Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

mediaphage posted:

If you have an android phone, try verifying through the app - don't use the online thing as that didn't work for me, either. I have an Ontario phone number and it's working fine.

I've tried both in app and online, no luck. Come on Google, gently caress Ontario having all the fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
What's the point of using a GV number in Canada though - wouldn't people calling the number be charged long distance rates?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

rawrr posted:

What's the point of using a GV number in Canada though - wouldn't people calling the number be charged long distance rates?

Depends on their plan. But I'm an American living here anyway.

Steriletom
May 11, 2009

My inability to write has angered the ghost of Thunderdome! Beware my example, lest you be haunted.
Will a Sprint Galaxy S3 work with Canadian carriers?

Edit -

Found the answer eventually via Google.

Steriletom fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 23, 2012

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
In case you missed it in the other threads the N4 has LTE in Canada:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6474/nexus-4-includes-support-for-lte-on-band-4-aws

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Mobile Syrup posted:

Fidos $57/month Value Pack promo gives unlimited talk, texts, unlimited Canada-wide calling, Visual Voicemail, Call Display and Call Waiting and doubles down their data at 2GB.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/11/23/fido-doubles-data-offering-on-57month-plan-now-2gb-with-unlimited-talk-and-texts/

:monocle:

A long way to go before we hit European/Asian prices still, not to mention European/Asian lack of bullshit - but man, that feels like a drat good deal. Take the 2 year with an easily-sellable phone, and you're well on your way to buying an unsubsidized device on a great plan.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
S3 is $0 on pretty much every carrier if anyone was holding out.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Lexicon posted:

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/11/23/fido-doubles-data-offering-on-57month-plan-now-2gb-with-unlimited-talk-and-texts/

:monocle:

A long way to go before we hit European/Asian prices still, not to mention European/Asian lack of bullshit - but man, that feels like a drat good deal. Take the 2 year with an easily-sellable phone, and you're well on your way to buying an unsubsidized device on a great plan.

If anyone here got this plan in the past few weeks when it was just 1 GB of data, call customer service. They were quite happy to change ours to 2 GB today.

They also credited my wife $90 because they charged her $100 for data on our first day. No biggie, mistakes happen and I don't care as long as they're corrected. Always go over your bills line by line.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

How the gently caress do the people in Regina have LTE and us here in Winnipeg have poo poo, loving goddamn Rogers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Vintersorg posted:

How the gently caress do the people in Regina have LTE and us here in Winnipeg have poo poo, loving goddamn Rogers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Canada's glorius, reliable, Captive Market network.

less than three fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 24, 2012

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

less than three posted:

Canada's glorius, reliable, Free Market network.

Sorry to be that guy, but "free market" has no place in any paragraph describing Canadian wireless.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah, you're right. I have corrected my error.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I don't expect most people to follow through on this (hell, I probably wouldn't) as an hour-long podcast is a big commitment from some random nerd on the internet, but I feel compelled to recommend anyway: http://5by5.tv/criticalpath/64

It's a discussion between Horace Dediu and Benedict Evans, experts on the mobile hardware and carrier networks respectively, on some fascinating topics around carriers, devices, business models, etc.

It's an absolutely fascinating discussion for anyone with an interest in the industry.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Lexicon posted:

Sorry to be that guy, but "free market" has no place in any paragraph describing Canada

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

^ True. Canada often pursues what might be thought of as the worst-of-all-worlds strategy: "let's have a 'private' model in industry X, but ensure there are legislative and otherwise barriers to entry, thus the mechanism that makes private industry attractive in general isn't actually possible".

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Out of curiosity, I was playing around on the Staples.ca site and it set that I could get an iPad Mini + 4G delivered to a store tomorrow. Does that mean that they have them in stock at the warehouses? I'd call, but I've no idea who to call about an online purchase.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

mediaphage posted:

Out of curiosity, I was playing around on the Staples.ca site and it set that I could get an iPad Mini + 4G delivered to a store tomorrow. Does that mean that they have them in stock at the warehouses? I'd call, but I've no idea who to call about an online purchase.

Mine from apple.ca is still "ships late November". Has been for a while. Take that for what it's worth.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Lexicon posted:

Mine from apple.ca is still "ships late November". Has been for a while. Take that for what it's worth.

Yeah...it used to be on staples.ca that you couldn't put it in your cart at all. Oh well, just curious; don't want to start another delivery trend. I'll be able to pick one up before we fly east for Christmas, anyway. Thanks!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Also not trying to be a dick or anything, but GVoice is still working great on my Wind phone. They must be testing a rollout for soon, or something.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

mediaphage posted:

Also not trying to be a dick or anything, but GVoice is still working great on my Wind phone. They must be testing a rollout for soon, or something.

Are you using a 403 number?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

less than three posted:

Are you using a 403 number?

He previously mentioned he has an Ontario number, no. 403 is Calgary. I don't understand how it's working either :shrug:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Geektox posted:

He previously mentioned he has an Ontario number, no. 403 is Calgary. I don't understand how it's working either :shrug:
Yeah if you look around, apparently a bunch of people got it to start working by activating the number through the Android app. Google must have disabled that loophole. I dunno, it's sometng they could pretty easily disable if they were so inclined. It is a mystery!

cadenceweapon
Feb 1, 2008
"What. The Hell. Is that?" / "Something else. Also terrible"
What's all this about google voice in Canada? I live in Toronto and have had a Seattle number for ages, pretty sure my account predated Google voice, but if I could get an Ontario number instead that would be great.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Do any of the carriers have ways of getting a new phone for someone else as a gift? I'd like to get my wife an iPhone 5 for Christmas. She's on Fido and it looks like they only sell them with a 3 year contract, no unsubsidized price on the site.

Or should I just say screw it and order an unlocked one from Apple?

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Just got an email from Google, the Nexus 4 is going back on sale in Canada starting at 12:00 noon (PST).

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

You can finally get Jelly Bean on your GS3s on Rogers. Now I get to re-learn how to type on the slightly altered keyboard!

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

priznat posted:

Do any of the carriers have ways of getting a new phone for someone else as a gift? I'd like to get my wife an iPhone 5 for Christmas. She's on Fido and it looks like they only sell them with a 3 year contract, no unsubsidized price on the site.

Or should I just say screw it and order an unlocked one from Apple?

Unlocked would be by far the easiest way. If she has an existing Fido contract is she eligible for renewal? I don't think theres any way to a hardware upgrade for her as a 'gift' without her knowledge.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

leidend posted:

You can finally get Jelly Bean on your GS3s on Rogers. Now I get to re-learn how to type on the slightly altered keyboard!

No OTA for my Virgin one, but after plugging it in Kies gave me the prompt :woop:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

DarkJC posted:

Unlocked would be by far the easiest way. If she has an existing Fido contract is she eligible for renewal? I don't think theres any way to a hardware upgrade for her as a 'gift' without her knowledge.

Don't think she is up for another year. Last renewal she got the iPhone 4, her current phone. She wanted to switch to that $57 plan but can't get the iPhone upgrade (and isn't within the retention window yet).

I'm on Fido too and got myself an unlocked 5 at launch mostly because Fido rollouts are such a gong show, plus didn't want to go on contract again. Guess I'll do the same for her!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

priznat posted:

Don't think she is up for another year. Last renewal she got the iPhone 4, her current phone. She wanted to switch to that $57 plan but can't get the iPhone upgrade (and isn't within the retention window yet).

I'm on Fido too and got myself an unlocked 5 at launch mostly because Fido rollouts are such a gong show, plus didn't want to go on contract again. Guess I'll do the same for her!

I'm on a three year plan with Fido and I managed to get a $67/month plan that is the same as the $57/month plan except 1000 daytime outgoing minutes instead of unlimited. This isn't on the website but I'm not sure if it's just something offered via retentions. I'm less than 1 year into my plan but I was also pretty pissed off (long story) so who knows maybe they threw me it as a bone.

I'm never buying subsidized phones again though, especially living in Toronto where I have discount carrier options.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

A Fido LTE Micro SIM Card supports the "lower" networks, right? I need to go get a micro sim for my new phone and figure if, down the road, I upgrade to an LTE-capable phone, I'll at least not need to buy yet another SIM.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

I don't think there's anything special which makes a sim LTE capable.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Curious: will Fido give you a nano SIM to use with that $57 plan? iPhone 5 is the only phone that uses it that I'm aware of, and even if you bring your own device, I could see them being dicks and wanting to corral iPhone users to higher-value plans.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Zarkov Cortez posted:

I don't think there's anything special which makes a sim LTE capable.

You need an LTE sim (and LTE device, and LTE plan) in order to access the LTE network. LTE Sims are backwards compatible with 4G/3g/2g.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Lexicon posted:

Curious: will Fido give you a nano SIM to use with that $57 plan? iPhone 5 is the only phone that uses it that I'm aware of, and even if you bring your own device, I could see them being dicks and wanting to corral iPhone users to higher-value plans.

If you get an iPhone 5 go to an apple store and they will give you a free sim for whatever carrier. The dumbasses at the fido store didn't even know what they would charge but they were out of them anyway. Basically just always avoid going to the fido store.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Welp. Rogers refused to let me get an iPad plan since I only have American ID. Is there any way around this? It's kind of ridiculous.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

mediaphage posted:

Welp. Rogers refused to let me get an iPad plan since I only have American ID. Is there any way around this? It's kind of ridiculous.

Try a different store. Seek refuge in the utter lack of consistency in their policies.

Conversely - look into prepaid. I think Telus offers this for tablets.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

mediaphage posted:

Nope.

You'll have to look into prepaid, if anyone still offers it. Don't both going to a different store, as dumb as some Rogers employees may be, they likely did not screw up the part where you fill in a field that will only accept Canadian identification. A credit check must be done when signing up for any kind of plan, and only Canadian credit information will do.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

OilSlick posted:

Nope.

You'll have to look into prepaid, if anyone still offers it. Don't both going to a different store, as dumb as some Rogers employees may be, they likely did not screw up the part where you fill in a field that will only accept Canadian identification. A credit check must be done when signing up for any kind of plan, and only Canadian credit information will do.
They don't, not on LTE. This is supremely frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tedgewick
Oct 29, 2012
I'd love some help with an upcoming cellquandry if anyone has advice to give. I'm someone's tech support department and their 3 year Rogers contract is winding down in March. Currently they have an iPhone 3gs and love it. They are not tech savvy enough to use a lot of data or care if its delivered at 3g or 4g speed so the plan is to keep the current handset to save money and avoid another contract. So I'm going to be the one to haggle on their behalf with Rogers' retention to get a better month-to-month deal than their current and expensive free evenings after 9pm plan. Can someone give me a rough ballpark figure of a good value retention plan these days? What is the going price for a mostly-voice, low text, low data use plan in Ontario?

I've been on the Mobilicity $33 Friends and Family unlimited everything plan forever so I have no idea what things actually cost anymore. Thanks.