the other way around.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

FlyingCheese posted:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1951101

This seems to be pretty popular on XDA, never ran it myself though. Make the jump to CM10, you won't regret it.

Does everything work in CM10?

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009

Hdip posted:

3D (camera, apps, video) and 4G usually don't work, as well as a few things like TV-out. Most roms have everything working outside of 3D these days. :shobon:

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Hdip posted:

Everything minus 3D camera and HDMI out. 3D video works but you have to manually turn it on/off using an app from the market. 4G does work, but is finicky. It's actively being worked on though.

Word is it'll be officially supported soon.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 25, 2012

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
The guy who has been releasing CM10 builds for the E3D has gone on hiatus, although you could always build it from source yourself I guess. There are some serious wake lock battery drain issues with it right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Priss In Plate posted:

3D (camera, apps, video) and 4G usually don't work, as well as a few things like TV-out. Most roms have everything working outside of 3D these days. :shobon:

CM10 on the EVO LTE is almost full 100% except a few people gripe about the camera software isn't as good as the Sense one.

Though since the JB sense update isn't out yet, you guys might like it a bit once it drops.