Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Thwomp posted:

No one really knows. At least not until Apple figures out how to get their "Apple TV Set" past the networks and cable companies.

Joe Don Baker posted:

Just get the 3. It's only $100. Even if Apple released a new one soon, you could always flip it for 50 or 60 bucks.

Diabolik900 posted:

Yeah, there's really no telling when a new Apple TV will come out. There's no pattern to the releases at this point.
Thanks. Just ordered one! Been mulling over this purchase for a while, but now that I've got an HDMI-capable receiver it seems like the perfect time.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Hope it works for you. I didn't get one until the ATV3 was released. At that point I had an iPad, iPhone and a Mac, which makes the ATV somewhat indispensable at this point, especially since Airplay for Macs came out.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Don't forget the refurbished store $85

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

There's nothing obvious Apple could upgrade in the AppleTV anyways. Even the 2 -> 3 was just the obvious 720p to 1080p.

Well, maybe they'll kill the Ethernet port at some point. Or upgrade the wireless.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

smackfu posted:

There's nothing obvious Apple could upgrade in the AppleTV anyways. Even the 2 -> 3 was just the obvious 720p to 1080p.

Well, maybe they'll kill the Ethernet port at some point. Or upgrade the wireless.

It would also be pretty rad if you could download apps, like a Spotify app for example.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Bojanglesworth posted:

It would also be pretty rad if you could download apps, like a Spotify app for example.

That would all be software updates that wouldn't require any hardware refreshes. I do wish they'd put a gigabit ethernet port on there but that's really the only thing I can think of.

puppy party
Sep 21, 2008
I bought Magic Media Marker so that I could have files automatically remuxed once they hit a certain folder, but I can't get the drat thing to remux anything. It will convert like Handbrake, which takes forever, but not remux.

Am I doing something wrong or is the program broken?

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

I wants flies in on a dragons, okay?
Is the Apple TV itself noisy at all? I'm guessing no...It seems so small, and I've never known Apple hardware to be particularly noisy.

I like my Xbox 360, but watching Netflix on it is impractical because it's so roaringly noisy that I can't enjoy movies while it's on.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Rexim posted:

Is the Apple TV itself noisy at all? I'm guessing no...It seems so small, and I've never known Apple hardware to be particularly noisy.

I like my Xbox 360, but watching Netflix on it is impractical because it's so roaringly noisy that I can't enjoy movies while it's on.

No, it's completely silent.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Rexim posted:

Yeah, the Apple TV is basically an iPod or iPad without a screen or speakers.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Rexim posted:

There are no moving parts in it

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

puppy party posted:

I bought Magic Media Marker so that I could have files automatically remuxed once they hit a certain folder, but I can't get the drat thing to remux anything. It will convert like Handbrake, which takes forever, but not remux.

Am I doing something wrong or is the program broken?

At one point remuxing was working fine for me but it seems to be broken with the latest release. I sent an email to the developer to see if this is a bug that was introduced.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I just sold my Apple TV first gen for 81 dollars on Ebay.

I should have upgraded a long time ago, I guess people really want to jailbreak them?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

FishBulb posted:

I just sold my Apple TV first gen for 81 dollars on Ebay.

I should have upgraded a long time ago, I guess people really want to jailbreak them?

By first gen, do you mean the Apple TV that came with a hard drive?

Because I don't think those got the current AppleTV menu/features/OS

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Thwomp posted:

By first gen, do you mean the Apple TV that came with a hard drive?

Because I don't think those got the current AppleTV menu/features/OS

Yeah 40 gb one. They don't get the newer menu stuff no (I actually slightly prefer the menu layout on the old one, "my movies" was nicer than "computer->my movies") but I guess the ability to jailbreak them is worth a lot to some people.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That first Apple TV was also significantly more expensive. $299 if you bought it at launch. Although it's probably held value much better than a similarly priced iPod from that year.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Is there an program I can use to AirPlay from my windows pc to my Apple TV?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

B-Mac posted:

itunes.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

B-Mac posted:

If you are looking to AirPlay something other than files in iTunes you could try this : https://www.airparrot.com

As a disclaimer, I have never used this but I did find it with Google.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Legdiian posted:

If you are looking to AirPlay something other than files in iTunes you could try this : https://www.airparrot.com

I've used it on both a macbook and a computer-- On a desktop with a PhenomX3, 8gb ram it was very mediocre. On a 2012 macbook air, it was also very mediocre- especially as the native mirroring in ML mirrors 1080p flash streams perfectly.

If you have an i5 or i7 it might work well enough, there is like a 10 minute trial period where you can gauge how well it works-- but it was upsetting that my iPhone could mirror with a better frame rate than my old desktop (I know that one uses hardware encoding and one is software based).

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

B-Mac posted:

I use this http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/ and it works great for streaming audio from basically any program..

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
My TV is super weird and has a native resolution of 1366x768. Is there any way I can set the AppleTV to specifically that? Everything is just a tiny bit fuzzy at 720p.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

cbirdsong posted:

My TV is very common and has a native resolution of 1366x768. Is there any way I can set the AppleTV to specifically that? Everything is just a tiny bit fuzzy at 720p.

Fixed that for you :)

And I don't believe you can set the apple TV to that specific format.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Legdiian posted:

Wow. Just tried this and I'm blown away. My 2009 i7 iMac can easily airplay 1080p mkvs as well as HD flash streams to my atv3 with this. Easily worth the $10.

Edit: works with my boxes box in the other room as well, awesome.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

tonic posted:

Wow. Just tried this and I'm blown away. My 2009 i7 iMac can easily airplay 1080p mkvs as well as HD flash streams to my atv3 with this. Easily worth the $10.

Edit: works with my boxes box in the other room as well, awesome.

i7 is pretty much designed for doing stuff like this though :v:

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Ill give that airparrot a try when I get home, thanks for the help.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if there is any way to increase XBMC's buffer size when streaming? Because of how my place is laid out, I have to rely on wireless and the ATV doesn't get the best connection ever (fluctuates between a 5-10 Mbps sustained download), so I often get buffering pauses.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
If I remember right, there's an entry you can make in the advancedsetting.xml file that can increase it. You should be able to find it (and where to create the file) on the XBMC wiki.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Legdiian posted:

I had a great time with this for about a week, then suddenly the audio got jacked up on me. Everything comes out on the tv slow (voices get deeper) then it skips every few seconds to catch up. It's been a week and their support team only replied once to ask for a log file.

It works amazingly when it works, but if it doesn't their support isn't too impressive.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Just wanna thank this thread for all its input because I just got an Apple TV and am loving it. :)

Smooth and pretty right out of the box. It blew my mind when I realized I could select the ATV as "speakers" when using iTunes on my laptop. Synced audio between the bedroom and living room now, without actually wiring stuff throughout the house, is pretty :black101:. Also even though I use the Harmony remote, the iPhone remote is an amazing tool. I use the Harmony for basic operation, and the iPhone for text entry or scrub-scrolling in a video. It's wonderful. :allears:

Pieces
Jan 25, 2011

zelah posted:

I had a great time with this for about a week, then suddenly the audio got jacked up on me. Everything comes out on the tv slow (voices get deeper) then it skips every few seconds to catch up. It's been a week and their support team only replied once to ask for a log file.

It works amazingly when it works, but if it doesn't their support isn't too impressive.

Are you running the PC version? I find airplaying with airvideo server works much better than running from my PC. I get little audio skips all the time as well that just make things rather annoying. Hopefully we'll see some good updates to bring our features in line with the mac version in the near future.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
It's about time I get one of these, but I'm wary of it for the same reason I don't use my XBOX as much as I used to - lovely wireless reception. My TV is downstairs on the left side of the house, the router is upstairs on the right, and I guess between them I have a lead ceiling? Too many times I've tried to stream movies from my upstairs computer and gotten nothing but lovely quality or it just fails completely. I'm just wondering if the aTV's wireless receiver is any better than the XBOX's (my xbox is older, so I've got the add-on wifi antenna, not the built-in).

Also, at apple's site I see things like Refurbed apple TV with 160gb hard drive - I thought these didn't have any hard disk space? Or is this a first generation one? I like the idea of having an external drive with all my movies that I can plug into it, but I guess I can't do that?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

jackpot posted:

Also, at apple's site I see things like Refurbed apple TV with 160gb hard drive - I thought these didn't have any hard disk space? Or is this a first generation one? I like the idea of having an external drive with all my movies that I can plug into it, but I guess I can't do that?
That's the first generation, yeah. There's no local storage option for aTV 2s or 3s, you can only access your stuff through a network.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
I have a jailbroken Apple TV running ATV Flash and love it, but would like to have a better setup for playing a large collection of MP3s on my main PC. The collection is not handled through ITunes and I would strongly prefer to avoid having to use ITunes to do this (longtime MediaMonkey user).

Is there a recommended setup or workaround to being able to shuffle by genre, for example, by a non-Apple application? I use atvFlash's media player and/or XBMC for video content; is XBMC the way to go for music as well? I haven't played with it too much but it seems much better suited/designed for video content.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
XBMC has always been my go to for playing MP3s. The Library mode is tremendous but I have had some issues with some thumbnails. Import in your collection and try it out.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Parlett316 posted:

XBMC has always been my go to for playing MP3s. The Library mode is tremendous but I have had some issues with some thumbnails. Import in your collection and try it out.
Yeah, this was a snap to set up, and is better than what I had before (jackshit), thanks :).

Follow-up question: my collection is organized in folders by genre; possible to shuffle by folder? I can only seem to shuffle one album at a time. Can this be done via an addon etc, something that brings more flexibility to the player, allowing shuffle by artist or genre, instead of just at the album level?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Just a heads up, Fry's Electronics has the Apple TV for $79 w/ free HDMI cable today only in-store.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

rivetz posted:

Yeah, this was a snap to set up, and is better than what I had before (jackshit), thanks :).

Follow-up question: my collection is organized in folders by genre; possible to shuffle by folder? I can only seem to shuffle one album at a time. Can this be done via an addon etc, something that brings more flexibility to the player, allowing shuffle by artist or genre, instead of just at the album level?

Try Party Mode. I think that's the full shuffle mode.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
So is XBMC (on the ATV) usually poo poo at streaming via WIFI? I thought it was just a signal problem, but I have it about 10ft from the router now, with the computer which has the file hooked up to the router via Ethernet, but the ATV never seems to pull more than 3-5mbps, which leads to pretty much constant buffering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

So is XBMC (on the ATV) usually poo poo at streaming via WIFI? I thought it was just a signal problem, but I have it about 10ft from the router now, with the computer which has the file hooked up to the router via Ethernet, but the ATV never seems to pull more than 3-5mbps, which leads to pretty much constant buffering.

Wireless N?

• Locked thread