Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I'd been struggling to get through the Eye of the World, I'd read a bit more than half of it over 3-4 months. I've read it so many times before it was just a slog. Kept reading a chapter or two then putting it down for a while. Then I hit chapter 35 (Caemlyn) and the excitement all came back to me. Polished off another 24% of the book today, and I'm going to have keep that pace up to reread the series in time for the next book. I can do it!

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Just noticed something while finishing Eye of the World

Looks like Moraine has Aviendha's special talent, that or Jordan hadn't fully decided how channeling would work.

quote:

Moiraine opened her eyes and started down the hill. “For me to remove the last vestige of what I did here last night. The residues would have dissipated on their own in a day, but I will not take any risk I can avoid now. We are too close, and the Shadow is too strong here. Lan?”

Jordan, Robert (2009-10-24). The Eye of the World: Book One of 'The Wheel of Time' (p. 616). Macmillan. Kindle Edition.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Pertaining to above: With the amount of "Hidden talents" in the tower, it is entirely possible that tons of Aes Sedai know how to "untie" their weaves, or whatever it's called. Just think about when the girls are in Salidar rediscovering all those lost talents and they mention that some of the other Aes Sedai catch on so quickly that it's clear they already knew how to do it. Just because certain things are officially lost, or against tower policy doesn't mean they are actually lost or gone.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I think some of it, too, is that some of the more uptight Aes Sedai are really hidebound when it comes to how the power is used. Moiraine seems like the kind of person who would do whatever it takes to get the job done, even if it involves doing something dangerous like picking apart a weave, ESPECIALLY when she's deep in enemy territory and who the hell knows what might be able to sniff out what she's been doing and track her. Even if she can't see residues, she might know that they exist and would have learned how to negate that kind of advantage.

Meanwhile, when Nynaeve discovers how to Healing Stilling (From many books ago but I'd still rather not say because it is pretty big), even the Yellows are berating her because THAT'S NOT HOW IT'S DONE. Well, the reason you never discovered it before is because you were so set in your ways you wouldn't have found it in a million years!

Not only that, but even in the tower Aes Sedai seem really hesitant to let slip any single advantage they have. In earlier books it was mentioned that not everyone knows how to eavesdrop with the power, even though it seems like such a basic thing. It's possible that the ability to see residues might be something one can learn if you know it can even be done, but since nobody ever talks about it nobody will ever think to try.

Gus Hobbleton fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 20, 2012

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
May want to fix your spoiler tag there guy, although everyone ITT should be up to that point anyway.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Now what did Moraine mean by that? I was under the impression she knew nothing of his and Perrin's destiny.

Another 150+ pages down. I'm loving it, but drat is that going to be grueling over the next six weeks.

quote:

Mat lay with his eyes closed and his face pale, but his chest rose and fell in the even rhythm of a deep sleep. How will this affect matters? Moiraine wondered. He is not necessary with the Horn gone, and yet. . . .

Jordan, Robert (2009-11-11). The Great Hunt: Book Two of 'The Wheel of Time' (p. 102). Macmillan. Kindle Edition.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
At that point she was only concerned with finding the Dragon, and Rand had already channeled. Mat (and Perrin) were just two more ta'veren she found by accident, so according to her original plans they were just a bonus. I believe the "And yet..." was her thinking, "Hey, maybe finding three ta'veren in one spot is more than just coincidence, and they're all important."

At least, I'm pretty sure she knew they were ta'veren by that point, otherwise why would she have taken those three?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

At that point she was only concerned with finding the Dragon, and Rand had already channeled. Mat (and Perrin) were just two more ta'veren she found by accident, so according to her original plans they were just a bonus. I believe the "And yet..." was her thinking, "Hey, maybe finding three ta'veren in one spot is more than just coincidence, and they're all important."

At least, I'm pretty sure she knew they were ta'veren by that point, otherwise why would she have taken those three?

She knows they're ta'veren, I'm wondering why she connects him and the horn.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Moiraine's original plan was to send Rand, Mat, and Perrin together to Illian with the Horn, to rally the Illianers behind him. The obvious answer is that this is what she meant.

Moiraine does not admit (that she knows) that the Dragon Reborn may well be inextricably tied to the other two ta'veren until some time later, I believe. She is a woman of many secrets, so that might not mean much--she could well have known that Mat and Perrin would still be of utmost importance even with the identity of the Dragon Reborn known. Or she might not have.

On the other hand apparently the Horn of Valere doesn't actually show up in the Karaethon Cycle proper. So it's hard to see what she might know and when she might have known it already by.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
It seems likely that she has some less verified prophetic accounts that she is working on in relation to Tarmon Gaidon. While the Dragon is of course the centerpiece, she'd want to have other factors in hand as well.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
This foreshadowing made me giggle.

So many great lines like that in these early books.

quote:

“I’m not Aiel, Lord Barthanes, and I’m not of the royal line, either.”

Jordan, Robert (2009-11-11). The Great Hunt: Book Two of 'The Wheel of Time' (p. 464). Macmillan. Kindle Edition.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Nov 21, 2012

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Chapter 37 What Might Be of the Great Hunt is just great. In fact all the chapters with recurring time, in the past through other eyes, in the future, or in ter'angreal rings is fantastic. I'm not sure what it is but Jordan was excellent at writing these things and giving them emotional heft and impact.

Even Brandon Sanderson in Towers of Midnight did great in Aviendha's 2nd trip through the glass pillars of Rhuiden

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

Chapter 37 What Might Be of the Great Hunt is just great. In fact all the chapters with recurring time, in the past through other eyes, in the future, or in ter'angreal rings is fantastic. I'm not sure what it is but Jordan was excellent at writing these things and giving them emotional heft and impact.

Even Brandon Sanderson in Towers of Midnight did great in Aviendha's 2nd trip through the glass pillars of Rhuiden

I'm pretty sure that part was pre-written by Jordan, Brandon just had to clean it up. It was one of the core scenes Jordan wanted done before he pased. And it is a fantastic scene.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Mega Black Ajah spoilersOn the Gray Man that was found by Nyneave and Egwene in TDR Sheriam says

You will speak of this to none but me, or to the Amyrlin, should she mention it first.”
The Dragon Reborn: (p. 144).

Given that Sheriam is Black, the wording is very telling. I don't think I ever realized this before, but I'm sure she never told the Amyrlin.

I'm rereading the whole series for the 1st time since reading TGS and TOM and I'm seeing so many interesting things said by Verin and Sheriam.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Charlz Guybon posted:

Mega Black Ajah spoilersOn the Gray Man that was found by Nyneave and Egwene in TDR Sheriam says

You will speak of this to none but me, or to the Amyrlin, should she mention it first.”
The Dragon Reborn: (p. 144).

Given that Sheriam is Black, the wording is very telling. I don't think I ever realized this before, but I'm sure she never told the Amyrlin.

I'm rereading the whole series for the 1st time since reading TGS and TOM and I'm seeing so many interesting things said by Verin and Sheriam.

Don't the wondergirls ask Siuan Sanche about the investigation into the gray man later anyway?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

api call girl posted:

Don't the wondergirls ask Siuan Sanche about the investigation into the gray man later anyway?
It seems I remembered this wrong, it's been a few years since I read the early books. A quick look at Encylopedia WoT shows that the Amyrlin tells them that Sheriam finds another Gray Man in her bed. Obviously, that means she was told about the first.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Man, I loved these books in high school and then didn't touch them again for years. I figured I better reread them this year in time for the final book to come out, but I kept putting it off. The first week of October I realized that I wanted to do this I had roughly one week per book. So... I've been powering through in my spare time. Just hit book 9.

I could have sworn that I read Knife of Dreams, but a quick glance at the wikipedia summary makes me think I never got around to it, so 10 was my last book.

Passing thoughts:

Enjoying the reread a lot more then I thought I would. I think 8-9-10 burned me out of the series and I kinda looked down on it as a high school thing, but I'm having fun.

Not a fan of how two random characters are introduced out of nowhere and start hunting down the black ajah in the tower. This really, somehow, should have been being done by the wondergirls or other main characters.

The spanking really took off in book 7/8 or so, didn't it? It really, literally, seems like not a single chapter can go by without someone either being switched/spanked, being threatened with switching/spanking, or thinking that someone else could really use a switching/spanking. I didn't really notice it so when I was a kid, and in the early books it's pretty invisible, but I amazed Jordan's editor at Tor didn't sit him down for a little talk about all the spanking.

Back in the day I never bought Egwene as Amyrlin Seat. Still don't. Even with Siune's advice... no. The reasoning behind it was never convincing.

I remember the endless captivity of Faile as my least favorite part of the series, so I'm hoping to get through it quickly. It's funny how some of the really long parts seem much quicker on a reread. In my memory the hunt for the bowl in Ebou Dar took 2+ books and draaaaaaged, but it really went by quite quickly in my reread.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Fintilgin posted:

Man, I loved these books in high school and then didn't touch them again for years. I figured I better reread them this year in time for the final book to come out, but I kept putting it off. The first week of October I realized that I wanted to do this I had roughly one week per book. So... I've been powering through in my spare time. Just hit book 9.

I could have sworn that I read Knife of Dreams, but a quick glance at the wikipedia summary makes me think I never got around to it, so 10 was my last book.

Passing thoughts:

Enjoying the reread a lot more then I thought I would. I think 8-9-10 burned me out of the series and I kinda looked down on it as a high school thing, but I'm having fun.

Not a fan of how two random characters are introduced out of nowhere and start hunting down the black ajah in the tower. This really, somehow, should have been being done by the wondergirls or other main characters.

The spanking really took off in book 7/8 or so, didn't it? It really, literally, seems like not a single chapter can go by without someone either being switched/spanked, being threatened with switching/spanking, or thinking that someone else could really use a switching/spanking. I didn't really notice it so when I was a kid, and in the early books it's pretty invisible, but I amazed Jordan's editor at Tor didn't sit him down for a little talk about all the spanking.

Back in the day I never bought Egwene as Amyrlin Seat. Still don't. Even with Siune's advice... no. The reasoning behind it was never convincing.

I remember the endless captivity of Faile as my least favorite part of the series, so I'm hoping to get through it quickly. It's funny how some of the really long parts seem much quicker on a reread. In my memory the hunt for the bowl in Ebou Dar took 2+ books and draaaaaaged, but it really went by quite quickly in my reread.

Robert Jordan was married to his editor. And corporal punishment as the default would have been the norm in any pre modern society.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Well you're just going to have to get over that.

Fintilgin posted:

I don't remember this part. Who were they again?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I think Elaida gave them the job? First one sister and then her... red? Friend got in on it too. They captured some black and used the oath rod to "turn her" to their cause.

Not sure if that arc had any point, what with Egwene getting the info on the Blacks from another source entirely.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

AreYouStillThere posted:

I don't remember this part. Who were they again?

Pevara and the other one.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Just read chapter 32 of tDR and noticed Rand having prophetic dreams about Nyneave, Egwene and Elayne with regards to their upcoming trips to Tear.

I didn't remember Rand having this particular talent, though perhaps it's not too surprising given that he figures out how to enter Tar' in the flesh later on. Too bad we don't see many more such, but I suppose they might be too obvious. Or perhaps he has the talent only weakly.

EDIT: The end of chapter 36 has one Rand's most unstable moments in the first six books. The Merchant was almost certainly a darkfriend since a gray man traveled with her, but the way he just killed them all immediately made it seem like he would have killed anyone who happened upon him out there (it didn't seem like he sensed the gray man), and the rearranging the bodies to bow to him... You could already see him on the road to crazy town.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 24, 2012

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Charlz Guybon posted:

Just read chapter 32 of tDR and noticed Rand having prophetic dreams about Nyneave, Egwene and Elayne with regards to their upcoming trips to Tear.

I didn't remember Rand having this particular talent, though perhaps it's not too surprising given that he figures out how to enter Tar' in the flesh later on. Too bad we don't see many more such, but I suppose they might be too obvious. Or perhaps he has the talent only weakly.

Or it's Be'lal taunting him in his dreams. Either is likely.

quote:

EDIT: The end of chapter 36 has one Rand's most unstable moments in the first six books. The Merchant was almost certainly a darkfriend since a gray man traveled with her, but the way he just killed them all immediately made it seem like he would have killed anyone who happened upon him out there (it didn't seem like he sensed the gray man), and the rearranging the bodies to bow to him... You could already see him on the road to crazy town.

He tries to kill either Perrin or Egwene as they happened upon him in their Dreaming, so yeah he's just that paranoid. Though he probably did sense the Gray Man to some extent.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Also I note he figures out how to go to T'A'R not through Dreaming but through Travelling, so that's no indication of any kind of Dreaming Talent, which I don't think he has.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

api call girl posted:

He tries to kill either Perrin or Egwene as they happened upon him in their Dreaming, so yeah he's just that paranoid. Though he probably did sense the Gray Man to some extent.

I know, but that was in Tar' which makes it understandable. The kill everyone I meet on the road at night, and line up their bodies bowing a little less so. Though of course the Gray Man makes it acceptable.

First week of the reread surge completed. I've read from the beginning of chapter 35 of The Eye of the World to the end of Chapter 39 of The Dragon Reborn. That's 1283 pages, 183.285 pages per day, with a low of 150 and a high of 220. Is there somewhere I can find how many pages the prologues hold? I'm reading on kindle, and they're not listed. It's throwing of my stats.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Nov 25, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Charlz Guybon posted:

Yeah, that's one of the darkest moments in the entire series. It's also the point that sparks the whole "not going to kill a woman" thing.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Like has been said before, that scene was probably written when Jordan planned to end the series sooner.

I'm not sorry it's in there though. It really is one of the more memorable scenes in the entire series.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I didn't hear about that. Did Jordan plan on ending it after three books or something?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Gus Hobbleton posted:

I didn't hear about that. Did Jordan plan on ending it after three books or something?

Originally Eye of the World was written as an open ended stand alone title, which then got signed on for a trilogy. Which sold so well it became a hextology. Which ensnared such a large fixed fanbase RJ just started writing however the gently caress much he could until his death.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Well it's not entirely unplanned as I recall, he wrote Eye of the World and the first three with room for expansion, and hooks to connect to if it did work out.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.

Willie Tomg posted:

Originally Eye of the World was written as an open ended stand alone title, which then got signed on for a trilogy. Which sold so well it became a hextology. Which ensnared such a large fixed fanbase RJ just started writing however the gently caress much he could until his death.

The Wheel of Time was pitched as a trilogy, and the original contract was for six books. The Eye of the World was never a stand alone title.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
The first reference to the Eelfinn, I don't think the game Snakes and Foxes has even been mentioned yet, odd.

quote:

Egwene tried reading, but neither the essays, nor The Travels of Jain Farstrider, nor the humorous tales of Aleria Elffin could hold her interest for more than a few pages.

The Dragon Reborn (p. 485).

EDIT: Ha! The first Inn Mat goes to in Tear is owned by Cavan Lopar. That's what those big bodyguard monsters the Seanchan use are called. The hairless ones, bigger than a bear with long, thick arms and legs.

Seems like Jordan hadn't thought up names for some things yet.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Nov 25, 2012

Chaos Sonic
Apr 5, 2007

api call girl posted:

Also I note he figures out how to go to T'A'R not through Dreaming but through Travelling, so that's no indication of any kind of Dreaming Talent, which I don't think he has.

Didn't he figure that out by reading the residues of Ishamael's portal there at the end of tDR? If I remember correctly, he didn't learn Traveling for another two books, after capturing Asmodean.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

The first reference to the Eelfinn, I don't think the game Snakes and Foxes has even been mentioned yet, odd.

I don't remember that. What chapter is it? Page numbers are meaningless, they change from edition to edition.

quote:

EDIT: Ha! The first Inn Mat goes to in Tear is owned by Cavan Lopar. That's what those big bodyguard monsters the Seanchan use are called. The hairless ones, bigger than a bear with long, thick arms and legs.

Seems like Jordan hadn't thought up names for some things yet.

Yeah, it's not like there's anyone named after an animal in real life.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Jedit posted:

I don't remember that. What chapter is it? Page numbers are meaningless, they change from edition to edition.

Yeah, it's not like there's anyone named after an animal in real life.

A Storm in Tear, but that's all it says. Nothing else to it.

It's not really the same, since no one on the side of the Ocean has ever heard of Lopar. If he was from Seanchan it would make sense. His name is the same by chance. It happens between different languages, but in books things are usually planned out. And perhaps this was, the innkeeper was big fat dude.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

It's not really the same, since no one on the side of the Ocean has ever heard of Lopar. If he was from Seanchan it would make sense.

It also makes sense that since Hawkwing's colonists were discovering new animals, they'd name them in their own language. The animal's name probably comes from the same route as the man's.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Charlz Guybon posted:

A Storm in Tear, but that's all it says. Nothing else to it.

It's not really the same, since no one on the side of the Ocean has ever heard of Lopar. If he was from Seanchan it would make sense. His name is the same by chance. It happens between different languages, but in books things are usually planned out. And perhaps this was, the innkeeper was big fat dude.

Then again, what are the odds of EVERYONE they meet have a unique snowflake name that no one else got?

No Johns or Smiths as far as the eye can see.

It's the usual book convention (because well, it's hard enough to keep track of all the names as is), but it gets pretty funny in gigantic series like this.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pimpmust posted:

Then again, what are the odds of EVERYONE they meet have a unique snowflake name that no one else got?

No Johns or Smiths as far as the eye can see.

Two Joiyas, though.

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!
On another topic, I'm on book 13 now, and I still hate Elayne chapters. Everyone else has gotten tolerable, but Elayne makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

So here's my sick, twisted question:

If someone balefired Elayne a few seconds after she gave birth to her babies, what would happen to the babies?

Please please balefire Elayne soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Just read the first 14 chapters of The Shadow Rising, my favorite WoT book, my favorite fantasy novel. It's just so drat good.

The Stone Stands! :black101:

• Locked thread