Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

the posted:

Any idea when ICS is coming to the original Asus Transformer? If ever?

4.0 was early this year. Or do you mean 4.1 (Jellybean)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

dissss posted:

4.0 was early this year. Or do you mean 4.1 (Jellybean)?

Yes, sorry. My Nexus is on 4.1.1. Is that ever coming?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

the posted:

Yes, sorry. My Nexus is on 4.1.1. Is that ever coming?
It can barely run 4.0, so my guess would be "never".

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

nmfree posted:

It can barely run 4.0, so my guess would be "never".

The TF101 uses Tegra 2, right? If so, it's a surprise it even got ICS.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

anakha posted:

Correct, and pretty much.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

anakha posted:

Tegra 2 didn't seem to be such an issue on tablets - even the A500 got ICS eventually and the Xoom of course got Jellybean

That said I'd doubt there will be anything beyond ICS officially

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The only reason why I wouldn't want Jelly Bean 4.2 on any 10" is that the software keys get moved from the edge of the screen to the center of the screen. Granted, ASUS and other companies might be working on their own tweaks to JB so that those buttons in the center of the screen.

My mom actually received her Nexus 10 today and it was already 4.2 and just setting it up for it I completely hated the inability to use the keys with the hand I was holding the tablet with.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Getting a lot of launcher redraws on my bone stock N7 now that it's 4.2. It's not terrible since the tablet is fast enough to redraw before its a problem but its visually asstastic and pretty unacceptable considering it didn't happen on 4.1. Might throw Nova on at this point but Jesus Christ the bug fix for 4.2 cannot come soon enough.

I'm beginning to accept the fact that Google didn't do any QA on this release beyond making sure it booted. :-\

Sivores
May 25, 2008

All about that bass,
that smooth jazzy bass.
Has anyone figured out a way to access an external hard drive (such as a 1tb Toshiba) on a nexus 7 without rooting? Or do I have to buy something like an archos tablet and jump through a ton of hoops to get a drive working?

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Sivores posted:

Has anyone figured out a way to access an external hard drive (such as a 1tb Toshiba) on a nexus 7 without rooting? Or do I have to buy something like an archos tablet and jump through a ton of hoops to get a drive working?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.homeysoft.nexususb.importer

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Getting a lot of launcher redraws on my bone stock N7 now that it's 4.2. It's not terrible since the tablet is fast enough to redraw before its a problem but its visually asstastic and pretty unacceptable considering it didn't happen on 4.1. Might throw Nova on at this point but Jesus Christ the bug fix for 4.2 cannot come soon enough.

I'm beginning to accept the fact that Google didn't do any QA on this release beyond making sure it booted. :-\

Yeah, and the tablet is basically unusable for the first minute or two after it starts up too. That wouldn't be an issue if it weren't for the fact that I can pretty much count on it to reboot on its own at least once when I'm using it now.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I haven't had any spontaneous reboots but at 4.2's current rate of sucking rear end I wouldn't be surprised if mine started to all of a sudden.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Anyone know of some b good websites that show off N7 home screens/themes? The thread in here is pretty good but seems to be all phones.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

We were just talking about Chameleon Launcher which is a widget-based launcher. I got it, it's pretty drat snazzy. http://www.chameleonlauncher.com/

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
What's the performance of the N7 like vs the N10? though it's 4-core, it's using an older architecture at a lower clock-speed. From the recent complaints about 4.2, I'm guessing that a 4.2 N7 won't be significantly more smooth than my 4.0.4 galaxy nexus?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Safe and Secure! posted:

What's the performance of the N7 like vs the N10? though it's 4-core, it's using an older architecture at a lower clock-speed. From the recent complaints about 4.2, I'm guessing that a 4.2 N7 won't be significantly more smooth than my 4.0.4 galaxy nexus?

I would put the N7 somewhere between the OMAP4 (Galaxy Nexus) and a S4 (Galaxy SIII.)

My S4 based phone is noticeably faster than the N7 but the N7 was noticiably faster than my Galaxy Nexus.

The N10 is a tough nut to compare. The processor in it is a ton more capable, but it also has a ton more pixels to push.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Safe and Secure! posted:

I own both an N7 and a GNex, both devices are super smooth and have greater performance. I'd imagine the N10 is the same. What I really mean is that the N7 might be six months old but it doesn't seem to be struggling at all.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Haha I almost can't believe we're at the stage where we might consider literally 6-month old technology to be struggling. Pretty amazing.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Michael Scott posted:

Haha I almost can't believe we're at the stage where we might consider literally 6-month old technology to be struggling. Pretty amazing.
While I was typing that post I was thinking exactly this.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Tunga posted:

I own both an N7 and a GNex, both devices are super smooth and have greater performance. I'd imagine the N10 is the same.
The Verge say's it's smooth and fast but then shows it stuttering pretty badly on a webpage. v:shobon:v

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt1ZKiZaem8&t=78s

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

randyest posted:

The Verge say's it's smooth and fast but then shows it stuttering pretty badly on a webpage. v:shobon:v

That has more to do with Chrome showing bad performance, rather than Android or the tablet as a whole. I've gotten much better scrolling performance out of Firefox on the same hardware.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
It's also The Verge's website, which is known to have performance issues on many browsers/devices; but is particularly bad on the android version of chrome. I't the only website I have problems with consistently on my Nexus 7, so much so I just use Currents to read The Verge on that.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
Yeah android chrome has problems with some websites. Using Firefox on my N10 solved all of that. It's less of a N10 problem and more of an chrome on android problem.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

randyest posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt1ZKiZaem8&t=78s
As others have said, a webpage that Chrome struggles with in general, including on the other devices that I mentioned,

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

randyest posted:

Haven't we had this conversation?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

IT Guy posted:

Haven't we had this conversation?
Yes like 2 weeks ago. Anyone who wants to argue about The Verge's browser performance please refer to those earlier pages and then kill yourself.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Is there any way to reliably hide the button bar on ICS and get all that screen real estate back?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Anything like Apple's Smart Cover for the Nexus 7 yet? What's the point of having a "magnetic sensor" if they don't sell a cover that makes use of it? I'm just looking for something simple and unobtrusive to protect the screen, no need for pockets or stands or what have you. Back when I had an e-reader, the standard official cover was perfect (for my needs), anything like that for the N7 and I'm happy.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

seravid posted:

Anything like Apple's Smart Cover for the Nexus 7 yet? What's the point of having a "magnetic sensor" if they don't sell a cover that makes use of it?
The official Google Nexus 7 cover has a magnetic wake feature. Have you tried that?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
I just got the Moko case based on an earlier recommendation in this thread and I love it.

http://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Automatic-Protective-Multi-angle-Lifetime/dp/B008FLYROG/ref=pd_bxgy_pc_text_y

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

hotsauce posted:

The official Google Nexus 7 cover has a magnetic wake feature. Have you tried that?

Are you sure? I've seen a few reviews and they all say it doesn't. Also, it's butt ugly.

Ozmodiar posted:

I just got the Moko case based on an earlier recommendation in this thread and I love it.

http://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Automatic-Protective-Multi-angle-Lifetime/dp/B008FLYROG/ref=pd_bxgy_pc_text_y

Thanks but that's exactly the swiss army knife kind of cover I want to avoid :v:

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

seravid posted:

Thanks but that's exactly the swiss army knife kind of cover I want to avoid :v:

No problem. Just trying to help.

FWIW - You don't have to use any of the "extra" stuff if you don't want to... Its a really thin, sturdy, well made case that just happens to have some extra stuff.

Personally, I use the hand-slot way more than I thought I would, and I love the "landscape stand" as well.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

hotsauce posted:

Huh? I have the one on the Play Store and it's just a flimsy hunk of rubber. No magnet in there at all.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MIQGTQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

This one is a pretty good case.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Any similar cool accessories for the Transformer Pad T300? The cover Asus sells is like loving $40+

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
The Blurex/EXOTEK/Moko (they're all the same) cases are pretty good. Don't let the whole stand display fool you, it's pretty cleverly built into that and the fact that it turns into a stand doesn't make the case bulky or anything. It's really thin and unobtrusive. It's what you want.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

hotsauce posted:

The official Google Nexus 7 cover has a magnetic wake feature.

Yeah no.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Would that would for an actual external hardrive, though? I would think a harddrive would draw more current than can be provided.

Unless devices with USB Host mode can supply as much amperage as a real USB port.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

Would that would for an actual external hardrive, though? I would think a harddrive would draw more current than can be provided.

Unless devices with USB Host mode can supply as much amperage as a real USB port.
Depends on the phone and the drive. My Buffalo doesn't work but there are Youtube videos of it working with some other drives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Michael Scott posted:

Any similar cool accessories for the Transformer Pad T300? The cover Asus sells is like loving $40+

I've been using this one for my TF300. Very similar, but can be used with or without the keyboard dock as well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007S9ZG5A/