Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

dtb posted:

Galaxy Nexus running 4.1 now.
I'd love to see a screenshot of this magical one button approach that you're describing.
I think you have an iPhone because that's how it works on iOS ;)

Your wish is my command. Android 4.1.1 HTC One X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

USDA Choice posted:

Your wish is my command. Android 4.1.1 HTC One X

If you see that little keyboard at the top, on Honeycomb that button actives a long list of all the different inputs you have installed. It's pretty slick.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Yep, that button there.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

I like to traveling world and take pictures of.
Yea I don't have that button. I have to go up to the top and pull down from the notification bar.

Is that a non-standard keyboard or something?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Looks standard to me.

How do you get screenshots like that?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
That might be an HTC vs Samsung thing?

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

TetsuoTW posted:

I guess you got a lovely phone or something, because at least on both of my phones it literally has been just press one button to cycle between English, Chinese handwriting, and Chinese keyboard. Admittedly I haven't added any other languages in, so maybe once you get past two it sucks, but I've never had to go through that convoluted process since swapping out zhuyin for pinyin.

i have this, but add danish to the.

admittedly, i don't flick between them so much, but it's p instant

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Haraksha posted:

Looks standard to me.

gonna assume, not root required screenshot app

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

url posted:

gonna assume, not root required screenshot app

I am confused by this statement. Is it ironic?

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

At a deadly pace it came from... outer space!

Haraksha posted:

Looks standard to me.

Usually you hold down the power button and push the 'Home' button. Works that way on all Apple and Android devices I've seen.

Also I'm declaring my membership to the effortless language switching on Android club (HTC Sensation LE WithTM BeatsTM byTM DreTM.)

Oz_Bonus fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Nov 24, 2012

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Spanish Matlock posted:

That might be an HTC vs Samsung thing?
Yeah at this point that's all I can see it being.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

Well gently caress, I'm even more thoroughly disappointed with Google these days.

The whole reason I bought a Nexus branded phone was because I didn't want it to have all the restrictions.
HOWEVER it turns out that you can't do personal wifi spot, carrier still controls the OS updates, it was locked to the carrier unless you pay the carrier to unlock it (and even then it may randomly rel-ock and you have to go back to the carrier again) and now the keyboard situation.

Basically lesson learnt, stay away from Android. Apple won by making the carriers bend. Google should have tried to use some of their clout to defend the consumer; guess not.

So anyways, the physical phone that is the Galaxy Nexus is pretty good (little huge and the virtual home button problems aside) but the OS sucks is my conclusion.
They need to get some constancy amongst all these Android phones because right now they're all destroying the brand for each other.

Get an iPhone 5.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

p. sure that's not "stay away from Android," that's "stay away from Samsung."

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

TetsuoTW posted:

Yeah but I'm talking about the Galaxy Nexus; the Nexus is supposed to be the one that Google 'endorses' as the standard, to show what can be done with 'the power of Android' and is for developers.

I'll go post on Google+ about it, then only Google employees will hear me bitch.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I actually don't mind google+ because of the What's Hot or whatever they call it. Seem times some interesting stuff shows up.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Well, it seems a lot like the cellphone industry sucks. I don't have any of those issues on my tablet because there's no carrier to interfere. Maybe my opinion would be totally different if I had 3G on it.

At the same time, I don't think the keyboard input had anything to do with the carrier. I think that was something goofy going on with that particular model because no one else seems to have that problem.

It seems to be the same as saying, "Don't use Windows, use Apple," because Windows is a software and the hardware isn't standardized but windows is a wholly contained experience.

Yes, you're going to get different results with different combinations of Android and hardware, but that just means you should research what you're buying before you do.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

Seems to be more "Stay away from Samsung phones with Google branding". My Samsung Galaxy Note does everything these HTC phones do, hell I even got an update from 2.whatever to 4.0 last spring on my European phone while I was in the US using an AT&T gophone simcard before the phone was even available in the US. I can use it as a personal hot spot, etc...

Pictures in native resolution so you can all imagine holding that in your hand like I do every day!

Obviously hitting the 中 switches from Chinese to English input. Hitting the button next to the enter/return key brings up a bunch of possible inputs:

my favorite 成语

for Chinese and

for English if you are super pro with old fashion 9key input, I guess!

Seems like dtb just picked the wrong samsung android phone since my Samsung does everything he wants his too.

It is loving ginormous, though.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 25, 2012

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
In my experience, it doesn't matter what phone I get, it will always have something with it that makes me mad.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I could have sworn that at some point when I was first looking into coming to Taiwan someone posted that it was impossible to get a phone contract in Taiwan since most contracts were for two years and an ARC was only for one year. Is that not the case anymore?

I want to get a fancy smartphone but I don't know much about any of this.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
ARCs are for as long as your contract is. My ARC is for two years at a time.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I got a two year phone contract on a 1 year ARC very easily. They even told me that I could cancel after a year and get my deposit back. All with an ARC and a scan of my passport. It was suspiciously easy.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Like basically anything that involves paperwork in Taiwan, it depends almost entirely on the person you deal with. I got a contract once without even a scan of my passport and a month or two into a one-year ARC, and I've been refused a contract just because I was a month or two into a one-year ARC. There's neither rhyme nor reason behind any of it beyond the individual's friendliness and their willingness to make any kind of effort for a foreigner.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure ChangHwa Telecom offers a 1 year contract for smart phones now. I was going to get one a while back, but they couldn't do it because I was too far into my 1 year contract.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Haraksha posted:

I am confused by this statement. Is it ironic?

no irony intended: power+home is handy, but, more advanced/cool screenshot apps often need bona-fide root access

something something system wide interrupt over-ride & sandboxed permissions meaning sudo is lovely because p/w entry requirement would gently caress the screenshot, idk, ymmv, my2c, imho, ianal, idgaf :P

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Power+Home did not work on my tablet. :(

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

TetsuoTW posted:

Like basically anything that involves paperwork in Taiwan, it depends almost entirely on the person you deal with. I got a contract once without even a scan of my passport and a month or two into a one-year ARC, and I've been refused a contract just because I was a month or two into a one-year ARC. There's neither rhyme nor reason behind any of it beyond the individual's friendliness and their willingness to make any kind of effort for a foreigner.

I just recently got my scooter license renewed. Last time it was only 4 months since I got it to the end of my ARC. I walked in with the proper docs and she gave me 5 years this time and told me not to tell anyone. She could have refused and made me retest because it had been so long since the original expired.

Also when I applied for my ARC I went in with everything in triplicate and copies originals and had everything ready didn't need to use their copy machine. I only had a 1" photo instead of 2" but she said it was ok. She seemed hesitant and easily could have said no and been in the right. A smile and some preparation really go far with bureaucracy

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I've had amazingly helpful people too, don't get me wrong. I'm just saying be ready, because it feels like it's basically a 50-50 shot whether you get someone awesome and helpful or someone who's in a strop and just looking for someone to screw over (and considering how underpaid and overworked most of them are, I'm surprised the odds aren't worse). Definitely go in fully prepared and polite - doing otherwise is just going to tilt the odds all the way over to "hosed" - but don't be surprised if you get jerked around for no discernible reason.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
5 years is normal for license renewal now. Why she told you not to tell? Who knows.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

thegoat posted:

5 years is normal for license renewal now. Why she told you not to tell? Who knows.

Yeah, both of my licenses (renewed motorcycle and brand new car) are for 5-6 years.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Really weird, cause I came to ask about if anyone knew about renewing licenses.

I got my license last November, right after I got my new ARC, and they set the expiration date on the license to match my ARC's expiration date.

Well, I intended to renew it before it expired and after I got my new ARC, but there ended up being a delay with my ARC processing and now I won't actually get my new ARC in hand until after my old one was set to expire.

Am I going to be hosed when I try to renew my license after I get my new ARC, since the license will be expired? It was kind of out of my hands, I mean, I could retake the test and pass it with no problems, I'm sure, but I'd much rather not. It's only going to be about a week's difference in time, and I imagine Taiwanese people must forget to renew their licenses and don't immediately need to retest if they've expired by a week, right?

Also, I moved across the country for my new job, I wouldn't suppose anyone would know if I'll have any problems handling this all at the new local DMV thingy, wherever that may be. Just wondering if I have to go back to the place it was issued or what.

It's super cool to not know where everything is after moving, it's like being in Taiwan for the first time again!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I am like 99% certain my license was expired because the same thing happened to me. There wasn't an issue.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

n/m

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
My license had been expired for is six years and I had an outstanding ticket. When I went in they informed me the ticket time had expired so I didn't need to pay and that they could renew my license without issue.

Taiwan!

Pocket: Where did you move?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Good to know I shouldn't have too many problems, thanks guys!

I've moved up north to Yingge, which is in New Taipei City by Sanxia and Shulin. Sad to say that I'm now one less in the small group of southern Taiwan goons.

It's pretty much 100% E/N, but after my relationship with my girlfriend of 4 years ended back in February, it seemed like a move might be prudent. She was the reason I was in the south in the first place, and I felt like I kind of needed a change of environment anyway.

I didn't really have a big social network there since I spent most of my time with her, and it seemed like I wasn't doing too well on expanding that network after I was out on my own, haha. I had some friends in Taichung and around Taipei, and I found myself just leaving town every weekend, so in the end when a job offer came up here I just decided to take it. Figured I at least know a few people here that I enjoy hanging out with, so I'm not in a complete bubble, and the law of bigger numbers as far as people to meet around Taipei along with the change in scenery may mean I can kinda kick myself out of the funk I was in.

...or I just spent a lot of time, effort, and money in a futile attempt to run away from my problems, who knows?

I kinda have really mixed feelings on leaving Tainan because there was nothing about the location or the city itself that I didn't like. It was my first home in Taiwan and really my first home in my adult life being on my own, and it's a pretty special place. I guess if I end up hating it here I can always go back, haha.

Okay, that's enough E/N rambling, sorry about that.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
So lunch or beers tonight then Chomp?
edit: Though the rain is really lovely right now.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 26, 2012

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yeah, it's been pretty lame, although I'm told this is something I should get used to.

I think stuff is gonna be kinda super busy for me for at least a week or so. I've only been here since late Saturday night. I just showed up to an apartment filled with boxes and absolutely nothing else set up. I've managed to get my bed, computer, and fridge functioning, but yeah... there's a lot to do still yet. Also, work pretty much started off with a bang, no easing in (or even training) the new guy here, so, yeah. I'd be down to do something though once I get somewhat settled and acclimated to my new set up.

Also I'm kind of a lame idiot that doesn't drink, hope that's not too much of a bummer.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Also I'm kind of a lame idiot that doesn't drink, hope that's not too much of a bummer.

Do you play Battletech?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Haha, I had to look it up on Wikipedia, so I guess that should be your answer. But I'm always down to learn new forms of tabletop nerdery.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Well, if you can handle holding multiple numbers in your head simultaneously, it's the best tabletop game ever made. I have a ton of little robots that haven't gotten to pretend to shoot lasers in forever.

That's fine that you don't drink, but do you avoid situations where people do? There's a regular get together between me and some people in the area, but most of the guys drink pretty hard. The girls usually only have one or two. Still, it's a good time with some decent (non-goon) folks from Sanxia and Yingge.

Also, we're thinking of putting together a weekly pool game at the hall across the street from my apartment. It's not the best place, but it usually has an open table. You will be stared at, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sterling_Archer
May 10, 2012

"What do you mean we're not in compliance?"
Just finally got a chance to read through the entire thread and I have a couple of questions, if that's alright. I'm looking to move to Taiwan this coming June/July (2013) and am having trouble finding answers to a couple things.

I'm an avid motorcycle rider/scooter rider in the states: What CC scooter should I be looking at for a regular commuter scooter? How hard is it to find lower CC motorcycles? (250-600cc stuff) With how rainy it is, is a scooter flat-out better?

And on to nerdery: I saw some goons do some tabletop gaming, which I've never done but looks interesting; Are there any PC gaming goons out there that can give me the down-low on the community, ability to play/speeds, need for VPNs?