Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Anybody know which episode has Adam's yenta rant? He was upset that his girlfriends friends were telling her about Adam flirting with guests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I'm pretty sure I've heard that very rant, like all of Adam's, in more than one episode. Probably much more.

Instrumedley
Aug 13, 2009

BrokenCycle posted:

It appears that Simone has left the show :(

And this is a bad thing?

Edit:

They're going to half have rotating female cohosts now :doh:

Instrumedley fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 14, 2012

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

I just had to share this episode, Adam stops the show about halfway through to do karaoke:

http://www.lovelinetapes.com/shows/?id=2817&h=YmZhOGYwNWI

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Instrumedley posted:

And this is a bad thing?

Edit:

They're going to half rotating female cohosts now :doh:

Holy gently caress, she's gone-gone? Best news I've heard from that show in 2 years. The love between Dr. Drew and (insert Psycho Mike or Adam here) is the best guest. If they would get back on track to where they were two years ago when Mike first started, I'd start listening regularly again.

BrokenCycle
Nov 15, 2004

A Rough Job, But...
Well I actually liked Simone.

This new girl is kinda bad, though. Her advice is really one-dimensional and she comes across as unrealistic sometimes.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
Do we know why Simone got the axe?

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
It wasn't just Simone being awful that has taken the show downhill, it was the whole shift after Westwood nOne merged with dial global (or whatever happened). Yea, Simone on her own wasn't awful in small doses but after they brought her on full time, it just became too much. Her coming signaled the end of all the "fun" the show had and it then became more of a serious advice show rather than a humorous advice show. As I've stated a million times, Catherwood was more on par with Adam from a comedic approach. His characters were just awesome (Rudy, Gene, Manny, Spencer) and he wasn't afraid to gently caress around with people. Anderson still played drops and guests were there for the duration of the show and not just the first half. There was no format, no rules. Anything went. That's how it should be. That's what Loveline was to me. Ya never knew what was gonna come up. The show has since become, stale, sterile and predictable. It's like the movie "Big" with Tom Hanks. They had such a good time just being "kids" that somewhere along the way, Tom Hanks took things too seriously and his life became miserable until his best friend called him out on it. The show has slowly been bleeding to death the past two years on it's way to a slow and painful death. If they don't take advantage of her departure and return to a proven format that has kept the show alive for the pervious 30+ years, then I fear the end is near.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

IceLicker posted:

It wasn't just Simone being awful that has taken the show downhill, it was the whole shift after Westwood nOne merged with dial global (or whatever happened). Yea, Simone on her own wasn't awful in small doses but after they brought her on full time, it just became too much. Her coming signaled the end of all the "fun" the show had and it then became more of a serious advice show rather than a humorous advice show. As I've stated a million times, Catherwood was more on par with Adam from a comedic approach. His characters were just awesome (Rudy, Gene, Manny, Spencer) and he wasn't afraid to gently caress around with people. Anderson still played drops and guests were there for the duration of the show and not just the first half. There was no format, no rules. Anything went. That's how it should be. That's what Loveline was to me. Ya never knew what was gonna come up. The show has since become, stale, sterile and predictable. It's like the movie "Big" with Tom Hanks. They had such a good time just being "kids" that somewhere along the way, Tom Hanks took things too seriously and his life became miserable until his best friend called him out on it. The show has slowly been bleeding to death the past two years on it's way to a slow and painful death. If they don't take advantage of her departure and return to a proven format that has kept the show alive for the pervious 30+ years, then I fear the end is near.

She is a looooooooooooooovvve doctor, not a real doctor.

Drew has changed as well, and Adam has evolved into what he predicted he would become. So there is no "bring the old crew back".

Only Anderson has really seems the same to me.

Perhaps Mike and some new young whipped doctor would work. But they would likely want some edgy guy, not realizing Drew's straight-faced squareness is what made the balance perfect.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

CatchrNdRy posted:

Perhaps Mike and some new young whipped doctor would work. But they would likely want some edgy guy, not realizing Drew's straight-faced squareness is what made the balance perfect.

You know what I like about you guys? It's like YOU, you're the funny and guy and, like, YOU, your Mr. Serious doctor type guy.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
Having never been to southern California I decided to look at it on google maps and I was surprised. I had always assumed places like Bakersfield, Oxnard, Santa Barbara, Riverside, etc. etc. were suburbs of LA. But maybe some of those ARE considered suburbs? In satellite view it's hard to tell where one ends and the next begins.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

LA isn't really a city so much as a collection of medium size cities that have all grown into each other and formed one endless strip mall.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
It was very difficult for me (Minnesota) to fully comprehend greater-LAs layout until I drove through it on a cross country trip.

Imagine a city built in a heavily varied grid of valleys. The cities are forcably individuated by this geography leading to incredible sprawl. Riverside is a solid hour at moderate freeway speed from Huntington Beach which is easily 30 minutes at freeway speed from downtown.

And that doesn't include the city street infrastructure. It takes 20-25 minutes to get to from the Huntington Beach exit to the pier (not including parking).

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

I live in Ontario, Canada. I've never been into the US farther than Detroit but I feel like I know the name of every city and county in California thanks to Loveline.

Alhambra checkin' in at 79 degrees, slow and go on the 405 mattress in lane. Overturned tractor-trailer on the Slauson cutoff.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer
There was a great moment I'm trying to find where Drew and Adam started arguing over the location of 2 areas. Pasadena and Santa Monica I think. They went on to pointing in different directions, Drew started trying to draw a map, and finally during a break they went outside to the parking lot to get their direction... while having their hands pointed where they thought wherever was, through halls, doors, and stairwells.

Lots of pointing and hand-gestures make for great radio.

edit - It was a night with no guest, about halfway in, probably around 2003-2004. I feel like it was really close to the night they tried to mic the security guard.

Rack fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 17, 2012

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Rack posted:

There was a great moment I'm trying to find where Drew and Adam started arguing over the location of 2 areas. Pasadena and Santa Monica I think. They went on to pointing in different directions, Drew started trying to draw a map, and finally during a break they went outside to the parking lot to get their direction... while having their hands pointed where they thought wherever was, through halls, doors, and stairwells.

Lots of pointing and hand-gestures make for great radio.

edit - It was a night with no guest, about halfway in, probably around 2003-2004. I feel like it was really close to the night they tried to mic the security guard.

I listened to this episode last week but couldn't tell you when it was, sorry.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
The other thing about Los Angeles is there are so many cities in the Los Angeles area that residents aren't even aware of. I remember when they had to go to some event in Yorba Linda and Adam kept shouting, "I've never even heard of Yorba Linda! Where the hell is it? Why do they keep sending us further and further away? Are they going to have us going to Temecula next?"

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
Cudahy is the best because it's fun to say.

Cudahy, checking innnnn!

MrDoDo
Jun 27, 2004

You better remember quick before we haul your sweet ass down to the precinct.

BrokenCycle posted:

It appears that Simone has left the show :downsbravo:

I fixed your emoticon for you

MrDoDo fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Nov 18, 2012

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
The most useful thing I took away from listening every night in high school is immediately picking up on dying smoke alarms and knowing right away that whoever lives in that house is loving retarded.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Long Francesco posted:

The most useful thing I took away from listening every night in high school is immediately picking up on dying smoke alarms and knowing right away that whoever lives in that house is loving retarded.
I heard a beep on a podcast last month and nobody mentioned it throughout a 40 minute phone call.

e: Loveline also taught me to make my own cranberry sauce.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

I have become the go-to cranberry sauce guy for about three families every Thanksgiving because of Loveline. People love it!

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

CaptainViolence posted:

I have become the go-to cranberry sauce guy for about three families every Thanksgiving because of Loveline. People love it!

I made it this year as Adam prescribed. Also, apparently Catherwood is engaged to Bianca Kajlich.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Bitches ain't s---, but ho's and tricks, suck on these balls and lick on this... deeeeeeeeeek

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
I always laugh when Adam promotes the guest during a serious call.

Caller: I got AIDS when I was molested and raped when I was 10 years old...

Adam: Will Sasso here promoting Less Than Perfect. Funny funny man.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Ez posted:

Bitches ain't s---, but ho's and tricks, suck on these balls and lick on this... deeeeeeeeeek

One day my grandfather sat me down to teach me the mysteries of women. And he sang to me this song:

Whooooooo
knows what goes on in the Ole Vagina
the ole Vagina
the ole Vagina
Who knows what goes on in the Ole Vagina

I sure the hell don't!

Hormones
May 9, 2009

IceLicker posted:

I made it this year as Adam prescribed. Also, apparently Catherwood is engaged to Bianca Kajlich.

Yes! His instagram photos of them together are delightful!

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

CatchrNdRy posted:

One day my grandfather sat me down to teach me the mysteries of women. And he sang to me this song:

Whooooooo
knows what goes on in the Ole Vagina
the ole Vagina
the ole Vagina
Who knows what goes on in the Ole Vagina

I sure the hell don't!

I know what goes on in the old vagina, that's why I host the show!

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
completely random and obscure thing I noticed: Adam thinks that Pepperidge Farms is pronounced "Petridge Farms"

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

vote_no posted:

I know what goes on in the old vagina, that's why I host the show!

That's why you make the big bucks!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Riptor posted:

completely random and obscure thing I noticed: Adam thinks that Pepperidge Farms is pronounced "Petridge Farms"

This is probably like my dad referring to Seinfeld as "Steinfeld" even though I'm pretty sure he knows the difference. It's part laziness, part enjoyment of people getting bent out of shape because they're too anal to let it go.

Brice
Jul 23, 2006
Is It Bad to Get Cheese in Open Cuts?
Does anyone else love the few instances of Dr.Drews Fantasy Answers? Maybe point some out to me? They have always been one of my favorites when I hear them, but I can never recall the dates.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Does anyone have a clip of the gag where they play theme songs for how Adam thinks he looks and how he actually looks? It's some dopey slide whistle and kazoo based song.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Does anyone have a clip of the gag where they play theme songs for how Adam thinks he looks and how he actually looks? It's some dopey slide whistle and kazoo based song.

This one is a little shorter than normal, but it's still great.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Rack posted:

This one is a little shorter than normal, but it's still great.

Thank you! This is always one of my favourite gags, the music just has me in tears every time.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I like this one, the guests really get a kick out of it too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm1i4PKdX84

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

John Cho and Kal Penn have to easily be the best non-regular guests they've ever had.

Hormones
May 9, 2009

Jubs posted:

John Cho and Kal Penn have to easily be the best non-regular guests they've ever had.

dates? :)

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

July 29, 2004

January 20, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Andrew WK was terrific. Seemed to try and help the callers, but also had a sense of humour about Adam's approach.

• Locked thread