Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Three Pixel
Jun 13, 2003

In space no one can hear your anime stare downs.

EC posted:

Any good deals I should watch out for, or are they all the same standard price.

I ordered 2 refurb wii remote plus from best buy right before the Wii U came out. They don't come with the silicone jacket, but they do have a wrist strap. I thought they looked brand new, and have been working fine. They also only cost 17.99, so if you can't find flingsmash this could be a decent alternative.

http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/tablet/detail.jsp?skuId=2707801&productId=1218346637720&tab=default#overview;

That's the link to black, but they also have the other colors refurbed as well if you need white or blue or pink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Three Pixel posted:

I ordered 2 refurb wii remote plus from best buy right before the Wii U came out. They don't come with the silicone jacket, but they do have a wrist strap. I thought they looked brand new, and have been working fine. They also only cost 17.99, so if you can't find flingsmash this could be a decent alternative.

http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/tablet/detail.jsp?skuId=2707801&productId=1218346637720&tab=default#overview;

That's the link to black, but they also have the other colors refurbed as well if you need white or blue or pink.

Link didn't work for me :(

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...tegories&ks=960

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I picked up a couple copies of Flingsmash at TRU just now. Nice.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
Are they selling gamepad chargers yet? My new kitten mawed mine right below e connector when I was sleeping. I Should have expected it since he was mesmerized by the flopping cord as I played Batman before bed.

Ebenezer
Mar 21, 2007

tehk posted:

Are they selling gamepad chargers yet? My new kitten mawed mine right below e connector when I was sleeping. I Should have expected it since he was mesmerized by the flopping cord as I played Batman before bed.

Amazon has them but if your charging cable is what is ruined you will need to buy that individually since it does not come with one. http://www.amazon.com/Wii-GamePad-Stand-Cradle-Nintendo-U/dp/B009AFLXTS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353772057&sr=8-1

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

Ebenezer posted:

Amazon has them but if your charging cable is what is ruined you will need to buy that individually since it does not come with one. http://www.amazon.com/Wii-GamePad-Stand-Cradle-Nintendo-U/dp/B009AFLXTS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353772057&sr=8-1

I meant the gray long charger for extended gaming not the cradle. I wonder if the cradle cable end is the same, because I can always wire up a new plug. Ralph Wiggum chewed right on the end that connects into the gamepad so I am left with no way to shorten the cord.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I'm finding that friend notification thing every time you press the Home button very annoying... I don't need it in my face to know everyone is online.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.

tehk posted:

I meant the gray long charger for extended gaming not the cradle. I wonder if the cradle cable end is the same, because I can always wire up a new plug. Ralph Wiggum chewed right on the end that connects into the gamepad so I am left with no way to shorten the cord.

Here. Nintendo always sells their accessories and parts on their store starting at launch day.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Veotax posted:

Why in gods name would you think a version with needless gimmicky gameplay additions and terrible 'Armored' costumes could be the 'ultimate' version?

I was vaguely interested in the Wii U version until I saw the stupid motion controls for the RC Batarang, the pointless 'rage mode' they added to the combat and those loving awful costumes.

Ps3 version has motion controlled batarang by default. I guess that makes the game itself poo poo right? The best part about the game was you could use as much or as subtle 'gimmicky' controls that you want.

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!
Loving the Wii U so far. Miiverse has taken more time than I care to admit to. I am rather disappointed I can't play my VC games directly on the tablet though.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Funny how the internet component of Nintendo's new console turns out to be the most engaging thing.
Nintendo is a wildcard, and that's why we love it.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

skywalker6705 posted:

Don't wanna stress this too much, but you really need to remember that the PS3 is 6 years old. The Wii U is a week old running the same software. It should be running some measure better on this no matter how you look at it. Doesn't have to be 60fps, but it really shouldn't be compared to a 6 year old system on performance issues.

Yes the PS3 is a 6 year old system... that people have been developing for that whole time, so they know exactly how to squeeze every last drop of performance out of it. They know its exact capabilities and the games that are coming out now look way better than the first games to come out for PS3/360. Give the Wii U devs some time to get to know the hardware.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Rikimaru posted:

Loving the Wii U so far. Miiverse has taken more time than I care to admit to. I am rather disappointed I can't play my VC games directly on the tablet though.

I've spent too much time looking at the bizarre Funky Barn community.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

Ps3 version has motion controlled batarang by default. I guess that makes the game itself poo poo right? The best part about the game was you could use as much or as subtle 'gimmicky' controls that you want.

I never called the game poo poo.

I also didn't know that the motion controls were optional nor did I know that the PS3 had them.

The armoured costumes are still awful though.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Any tips for keeping a gamepad clean once the dirty inevitabilities of social party gaming set in? Like, anything I definitely SHOULDN'T use on it? I figure this thing is designed to take a beating from 8-year olds so I probably shouldn't freak out about the screen too much.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
^ Seal it in a plastic bag. The touchscreen isn't inductive, so you should be fine.

Is the Miiverse region-locked? I'd miss out on all the Funky Barn-stuff if it was... :ohdear:

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
Eyeglass cleaner would probably be best, alcohol if you think the children are plague-bearers. Just don't use alcohol too often, it can dry out anything its on, especially that gorilla glass.

Edoraz fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 24, 2012

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

Anyone had any luck with UK pre-orders? I left it till a few days ago and just got an email from Tesco saying it won't be here until the 10th December. :(

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Long John Power posted:

Anyone had any luck with UK pre-orders? I left it till a few days ago and just got an email from Tesco saying it won't be here until the 10th December. :(

Well I pre-ordered from Shopto and I've heard nothing to suggest it'll be delayed yet

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Minidust posted:

Any tips for keeping a gamepad clean once the dirty inevitabilities of social party gaming set in? Like, anything I definitely SHOULDN'T use on it? I figure this thing is designed to take a beating from 8-year olds so I probably shouldn't freak out about the screen too much.

You can get a microfiber lens cloth and a bottle of cleaning solution at pretty much any grocery store or big box retailer, in the optics or typically around the checkout. They work wonders on pretty much any electronic and don't streak or scratch high gloss finish.

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

Bland posted:

Well I pre-ordered from Shopto and I've heard nothing to suggest it'll be delayed yet

I had never heard of them before, they do seem to be all about the bundles though. The site looks a bit ropey as well, have you had any stuff from them before?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Long John Power posted:

I had never heard of them before, they do seem to be all about the bundles though. The site looks a bit ropey as well, have you had any stuff from them before?

I've been ordering from them for years and have never once had a late delivery, I usually receive things fro them 1-2 days before release date even.

Never had any problems with them really

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
I seriously love the Wii U. The only thing I find annoying are all the drat accessories you need. It's weird that you can't just play NSMBU with the Wii U Pro Controllers but you actually NEED the Wii motion controllers to play. So what, now I need to have 4 Wii controllers, 4 nunchuks, and 4 Wii U Pro Controllers just to cover my bases for local multiplayer? Kinda lame :(, wish everything could just be mapped to the Wii U pro controllers or something.

Monode
Feb 19, 2011

oo

Long John Power posted:

I've preordered a few games from them before and they've always arrived on time or a few days earlier. I considered using them for the WiiU but decided against it just in case.

Heard nothing from GAME yet so I hope they're going to have enough stock.

I agree with shopto looking dodgy though, I thought that at first but havent had any troubles.

Runaway Five
Dec 31, 2007
I hate gays almost as much as I hate good posting. Also, God is good. Amen

InFlames235 posted:

I seriously love the Wii U. The only thing I find annoying are all the drat accessories you need.

I feel your pain. I can only think of 3 Wii games that let you choose ANY way to play you wanted.

Muramasa (Classic Controller, Gamecube Controller)
Smash Bros Brawl (Wii Remote, Wii Remote + Nunchuck, Classic Controller, Gamecube Controller)
Mario Kart Wii (Wii Remote Only, Gamecube Controller, Classic Controller?)

I had my feelings hurt when Animal Crossing City Folk didn't support the classic controller. It would have been so drat easy to program! You had to point your cursor at the screen to type no matter what. (Wii Remote + Nunchuck only)

So, Nintendo has a bad track record of only allowing one control scheme per game. I know it makes it easier to program and beta test, but, come on!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Minidust posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-U-Precision-Screen-Filter-Nintendo/dp/B009NRO1J2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353783978&sr=8-1&keywords=wii+u+hori

Hori screen protectors are the best thing for the DS and 3DS, so I'd trust them for the Wii U. They are actually licensed by Nintendo if that makes you feel better about applying some unknown thing to your console, they're not some fly by night group.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

InFlames235 posted:

I seriously love the Wii U. The only thing I find annoying are all the drat accessories you need. It's weird that you can't just play NSMBU with the Wii U Pro Controllers but you actually NEED the Wii motion controllers to play. So what, now I need to have 4 Wii controllers, 4 nunchuks, and 4 Wii U Pro Controllers just to cover my bases for local multiplayer? Kinda lame :(, wish everything could just be mapped to the Wii U pro controllers or something.
The pro controllers lacking a headphone jack and an accelerometer is a really bizarre omission at that price point.

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

Monode posted:

I've preordered a few games from them before and they've always arrived on time or a few days earlier. I considered using them for the WiiU but decided against it just in case.

Heard nothing from GAME yet so I hope they're going to have enough stock.

I agree with shopto looking dodgy though, I thought that at first but havent had any troubles.

Cheers for the help boys.

Game have stopped taking orders on non bundled WiiUs now, and have a "before christmas" one now. http://www.game.co.uk/en/black-wii-u-premium-console-arriving-december-guaranteed-for-christmas-193251

I am getting the feeling that I may have Mickey moused this launch!

shadowobsessed
Jul 1, 2010

No worms on the bed!

Robolizard! posted:

(This should be in the OP)Flingsmash is on clearance at toys r us.

I think there's a limit on 1 per customer online, but they let me buy at least two at a time in-store. I definitely recommend taking advantage of this deal.

LividLiquid posted:

So there's pretty much zero chance of buying a U before Christmas, huh? Even Amazon doesn't have any.

Can I just drive to Nintendo in Redmond and buy one there?

On Black Friday I saw stacks in Best Buy, and they weren't even gone instantly. People were slowly picking them off, but there was a pretty sizeable amount. I'd make sure to check there, TRU, GameStop, Walmart, Target... my friend drove 20 miles away but he didn't know there were stores carrying it in our town. =_= Also Sear's offers Wii U's, but I believe you have to sign up for their credit card to be eligible to buy one.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Gendo posted:

The pro controllers lacking a headphone jack and an accelerometer is a really bizarre omission at that price point.
I wonder if the former was the result of Nintendo expecting people to buy wireless headsets? Not sure why they wouldn't have accelerometers though.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

Gendo posted:

I agree completely but was also thinking, wouldn't it be possible for them to patch in the pro controllers to use headphones and then you could just use a USB headset? Not sure if that'd work but it'd be cool. Still a pity they didn't just include a headphone jack. That would have cost, what, an extra 20 cents per controller?

InFlames235 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 24, 2012

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
What's the word on BLOPS2 for the Wii U? I'm kind of interested in having a shooter to play on the pad when I can't play Halo because the tv is in use.

Radnor
Dec 11, 2002

Octoparrot is watching you.

xwonderboyx posted:

What's the word on BLOPS2 for the Wii U? I'm kind of interested in having a shooter to play on the pad when I can't play Halo because the tv is in use.

I like it and it looks and plays very well even on the gamepad.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

shadowobsessed posted:

I think there's a limit on 1 per customer online, but they let me buy at least two at a time in-store. I definitely recommend taking advantage of this deal.

On Black Friday I saw stacks in Best Buy, and they weren't even gone instantly. People were slowly picking them off, but there was a pretty sizeable amount. I'd make sure to check there, TRU, GameStop, Walmart, Target... my friend drove 20 miles away but he didn't know there were stores carrying it in our town. =_= Also Sear's offers Wii U's, but I believe you have to sign up for their credit card to be eligible to buy one.

I was at a Target and a Gamestop recently and neither had even the basic model. This is in southern California.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Radnor posted:

I like it and it looks and plays very well even on the gamepad.

Sold!

Edit: BULLSHIT it's not on the eshop. Not buying that poo poo anymore haha

Fart Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 24, 2012

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I was at a Target and a Gamestop recently and neither had even the basic model. This is in southern California.

Yep, I'm also in So Cal and no luck anywhere so far. I might just order it online.

shadowobsessed
Jul 1, 2010

No worms on the bed!

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Oh, sorry. I'm in NorCal :(

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

xwonderboyx posted:

Sold!

Edit: BULLSHIT it's not on the eshop. Not buying that poo poo anymore haha

I'd be wary of buying stuff from the eShop anyways until they make purchases linked to your account rather than linked to your console.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I got my basic U in from Walmart.com today. I bought the bundle, but NSMBU was shipped separately through USPS, and the mail has come and gone without it today. Bummer. Well... what if I buy the game today locally, and then return the unopened one I get in the mail? My one concern is shrink wrap: what if the game I buy today is shrink wrapped, but the one in the mail isn't? Maybe anyone knows of a brick and mortar store that doesn't have shrink wrapped games?

I could just buy another game, sure, but... there's nothing else I want to buy right now. Maybe some games, like ZombiU and Nintendo Land I'll pick up later when they are cheap. Beyond that, any other game I'd want I either already own or would own on my PC first. I have AC3 and Scribblenauts on my computer because it's going to run better and look better, especially considering I have a 27" 2560x1440 monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So if you need another Wii Motion Plus controller, I definitely recommend picking up Fling Smash at TRU with their Groupon Deal they have going on right now!

$10 for $20 good for almost anything in the store besides gift cards, electronic downloads, warranties, and other stuff like that

http://www.groupon.com/deals/toys-r-us-november-chicago?utm_medium=afl&utm_campaign=1225267&utm_source=rvs

I used my Groupon Giftcards I got through Bing Rewards, so the total cost to me was $5.28!

• Locked thread