Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Delirium Nocturnum is pretty good. Not a Saison, but a dark Belgian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Kudosx posted:

I drank a bottle of 2011 Pepe Nero tonight, and it was my first time trying. I immediately regretted not drinking it side by side a 2012, just because I enjoyed it so much. I'm wondering how different the bottle I drank tonight was vs a fresh bottle.

I haven't drank many Saisons, but this was by far my favorite. It was so incredibly smooth, and the peppercorns gave it a delicious twist. This was my first dark saison, does anyone else know of any others?

Stone just made one called Pefect Crime as a collab.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
^^^^ is a collab with Stillwater, who also makes a few dark saisons (Fokllore, I think, was a good one?). Widmer made W-12 which I liked and might still be around somewhere, and I know there are more that I'm spacing on.

I'm in NC for the weekend so I'm stocking up on some of Lonerider's Sweet Josie and Aviator cans. I also bought way too many bombers of some stuff that I'm very excited about.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I picked up a six pack of Brown Shugga and it was not what I was expecting. Another poster mentioned it, but I expected something a little sweeter and thicker. I got a hoppy taste up front, and the aftertaste was a mixture of sour and a hint of citrusy-ness. I've never had an American Barleywine before. Are they all similar to Brown Shugga?

The person that mentioned the Leinenkugel Snowdrift Vanilla Porter earlier; I had one last weekend and I also thought it was pretty tasty. Not as much vanilla as the Breckenridge Vanilla Porter, more maltyness in the Leinie, but it was a pretty tasty beer. If you liked that one, I'd really recommend the Breckenridge variant. I'll pick up another six pack when I've gone through most of my beer.

My mom had a case of Schlafly Pumpkin Ale sitting in the garage waiting for me to pick it up :hellyeah:

SketchyNick
Oct 15, 2005
Existent is a pretty good dark farmhouse by Stillwater.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Podima posted:

Glad you enjoyed it! I find that when you're drinking hoppy beers, that first initial sip of bitter can really put you off if you're not expecting it and it's what turns a lot of people away from IPAs after being given a taste by a friend/family member. (Also it was probably the ABV for Brown Shugga, that stuff is insidious)

Serving temperature also makes a pretty huge difference in beer flavor (which is why any place that serves craft beer in ICE COLD FROSTED MUGS BRAH should be avoided like the plague). The first time I had Wookey Jack I poured it really cold and it came across as a horrible pine tar bitterness bomb. Gave it 10 minutes to warm up and suddenly all the subtle malt complexity popped and it was totally in balance.

I'm sure the ABV helps a lot ;) but it's not the only factor.

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:

ChickenArise posted:

I'm in NC for the weekend so I'm stocking up on some of Lonerider's Sweet Josie and Aviator cans. I also bought way too many bombers of some stuff that I'm very excited about.
Where in NC are you? If you're in Raleigh stop by Tasty Beverage and grab a bomber or two of Fullsteam's Chombers One. It's really tasty (a Belgian pale that tastes like verbena, happiness and sunshine, seriously) and they only made 2012 bottles for TastyBev's anniversary. Well worth it at $7.50/pop.

Also curious as to what else you picked up :)

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Not in Raleigh this time (Charlotte), but I'll grab those over xmas.

So far, I've grabbed 6's of the aforementioned Sweet Josie and Hogwild (and some Hop Czar because I wanted a IIPA and it was 7.50) alongside some of Big Boss's Hell's Belle (a longtime favorite). For bombers I picked up 3 Nebraska Reserve series: stout, barleywine, and melange, some Indra Kunindra, Aviator Black Mamba, and Mother Earth's Window Pane Peaches.

I ended up changing my mind about a few things so I've got a couple others/extras to go swap today for something else. I don't think I saw any Fullsteam here, and I didn't see Mystery either. If I find time for it, I'll go to the real bottle shop instead of Total Wine and groceries.

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Sadly Chombers is the only beer Fullsteam has bottled at the moment, and I've only ever seen Mystery in growlers at the beer shops and Whole Foods. I like what I've had of theirs though.

If you get any more Aviator grab a Devil's Tramping Ground. Delicious tripel and it's usually $5-6 for a bomber.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I'm not a huge tripel fan these days, so I gave that one a pass (and still bought too much).

Does anyone have something good to say about Mother Earth's Window Pane peaches? Reviews seem like it might not be a great beer for the price tag. Hopefully I disagree.

It's also weird to find the Ballast Point and Caldera selection here. I get both of those in NoVA, but there's stuff in NC that I can't get (the Caldera fancy hoppy bombers/BP Indra Kunindra + Victory at Sea, specifically). Similarly, getting a bottle of Old Engine Oil for a few dollars felt like a steal compared to NoVA prices.

Dark Horse and Bridgeport - these could both stand to make a little VA stop on their distribution path. I'm excited to dig into this One Oatmeal stout.

In further adventures of my poor impulse control, I picked up some Foothills' Seeing Double DIPA, Big Boss's Night Knight (looove Big Boss), Olde Hickory Death by Hops and Event Horizon. Apparently I was lucky with my timing to find that Event Horizon, but I'm only marginally familiar with Olde Hickory.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Jesus h christ, I need about 4 livers to try all the beers I want to try on this list. Who did the Apex have to kill to get all that Evil Twin stuff?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

ChickenArise posted:

Dark Horse and Bridgeport - these could both stand to make a little VA stop on their distribution path. I'm excited to dig into this One Oatmeal stout.

Richmond gets it

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Who did the Apex have to kill to get all that Evil Twin stuff?

what are the serving sizes? i thought the prices might drop now that more Evil Twin is being brewed in the US, but it's still technically imported, so, no, still insane.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 25, 2012

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

funkybottoms posted:

what are the serving sizes? i thought the prices might drop now that more Evil Twin is being brewed in the US, but it's still technically imported, so, no, still insane.

For Imp. Biscotti Break it was $6 for 6oz and I felt it was money well spent.

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

ChickenArise posted:

Does anyone have something good to say about Mother Earth's Window Pane peaches? Reviews seem like it might not be a great beer for the price tag. Hopefully I disagree.
My roommate had it the other day and she really liked it. I haven't had it yet (and am not sure if I'll get any in time), but there's at least one tick in the plus column for you.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
A buddy is going to Vermont, other than Headdy Topper what should I have him look for? I'm giving him $40 to spend.

Edit: vvvvvv yeah I've heard great things about HF, any easily available ones I should tell him to look for?

Midorka fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 25, 2012

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Midorka posted:

A buddy is going to Vermont, other than Headdy Topper what should I have him look for? I'm giving him $40 to spend.

Having never had anything from them, Hill Farmstead has been getting beyond 3 Floyds levels of hype lately, so it might be a good idea to have them grab some of that.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Everything I've had from Hill Farmstead has been somewhere between great and revelatory. They're great enough I tried to work in a couple of extra days of vacation for Extreme Beerfest so I could rent a car and drive up to Hill's brewery, which is in the middle of loving nowhere in an actual farmstead.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

bartolimu posted:

Everything I've had from Hill Farmstead has been somewhere between great and revelatory. They're great enough I tried to work in a couple of extra days of vacation for Extreme Beerfest so I could rent a car and drive up to Hill's brewery, which is in the middle of loving nowhere in an actual farmstead.

if you bring some dank, i bet they will hook you up big-time. but, yes, the four HF beers i've had were all really loving good- if your buddy is going to be in a position to buy some of their beer, i'd give him more than $40. also, i understand that there's a nearby farmer's market where you can purchase HF, but it might be too late in the year for that.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

americanzero4128 posted:

I picked up a six pack of Brown Shugga and it was not what I was expecting. Another poster mentioned it, but I expected something a little sweeter and thicker. I got a hoppy taste up front, and the aftertaste was a mixture of sour and a hint of citrusy-ness. I've never had an American Barleywine before. Are they all similar to Brown Shugga?

Brown Shugga is not a barleywine, IMO. It doesn't really have the flavor profile of a barleywine and it doesn't age nearly as well as a barleywine. Most barleywines get better and more interesting with age whereas Brown Shugga just tastes like dull, oxidized Brown Shugga.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Lagunitas sucks.

Are they making that this year? It was sooooo good :( I can't find anything on their website, but I did find an article from May that said they planned on doing it.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

Brown Shugga is not a barleywine, IMO. It doesn't really have the flavor profile of a barleywine and it doesn't age nearly as well as a barleywine. Most barleywines get better and more interesting with age whereas Brown Shugga just tastes like dull, oxidized Brown Shugga.

Brown Shugga is probably the first Lagunitas beer that I don't care for. Not all is lost though as I also picked up some New Glarus Apple Ale and that stuff is beyond amazing.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

fullroundaction posted:

Lagunitas sucks.

Are they making that this year? It was sooooo good :( I can't find anything on their website, but I did find an article from May that said they planned on doing it.

It's either out already for the beginning of the year-round release, or will be soon.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003
Haven't had any of their beers personally, but for VT stuff, Lawson's seems to get plenty of praise.

And boy is $40 not enough for Heady Topper alone. Could drink that stuff like water everyday for the rest of my life.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Hypnolobster posted:

It's either out already for the beginning of the year-round release, or will be soon.

Sucks is actually just a seasonal again for 2012/2013, and it's coming late December/early January, with 32oz bottles limited market release in February. I'd bet that both it and DayTime will be year-round by the end of the year though.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Tried a bomber of Alpha Klaus tonight, and I loved it. I'm a huge 3floyds lover (we Hoosiers don't have much to be proud of, give me this much) and was not disappointed. Kind of reminded me of Sam Adams' Dark Depths (which I also highly recommend), with the notes you'd expect from a porter or stout, but with a strong hop kick backing it up. Would buy again.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Well, I'm pretty sure now that drinking a Left Hand Milk Nitro is not something you want to do if you're lactose intolerant (and you don't have a lactase pill). I really should have thought of that beforehand.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Manky posted:

Well, I'm pretty sure now that drinking a Left Hand Milk Nitro is not something you want to do if you're lactose intolerant (and you don't have a lactase pill). I really should have thought of that beforehand.

Weird, I'm lactose intolerant and never had any problems with it, I was just talking about that the other day to someone who asked actually.

As for Heady Topper+Hill Farmstead, am I right in assuming that Heady Topper is around $15 for a 4 pack, and each Hill Farmstead bomber will run around $15?

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Midorka posted:

Weird, I'm lactose intolerant and never had any problems with it, I was just talking about that the other day to someone who asked actually.

As for Heady Topper+Hill Farmstead, am I right in assuming that Heady Topper is around $15 for a 4 pack, and each Hill Farmstead bomber will run around $15?

Here's a sample of Hill Farmstead's menu from 2 weeks ago.

If you can't read it, it's around $7/750 ML fill, and $3 for a new 750 ml HF 750 ml bottle.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

some byo article posted:

As for the lactose — which is a fine, granulated sugar — Christoffel is hesitant to say exactly how much Lefthand adds to their brew, but recommends a range between 5% and 13%. “I find it is best to stay within 5–13% lactose. Thirteen percent is extreme and 5% is a nuance,” he says. “But I don’t want to stop anyone from experimenting ... you could still use 2% and it would create an interesting nuance. It really is an interesting ingredient that could be an interesting additive, but I’d shoot for somewhere more to center.”

Heim also recommends going easy on the lactose, at least at the beginning. While there is not a specific amount of lactose that would “ruin” a brew, too much sweetness can make any beer a little difficult to drink.

“I would caution about using too much lactose, which is easy to do,” he says, noting that at Lancaster he adds approximately 5.5% lactose to his batches. “Lactose is one-sixth the sweetness of sucrose, which is table sugar, so it’s not real sweet, but it
definitely can overpower if you put in too much. The lactose is subtle, but it might become a little over the top in sweetness.”

I miss living where I could get Lancaster stuff :(. Was just reading this yesterday and thought it was interesting/relevant to the lactose conversation.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Midorka posted:

Heady was around $12 when I went to the Alchemist. Stores were $12.99

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

lazerwolf posted:

Heady was around $12 when I went to the Alchemist. Stores were $12.99

Worth every loving penny. I need to set up a recurring trade deal with someone who loves Alpine and can get me cases of Heady.

Also, I had Stone's mix tape Volume 2 yesterday, it's practically all Old Guardian with some smoke (Porter I'm assuming) and maybe something like Self Righteous? I haven't checked what was blended in exactly. Good, but just give me 2011 OG instead if you're going to make a boozed up barleywine. The other new beer to me yesterday was Ballast Point's Brandy Barrel Aged Navigator, a Doppelbock. That was delicious, and is another reason to be excited about BP's expanding barrel aging and in-house spirit creation. Brandy + doppelbocks are an awesome combo.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

wattershed posted:

Worth every loving penny. I need to set up a recurring trade deal with someone who loves Alpine and can get me cases of Heady.

Also, I had Stone's mix tape Volume 2 yesterday, it's practically all Old Guardian with some smoke (Porter I'm assuming) and maybe something like Self Righteous? I haven't checked what was blended in exactly. Good, but just give me 2011 OG instead if you're going to make a boozed up barleywine. The other new beer to me yesterday was Ballast Point's Brandy Barrel Aged Navigator, a Doppelbock. That was delicious, and is another reason to be excited about BP's expanding barrel aging and in-house spirit creation. Brandy + doppelbocks are an awesome combo.

Last time I had Brandy Barrel Navigator it tasted like nail polish. I think they over barreled that one (if that's a word) Hopefully they've improved what they were doing since I haven't been a huge fan of the barreled stuff I've had from BP.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 26, 2012

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Kudosx posted:

Here's a sample of Hill Farmstead's menu from 2 weeks ago.

If you can't read it, it's around $7/750 ML fill, and $3 for a new 750 ml HF 750 ml bottle.

Can you only get their beer at their brewery? If so I'm SOL I think.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Drinking some Great Lakes Blackout Stout right now, what a great beer. Really makes me wish I hadn't moved out of the Great Lakes distribution range.

Also had some of their Cleveland Brown this weekend. Is that new? I had it on tap but didn't see it anywhere in bottles.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Midorka posted:

Can you only get their beer at their brewery? If so I'm SOL I think.

I believe you can get growler fills at some places that have their beer on draft. They don't distribute any bottles.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

RiggenBlaque posted:

Also had some of their Cleveland Brown this weekend. Is that new? I had it on tap but didn't see it anywhere in bottles.

I was reading reviews for Cleveland Brown recently, and it sounds like it was a seasonal beer a few years ago, but now it's now an on-tap only specialty beer. Some people here in NEOH go crazy for it every time around it's around, so I'm kind of surprised they decided to quit bottling it. I've personally never tried it, although I have seen it on tap. What did you think of it?

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Kudosx posted:

I was reading reviews for Cleveland Brown recently, and it sounds like it was a seasonal beer a few years ago, but now it's now an on-tap only specialty beer. Some people here in NEOH go crazy for it every time around it's around, so I'm kind of surprised they decided to quit bottling it. I've personally never tried it, although I have seen it on tap. What did you think of it?

I thought it was yet another solid, no-frills, non-eXXTremE beer from GL.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

RiggenBlaque posted:

I'm guessing Cleveland Brown tastes like depression and disappointment with a bitter aftertaste

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I finally tried Left Hand's Milk Stout that I've been ignoring for ages. Turns out I actually really liked it and want more similar to it. What should I be looking for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Milk Stouts or other sweet stouts. I haven't had many that are quite on the same level that the Left Hand Milk Stout is, they really have a pretty magnificent milk stout.