Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Cannot Find Server posted:

I dunno if they've been changed, but I remember in the PS2 version some of them being really easy and some of them being completely incomprehensible to anyone not living in Japan. There was one in particular about some Japanese poet that I cannot imagine Atlus could have expected any of their Western audience ever knowing without looking it up.

On that note, I hope they haven't changed them, since I have all of them memorized by heart at this point.

I liked the obscure Japanese culture/history questions because they kind of emulated any of those obscure facts you are expected to know in High School but never can.

Also, to chime in, Persona 2 has the better cast of characters and story to any Persona game. This includes both Persona 2 games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

I think my favorite new feature is the shopping network can now be watched on sunday, monday, or tuesday, AND the game will remind you about it and other things that aren't outright obvious, like that you can go to your part time jobs via the bus station that day.

My favorite because I am easily distracted. "Oh, its sunday! Better go watch the sho-- oh hey, I can do a slink! Lets go do that sli-- oh snap I need fish, better fis-- oh, its raining, lets get rare monsters!"

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
For all those complaining that the screen was filled with "Spent time w/ Marie". Wait till you get a bit further in the game because its now "Spent time w/ Rise". Even more than Marie ever was.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

RentCavalier posted:

I liked the obscure Japanese culture/history questions because they kind of emulated any of those obscure facts you are expected to know in High School but never can.

So far the questions still seem to include obscure Japanese facts, but they're guessable obscure Japanese facts. One of the questions asks how Soseki Natsume translated "I love you" from English, but the answer sticks out since it's "The moon is beautiful tonight, isn't it?"

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

I think so, but it was actually in the original game too. Also since Breaking Dawn Part II just came out it's still sort of relevant.

That "my-places and life-journals" thing seems dated now, though.

Gyre posted:

So far the questions still seem to include obscure Japanese facts, but they're guessable obscure Japanese facts. One of the questions asks how Soseki Natsume translated "I love you" from English, but the answer sticks out since it's "The moon is beautiful tonight, isn't it?"
One of the questions I got is "Who mistranslated this kanji <<japanese rune>>". Better memorize what it looks like, because you have to select from three on the final exam.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Moldy Taxes posted:

That "my-places and life-journals" thing seems dated now, though.

The thing is, for Morooka it works, because it makes him seem even more out-of-touch. He's several years behind the times, now, and the game is meant to take place in LITERALLY the modern day - like last year, IIRC.

Laex
Sep 24, 2007
If anyone is wondering about it the network gimmicks work with an EU account :getin:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Since I apparently lost my chance to get the fishing rod and bug-catching net by not going out of my way to talk to an NPC by a certain date (if there's another way to obtain a bug, please let me know), I actually thought about restarting the game entirely. Not because I care about fishing or bugs that much, but because you can't finish the fox's social link without fishing (and probably catching some bugs in this version). Figures that something like this would happen the one time I only use one save file.

I don't think I will actually restart because gently caress doing that after 16 hours, but now I'm just going to be all :spergin: about unwinnable social links.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Tellaris posted:

I think my favorite new feature is the shopping network can now be watched on sunday, monday, or tuesday, AND the game will remind you about it and other things that aren't outright obvious, like that you can go to your part time jobs via the bus station that day.

My favorite because I am easily distracted. "Oh, its sunday! Better go watch the sho-- oh hey, I can do a slink! Lets go do that sli-- oh snap I need fish, better fis-- oh, its raining, lets get rare monsters!"

Yeah, it's loving great to actually be able to buy poo poo of the shopping channel now.

I really like the new gardening system since it basically gives you some good items and exp for Dojima and Nanako for a little money and a evening.

Dr. Video Games 0156
Jan 1, 2005
romantic comedy wahhhh

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Since I apparently lost my chance to get the fishing rod and bug-catching net by not going out of my way to talk to an NPC by a certain date (if there's another way to obtain a bug, please let me know),

I thought I was in this situation too, but there are two things that may help you out. I'm not 100% positive on either, but you may keep an eye out. I'll spoiler them just in case...

1) The lady in white who has the kid's bug catching net did show up for me begging for fish without giving me the goddamn net, and then disappeared entirely for a while. Eventually I found her again and she gave me the net so I could start catching bugs. I don't know what her deal is, I don't know what causes this, I don't know if it will be possible for you, but you might as well check the shrine at night for a while and see what you can do.

2) You can often buy bugs & fish on Tanaka's shopping channel, though I don't know if you can ever buy the bugs you need. If you can, this might at least get you access to the fish hook & fishing.

Hope one of these two works out for you, it seems really crazy to me that with as much as they changed for the better that they would make fishing and one of their new minigames totally inaccessible permanently...

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

You can garden without taking up time, if you just never maintain it. You still get S Link bonuses for harvesting and replanting too. The plants do stuff like take you out of dungeons or give SP so it's definitely worth paying attention to. I'm assuming the ones you get later will do some good stuff.

Maintaining your garden makes stuff ready for harvest faster and increases how much you get.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You can garden without taking up time, if you just never maintain it. You still get S Link bonuses for harvesting and replanting too. The plants do stuff like take you out of dungeons or give SP so it's definitely worth paying attention to. I'm assuming the ones you get later will do some good stuff.

Maintaining your garden makes stuff ready for harvest faster and increases how much you get.

I'm only half way through and I got plants that are basically Gold keys, the elemental wall spells, and the physical/magic mirrors which isn't too shabby for a couple hundred yens. You also only have to maintain the garden the day before to get double the harvest.

[e] I also love how good some of the arcana effects are now. Magician upgrades one of your equipped persona's skills to the next tier so I got Mediarama way earlier than I should have.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0156 posted:

I thought I was in this situation too, but there are two things that may help you out. I'm not 100% positive on either, but you may keep an eye out.

Hope one of these two works out for you, it seems really crazy to me that with as much as they changed for the better that they would make fishing and one of their new minigames totally inaccessible permanently...
Thanks for the tips.

And yeah, I have no idea what they were thinking there. Why not just, you know, give the player the fishing rod (I don't think anyone complained about that in vanilla P4) and bug-catching net instead of making them jump through a bunch of hoops? Why have a fetch quest chain that wouldn't look out of place in a Sierra adventure game and even has a time limit you won't know about until it's too late? :arghfist::saddowns:

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

I know this question got sorta addressed but I'm still trying to figure out. I've finished the two hour "intro" and am ready to start the game proper. Am I going to end up in a walking dead scenario if I don't do certain things everyday ? The "Voice" bubbles say that everyone spends their day with Marie. So, according to the general public, I should be working really hard on getting my anime girlfriend as soon as possible?

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Mouser.. posted:

I know this question got sorta addressed but I'm still trying to figure out. I've finished the two hour "intro" and am ready to start the game proper. Am I going to end up in a walking dead scenario if I don't do certain things everyday ? The "Voice" bubbles say that everyone spends their day with Marie. So, according to the general public, I should be working really hard on getting my anime girlfriend as soon as possible?

No, do whatever. Its nearly impossible to screw yourself out of anything. Social links are the most important thing to do, but it doesn't matter who you do them with. Everyone is spending time with Marie because shes new, not because shes the best.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I keep hearing about the Magician card thing, but I haven't seen one yet. I'm in the 3rd dungeon if it matters, and playing on Easy since this is my first Persona game

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
It's just a rare card, made even rarer by the limited card slots.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Is there any reason to kill the reaper in p3p? I know you get rare drops in 4 or something.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Liquid Penguins posted:

Is there any reason to kill the reaper in p3p? I know you get rare drops in 4 or something.

In 3 FES there is a request to kill him which unlocks the extra block in Tartarus. I don't remember if that's the case in P3P though.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

(June event spoiler) "It seems King Moron is vomiting further up the river..." might be the second greatest text box in the history of RPGs.

edit: hell yeah now I can beat up monsters with a shovel :black101:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 24, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

My copy of this arrived today. I cannot believe how much better it looks, holy goddamn.

I can't wait to fuse my Personas and be able to just choose what skills to inherit. I likely wouldn't have even considered this game or a Vita to play it on if they didn't include that. gently caress yeah :allears:

e: Chie's voice is FREAKING ME OUT

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 24, 2012

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Oh hey, an NPC just gave me the bug catching net and I didn't have to give them anything in return (they're still asking for an item, but looks like GameFAQs was full of poo poo and that item is completely unrelated... or maybe not, since the NPC just disappeared when I went back to where they were :iiam:). Time to go catch some bugs :getin:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 24, 2012

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Was it the Lady in White? She comes and goes as she pleases.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
Does anyone have the URL to those screensavers you can use along with the cover that came with the game? I remember someone posted it either here or on the Vita thread a while ago.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
https://www.atlus.com/p4g/v/ir5xpJYzDd08

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Holy crap, going to the theatre gives bonus stats and level-ups! And this coffee is so drat good I passed out. I love Okina City.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Is there a way to set a single one of these to my Vita's wallpaper other than individually setting the wallpaper for each page?

I ask because the way I did it makes it fade to black each time I switch pages and it's annoying. I figured if there's some "universal wallpaper" setting hidden away somewhere it would stop the fading.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Is there a way to set a single one of these to my Vita's wallpaper other than individually setting the wallpaper for each page?

I ask because the way I did it makes it fade to black each time I switch pages and it's annoying. I figured if there's some "universal wallpaper" setting hidden away somewhere it would stop the fading.

I asked this in the Vita thread a couple days ago, and apparently no, no there is not. Which is really dumb.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

The Fisher King posted:

which episode is this?

13 and 14. Same set of events, but 13 was from Nanako's perspective and 14 was from Yu's if I recall correctly.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Oh my god.

4th dungeon spoilers: Boss has an 8-bit arrangement of I'll Face Myself.

Atlus you beautiful bastards :allears:.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Okay, I don't usually care for beach crap in anything Japanese, but visiting the beach with the group in this game is hysterical.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Best part of Selectable skills? The Growth line of skills becomes really easy to pass around.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Dr Pepper posted:

Best part of Selectable skills? The Growth line of skills becomes really easy to pass around.

Any advice on which skills synergize/areimportant to have? Or just a good primer on the skills in general? Having never played these games before, I'm afraid i'll gimp myself :(

Like, I just fused some stuff to make something called a Power, and it seems badass, but I fell like I dont have enough skills for him...it..w/e

I just beat the 3rd dungeon

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The Fisher King posted:

Any advice on which skills synergize/areimportant to have? Or just a good primer on the skills in general? Having never played these games before, I'm afraid i'll gimp myself :(

Like, I just fused some stuff to make something called a Power, and it seems badass, but I fell like I dont have enough skills for him...it..w/e

Try and have a good balance of Personas covering all 4 elements, and then one or two focusing on buff/debuff/healing (NEVER IGNORE BUFFS AND DEBUFFS!). It is hard to gimp yourself in terms of what Personas you are using if you follow those relatively simple rules, unless you do something like use one for a couple dungeons in a row, as the stat growth is a lot shittier for Personas who start at low levels.

e: I kinda misread your post, whoops.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 25, 2012

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

The Fisher King posted:

1. pick a skill you like
2. pass it on

You can't really gently caress anything up, your current personas will grow outdated as you grow in level.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The Growth Skills are just really useful in general. They let a Persona gain EXP even if they're not being used. With how much EXP it takes to level up a Persona, being able to gain a few levels for them without going out of your way is pretty handy.

Anyways, for skills, in general there are a few things you want in a Persona from fusion. Skills that boost their abilities is nice, so any sort of X Boost or X Amp Skills is good. Same with covering their weaknesses, X Dodge or Resist X. And of course good passive abilities like Growth and Regenerate are handy.

And then there's just passing on some stuff to make it more versatile. Skills they don't naturally learn and all that.

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

Getting sarasvasti at 18 is a good idea, you get invigorate 2, which easily becomes 3 with magician arcanas. You get 5 (7 with 3) mana per turn, and you can pass it around no problem to future magic-heavy personas.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Dr Pepper posted:

The Growth Skills are just really useful in general. They let a Persona gain EXP even if they're not being used. With how much EXP it takes to level up a Persona, being able to gain a few levels for them without going out of your way is pretty handy.

Anyways, for skills, in general there are a few things you want in a Persona from fusion. Skills that boost their abilities is nice, so any sort of X Boost or X Amp Skills is good. Same with covering their weaknesses, X Dodge or Resist X. And of course good passive abilities like Growth and Regenerate are handy.

And then there's just passing on some stuff to make it more versatile. Skills they don't naturally learn and all that.

I've got a Senri that just laughs at Shadow Yukiko all because of giving it skills

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
By the way, is it still true that physical Vita games strangely load faster than PSN downloaded versions? Might as well pick up The Golden, but I'd want to wait till I actually have a Vita if PSN is the route to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Nate RFB posted:

By the way, is it still true that physical Vita games strangely load faster than PSN downloaded versions?

Judging from FFIV digital vs Persona 4 physical, no

• Locked thread