Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Might be better suited for SH/SC, but does anyone know why it's so hard to remove the "shortcut arrow" in Windows Vista/7?

IIRC, it was a (somewhat tricky) to find option in 2000/XP, but you unchecked it, and none of the shortcuts on your desktop had that annoying icon in the lower left corner.

For someone reason the other day I was finally annoyed with them again and looked to get rid of them. I didn't see the option anywhere, so I looked online and now it requires a third party program to remove them, or I can do it manually by editing the registry myself.

What gives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

Might be better suited for SH/SC, but does anyone know why it's so hard to remove the "shortcut arrow" in Windows Vista/7?

IIRC, it was a (somewhat tricky) to find option in 2000/XP, but you unchecked it, and none of the shortcuts on your desktop had that annoying icon in the lower left corner.

For someone reason the other day I was finally annoyed with them again and looked to get rid of them. I didn't see the option anywhere, so I looked online and now it requires a third party program to remove them, or I can do it manually by editing the registry myself.

What gives?

In Windows 98 up through I think XP there was a utility from Microsoft called TweakUI that would do this amongst many other useful things, but I don't see anything comparable for Windows 7, at least not official tools. There are some things that look like they may do the same thing, so maybe one of them would suffice. If not I think I'd ask in the Windows thread in sh/sc, someone there will probably know for sure.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

spixxor posted:

Well I didn't really want to get all EN, but long story short I was in the process of breaking it off with a guy I've been with for ten years and he just told me he's got kidney failure and has had to have dialysis (supposedly during a period a few months back when we were seperated) He's got a long history of lying and manipulating people, so I'm trying to figure out if there's any way to find out if what he says is true.

Even if it was true, he's been with you ten years and didn't tell you something as major as this until you said you were breaking it off?

Yeah, dump that man.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Baron Bifford posted:

Human beings have a tendency to believe that other people think like they do. A person think somebody's odd behavior is due to unusual circumstances or misinformation, when in fact that somebody has a fundamentally different psychology, is driven by emotions and impulses that he does not share with the observer. You can see this sort of thing when you read a newspaper story about some grisly murderer or rapist and people ask "How can people do such things? I could never imagine doing them myself!"

What is the scientific term for this error in judgment?

egocentrism, I think?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Egocentrism means caring only for your own interests and ideas. What I'm talking about is the common failure to consider that other people might think and feel in profoundly different ways. When we try to figure out somebody else's thinking, we use our own mind as a base model, then modify it to fit the other guy's behavior ("that guy is like me, except he has a shorter temper"). Most people do not modify it enough out of mental laziness. We often do not take the time to fully study and test the other guy's character and only modify our image of him when he behaves in an unexpected way.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 24, 2012

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Baron Bifford posted:

Egocentrism means caring only for your own interests and ideas. What I'm talking about is the common failure to consider that other people might think and feel in profoundly different ways. When we try to figure out somebody else's thinking, we use our own mind as a base model, then modify it to fit the other guy's behavior ("that guy is like me, except he has a shorter temper"). Most people do not modify it enough out of mental laziness. We often do not take the time to fully study and test the other guy's character and only modify our image of him when he behaves in an unexpected way.

It's not mental laziness at all, there's just no way to actually get a working mental model of someone else's brain.

I don't know the scientific term but in layman's terms, it's "putting your head on someone else's shoulders".

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Baron Bifford posted:

Empathy?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Baron Bifford posted:

Pretty sure that's it exactly.

quote:

Egocentric people are unable to fully understand or to cope with other people's opinions and the fact that reality can be different from what they are ready to accept.

You mostly see it in young children (My brother's name is jon/jon does not have a brother) but elements of it stay with us into adulthood. Sometimes, though, other people's minds are just too alien to really get into. Otherwise, we'd all be psychologists.

Ne: Or like EW said, a lack of empathy.

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

What gives?

XdN Tweaker has the option to remove the arrow from shortcuts.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Isn't egocentricism a synonym for selfishness? People who are generous and kind have a tendency to believe that other people are fundamentally as good as they are (and thus are often surprised when they run into ruthless predators). When people lack information on a person they tend to fill in the gaps with their own personality traits.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
There's a thing you can do where you take an overhead projector, and project an image on your wall (usually line art or text; photos would be nigh impossible) so you can trace and paint it. Basically, it's for people with no drawing skills whatsoever. What do you call this? I'm having a hard time searching for examples.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I want to record video/audio from a video game and overlay it with some commentary while I play, kind of like or similar to a lets play (so people can watch the game and listen to someone bitch and make fun of the game instead of playing it themselves which I hear is kind of a thing??).

What tools do I need to do such a thing? I already have a mic, I have fraps, but I don't know what else I might need. I'd have the video, but I don't really know how to take it from fraps to a video youtube would accept for 1080p.

I don't mind having to get software that could cost money as long as it's easy to use.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

jackpot posted:

There's a thing you can do where you take an overhead projector, and project an image on your wall (usually line art or text; photos would be nigh impossible) so you can trace and paint it. Basically, it's for people with no drawing skills whatsoever. What do you call this? I'm having a hard time searching for examples.

The magic phrase seems to be "art projector", and less commonly "tracer projector".

I also got a few hits from Google with "projection tracing", including this Instructables project.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Fontoyn posted:

How do those radio credit-card debt consolidation things work? How do these companies manage to profit if they do not charge debtors for their services? If they really reduce the total I would have to pay, why aren't more people abusing this system to rack up debt and scoot out of it? etc.

I don't have any debt or plan to use them, but I've always wondered how they work.

If it's the "credit counseling" services, they basically talk you into stop paying your credit cards all together, and through trickery, make it so that the credit card companies no longer contact you via phone (generally by providing the counseling service as your new number).

They then have you pay an amount every month to them (say, $280), of which $200 goes towards a bank that will pay off your debt, and $80 to the counseling service.

Then, after you've ignored your credit card companies for long enough (generally up to 180 days), they'll negotiate a settlement on the balance with the credit card companies. If they're good, it's about 30-40% of the balance.

So at the end of blah blah blah months, you're debt free. But your credit is still hosed (companies report settlement as a key derogatory), and you've paid a company likely thousands of dollars for doing something you could've done yourself.

If it's actually a debt consolidation thing, it's occasionally what the previous poster said, although the first part of this statement is usually still the case, and the 2nd part is almost always still the case and they're misrepresenting themselves as consolidation.

So to answer your question: people don't do it because it completely fucks your credit for AT LEAST 2-3 years, and when all is said and done, you're lucky if the amount you've settled for + the "counseling fees" are less than your original principal balance.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrgjufJhmwk

Is the song playing in this video (the chromeweblab announcement) a song by someone, or is it just made for the commercial? Because the exhibition lets you make music, I'm having some trouble googling for the answer.

EricBauman fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 25, 2012

cyberbully
Feb 10, 2003

Baron Bifford posted:

Isn't egocentricism a synonym for selfishness? People who are generous and kind have a tendency to believe that other people are fundamentally as good as they are (and thus are often surprised when they run into ruthless predators). When people lack information on a person they tend to fill in the gaps with their own personality traits.
The word that is most related to what you're talking about that I'm aware of is ethnocentrism, describing the same thing you're talking about but for cultural differences. As you're individualizing peoples' behavior to their psychology, you just need to replace ethno- with some other prefix that describes an individual. Ego- works in that sense, although yes that is more commonly used as 'selfish.' People usually just say things like the person is narrow-minded, small-minded, lacks empathy, doesn't understand what it's like, etc. I don't know if the precise definition you're talking about has been established with a word like 'ethnocentric,' but in the right context people would get what you're saying from 'egocentric.'

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Nah, I checked up on it, and it turns out egocentrism really is the word I was looking for. I was confusing it with "egotism".

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 25, 2012

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Victimology is all over the place!
A question about sugar.

A dietician friend of mine recently introduced me to Splenda. I researched it a bit before starting to use it, given the whole debacle with Aspartame. It seems sucralose isn't as controversial (and apparently nothing conclusive was found for Aspartame either).

My question is, if we have this no to low cal alternative to regular sugar, why hasn't everyone gone into a frenzy and replaced it all? Why is normal sugar even sold anymore?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I want to record video/audio from a video game and overlay it with some commentary while I play, kind of like or similar to a lets play (so people can watch the game and listen to someone bitch and make fun of the game instead of playing it themselves which I hear is kind of a thing??).

What tools do I need to do such a thing? I already have a mic, I have fraps, but I don't know what else I might need. I'd have the video, but I don't really know how to take it from fraps to a video youtube would accept for 1080p.

I don't mind having to get software that could cost money as long as it's easy to use.

You might find the answers to your questions in the Let's Play Subforum Tech Support Fort: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486018

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Bloody Mayhem posted:

A question about sugar.

A dietician friend of mine recently introduced me to Splenda. I researched it a bit before starting to use it, given the whole debacle with Aspartame. It seems sucralose isn't as controversial (and apparently nothing conclusive was found for Aspartame either).

My question is, if we have this no to low cal alternative to regular sugar, why hasn't everyone gone into a frenzy and replaced it all? Why is normal sugar even sold anymore?

1. There is not much wrong with aspartame, when used in moderation it's no more dangerous for you than any other foodstuff, artificial or not. Yeah, if you literally shove tubs of the stuff in your mouth you will probably die, but the same will happen with almost everything else, hell, 5 liter waters in an hour can easily kill a person.
2. Sugar is not only used to sweeten stuff. For starters, it plays a big part in the Maillaird reaction, which gives the brown crust you see on baked goods/meat/veggies. Without sugar, it will create a different reaction and the taste will change. Sugar is responsible for almond-like flavour, butter-like flavour, and rum-like flavour in most baked goods. Furthermore it's used for structural purposes in baked goods: for instance cookies get more crunchy if the ratio sugar:carbs:protein is changed to more sugar. If you would use artificial sweetener it would only make stuff more sweet, but not change taste or make stuff crunchy. Sugar is also important for your body, but in moderation, like the amount naturally available in vegetables and fruits.

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 25, 2012

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Bloody Mayhem posted:

A question about sugar.

I personally find the taste of splenda absolutely revolting, and I know a few other people who are the same way. It doesn't have the same properties/flavour as sugar so it's not really a viable alternative for most things.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What seasons of the Simpsons are generally regarded as the funny ones? 3-8ish?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Bloody Mayhem posted:

A question about sugar.

Price. Aspartame doesn't fall out of the sky.

e. This is not an authorative statement, I know nothing about it's synthesis. Also add market inertia to that.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Namarrgon posted:

Price. Aspartame doesn't fall out of the sky.

e. This is not an authorative statement, I know nothing about it's synthesis. Also add market inertia to that.

Aspartame is cheaper compared to sugar for sweetening uses, as it's 200x as sweet, so you need 200 times less aspartame to get the same sweetness compared to sugar. It's the properties of the substances that make the difference: aspartame is destroyed by heat, while sugar reacts under heat to form complex tastes and changes the structure of the foodstuff it's in.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

EricBauman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrgjufJhmwk

Is the song playing in this video (the chromeweblab announcement) a song by someone, or is it just made for the commercial? Because the exhibition lets you make music, I'm having some trouble googling for the answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=911GFmPGJcI?

Pusscat
Apr 1, 2005

What's new, Pusscat?
This is a really stupid question. I've just turned on my netbook and put in the password for the hotel's wi-fi. Now in both chrome and firefox I have this infuriating little grey bar running just under the main website/address toolbar, which is constantly scrolling through news and adverts. It's picking up stuff from Engadget, CBS and all sorts of weird places (useless to me as I'm a Brit, though currently in Argentina).

It's really distracting and I'd like to get rid of it asap - I'm wondering if this is a feed that has somehow installed itself. I can't find it mentioned anywhere in firefox/chrome extensions/settings/task manager.I can right click on it and "Inspect Element/View frame source" but nothing obvious jumps out on how to delete it. On chrome AVG is picking up Comscore Beacon and Google Analytics which is says it has blocked, but the bar is still there.

I've been using the netbook for weeks with no problems. Any suggestions on how to get rid of it??

Thanks so much!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Do you see something weird listed under Add-ons in Firefox or Extensions in Chrome? Anyway, you should run Spybot and Ad-Aware to see if you can get rid of it permanently.

Or it could be that the hotel wifi injects the banner into the HTML for every web page.

e: like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=047r_ihcLwY

axolotl farmer fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 25, 2012

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

NESguerilla posted:

What seasons of the Simpsons are generally regarded as the funny ones? 3-8ish?

It varies on a person's age and when they started watching. For me, seasons 1-12 but I was also born in '90, ymmv.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I'm trying to set up a facebook page for my brand/business and I'm having a terrible time setting the username. For the last two weeks, it's shown my username was available but when I clicked 'confirm' it said "An unknown error has occurred. Please try again later." Now it's telling me that the name is unavailable. :mad: But I can't find anyone using that name either under http://www.facebook.com/mybusinessname or http://www.facebook.com/pages/mybusinessname

Can I find who is using the name somehow? Is the mysterious error due to me having originally set my personal page mybusinessname and then trying to change it? The help center and forums are really no help on this.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Yeah, that's it. Thanks!

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
I have an American friend who wants English tea, but I'm not 100% clear on the rules regarding this. Can you post teabags to America from England? Will he be slapped with customs charges?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Experto Crede posted:

I have an American friend who wants English tea, but I'm not 100% clear on the rules regarding this. Can you post teabags to America from England? Will he be slapped with customs charges?

You can send the teabags. Usually whatever carrier you use to send the items will include necessary customs fees in the price they charge for shipping. Most things sent to the US that aren't part of a business thing (i.e. sending tea to your friend instead of someone importing 5 tons of tea to sell in stores) end up having no customs charges and even when they do for personal stuff it's usually around 3% of the value. So customs charges would be minimal if they even applied, unless you were shipping a full on crate of the stuff.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

greazeball posted:

I'm trying to set up a facebook page for my brand/business and I'm having a terrible time setting the username. For the last two weeks, it's shown my username was available but when I clicked 'confirm' it said "An unknown error has occurred. Please try again later." Now it's telling me that the name is unavailable. :mad: But I can't find anyone using that name either under http://www.facebook.com/mybusinessname or http://www.facebook.com/pages/mybusinessname

Can I find who is using the name somehow? Is the mysterious error due to me having originally set my personal page mybusinessname and then trying to change it? The help center and forums are really no help on this.

Certain names can't be registered without contacting Facebook. We used to have this problem at my old agency working on Honda, we couldn't register anything with "Honda" in the title without actually calling Facebook.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Experto Crede posted:

Do you definitely need to post some from here? I know basic English tea isn't drank by the gallon over there but I'd be surprised if some megastore Walmart wouldn't have a small variety of teas, and "English Tea" isn't one of them. Even if there's a "Breakfast tea", that's basically the same isn't it?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Hoops posted:

Do you definitely need to post some from here? I know basic English tea isn't drank by the gallon over there but I'd be surprised if some megastore Walmart wouldn't have a small variety of teas, and "English Tea" isn't one of them. Even if there's a "Breakfast tea", that's basically the same isn't it?

Basically it's part of a surprise Christmas present so he can't really know until it arrives at his door, hence concern about customs and such :ohdear:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Hoops posted:

You can buy PG Tips and some other kinds at the grocery store, yeah. I guess it's the novelty woah real tea from England thing.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Experto Crede posted:

Basically it's part of a surprise Christmas present so he can't really know until it arrives at his door, hence concern about customs and such :ohdear:

This isn't quite what you were asking, but I've had friends get wrapped tins of loose tea from England before, so I know that's fine at least. Plus it adds to the whole "ooh tea from England" bit -- toss in a tea strainer or something too.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Experto Crede posted:

Probably not. Either way, just fold it into some paper in a normal envelope or a padded envelope like it was any other letter. There are simply way, way too many packages coming into America for anyone to give a drat about some dudes failing to pay taxes on their tea.

The number of people in TCC that have successfully imported drugs from Europe and Asia should tell you that American customs doesn't really give a drat unless you're mailing one-kilogram packages from Columbia covered in suspicious amounts of duct tape. This is not the case for all nations; Australian customs are famously rigorous.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

tarepanda posted:

This isn't quite what you were asking, but I've had friends get wrapped tins of loose tea from England before, so I know that's fine at least. Plus it adds to the whole "ooh tea from England" bit -- toss in a tea strainer or something too.

Yeah, apologies. I just didn't feel the need to overcomplicate the question :downs:

Thanks for the advice either way :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
Stupid Question for ya:

I'm starting up my own website where I want to write opinion posts about whatever I feel like. It's going to be something I want to run on the side as a hobby, but what are some things I need to be careful about in terms of wording things or publishing certain forms of opinions?